Newbie 2082 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:56 am

Post by implosion »

In post 74, catboi wrote:you like igor that much off two emoticon posts?
I think the vote is too overtly opportunistic to be likely from scum along the lines of scum thinking about/caring how they're perceived more than town. The second one as well, I think scum would feel more obligated to give a real response to frogsfrogs's question.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 am

Post by catboi »

What gives you the sense he would care about he's perceived, though, given the way he's acting?
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:33 am

Post by frogsfrogs »

Yeah, I think implosion's argument is that igor
doesn't
seem like he cares, catboi!

I see where that's coming from, but I can't make myself feel like it's conclusive. Seems like it could go either way to me? At least in a newbie match. I've got totally no thought either way yet on him
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 am

Post by implosion »

In post 76, catboi wrote:What gives you the sense he would care about he's perceived, though, given the way he's acting?
Nothing about him in particular does, that's the point; it's a broad statement about mafia in general. There's nothing specific about him that makes me think he'd be more or less likely than the average person to care about how he's being perceived as scum, but I think scum on average tend to care more than town, and that's probably slightly more true of newbies. It could certainly be significantly weakened (or strengthened) based on meta info.
In post 77, frogsfrogs wrote:Yeah, I think implosion's argument is that igor
doesn't
seem like he cares, catboi!

I see where that's coming from, but I can't make myself feel like it's conclusive. Seems like it could go either way to me? At least in a newbie match. I've got totally no thought either way yet on him
I don't think it's "conclusive" either; I think it's very rare for there to be conclusive evidence of someone's alignment, it's ostensibly all speculation. And certainly most mafia players are very bad at finding conclusive evidence if there is any.
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 am

Post by frogsfrogs »

Oh yeah, of course!! I guess I mean conclusive in terms of feeling strongly about it or not, myself. ^ ^
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:19 am

Post by catboi »

In post 78, implosion wrote:
In post 76, catboi wrote:What gives you the sense he would care about he's perceived, though, given the way he's acting?
Nothing about him in particular does, that's the point; it's a broad statement about mafia in general. There's nothing specific about him that makes me think he'd be more or less likely than the average person to care about how he's being perceived as scum, but I think scum on average tend to care more than town, and that's probably slightly more true of newbies. It could certainly be significantly weakened (or strengthened) based on meta info.
I feel like my belief is the opposite, that newbies often don't really have a good handle on how things are perceived, such that they will tend to engage in behavior such as blatant opportunism more often.

However, igorsprite was actually my first silly townlean I spoke of on page 2. The vote on pseudoaristotle for their cheeky comment in response to his question felt good, a sort of townie kneejerk reaction from a not particular verbose player who is maybe playing a bit simply.

It occurs to me now that that assessment was maybe too simplistic, that igorsprite's posting style might be something of a deliberate gimmick, and so any town credit there for his actions might be a little premature.

I just wanted to understand why you were reading him that way to see if it made sense but felt like using it as a tangent for my own thoughts here. I don't have a good way to conclude this post so I'm just going to stop.
igorsprite
igorsprite
Goon
igorsprite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:06 am

Post by igorsprite »

sorry idk how to express my thoughts, but basically i don't feel guilty because i'm town. is wrong to think this way?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:56 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 66, Greeting wrote: I need to wait for the vote tally first to see if the vote in is counted. I really want to vote him to put pressure, but it’s too early and too little to hammer on page 3 of Day One.
Don't vote, you'll hammer him.
MafMen is at E-1,
folks. As amusing as a lolhammer would be, the entertainment would be too costly
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:06 pm

Post by Thynhith »

There seems to be a lot of discussion about how indicative igfor/pseudo is. My take on it (if I was forced to glean something) is that pseudo looks null and is more indicative of igfor's style than his alignment. Best way to treat the interaction is to ignore it imo.

Also in my experience, newbies tend to either lack the confidence to push/scum hut and will get defensive easily, or they fail to see that a lot of their posts set off scumtells, or both. Scum tend to slip up occasionally, while newbs look like careless scum and drop these tells without even noticing. Non-newbs have more curated posts, if you will.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 81, igorsprite wrote:sorry idk how to express my thoughts, but basically i don't feel guilty because i'm town. is wrong to think this way?
Not wrong, but people will misunderstand your intentions. Best to try your best to express yourself and screw up rather than not trying
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:19 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 69, implosion wrote:This page is actually useful. I think igor and Aristotle are town off of it, I can see townreading Thynhith for it but I don't get as strong of vibes on him as the other two.

@MafMen: you still haven't explained exactly why you thought Greeting was townish. Do you have an explanation for why his first 3 posts townpinged you?
^ Alright stop avoiding this question. You've been asked before and I know you saw implosion's post, so why don't you answer?
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 70, MafMen wrote:
In post 56, MafMen wrote:sorry i didnt really treat what he said about greeting as the crux of his argument
i think its good to question aristotle there and the fact he didnt take any major stance on a weird post like that is nice

at the end of the day it all comes down to how you interpret my usage of 'probtown' and words like that, i personally didnt take it that strong of a strong term but i suppose i should switch up my vocab
@implosion
idk if u guys didnt find this adequate but w/e
In post 56, MafMen wrote:sorry i didnt really treat what he said about greeting as the crux of his argument
i think its good to question aristotle there and the fact he didnt take any major stance on a weird post like that is nice

at the end of the day it all comes down to how you interpret my usage of 'probtown' and words like that, i personally didnt take it that strong of a strong term but i suppose i should switch up my vocab
@implosion

@implosion

@implosion
yeesh
"I find myself agreeing with MafMen through most of this argument, while also finding him most likely to be scum out of him/Wisdom/Pooky"
~ Klick
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:38 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 81, igorsprite wrote:sorry idk how to express my thoughts, but basically i don't feel guilty because i'm town. is wrong to think this way?
ur not wrong and there hasnt really been any reason to say otherwise
if u do what u want ur genuineness will be noticed

just stick to making reads and dont second guess urself
"I find myself agreeing with MafMen through most of this argument, while also finding him most likely to be scum out of him/Wisdom/Pooky"
~ Klick
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him; they/them

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:40 pm

Post by Greeting »

This game is interesting in the fact that there's a lot of players who have a similar consistency and frequency of posting. Except for one. VOTE: MargotRosa

I haven't at all forgotten about MafMen, I still see switching and hammering them as a possibility.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 88, Greeting wrote:This game is interesting in the fact that there's a lot of players who have a similar consistency and frequency of posting. Except for one. VOTE: MargotRosa

I haven't at all forgotten about MafMen, I still see switching and hammering them as a possibility.
Oh I'm not that worried about her, though I would like to see some activity. She semi-lurked through the better part of D1 (in our last game), then woke up after that.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Post by Micc »

Votecount 1.02
Mafmen (4) -
catboi, Thynhith, igorsprite, pseudoAristotle
Thynhith (1) -
MargotRosa
Greeting (1) -
implosion
MargotRosa (1) -
Greeting

Not Voting (2) -
frogsfrogs, MafMen

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to eliminate,

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2021-11-05 22:05:00).

Prodding MargotRosa.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm

Post by Thynhith »

@Greeting what's your take on the Maf wagon? Does it look pure green?
@Cattyboi you've been on the wagon quietly all along, does that mean you approve of it?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:56 pm

Post by catboi »

No, that's fine, just do your best.
In post 91, Thynhith wrote:@Greeting what's your take on the Maf wagon? Does it look pure green?
@Cattyboi you've been on the wagon quietly all along, does that mean you approve of it?
I don't disapprove or I would've said so, think the reasons people jumped on him are valid and don't find his response to obviously townish. Fine with leaving my vote there but wouldn't really want to end the day yet, certainly not before MargotRosa posts more. 。^・ェ・^。
pseudoAristotle
pseudoAristotle
Townie
pseudoAristotle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:26 am

Post by pseudoAristotle »

VOTE MargotRosa
pseudoAristotle
pseudoAristotle
Townie
pseudoAristotle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:29 am

Post by pseudoAristotle »

I feel weird having Mafmen at E-1. I'm still sus of him, but I'm not at the point of voting him off and I think that questioning him has gone about as far as it can go. I hope MargotRosa can be convinced to talk more.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:22 pm

Post by Greeting »

In post 91, Thynhith wrote:@Greeting what's your take on the Maf wagon? Does it look pure green?
I’m suspicious of igorsprite. They really don’t sound like a townie.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Post by Greeting »

I'll do my thing of taking the player list and removing the least suspicious players from it and see what's left. I removed myself and all those who either sound like genuine newbies or those whom I knew from a past game (catboi).

This is what's left:

MargotRosa
: stands out because of inactivity. Scumreading for being inactive/lurking is a pretty old scumtactic/scumread. But to be fair, I don't really want to vote her out just yet.

MafMen (SE)
: perhaps a little too outspoken, originally they didn't sound very towny to me. But on second thoughts, it is doubtful if they're on the same team with igorsprite (conclusion from the voting tally). At this particular moment I feel like it's more worth it to press igorsprite a little bit more.

implosion (SE)
: I honestly have nothing to say about them. They sound... neutral.

igorsprite
: ehhh. Check their posts and see for yourself. VOTE: igorsprite

This isn't much, but it's the most I got from what was posted so far. I'm comfortable with voting igorsprite, but I can be convinced to vote out someone else from the trio. Right now the strongest case I see is igor. In my opinion, they sound like a scum who doesn't really know what to say not to slip so they say very little, if anything.

also @pseudoAristotle, please use

Code: Select all

[vote]username[/vote]
when you cast your vote for someone. That's the correct way to do it. If you don't use it, there's always a chance that a host may not count your vote.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:03 pm

Post by Greeting »

My incessant vote changing and thought processed might be seen as a bit chaotic. Unfortunately, this is also how they actually run inside of my head :lol:

Plus, I quickly came to realise that my vote on MargotRosa would do nothing until she decided to grace us with her presence. For now, I picked the most iffy player I found amongst those 4 pages that we have.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:04 pm

Post by Greeting »

Thought processes*
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by implosion »

That jump is fairly townish.

Unvote

When you said you "removed the least suspicious" but also said those you removed were genuine newbies/those from past games, i'm a bit confused - which is it? Or do you just think you have a townread on catboi based on past games, and that the others are genuine newbies in the sense that they are newbies acting genuinely town?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”