Newbie 2012 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:52 am

Post by DoctorPepper »

1. Saying my post is non genuine or forced IS DISCREDITING. It's like you're saying in posting for the sake of being active instead of actually hunting
2. the point of RVS is to see where the votes go and to create a starting point. Voting for the mod is a classic non committal vote common and it's something that deprives us of any info. Yes they could do that because scum might not want be linked to anything. The point is, distilling it to "this is shallow" is discrediting the entire premise of it and just flat out paints me as scummy for having legitimate concerns. Also saying let's leave RVS doesn't really do much except signify that it's a serious vote. Would you have batted an eye if I said "serious vote" instead
3. Not voting at all isn't scummy if the player wasn't active. RVS voting the mod is scummier regardless because some people may not know of RVS. In fact, I've seen newbie games where town doesn't wanna participate in it
Show
Keep calm and Drink Dr Pepper :)

Quarantine is driving me crazy :(

Get to know a Pepper!!!
WaltertheDunce10
WaltertheDunce10
Goon
WaltertheDunce10
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:26 am

Post by WaltertheDunce10 »

In post 43, 72offsuit wrote:
In post 30, WaltertheDunce10 wrote:I agree with your point on Owen ,but it is in the early stages.
I don't know if 26 is indicative of anything yet.
Fence-sitting. Why mention it if you aren't going to make a call either way? it does lead into a a

Scum points: -0.25
In post 44, 72offsuit wrote:@ Everyone:

1) What is your experience with playing mafia?
2) Do you prefer playing town or scum?
3) What do you think of the Policy lynch of Lynch All Lurkers?
Because I do not have experience to make a one post tell.

I have played two games on a different site but was lynched in both of them, one as town and another as Mafia.
Both games had 20 players.
I prefer to play as town.
I don't know
TheThirteenthJT
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:30 am

Post by TheThirteenthJT »

Hey everyone. I'm coming in witH the two following questions that I would like all to answer please. Mostly for fun since it's so early in the game.

1) Random guess or analysis of what we have so far, take a crack at the scumteam. Who is the mafia team in this game?
2) If you were mafia in this game, who would you like to be your partner, or who would most likely be your partner.
TheThirteenthJT
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:35 am

1) Had many years of experience in different sites for multiple years close to ten years ago. Retired from mafia. Recently had the urge to play again and just finished my first newbie game here.
2) I love playing as mafia. One of my favorite things is being backed into a corner and working my way out of it.
3) I don't believe in policy lynching lurkers unless we have no clear suspects due to other reasons in the day. I am ok lynching them as a last second choice in that scenario.
TheThirteenthJT
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 am

I find the whole modvote situation to have been artificially blown up. This sets my eyes early on Doctorpepper.

VOTE: Doctorpepper
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:58 am

Post by DoctorPepper »

Yeah that's a wasted vote.
Show
Keep calm and Drink Dr Pepper :)

Quarantine is driving me crazy :(

Get to know a Pepper!!!
UNOwen
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:41 am

Post by UNOwen »

In post 38, Ydrasse wrote: not really, no. i feel that thinking it suspicious is a bit of a stretch, really — people in rvs are going to be a bit more silly/lighthearted until people start really scumhunting. that, and i'm of the opinion that mafia are more likely to come into this game with a serious attitude than something silly that draws attention to them.
A bit of stretching is necessary this early on or I don't know how progress would be made.
UNOwen
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:49 am

Post by UNOwen »

In post 42, 72offsuit wrote: I'm saying DP's "Let's leave RVS" is LAMISTY and forced. Doesn't sound natural to me.
Ah right that makes sense. It was a bit forced, but I think it was sincere in pushing things forward.

Some casual games on different forums many years ago. I'm pretty sure I ended up making an account here and played a game or two but I didn't stick around.
Town
I approve
In post 46, 72offsuit wrote:By the way, need more votes on Dunce.

Classic greeting-the-entire-thread scum tell:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79490
What do you make of Ydrasse, myself and now JT who also did this?
UNOwen
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:52 am

Post by UNOwen »

In post 52, TheThirteenthJT wrote:Hey everyone. I'm coming in witH the two following questions that I would like all to answer please. Mostly for fun since it's so early in the game.

1) Random guess or analysis of what we have so far, take a crack at the scumteam. Who is the mafia team in this game?
2) If you were mafia in this game, who would you like to be your partner, or who would most likely be your partner.
Italiano + ThirteenthJT
Doctor Pepper seems to align with my thinking, so he'd be my choice.

How would you answer those questions?
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:15 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 33, UNOwen wrote:I thought it was fairly obvious why I voted Italiano. Suspicious post + page 1 = vote and see how people react. What do you suppose my reason was?
I supposed it might be something along those lines if you're town, what I didn't like is that you didn't bother to make that clear
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:21 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

1) I've played onsite here for 5+ years

2) town, easily. it drains me to play high-effort scum and I often coast and do the bare minimum when I'm scum.

3) I think 'lurking' is too broad of a term. I think people who are present in the thread and attempting at least a little bit too blend in are more likely scum, I thin people who flake out or go for days without posting often have RL keeping them away from the game and it's NAI in those instances. I'm fine with someone only being present once every 24-36 hours if they make serious contributions and game-advancing pushes/thoughts when they are present, quality over quantity you know? Though it also stands that the consistently most engaged/present players are usually town.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:22 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 52, TheThirteenthJT wrote:1) Random guess or analysis of what we have so far, take a crack at the scumteam. Who is the mafia team in this game?
on the other hand, I don't really like these questions, they don't seem very likely to actually lead to useful content. We should always be talking about 1) in the general sense constantly anyways, and 2) is just a WIFOM fest
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 54, TheThirteenthJT wrote:I find the whole modvote situation to have been artificially blown up. This sets my eyes early on Doctorpepper.

I also don't like this vote

Why do you choose to describe it as "artificial"? What is the scum motive to play the way Doctorpepper is playing, and why is that more likely than town!Doctorpepper trying to find scum?

VOTE: TheThirteenthJT
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:27 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

I think Ydrasse, UNOwen, DoctorPepper are all likely town
piisirrational
piisirrational
Goon
piisirrational
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 am

Post by piisirrational »

1) 1 offsite game, 2 completed games here
2) Town
3) Don't like it. Most lurking is NAI so lynching someone who’s actually scummy is better because they have a better chance of being scum and they can give us better associatives if they flip red.
piisirrational
piisirrational
Goon
piisirrational
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:34 am

Post by piisirrational »

Feels like Italiano’s post is NAI atm. Like Ydraasse said, I don’t think scum would want to draw so much attention to themselves by doing something different from everyone else. Furthermore, I don’t think he would make it this obvious if sitting on the sidelines and not interacting with the playerlist WAS his intention. I don’t get any towntells either from that post though.
TheThirteenthJT
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 am

In post 55, DoctorPepper wrote:Yeah that's a wasted vote.
UNVOTE: doctorpepper
I don't think there is such a thing as a wasted vote when things can be so easily retracted. Let me rephrase that, I don't think there is anything such as a wasted vote this early in the game. No one is exempt until confirmed town.

VOTE: doctorpepper
TheThirteenthJT
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:27 am

In post 58, UNOwen wrote:
In post 52, TheThirteenthJT wrote:Hey everyone. I'm coming in witH the two following questions that I would like all to answer please. Mostly for fun since it's so early in the game.

Italiano + ThirteenthJT
Doctor Pepper seems to align with my thinking, so he'd be my choice.

How would you answer those questions?
I actually see two people right now on my suspect list but both are independent from one another. Yourself and DoctorPepper. Right now I would say Doctorpepper with Walterthedunce based on gut.

And for me I would partner with Ydrasse because they are the only one I've played with previously. It would be fun.
TheThirteenthJT
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
TheThirteenthJT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:39 am

In post 62, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 54, TheThirteenthJT wrote:I find the whole modvote situation to have been artificially blown up. This sets my eyes early on Doctorpepper.

Why do you choose to describe it as "artificial"? What is the scum motive to play the way Doctorpepper is playing, and why is that more likely than town!Doctorpepper trying to find scum?

I called it artificial because that what it looks like. Basically I need a reason to start a push on someone to make myself useful to the town on page one, get early scumhunting credit and zoom out. I've seen this done before and always pings me early in games. Both Doctorpepper and Uno have done this with what I found to be a lol vote by Italiano.

Now don't get me wrong. Early game voting is always a crapshoot. So since Italiano was receiving early game pressure, I want to pressure the counterside and see reactions as well. Thus my vote.
In post 61, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 52, TheThirteenthJT wrote:1) Random guess or analysis of what we have so far, take a crack at the scumteam. Who is the mafia team in this game?
on the other hand, I don't really like these questions, they don't seem very likely to actually lead to useful content. We should always be talking about 1) in the general sense constantly anyways, and 2) is just a WIFOM fest
I really feel that town has nothing to lose by answering those questions. It can alert us of anyone potentially buddying us early in the game and gives us something to look back at later as the game progresses.

I do agree we should be sharing our reads constantly throughout the game. This is just a fun little encouragement to do so this early in.

Now as to the second point, I don't think WiFOM is all bad. I rather not answer why until more people answer the question. Then I will feel free explaining what I like about this question. This is also a trial run question for me.
WaltertheDunce10
WaltertheDunce10
Goon
WaltertheDunce10
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:15 am

In post 68, TheThirteenthJT wrote:
In post 62, GuiltyLion wrote:

I called it artificial because that what it looks like. Basically I need a reason to start a push on someone to make myself useful to the town on page one, get early scumhunting credit and zoom out. I've seen this done before and always pings me early in games. Both Doctorpepper and Uno have done this with what I found to be a lol vote by Italiano.

Now don't get me wrong. Early game voting is always a crapshoot. So since Italiano was receiving early game pressure, I want to pressure the counterside and see reactions as well. Thus my vote.
In post 61, GuiltyLion wrote:
I really feel that town has nothing to lose by answering those questions. It can alert us of anyone potentially buddying us early in the game and gives us something to look back at later as the game progresses.

I do agree we should be sharing our reads constantly throughout the game. This is just a fun little encouragement to do so this early in.

Now as to the second point, I don't think WiFOM is all bad. I rather not answer why until more people answer the question. Then I will feel free explaining what I like about this question. This is also a trial run question for me.
I agree on your points, so far I would say my scum team would be 72 and Doctorpepper
2. Probably Guiltylion,
I am not sure why 72 would push for my lynch so quickly, it seems off to me.
WaltertheDunce10
WaltertheDunce10
Goon
WaltertheDunce10
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:16 am

I am happy though that unlike the other games I played offsite, this has not devolved into a bloody massclaim merit argument.
ItalianoVD
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:26 am

Post by ItalianoVD »

In post 20, 72offsuit wrote: Protip: You can only vote for players in the game, and not the moderator.
Yeah I know. It wasn’t an actual vote.
ItalianoVD
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:29 am

Post by ItalianoVD »

So DoctorPepper and UNOwen voting for me on day one without explanation. Seems pretty convenient. You two just shot up my scum read list.
ItalianoVD
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:33 am

Post by ItalianoVD »

Also it was clear from my first post that I was joking. Trying to make it something it’s not seems like opportunistic and scum seem to take any opportunities to mislynch.
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*
Pronoun: She

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Post by Ydrasse »

hi jt! ^^

for forum mafia, i have played two games with friends and more recently, three completed forum mafia games. one on mu, two on here! other than that, i have been apart of a chat-based mafia community for many years though i haven't actively played in quite a few. when i did, it was casual and not really competitive.

2) town, for sure. it's way less stressful and i like being able to read and catch out scum/make my cases.

3) bad. i think that it's better to consider why someone might be lurking moreso than immediately say "you were lurking you die." like, if someone starts up a wagon and lets a few people get it going, apply pressure, and they lurk etc etc, it's way more suspect than someone who makes a few posts that are good and show scumhunting before they bounce for a bit again. that, and irl can impact the amount of time a person can contribute to a game, and when.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”