Newbie 1720: Arctic Mafia - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Newbie 1720: Arctic Mafia - Game over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:27 am

Post by SirCakez »

Alive

boring
- Survived -
Mafia Goon

Dead

CCC
LazyLump
- Lynched Day 1 -
Vanilla Townie

Dunnstral (SE)
- Killed Night 1 -
Vanilla Townie

Rosske
Skrub
Ish
Wirt
- Lynched Day 2 -
Mafia Goon

Wake88
Aragorn The Ranger
- Killed Night 2 -
Town Doctor

ChaosOmega (SE)
Apricity
- Lynched Day 3 -
Vanilla Townie

Drixx (IC)
- Killed Night 3 -
Town Tracker

hayatoBL (SE)
- Lynched Day 4 -
Vanilla Townie

innocentvillager
House
ChipsandSalsa
- Endgamed Day 4 -
Vanilla Townie
Last edited by SirCakez on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:31 am

Post by SirCakez »

Rules

1. All sitewide rules apply. Do not break them.
2. Do not quote any PMs received from the moderator in thread. You may paraphrase.
3. Do not contact other players about the game outside the game thread. This includes PMs and off-site communications.
4. Play to your win condition.
5. Do not use tiny text, cryptography or anything along those lines.
6. Do not bring provable randomness into the game. This includes dice tags.
7. Keep it civil. Do not flame or personally attack other players. Attack the play, not the player.
8 Do not impersonate the moderator.
This is my color. Don't use it.

8. If you die you are allowed one "Bah" post. Do not include anything game related in your post.
9. Each day phase will last 14 days and each night phase will last 2 days.
10. Players who have not posted for 48 hours will receive a prod. After receiving a prod, a player has 24 hours to post before I will begin seeking a replacement. If a player receives three prods they will be replaced.
11. If you are goimg to be away for an extended period of time, please let me know to go V/LA. Players on V/LA will be exempt from the prod rules above.
12. Use vote tags or bold tags to place votes. As long as it can be reasonably interpeted as a vote I will accept it. Do not attempt to use this rule to engage in vote trickery. Nicknames are acceptable as long as it is clear who the vote is for. Examples of acceptable votes:
VOTE: SirCakez
Vote: SirCakez

Vote:
SirCakez
13. Players may vote to end the phase without a lynch. If 1/2 the players remaining alive, rounded up, vote for nolynch, the game will immediately go to night phase. Do this by voting for a nolynch (see below)
VOTE: No Lynch
14. When a player has reached a majority of votes, that player will be lynched and the phase will end.
15. Players may post after a majority has been reached until I announce the end of the phase.
16. Do not quote from any Private Topics you have access to in the main thread.
Brian Skies - "
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:44 am

Post by SirCakez »

Newbie Setup

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. For example Row 1 (1 jailkeeper, 1 vanilla townie, 1 mafia goon) would add an additional 5 vanilla townies and 1 mafia goon, for a total setup of 1 jailkeeper, 6 vanilla townies, and 2 mafia goons.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

Sample Role PMs:

Spoiler:
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here. Confirm by replying with your role name to this PM.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at night.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at night.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Brian Skies - "
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:27 am

Post by SirCakez »

All Role PMs have been sent out. The game will begin upon 8/9 players confirming their spots.
Currently 8/9 have confirmed.

Players have (expired on 2016-06-22 11:26:00) to confirm their spots.
Last edited by SirCakez on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Brian Skies - "
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:08 am

Post by SirCakez »

Ish replaces Wirt.
Brian Skies - "
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:47 am

Post by SirCakez »

With 8/9 confirmed, the game will begin shortly.
Brian Skies - "
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:04 am

Post by SirCakez »

Votecount 1.0

Not voting (9) - Aragorn the Ranger, LazyLump, ChipsandSalsa, Ish, boring, HayatoBL, Dunnstral, Apricity, Drixx

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch someone.

(expired on 2016-07-04 07:05:00) remain until day end
Brian Skies - "
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
hayatoBL
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:12 am

Post by hayatoBL »

Hey everyone, :D

let's have a fun and interesting game together.

VOTE: boring

Not a boring one.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:50 am

Post by Apricity »

Hey guys ^.^

VOTE: Lazy

Or a lazy one :wink:
LazyLump
LazyLump
Townie
LazyLump
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:23 am

Post by LazyLump »

I apriciate lazy but id rather be active like aragorn.
VOTE: Aragorn
ish
ish
Townie
ish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:25 am

Post by ish »

Hello everyone :)

It's my first game, so let's have a fun one :)

VOTE: hayatoBL

Edited out problematic comment
Last edited by SirCakez on Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 am

Post by Apricity »

Lazy, please get an avatar. It makes it much easier to quickly identify people's posts if everyone has an avatar.
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:23 am

Post by boring »

Hi! This is my first game ever and I'm probably a little too excited. I'll welcome any tips!

In the meantime, I hate to see anyone excluded too early in the game :D

VOTE: Apricity
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:28 am

Post by Dunnstral »

VOTE: Apricity
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:51 am

Post by Drixx »

IC Introduction:
Hello everyone. I'm Drixx, and I'm the IC for this game. IC is a bit of a tongue in cheek designation. It stands for "Inexperience Challenged" which is basically an obtuse way of saying "experienced". If you look at the player list you will see a few players with the SE designation. The are Semi-Inexperience Challenged. Basically they are meant to convey the same thing: anyone who is an SE or IC has played a minimum amount of games, including at least one outside of the Road to Rome, where the newbie games are played. The only real difference is that the IC is a volunteer position to help teach the basics and answer questions that arise, and I am therefore obligated to answer questions and do so honestly, while the SE players are not obligated to answer, and if they do, they have no obligation to do so honestly.

Please note: Being the IC has absolutely nothing to do with my alignment or my role. Like every player in the game, those were assigned to me randomly. Since I will answer questions and generally try to be helpful, you may be tempted to view me more positively than if I were not fulfilling this role. Please don't. Any questions I answer or anything I explain about how the game is played, or anything I explain that is particular to this site's culture and "meta" are all just part of that job. They should not be taken into account when you are reading me.

There are a few things I like to cover at the start of each game for which I am an IC:

1.) The death of fun in forum mafia is a lack of activity. The more you can post and interact, the more fun you will have and, by extension, the more fun the rest of us will have. It's okay to just jump in and make mistakes: that's what this is for. Don't be intimidated and just have fun with the experience. Win or lose, you'll learn a lot and that's the first step.

2.) Most games on this site, and almost all of the newbie games, start with a phase called "RVS" (Random Voting Stage). This is basically this site's way of breaking the ice. Everyone votes for someone for silly reasons and within a page or two there will be an obvious shift away from that and the game will begin in earnest.

In that spirit, I'm going to:

VOTE: hayatoBL because it's RVS.

3.) One of the biggest points of etiquette you will want to keep in mind is voting for people and the process by which a lynch happens. Since we begin with 9 players, it takes only 5 votes to lynch someone and with each day that number will go down. Generally speaking, if you put someone at one vote less than the number required to lynch (referred to as L-1), it is a good idea to put a
BOLDED
statement in your post alerting the rest of the game that you have put the player at one vote shy of being lynched. This helps to prevent people from accidentally finishing the lynch before the player can defend themselves, make a role claim if they happened to be assigned a role, or even just a chance to make sure they share their thoughts with the game.

3a.) If someone is at L-1 and you believe they are scum, instead of voting for them, you can instead give a bold
intent to hammer
warning. Giving intent to hammer means that you intend to finish the lynch, unless the player about to be lynched can somehow sway you or others voting to lynch them. It is generally considered proper form to allow that person time to say what they would like before following through with a vote to seal the lynch.

So those are the things that seem to come up most frequently. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have them, and just set aside any anxiety you might have. We're all here to have fun and play the game, and in that spirit: let's have a great one!

One final note: When it comes to questions about the game, I will always give you the best answer I can. There are a lot of bits of theory about different parts of the game, so there may be times where I will explain something as I understand it. While I will never deliberately lie to you when I am answering questions, please be aware that I had the same chance to be assigned to the scum team as everyone else.

In other words; don't just give me your blind trust because I'm being helpful. You shouldn't do that for any player, but you should most definitely not do it for an IC since we volunteer to help make the newbie games open and accessible, and in that spirit, nearly all ICs will generally be very pleasant and helpful.
LazyLump
LazyLump
Townie
LazyLump
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 am

Post by LazyLump »

I'll get myself an avatar tomorrow (currently 23.37 where I am)
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 am

Post by boring »

@ Drixx, I have a question. I'm not sure if it's a technical issue, or what, and I hope I'm not messing the game up by asking this, but I'm seeing role designations displayed between our screen names and our avatars.

Doesn't that kind of ruin things? Or are these newbie games supposed to display them as part of a tutorial? It just seems too easy.

Also, I thought there were only going to be a total of 2 mafia, and it seems like 3 people have the "Mafia Scum" label.
LazyLump
LazyLump
Townie
LazyLump
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 am

Post by LazyLump »

Yes I've noticed it too now and I must agree with Boeing that that does make the game a bit boring
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:13 am

Post by Drixx »

In post 16, boring wrote:@ Drixx, I have a question. I'm not sure if it's a technical issue, or what, and I hope I'm not messing the game up by asking this, but I'm seeing role designations displayed between our screen names and our avatars.

Doesn't that kind of ruin things? Or are these newbie games supposed to display them as part of a tutorial? It just seems too easy.

Also, I thought there were only going to be a total of 2 mafia, and it seems like 3 people have the "Mafia Scum" label.
In post 17, LazyLump wrote:Yes I've noticed it too now and I must agree with Boeing that that does make the game a bit boring
That's a title based upon your number of posts on site. As you post more, that title will change, unless for some reason you are given a custom title. For example: if you contribute to the site greatly or you do something that gains you some notoriety (good or bad) or if you win a scummy, you can end up getting a custom title instead of the title that is linked to post counts.

I'm unsure if there's a list anywhere of how many posts it takes to get to each title, but they are just a bit of fun and don't say anything about your alignment or role in any game.
Get to know a Drixx - Recently Updated!
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:15 am

Post by boring »

oh wow. I feel kinda dumb now. So "townie" basically means "newbie"?
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:16 am

Post by Drixx »

Actually there is a Wiki entry listing a reason for quite a lot of the custom titles. It's probably not ALL of them, and at the bottom there's a list of what title you get at different post thresholds; however, I am not sure if that is up to date. It may have changed.

You can find the wiki entry here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Titles
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:26 am

Post by Dunnstral »

LOL boring is town by the way or the master tactician newbie
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:45 am

Post by Apricity »

Lol...Lazy too, but to a lesser extent than Boring. I think they're both town.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:46 am

Post by Apricity »

I think it's changed though. Mafia Scum should be 1000 posts now, and not 5000.
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:52 am

Post by Drixx »

I don't think anyone should get town read for posting about titles. That's such an easy way to come across as guileless. I would put very little weight in that. I'm actually kind of more interested that TWO people handed out town reads for something so insignificant.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”