Newbie 991 - Newbieville! (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:27 am

Post by Thor665 »

Aranneas wrote:Thor, I'd like to hear more opinions from you. You've asked a lot of questions but you're keeping us in the dark as to what is going on in your head. Perhaps this is just your style but play like this tends to draw a bit of suspicion from me.
I'm voting one player and want them lynched.
I've specifically noted reasons I wouldn't want to lynch another.
Not all players (*cough*Jupiter*cough*) have posted yet.

I actually think I've given out a fair number of reads thus far considering we're on page 2.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 am

Post by Thor665 »

^^^ Well, page 3 now, dorf!
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:43 am

Post by Aranneas »

Fair enough. I suppose it is more related to playstyle difference than anything.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Thor (1): willows_weep
reluctant (3): Thor665, Aranneas, Coach Travis
Aranneas (3): reluctant, scapegoat, Mrs Sak

Not voting (2): Anton, DukeJupiter

Anton has yet to pick up his prod. If he has not done so by tonight, he will be replaced. DukeJupiter has picked up his prod, and I know him IRL, so I'm going to call him tonight and ask if he's still going to play.
green shirt thursdays
scapegoat
scapegoat
Townie
scapegoat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:22 am

Post by scapegoat »

Okay, well, seeing as we're still two people down and in theory everything so far could be a bunch of townies pointing fingers at other townies, I'm going to go ahead and
Unvote
until we hear something from the other two players, just for now.

Also, I'd like to take this chance to hear from willows_weep a little more.
Do you have any reads on people you'd like to share? Any information you've noticed? I know there isn't too much to pass along right now, but I'd love to hear any additional insight from people I don't have a good read on yet.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Post by Thor665 »

@scapegoat - should I also take that as an answer to my Post 37?
Anton
Anton
Townie
Anton
Townie
Townie

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Post by Anton »

Hallo.

My apologies for posting this late. I'm not that fond on forum posting from my mobile, and was waiting to actually sit down in front of a computer to do this(before you ask, yes, i did lurk and skimmed through the thread). I wanted to address some points and quotes but it's too much at this point with these many comments...anyways, I'll just have to work with what I have from now on.

As of now, I don't really see anyone oveeeerly scummy, and, while serious posting has already started, the current phase of pointing fingers at each other is still based on small subjective "vilifications" of comments and reactions. However, I wouldn't have jumped as early as Aranneas did into calling RVS over. Also, not all players have chimed in to post yet(myself included 'til this post). That being said, there are some points that I'm not liking on some players' comments.

My initial thoughts on reluctant's initial vote justification, and then being called out to change his FoS into his 2nd-vote, attributed these actions as slip ups of a new player (assuming his claim on this being his first game to be true, ofc). However, his FoS argument was rather weak, and the interpretation jumps that he had on the Aranneas statement on RVS equaling quick-lynches seemed like a fishy redirection of attention into his target.

Jumping on to Sak's perceived defeatism trying to scare the other players and her call not to lynch today, I wouldn't necessarily interpret it as a scummy move like Thor and Travis pointed out, but more as a "cultural shock" of sorts, but that is more cause of some bias to this approach from previous game set-ups I've played/hosted elsewhere that I also have. In any case, it seems like the constrains on outside communication that PRs have(if there are any in this game) wouldn't allow for a sure-fire strategy, and we will have to go on the reads and leads gathered everyday. Not lynching today would make Day 2 pretty damn similar to Day 1 only with a dead townie to carry on our shoulders and a day of disadvantage to lynch a scum. One thing that I did notice and bothered me, was the inconsistency on her initial claim of gaining zero information from voting/lynching patterns and then basing her vote mostly on the voting patterns she examined.

@Thor; going back to the probability argument, you mentioned the percentage on mafia wins being 55-57%. I gotta say that it first strucked me as a faulty statistic since a fairly higher number of finished newbie games I clicked on had Mafia wins as results(this was by no means the entire sample population of the statistic but was still somewhat of an indicator), and well, I didn't see anything on this matter in the wiki page....Was that number just a rough estimate you threw in or an actual percentage "hidden" somewhere in the wiki page(if so, I'd like to see the link please)?

Although I have not replied to willows_weep initial set of questions, so far I perceive his few posts as throwing more coal into the fire and not really having as much substance as one would expect from an experience player. But I guess I'll have to wait a bit more on this one to have something a bit more "conclusive". Same for scapegoat's random post, and DukeJupiter's inactivity.

Summing up, I do feel a bit uneasy about a couple of players but basically reluctant stands out from the crowd. Even though his inconsistencies might presumably be caused by inexperience, I'd like to see what comes out of putting some pressure into him. Now, at two votes from lynching, still a player missing and a couple of us with not much activity yet, voting might be a bit of a rushed move.
FoS: reluctant
for now.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

Nice to see Anton finally post. Since I've already given thoughts on everyone else who's posted, here's what I think of him so far:Interesting, to say the least. He makes some good points, gives thoughts on several players, which is a good thing, but he also doesn't really commit either. I can totally understand not voting Reluctant at this point, since a quick lynch really only benefits mafia, due to the town not getting as much information as they possibly could. However, if he's finding someone else suspicious(which clearly he is, since he said he's uneasy about a couple of players), then it may be more beneficial for him to vote someone else, just to see what information we can generate from that. However, I think he could go either way right now, so he's more null, maybe a little townish, but he's definitely someone I'll need to look further into as we continue.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:56 am

Post by Thor665 »

Anton wrote:Jumping on to Sak's perceived defeatism trying to scare the other players and her call not to lynch today, I wouldn't necessarily interpret it as a scummy move like Thor and Travis pointed out
We actually both noted how we thought it *wasn't* scummy.
@Thor; going back to the probability argument, you mentioned the percentage on mafia wins being 55-57%. I gotta say that it first strucked me as a faulty statistic since a fairly higher number of finished newbie games I clicked on had Mafia wins as results(this was by no means the entire sample population of the statistic but was still somewhat of an indicator), and well, I didn't see anything on this matter in the wiki page....Was that number just a rough estimate you threw in or an actual percentage "hidden" somewhere in the wiki page(if so, I'd like to see the link please)?
I'll spare you my knee jerk response of you looking at some games and deciding you had a feel for the average.
The statistics can be found in the forum Mafia Discussion and were posted by the user AGar. I'm too lazy to bother going on a search in order to provide a link.
reluctant
reluctant
Townie
reluctant
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:05 am

Post by reluctant »

Thor665 wrote: I'll spare you my knee jerk response of you looking at some games and deciding you had a feel for the average.
The statistics can be found in the forum Mafia Discussion and were posted by the user AGar. I'm too lazy to bother going on a search in order to provide a link.
This is what I saw, and in the 2nd post it a link to the original data from AGar. I hope others will find it useful.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 am

Post by Thor665 »

Roughly 60/40 mafia/town win percentage for those who care not for clicking through and reading. Thanks for the link, reluctant.

For Mrs Sak's benefit I do note the statistics regarding the 'No Lynch' on Day 1.
Anton
Anton
Townie
Anton
Townie
Townie

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:39 am

Post by Anton »

^^^
^^
Thanks for the reference/link.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:07 am

Post by Aranneas »

Welcome Anton.

I will be trying for more reads today but there's not a lot to go on I haven't already commented on.
As of the moment, I don't think the reluctant thing is going to go anywhere . Reasoning explained, no further reads elicited, and we're just kind of sitting on our votes.
scapegoat wrote:@ Aranneas - Reading back, I see there is one less vote on you than I thought there was, so I guess it doesn't add to the pressure I was hoping for. I figured 3 votes would be enough to start prodding a confession out of you. Regardless, as your option to 'ignore it completely' has offered me no new information on the situation, I'm keeping my vote the same. It smells of mafia to me.
Why does not feeling a need to defend myself smell of mafia? I can't really give you any information you're going to find useful, therefore I declined to respond. At this point you've given me a pressure vote with no reasoning behind it. I really don't have much to go on.

@Mod: How long before a prod is warranted on willows_weep?
reluctant
reluctant
Townie
reluctant
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:57 am

Post by reluctant »

Aranneas wrote: I will be trying for more reads today but there's not a lot to go on I haven't already commented on.
I will try to make more reads later today or tomorrow as well. I feel there is probably not much to go on too, but maybe in reading back I'll pick up on something else.

Restating in bold to make sure it is seen:
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 am

Post by Aranneas »

Also I lol'd that town chance is best when it lynches doctor day 1.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 am

Post by Aranneas »

Read: better than when vanilla gets lynched.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 am

Post by Thor665 »

That's because doctor is a weak as sin role and also serves as both a distraction and a good role for scum to hide behind. It's hard to convince people how useless it is sometimes, and I think that misleads town.

Though the above is mostly my personal opinion on the role and the percentage might just be a random flux in chance, take what grains of sodium you choose to.

We're kind of stalled out at the moment because we need all the people not voting to start voting. With roughly 25% of players not voting everyone's waiting to see if maybe their current vote will garner more support or not.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:31 am

Post by Thor665 »

@Anton - I'd love to see a vote from you soon, are you still considering reluctant the scummiest option out there?

@willows_weep - you're still voting me for random reasons. Have these reasons become more serious? Please tell us why, if they have. If they're still not serious do you really have no scummy reads at all on anyone else in the game?
willows_weep
willows_weep
willow, the mafia slayer
willows_weep
willow, the mafia slayer
willow, the mafia slayer
Location: On a chair in which I used to sit, took a pencil and I wrote the following on it...It's dark in here

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by willows_weep »

Dude!!!!
I KNOW I posted a V/LA post in my threads. This game started the day before I was leaving town. I posted that I was going to be out until Monday some time.

Anyway,
unvote
no, that vote was still on you because I haven't been here.

Hm, remember SE only means that I've played a few games. Also, I'm not aggressive. I ask questions when I need to, I don't overstate my thoughts/feelings with votes or demands for first born, etc. So, if someone wants to think I'm being scummy...try to find more substantial reasons to do so. I mean, you can do what you want of course, but I'm really not lying to you when I say that's pretty much my style.

At this moment, I only have a good feel on who I think is most town.
Right now my vote would be on reluctant

brb
What is the point of using foul language, downright rudeness, slurs, etc on a gaming site? This is really distasteful.

Forum rules and guidelines (letter and spirit folks)
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14372
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Post by Thor665 »

willows_weep wrote:Hm, remember SE only means that I've played a few games. Also, I'm not aggressive. I ask questions when I need to, I don't overstate my thoughts/feelings with votes or demands for first born, etc. So, if someone wants to think I'm being scummy...try to find more substantial reasons to do so. I mean, you can do what you want of course, but I'm really not lying to you when I say that's pretty much my style.
As a bit of general strategic advice - players who are quieter and don't often comment on their reads and thoughts are often considered to be scummy since they're not taking sides and are keeping their options open.

If you're most suspicious of reluctant why are you not voting him? Do you expect him to do something more scummy? Do you not think putting a vote on him will force him and others to react to that vote and provide you more of an ability to get reads?
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

@willows_weep:I can totally see where you're coming from in regards to your strategy, since I myself actually said something very similar in a previous game, and I generally am a quiet guy. However, not being aggressive doesn't mean you shouldn't be giving your thoughts on players, and in fact, I feel that someone who isn't comfortable taking action and really going after players, are better off if they're constantly giving thoughts on players and being reactive, which is what I try to do, because it's still a good way of helping out. Basically, I don't think there's any excuse for not contributing good content. With that being said, I can't say I really find you scummy, because if anything that type of play is hard to get a read on either way.
DukeJupiter
DukeJupiter
Townie
DukeJupiter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Post by DukeJupiter »

Sorry for not posting guys I have no idea what's going on.
Ive never played Mafia before.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Post by Thor665 »

@Duke Jupiter

Welcome to your first game then. For starters I recommend reading up on the thread and everything that's been said (paying attention to the mod's posts on the rules is pretty important as well)

If you're town; after you're read up you'll want to consider whose actions seem most likely to have been coming from a scummy mindset and whose actions seem more town oriented. You'll want to vote for the scummiest seeming player.
If you're scum; pretend to do the above, and then vote for someone who is town you think you can mislynch.
scapegoat
scapegoat
Townie
scapegoat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:28 am

Post by scapegoat »

Okay, well, I feel like we've come to a day 1 standstill and right now, action is far better than speculation without any evidence to back it up. So, I'll
Vote: Reluctant
just to get the ball rolling and get into the meat of the game.

I know this looks scummy, but really, we could spend another week going back and forth on day 1 and still end up lynching a town, so why put it off?
reluctant
reluctant
Townie
reluctant
Townie
Townie

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:59 am

Post by reluctant »

As the one who appears to be the most likely person to get voted off on day 1, I'm not really sure how to go about making my death benefit the town. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. After a re-read of many of the posts here's my current thoughts about the players.
  • Right now I'm getting a bit of a scummier read on
    Thor665
    due to his continued pushing for a lynch w/o hearing from everyone. Maybe we'll never get anything meaningful out of DukeJupiter though so it is hard to blame him too much. And he is obviously convinced I'm scum and also the obvious de facto town leader.

• Aranneas
    struck me earlier as slightly scummy, since then I've gotten more of a town vibe off of him.

• Who knows about
    DukeJupiter
    ??

• Not much to go on w/
    Anton
    , but a townish read so far based on his post, and a scummy read based on post count.

• Coach Travis
    is giving me a town vibe.

• Mrs Sak
    town read, though still suspicious. Perhaps it is just a brilliant misdirection?

• Got a very scummy vibe from
    scapegoat
    's latest post.

• I don't know what to think about
    willows_weep
    , so null read right now.
Based on my latest reading of things I'm going to UNVOTE: Aranneas and VOTE: scapegoat

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”