[M] Newbie 1440: Maestro's Manic Mafia - DAY 3

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

[M] Newbie 1440: Maestro's Manic Mafia - DAY 3

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Post by Maestro »

This game's "flavor" will be, at all times, dependent only on whatever I want it to be.

Official Playerlist:
  1. scotpgot
  2. Atlasblade
  3. aphix
  4. Naio
  5. pirate mollie
    SplashMaster

6. Peabody %
  7. theslimer3 %
  8. Smudger %
  9. The Acting Method $
% - indicates a Semi-Experienced (SE) player, a player who has played at least two games on MafiaScum.net
$ - indicates the Inexperience-Challenged (IC) player, a player who has volunteered for a teaching position in this Newbie Game
(their play is governed by the MafiaWiki article on Being a good IC)

A Note About SE's and IC's (by Glork)The purpose of the SE (Semi-Experienced) and IC (Inexperience-Challenged) players in this game is to help Newbies understand how the game is played on mafiascum.net. If you have any questions about abbreviations, etiquette, mafia theory, etc., do not hesitate to ask your IC. Newbie games are meant to be educational. That said, remember the following things:
  • Because roles were assigned randomly, do not assume that your IC or SE players are town. They will provide you good theory-based information regardless of their alignment, but they are no more likely to be town than any other player in the game.

• There are no stupid questions! If you are unclear about any mafia-related questions ask your IC in thread. The answer to your questions will likely be helpful to everyone in the game.

• The tells and advice listed in the wiki, though useful, will only get you so far. Your IC and SE should be vastly more helpful than the wiki, as they will always be up-to-date.

Spoiler: List of the Living
scotpgot
Atlasblade
Naio
Peabody
theslimer3

Spoiler: List of the Dead
pirate mollie
SplashMaster
-
Mafia Goon
, Lynched Day 1
aphix -
Vanilla Townie
, Killed Night 1
The Acting Method -
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched Day 2
Smudger -
Town Cop
, Killed Night 2

Spoiler: List of the Disgraced (Modkills)

RULES
Spoiler:
All Site-wide Game Rules are in effect.

This is my color. Don't use my color.

* You are expected to be an active participant in this game. Players who have not posted for 2 days [48 hours] will be prodded for inactivity.
* After a prod is sent, players have 2 days [48 hours] to respond
IN-THREAD
in some way, or I will start searching for a replacement.
* If, at any time, a player has received 3 prods for inactivity, I may or may not issue another prod. I will start searching for a replacement.

* If you would like to request replacement or declare V/LA at any time, please PM me.
* If you have a personal problem with another player's activity/posting, please PM me.

* Days will be 2 weeks [14 days] in length. Deadline exceptions will only be made in extremely rare circumstances.
* Nights will be 2 days [48 hours] in length. Night deadline exceptions will only be made to accomodate Nighttime replacements.

* Votes will only be counted if they are in a format such as
Vote: Maestro
or VOTE: Maestro and must be on a separate line of text and outside of any spoiler tag. (I will not be held accountable for having missed your vote if this rule is not adhered to.)

* You MAY vote for the option to "No Lynch".
* If "No Lynch" has the most votes at deadline or receives a majority at any point, there will be "No Lynch".
* This is the only way to achieve a "No Lynch" - regular lynching is achieved through plurality. (The first one with the most votes at deadline is lynched.)

* Upon being Lynched or dying overnight, players may make one "Bah!"-type post after they are officially dead. This post may not contain game-related information or any knowledge they may have of the game's setup or the other players. This rule will be enforced by a Modkill or other action that would harm the offending player's faction.

AND FINALLY:

I am aware that I make mistakes. Please PM me about any I may make or address me in bold in-thread.
Do not hash out issues with me in-thread unless the entire playerlist would benefit.

SETUP
Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

This game has been given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles have be filled in by Mafia Goons and Vanilla Townies appropriately, to create a 2-Mafia and 7-Town setup. For example Row 1 (1 Jailkeeper, 1 Vanilla Townie, 1 Mafia Goon) would add an additional 5 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon, for a total setup of 1 Jailkeeper, 6 Vanilla Townies, and 2 Mafia Goons.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-Shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.
Last edited by Maestro on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:48 am

Post by Maestro »

All Role PMs have been sent - please confirm by restating your Role to me via PM.

7 / 7
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Post by Maestro »

Day 1 begins now!

Votecount 1.01 - Monday, October 21st @ 4:02 AM EST

scotpgot -
[L-5]

Atlasblade -
[L-5]

aphix -
[L-5]

Naio -
[L-5]

SplashMaster -
[L-5]

Peabody -
[L-5]

Ravenpaw -
[L-5]

Smudger -
[L-5]

The Acting Method -
[L-5]

With
[9]
alive it takes
[5]
to Lynch or No Lynch.

Not Voting:
scotpgot, Atlasblade, aphix, Naio, SplashMaster, Peabody, Ravenpaw, Smudger, The Acting Method
Deadline is in ... (expired on 2013-11-04 04:02:00)
scotpgot
scotpgot
Townie
scotpgot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 am

Post by scotpgot »

Good morning.

VOTE: SplashMaster

because it sounds urinal-based.
Atlasblade
Atlasblade
Townie
Atlasblade
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:27 am

Post by Atlasblade »

Vote: Smudger

I hate smudges on my clothes
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:18 am

Post by The Acting Method »

td lr: The following is a general introduction to myself as well as what you can expect from me with some commentary about the strategy behind the RVS stage, I've pretty much
stole
borrowed this intro from Thor665, who is pretty awesome player. Please read on if you are a first time player or want to read the information, if not feel free to skip. I have also included information about RQS stage, It's slightly more controversial and disliked cousin. Please note that when the equal signs appear, I suggest you read as there's information that's need to know.

IC Intro
Greetings,

I am
Thor665
The Acting Method and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a Good IC
That article is part of our amazing Mafiawiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player). I also like to combine this with what its called the RQS (Random Questioning Stage) Which I tend to use alot in newbies. Basically the idea behind the RQS stage is to gather information and start getting people to ask questions and answer them. People believe that it forces people to take a stance on something and thus can benefit town while others believe that it merely stagnate's gameplay. It's purpose however is practically identical to the RVS stage and can be handy.

===========================================================================================================================================================

Now, since I have concluded my great wall of text, first some general housekeeping questions: (Note, my RQS questions are referred to as general housekeeping questions.)

Okay a few General Housekeeping questions I like to ask:
1. What time zone are you in?
2. How often do you expect to be on and posting?
3. How many games have you played in?
4. What is your opinion on Lynch all Lurkers/Liars?
5. What side do you prefer playing as?

My answers:
1. GMT -8:00 hours. (That's Pacific time.)
2. I expect to post at least once a day if not more. I'll also try to avoid double posting if I can.
3. Maybe about 5 or 6 here now. (Maybe more due to loss in crash, many of my games here were lost in the crash) Several games off site (all on same site though) where I'm also a regular mod.
4. Vote prodding lurkers is acceptable, I'm not to big on replacing, (if I replace out it's a sign of frustration, not one of alignment) Voting liars is recommended when it is discovered. Both in my opinion are situational. If you are on a site like the one I come from, and most of the mafia players (by this I mean people who play mafia) are already in the game lynching an inactive or a lurker is a decent policy, just to keep the game alive. I would not recommend it here (save maybe some of the larger games where people wait for replacements for periods of time.)
5. I enjoy town far more than scum.

Now, finally,
VOTE: Ravenpaw
Raven's don't have paws.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.

Theater Season Mafia STARTING SOON!!!!
scotpgot
scotpgot
Townie
scotpgot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:25 am

Post by scotpgot »

???
Okay a few General Housekeeping questions I like to ask:
Eastern. Um...GMT -4:00, maybe? 5:00?

Very often. At least a few times a day.

A handful irl. None online.

I think lurking is more or less ok, but we'll get to lynching lurkers eventually. I just can't find an equation where lack of evidence = evidence against. Liars, OTOH, is a completely different matter. Lying and/or manipulating, I feel, is a sure sign of scum.

That said, I feel like I should mention two things. The first is that I'm not a huge fan of dinner-party questionnaires online. I won't be answering what my favorite color or which True Blood 'ship I'm into (clue: none). It's nobody's business. Two: I've been in online forums for well over a decade now, so my tone may come across as "familiar", especially for a "newb". That is a result of my familiarity with the medium, not so much of trying to be dishonest about who I am or my experience.

Don't know yet. First game.
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:37 am

tdlr basically translates to "The abridged version" And is used when making long posts that are also known as "Walls"

I'm a bit curious about your side answer as it doesn't mesh to me with question 3, which is about Mafia games (as I believe you realized)

I fail to see how the thing about "dinner party questionnaires" is entirely relevant (especially your example questions which would be perfect examples of a Bad RQS.)

scotpgot
scotpgot
Townie
scotpgot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:45 am

Post by scotpgot »

In my reading (in a game that I don't think is completed yet so I won't mention specifics) there was an RQS which was a good example of what I am talking about. You'll notice I *did* answer all your questions, so was not referring specifically to these. I wrote the "side answer" as a response to question 4, because there may be a time I may refuse to answer or list my occupation as "astronaut" (making me a liar) because I am generally against answering those types of questions.
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 am

Ahhh that makes sense.

Though I admit, you didn't quite answer my actual question but that was my fault since I mistyped and didn't notice.

Your answers to question 5 and 3 don't mesh well to me. You seem to have played mafia before in real life, but yet you don't know which side you prefer (mafia or town) since you've never played a game of online Mafia?

Explain that.

scotpgot
scotpgot
Townie
scotpgot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:58 am

Post by scotpgot »

A
handful
of games in real life. Two? Three, maybe? And years ago. I don't even remember if it was mafia or some other variant that is essentially the same game. So I really don't know.
Naio
Naio
Goon
Naio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:13 am

Post by Naio »

VOTE: The Acting MethodVOTE:

Mostly because he used TD;LR instead of TL;DR

TL;DR = "too long, didnt read". "TD;LR" = ????

Anyway i'll answer:
Eastern US
~1-2 times per day
1st online, though i've been watching a stream esportsmafia that they do each week which is why i'm here
in a long game like this i wouldnt mind lynching lurkers, but lynching liars is a no-brainer
i enjoy town with a special role, but if this was a real-life game i'd say mafia.
Naio
Naio
Goon
Naio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:15 am

Post by Naio »

In post 11, Naio wrote:VOTE: The Acting MethodVOTE:
I fail at life. adding vote for real this time.

VOTE: The Acting Method
Naio
Naio
Goon
Naio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:15 am

Post by Naio »

In post 12, Naio wrote:
In post 11, Naio wrote:VOTE: The Acting MethodVOTE:
I fail at lifex2. adding vote for real this time.

VOTE: The Acting Method
Naio
Naio
Goon
Naio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 am

Post by Naio »

OK i give up. can someone tell me how to vote?
scotpgot
scotpgot
Townie
scotpgot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 am

Post by scotpgot »

Code: Select all

[vote]The Acting Method[/vote]
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 am

Post by Peabody »

VOTE: Naio

Serious vote ^

You seem pretty set on voting someone in effort to be silly. Trying to fit in, are we?
SplashMaster
SplashMaster
Townie
SplashMaster
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:02 am

Post by SplashMaster »

Howdy everyone, words cannot describe how excited I am here!

In response to the questions...

-(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)
-Probably often, me and my laptop are inseparable.
-Zero.
-I guess its alright, if it makes the game go faster.
-I gotta admit, scum side has a certain "the world is against you" kind of appeal to it.
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:06 am

Post by Peabody »

Splashmaster wrote:4. What is your opinion on Lynch all Lurkers/Liars?
Don't like this.
scotpgot
scotpgot
Townie
scotpgot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:25 am

Post by scotpgot »

In post 5, The Acting Method wrote: 3. Maybe about 5 or 6 here now. (Maybe more due to loss in crash, many of my games here were lost in the crash) Several games off site (all on same site though) where I'm also a regular mod.
I'm confused by this answer, because a pretty cursory search of topics you've posted in yields nearly a dozen games, plus a few micros/minis. Please explain how that translates to "five or six".
scotpgot
scotpgot
Townie
scotpgot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:28 am

Post by scotpgot »

In post 16, Peabody wrote:VOTE: Naio

Serious vote ^

You seem pretty set on voting someone in effort to be silly. Trying to fit in, are we?
In post 18, Peabody wrote:
Splashmaster wrote:4. What is your opinion on Lynch all Lurkers/Liars?
Don't like this.
Two accusations before the RQS are even answered.

Feeling a little aggressive, are we?
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:31 am

Post by Peabody »

It's not that I'm feeling aggressive. It's that I'm pointing things out as I see them occur.

What makes you think that second post was an accusation?
SplashMaster
SplashMaster
Townie
SplashMaster
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:03 am

Post by SplashMaster »

In post 21, Peabody wrote:It's not that I'm feeling aggressive. It's that I'm pointing things out as I see them occur.

Feeling a little defensive, are we?
aphix
aphix
Mafia Scum
aphix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:13 am

Post by aphix »

@TAM: 1. PST 2. I try to keep from flooding the board. I have a phone available constantly. But aim for 1-2 posts a day. More if the game is flowing but if the active players flood the board it makes lurking and probably other things easier. 3. Completed one game here a few irl. 4. Against most policy lunches except in terms of a game stall. Don't personally think it helps town. 5. No preference.

Although I agree with Peabody in what he posted the timing is dirty for me.

VOTE: Peabody

I did plan on rvs atlas blade as I hate smudges on my glasses various screens and windows I don't often consider stains smudges.
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am

Post by Peabody »

In post 22, SplashMaster wrote:
In post 21, Peabody wrote:It's not that I'm feeling aggressive. It's that I'm pointing things out as I see them occur.

Feeling a little defensive, are we?
Well which is it? Am I defensive or aggressive?

Passive aggressive questions are a wonderful way to cast doubt on someone without putting yourself in the lime-light.

Note to self (and all listening): if Splash flips scum, watch scot.

Aphix, if you agree with me, what is more well-timed than a vote right after the offense?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”