New Mafiascum Adminstrator: AniX

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:03 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

How could you let them do this to you
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her, they/them

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:20 am

Post by Aisa »

It... staggers me that there is someone willing to adminster this website... and that there have been others in the past... but I am very thankful!
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:53 am

Post by RH9 »

In post 0, AniX wrote: Hello, users of Mafiascum!

As of this post, zoraster is stepping down from the role of Adminstrator and I will be stepping up to fill that position. Over the next week or so, we’ll be working out the hard transfer of powers behind the scenes, so if you are reading this and my name isn’t red yet, that’s why!

If this is our first interaction, hello! If this is our 11,000th interaction, hello again!

I want to start by giving a shout-out to our outgoing Zor. Serving as a Listmod from 2013 and the admin since 2015, he has given a decade to the site and we’d be in much worse shape without his stoic leadership. He has done his service, now I hope he gets the free time to enjoy it! Make sure to thank him if you see him around!

Mafiascum has been a home to me for coming up on 20 years now. The site has seen me through virtually every aspect of my entire adult life: I joined when I hadn’t even finished puberty yet and now I’m a full grown adult licensed attorney. There have been times when I was less engaged with the site, checking the big threads every week or so to see what was happening. There was times when I was TOO engaged, refreshing my ego search every couple minutes. I’ve been a game design wunderkind, hurriedly drafting a mafia variant in AIM. Mafiascum was here for that, lovingly adopting it, and me, as its own. I’ve been a Mafia retiree, having quit withdrawn from playing the game before some users here were even born. Mafiascum has been here for that too, giving me a community of people who all came to play Mafia but stayed for all the other people who came to play. I’ve been a member of Mafiascum for longer than I was not a member (because it didn’t exist yet!) and that means something to me. This site means something to me. I am humbled to be given the steering wheel to guide it into its next era and I plan to hit the ground running.

While we've mostly ironed out all the kinks of our LONG-AWAITED upgrade (man, imagine if Zor let me ride in on a wave of shiny new site? I would have been a true hero.) there is still a lot that can be done regarding how the site is run or how it operates that we can tweak in little ways (or even some not so little ways) to make better. Specifics on those will come out as required, but right now I just want to give a few general statements on what my priorities will be as the New Administrator.

Transparency: I think the user base has never been more clear or more united on the need for the transparency from the moderator team and you can count me among those users. In my view, transparency starts from the top down and that is how I intend to serve. I hope I have demonstrated in my role as Discussion moderator over these past two years that transparency is something I highly value as well. If you appreciated or found helpful me serving as sort of the “Moderation Mouthpiece” over the past two years, you will be glad to hear I do not have any intention to stop in my new role. Obviously, I will not speak over the moderators. They will often have information or insight I do not and I will be entrusting them to have a wide degree of latitude to make decisions and reach conclusions and I will not speak for them on those decisions and those conclusions. But I will be reading threads and I will be posting in threads. If I see you ask a question and I can answer it, I will. If you have a question and want me to answer it, if you see me in a thread, ask me. If it is private, send me a PM. If you need me, the bookmark I have for this website is literally a search for my name, namedrop me and I’ll find it. This is your site, I’m just a person who works here. Having worked with the moderation team for the past two years now, I know they share the exact same values (although you’ll probably need to get their attention the old fashioned way).

In the weeks ahead, I plan to announce more direct methods for you to interact with me and the moderation team, including specifically periodic live Discord “town halls” where you can be heard and responded to by me in real time.

Safety: I think in the past few years, the site has really turned a corner on insuring that vulnerable populations are safe and protected on this site. We’ve gone from giving only nominal acknowledgment that vulnerable people have a place on Mafiascum to actually making sure they do. I want to continue that trend by shoring up existing protections and devising new ways to provide a welcoming and safe environment. To be sure, there is a lot more work to do on that front, but I and the rest of the moderation team are committed to doing so. LGBTIAQ+ users generally and trans users specifically, non-binary users plural systems, Users of color, disabled users, neurodiverse users, and every other power-minority group, each and every one is not simply welcome on the site, they are a CRITICAL part of the site without which the site would be worse off and potentially not exist at all. As a trans non-binary asexual who heads a diverse moderation team, we have skin the game when it comes to this issue. If you aren’t safe, chances are some of US aren’t safe. This site, beyond the games, beyond the discussion, is a community and the community is only as safe as it is for its most vulnerable member. That is the principle we as a moderation team will continue to move forward with. And if we flounder (or are currently floundering), I hope users will let us know how we can start swimming again.

Innovation: I don’t think it is any secret to anyone here that internet forums are not what they used to be. Interest is down across the board, even from just a few years ago, and it doesn’t seem likely it will reverse any time soon. That said, this site is a fantastic, unique place and it deserves to remain so for many more years yet. I am committed to exploring every possible route to revitalize the site and increase user acquisition, retention, and engagement. It will not be easy, we are fighting Web 3.0, but it is a fight worth having. Re-indexing GD was a good first step, but it was only a first step and in the coming weeks I will be exploring new options, both internally and externally, for slowing, freezing, and hopefully reversing the downward trend in site usage we’ve seen. The moderation team has some ideas that will be unveiled hopefully soon, but users should feel both free and encouraged to message me or any member of the moderation team if they have any ideas of their own. Reinvigorating a community is a community effort and I look forward to doing so with you.

This is, of course, not all-encompassing for the values of myself or the moderation team, but I hope it serves as a good indication to you all what sort of administration I intend to lead. I’m sorry if it seemed, at parts, a bit PR languagey: Unfortunately, the same principles of clarity I seek to apply uses the same language style as PR “specific language” used to seem to speak on something but not actually speak on it. I hope the impression I gave was the former. If it wasn’t, I trust those who know me know that among my virtues nobody would list “gladhander”. In any case, if this post makes you feel hopeful, I hope to live up to that hope. If it makes you feel cautious, I hope to prove your caution unnecessary. Thank you for the opportunity to be part of the next phase of Mafiascum with you.

And so, for the second time, I present myself to you, Daniel “AniX” Anix, Mafiascum Administrator.
Congrats, AniX! :tada:
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:41 am

Post by Bingle »

In post 16, mith wrote:
In post 9, Radical Rat wrote:
Spoiler: Someone had to do it
AniX's first act as admin will be to ban all potential Simbas.
We still have yet to see if AniX follows through on their campaign promises of not starving the hyenas.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:05 pm

Post by tris »

In post 20, schadd_ wrote: man things are gonna be hard for me psychologically now that i can't blame zor when i, for example, stub my toe
what tha fuck. i just stubbed my toe right as i read this message
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:07 pm

Post by tris »

thank you, anix, for quickly healing my toe injured by the vile schadd.
here's what it says
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:11 pm

Post by Alisae »

Really looking forward to seeing if innovation can truly bring new users to the website
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:16 pm

Post by Firebringer »

so Anix finally took over the site.

Never thought i would see the day
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:52 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

lit
To be clear: quack
iamveryhappy
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
iamveryhappy
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:04 am

Post by iamveryhappy »

we have to topple this pyramid scheme
send in the troops quick
(gz)
iavh is slightly annoyed
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:10 am

Post by SirCakez »

I for one welcome my new overlord
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:27 pm

Post by N »

who
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:00 pm

Post by yessiree »

In post 35, SirCakez wrote: I for one welcome my new overlord
Hamiens
Hamiens
Watcher
Hamiens
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:18 pm

Post by Hamiens »

In post 9, Radical Rat wrote:
Spoiler: Someone had to do it
In post 25, Thestatusquo wrote: How could you let them do this to you

I want to be remembered as having gone out surfing
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:52 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

Congrats!
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:11 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Congrats AniX <3
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:25 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Congratudolences! XD

I'm sorry to hear Zor is stepping down, but I'm glad we have a strong and dedicated person stepping into the role!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:45 pm

Post by Merlyn »

Wow, this was an incredible post. Mad respect to all admins past and present- that is a mount everest of a job and I know I benefit from it.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:51 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Belated condolences, Anix!
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:34 am

Post by Porochaz »

I thought mith put in failsafes so this wouldn't happen again... bloody tigers...

Congrats Anix
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.

Return to “News”