Newbie 991 - Newbieville! (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Newbie 991 - Newbieville! (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Newbie 991 - Newbieville

Mod: xRECKONERx

Newbieville is usually a peaceful place full of great scenery. The birds chirp, the dolphins (yes, dolphins) make their dolphin-noises... except on this one fateful day, where you all stumble across the body of your moderator, xRECKONERx, lying dead in the street! *gasp*! Gather your torches and pitchforks and prepare to hunt down the evil mafiosos responsible for this!

Game Status:
GAME OVER

ALIVE (5)
Anton
Sundy (replaced D1)
Coach Travis (SE)

DEAD (7)xRECKONERx,
neutral moderator
, killed pre-game
Mrs Sak
Cirno (replaced D1),
Vanilla Townie
, killed N1
Seth
Robbnva (replaced D2),
Vanilla Townie
, lynched D2
scapegoat
EarthIntruder (replaced D1),
Vanilla Townie
, killed N2

willows_weep (SE)
zipperflesh (replaced D1)[/b],
Vanilla Townie
, lynched D3
Aranneas
mistergreen (replaced D2),
Vanilla Townie
, endgamed
reluctant,
Vanilla Townie
, endgamed

MODKILLED (1)Thor665,
Vanilla Townie
, modkilled D1 because the mod is a dumbass

Game Flow:
  • Assuming you don't lynch or anything first, each day will last three weeks, which is standard for newbie games. You may request a deadline extension, but it is up to my final decision whether or not I grant the extension based on what I've seen. There will not be a lynch if the game goes to night due to this deadline--someone has to consciously place a hammer vote.
  • You may choose to go to night without a lynch before then, by having at least half of the players vote: No Lynch. (That's half, not a full majority.)
  • Votes should be posted in the format 'vote: Barack Obama.' I expect them to be entirely bold, but don't try to exploit this to trick someone. I'll count what I damn well want to count. I will register misspellings and nicknames if I can figure out who you're referring to. You do not have to unvote, but you're welcome to do so anyway.
  • When a player has the majority of the votes at a single point, they are dead and the game goes to twilight. You may post in twilight until I get a lynch scene up.
  • Night deadlines are usually going to be 72-hours, or whenever I receive all actions. If you have a role but don't want to perform a night action, just PM me with the phrase No Night Action so I know you've made your choice.
  • If any anti-town faction does not submit a kill at night, they will no kill and the day phase will continue.

What is and isn't allowed:
  • Unless otherwise specified, living players can't communicate with each other out of the thread. I will set up a QuickTopic for anyone who is able to communicate with someone else.
  • You may rant to both dead players and nonplaying friends, although you're encouraged to first make sure that said friends aren't interested in replacing in with you. (I am of course available, sympathetic and discreet.) Regardless of where you found them, rantbuddies may not reveal their own opinions on the game.
  • "Dead" means "dead." You can have one "Bah! I'm dead! Go town!" post afterwards, but if it contains any game relevant information, I will delete it, bring you back from the dead, and modkill you just to prove a point.
  • Read your role PM and summarize it in your confirmation PM response to me. Unless I've posted it publically, you may not reference its wording in-thread. You can paraphrase if you must claim, but any direct quotation of any PMs will result in a modkill.
  • Green
    font and
    tags are my domain. Don't use them. Don't pretend to use them.
  • You may only type in default font, italics, bold, underline, etc. Do not increase or decrease default font size, do not change font colors, etc.

What to expect from me:
  • Do try to be active, and leave a notification in-thread and/or by PM if that's not possible. I will automatically prod anyone who has not posted over 72 hours--and that's pretty lenient; you are expected to post more than once every three days. If asked, I will disclose the status of any prod.
  • If you don't post in-thread in response to a prod within 24 hours, I will seek a replacement to take over your role. I may seek replacement for a player who lurks consistently without breaking this rule, but you'll have some sort of warning first.
  • If you receive three prods in a row without much contribution to the game, you will automatically be replaced.
  • I'll try to post one votecount per page, as close to the top as possible. If I make errors, please correct me.
  • I'm one of those "spirit-of-the-game"-type hippies. This ruleset is a guideline. I reserve the right to change it at will, and even in extreme circumstances enforce it retroactively. If a strategy feels shady to you, you might want to take it up with me first.

Miscellaneous:
  • Play to win, but do try to have fun while you're at it.

The setup used in this game is called F11. One of the four setups below will be selected at random:
1 mafia goon + 1 mafia roleblocker vs. 1 cop + 1 doctor + 5 vanilla townies
2 mafia goons vs. 1 cop + 6 vanilla townies
2 mafia goons vs. 1 doctor + 6 vanilla townies
1 mafia goon + 1 mafia roleblocker vs. 7 vanilla townies

The mafia will know right off the bat whether they have a roleblocker or not, and from there they'll be able to narrow this down to two setups.

Each of you will receive a role PM; all of the role PMs put together will add up to one of the above setups. Here are possible roles:
Vanilla Townie Role PM wrote:You are a vanilla townie!

You are armed with your two most powerful tools: your voice, and your vote. Each day, you must discuss and vote in the thread to try and find the anti-town members among you. You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Cop Role PM wrote:You are a cop!

During the day, you must work with the rest of the town to lynch the bad guys among you! At night, however, you are able to investigate one player. To do so, send me a PM with the name of the player you wish to investigate. I will respond with one of the following replies: "guilty", "innocent", or "investigation failed". You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Doctor Role PM wrote:You are a doctor!

During the day, you must work with the rest of the town to lynch the bad guys among you! At night, however, you are able to protect one player. To do so, send me a PM with the name of the player you wish to protect. If that player is targeted for a kill that night, barring extenuating circumstances, you will use your doctor-powers to stop the kill! You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Mafia Goon Role PM wrote:You are a Mafia Goon!

During the day, you must blend in with the rest of the town and try to keep your identity hidden. At night, you must converse with your partner, PARTNERNAME, in order to plot out who to kill. You win when you are equal in number to the town, or nothing can prevent that from happening. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Mafia Roleblocker Role PM wrote:You are a Mafia Roleblocker!

During the day, you must blend in with the rest of the town and try to keep your identity hidden. At night, you must converse with your partner, PARTNERNAME, in order to plot out who to kill. In addition to being able to kill, you can also choose to roleblock someone. If that person tries to use a night action when you roleblock them, they will fail to do so. You win when you are equal in number to the town, or nothing can prevent that from happening. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Last edited by xRECKONERx on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 am, edited 22 times in total.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Mrs Sak still hasn't picked up
his
her
its role PM, but I'm gonna go ahead and start Day 1 anyway!

It is now Day 1! With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch!
green shirt thursdays
willows_weep
willows_weep
willow, the mafia slayer
willows_weep
willow, the mafia slayer
willow, the mafia slayer
Location: On a chair in which I used to sit, took a pencil and I wrote the following on it...It's dark in here

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Post by willows_weep »

RVS:
vote: Thor

Why? Because Thor is the IC and perhaps their reaction will lead to some sort of lesson for us.

Yay, for Dolphins!

Okay, so something else I'm working on in my new style of play= Questioning!
1. Which is the best Mafia gambit for scum: Claim Doc or Cop in a standard set up at a time when they are in the hotseat
2. What do you think of the consistency of oatmeal
3. What are your thoughts on sharing the scum buddy Quick Topic with the entire MS community at end game?

Okay, that's all. If you are wondering why I'm asking questions, and voting it's because after my MS hiatus, the newb games I've been playing have been introducing more say...active, highly reactive, overly involved methods of playing that...well, when you're bored with the rest of life...make things kind of interesting.
So, I figure for the summer I'll try as I can to spice things up.

Hi folks.
What is the point of using foul language, downright rudeness, slurs, etc on a gaming site? This is really distasteful.

Forum rules and guidelines (letter and spirit folks)
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14372
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Post by Aranneas »

Ahola.

I'm... some kind of... sparkley... light thing, apparently. What is it really? Who knows. Some questions are better left unasked.
The important thing is I'm here to catch scum and chew gum, and I'm all out of gum.
This will by my second game on this site. I'm hoping you all will help me make it a good one, as I had a less than stellar experience with my first.

willows_weep: I will answer you those questions three... if you will tell me why you asked them.

Oh, wait. You did that already didn't you. Huh.
Beating me to the punch?
Suspicious. :D

However, there is a much likelier candidate for voting at this point, and so I will
vote: scapegoat
because goats are delicious.
And cuddly.
In that order.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 pm

Post by Aranneas »

... oh right, those questions.
willows_weep wrote:1. Which is the best Mafia gambit for scum: Claim Doc or Cop in a standard set up at a time when they are in the hotseat
Interesting start. I'll have to go with cop, but I've never actually had a game as a mafia member before so this is simply based on gut logic. (No that is not a contradiction in terms. Go away. Seriously.)
It does not stand up to the consistency of porridge, I'll say that much.
I'm not a huge fan. I've had far too much of it in rural settings.
3. What are your thoughts on sharing the scum buddy Quick Topic with the entire MS community at end game?
Presumably data mining is a good thing for the mafia playing community as a whole. For open/newbie/normal games I see nothing wrong with it and am, in fact, in favour. In certain closed setups, however (such as the one I'm working on right now), it has the potential to destroy further games with that setup. This is fine if the mod is okay with it, I suppose, but I feel like good games should be allowed to stand the test of time.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Post by Thor665 »

tl:dr - this entire commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip - my second post will be game oriented.

===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see i you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Vote: scapegoat

He seems very suspicious for some reason. Also, bandwagon for the win!

Strategy Note: I did the above vote not because I actually believe that scapegoat is any more or less likely to be scum, but rather because bandwagons get conversation started and conversation tends to end the RVS sooner rather then later - and I hate RVS.
willows_weep wrote:Okay, so something else I'm working on in my new style of play= Questioning!
1. Which is the best Mafia gambit for scum: Claim Doc or Cop in a standard set up at a time when they are in the hotseat
1. Depends on what scum already know about the setup. Each claim has a different effect on the game depending on other roles that are out there, how the scum's actions have been thus far, and what point in the game it is.

2. This question won't help anyone learn anything about whether I am scum or town.

3. This question won't help anyone learn anything about whether I am scum or town.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

Alright, I'm one of the SE's here, which means while I'm not the number one guy for help, I can still answer questions and help explain stuff if needed. Anyway, I'm going to
Vote:scapegoat
I agree with using bandwagons just at the start to set up discussion, get a reaction from the player being voted for, and in general so we can get out of RVS as quick as possible.
willows_weep wrote:1. Which is the best Mafia gambit for scum: Claim Doc or Cop in a standard set up at a time when they are in the hotseat
I've seen both work and both backfire, I don't think either of them is really any better than the other, and both depend on the situation, as to whether or not scum can actually pull it off. Basically, they'd need to hope whatever role they claim isn't actually in that particular game, or it gets messy. Though it could be used to oust the real person with that role, so there are advantages and disadvantages either way.
willows_weep wrote:2. What do you think of the consistency of oatmeal
Don't really care
willows_weep wrote:3. What are your thoughts on sharing the scum buddy Quick Topic with the entire MS community at end game?
In the games I've completed it has been shared, so I'm for it.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

Oh, and I won't be around tomorrow, but I'll be back posting again on Saturday. Just giving an advance warning.
Coach Travis
Coach Travis
Goon
Coach Travis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Post by Coach Travis »

Actually, because I'll be gone for over 24 hours, I feel i should
unvote
, just to prevent things from going too far. Know that I still support the plan to bandwagon on him, but in this situation, it's best to be safe.
reluctant
reluctant
Townie
reluctant
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:59 pm

Post by reluctant »

This is my first game so please let me know if I fumble about too much. The answer to the questions:
I read through 3 games while waiting for confirmation and the time I saw it work a scum preemptively claimed cop before he was in the hotseat during LyLo, so I'm going to go with claiming doc.
willows_weep wrote:2. What do you think of the consistency of oatmeal
I love oatmeal, especially with buttermilk, banana, and walnuts.
willows_weep wrote:3. What are your thoughts on sharing the scum buddy Quick Topic with the entire MS community at end game?
I think it could be interesting and probably allows n00bs the chance to learn so I am all for it.

I'm going to VOTE: Anton just to be different.
willows_weep
willows_weep
willow, the mafia slayer
willows_weep
willow, the mafia slayer
willow, the mafia slayer
Location: On a chair in which I used to sit, took a pencil and I wrote the following on it...It's dark in here

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 am

Post by willows_weep »

Thor: I think question 3 has potential to be telling about the personality one would have as scum. To me it tells me if you're likely to be more outgoing or reclusive as scum. Also, shares a bit about potential ego and how that person as a player is dedicated to the spread of information.
As compared to a scum player that is paranoid because they tend to play a certain way as mafia.

All depends on how it's answered.
What is the point of using foul language, downright rudeness, slurs, etc on a gaming site? This is really distasteful.

Forum rules and guidelines (letter and spirit folks)
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14372
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:03 am

Post by Aranneas »

Greetings to those who are... experienced.
willows_weep wrote:Thor: I think question 3 has potential to be telling about the personality one would have as scum. To me it tells me if you're likely to be more outgoing or reclusive as scum. Also, shares a bit about potential ego and how that person as a player is dedicated to the spread of information.
As compared to a scum player that is paranoid because they tend to play a certain way as mafia.

All depends on how it's answered.
You're assuming they answer it truthfully. That is never something you should assume in mafia unless you can prove it somehow. This type of reasoning is quite likely to lead you into a WIFOM fallacy - "they must be reclusive but what if they know I'm thinking about it that way they'd answer the opposite but what if they know I know that then..." and so on, you get the idea. There's no real end to it and it rarely provides you with useful answers.
reluctant
reluctant
Townie
reluctant
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:26 am

Post by reluctant »

Are there ever any useful answers on day 1? You can never assume anything is truthful and the town doesn't have anything to go on expect for hunches related to a players statements, demeanor, defensiveness, activity, etc... It might just be my naivety but I think the 3 questions are as good a way as any to get things rolling.

While I appreciate your humor (especially post #3) and your argument I find your unwillingness to offer any alternative scum hunting mechanism as scummy
FoS: Aranneas
Mrs Sak
Mrs Sak
Townie
Mrs Sak
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:59 am

Post by Mrs Sak »

Sry, thought I sent the confirmation pm yesterday but I guess I didn't.

Question:
1.The players chosen by the cop/ doc find out that they were pinged/ guarded during the night ?
2. Since players cannot pm each other, the cop can't pm the pinged players either? So basically, only the mafia can get in contact with each other but it's forbidden for the townies to form an alliance outside of the thread- which means any townie alliance will be known by the mafia.
3. Do we find out the role of the dead players at the start of the next day ?

Also, although I see what you guys are saying here when you're randmly voting against each other, the probability that today's lynch would kill a scum is very low. Looking at how the roles and abilities are distributed, I say the townies are at a huge disadvantage even withour a random townie kill. Just saying.
Oh, and about the reactions that you might be able to get from people. I might be wrong but forcing players to give reasons of why they shouldn't be lynched might make some give out their role (aka the doc, cop etc), which leads to certain mafia win.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:53 am

Post by Aranneas »

reluctant wrote:Are there ever any useful answers on day 1?
Yes, for later in the game. Stuff we say now often becomes relevant later on.
You can never assume anything is truthful and the town doesn't have anything to go on expect for hunches related to a players statements, demeanor, defensiveness, activity, etc...
It might just be my naivety but I think the 3 questions are as good a way as any to get things rolling.
And did I say not to ask them? No. I'm all for discussion at this point. Any point, really. It's our main weapon.
While I appreciate your humor (especially post #3) and your argument I find your unwillingness to offer any alternative scum hunting mechanism as scummy
*shrug* If you feel my words thus far deserve your suspicion I don't really have much to say to that, as it's your subjective opinion. I would like to point out again, however, that I didn't say not to ask the questions - I simply suggested that you should not rely too heavily on the answers at this point in time. As you yourself have stated, this stage of play is all about feeling out (up? :D) the other players; once we see patterns start to emerge, we might well be returning to this very page for answers and confirmation. The fact of the matter is that there is no ideal tactic for finding scum during the random voting stage. That's why we call it random. The idea is to move to productive discussion as quickly as possible.

Mrs Sak: Oh, my lanta... I'll do my best to answer these but I might need mod or SE/IC assistance.
Mrs Sak wrote:1.The players chosen by the cop/ doc find out that they were pinged/ guarded during the night ?
Typically, no. I'm pretty sure it's this way for all newbie games. It's up to the mod to give us a definitive response, however.
2. Since players cannot pm each other, the cop can't pm the pinged players either? So basically, only the mafia can get in contact with each other but it's forbidden for the townies to form an alliance outside of the thread- which means any townie alliance will be known by the mafia.
Yes. This is the fun part of the game. How do the power roles make use of their abilities to the fullest extent possible... without getting themselves killed? Obviously you don't want to attract too much attention in the early stages, but working any results you get into your arguments without arousing scum suspicion can be challenging.
In the case of night-killed players, yes. In the case of those we lynch, we find out as soon as night falls.
Also, although I see what you guys are saying here when you're randmly voting against each other, the probability that today's lynch would kill a scum is very low. Looking at how the roles and abilities are distributed, I say the townies are at a huge disadvantage even withour a random townie kill. Just saying.
Also part of the inherent fun of the game. The idea is to gauge people's reactions, try to determine what's going on in their heads, figure out why they're voting a certain way, etc. Lynches are a form of information gathering as well.
Oh, and about the reactions that you might be able to get from people. I might be wrong but forcing players to give reasons of why they shouldn't be lynched might make some give out their role (aka the doc, cop etc), which leads to certain mafia win.
Yes, forcing claims early on will potentially expose them to mafia attention. The fact remains, however, that we really should be lynching someone day one, and it's best to find out as much information as possible before we do that.

Certain
mafia win, however? I disagree, strongly. Are you saying a pure vanilla setup has town doomed from the outset? I could probably dig up links to a large number of games that will prove you wrong. The primary advantage of the mafia is their improved access to information. The primary advantage of the town is their numbers. Power roles help, certainly, but there's no reason that town shouldn't be able to win without them. The flow of the game depends much more on the strengths and styles of the individual players than on the roles they fill.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:56 am

Post by Aranneas »

EBWOP
You can never assume anything is truthful and the town doesn't have anything to go on expect for hunches related to a players statements, demeanor, defensiveness, activity, etc...
Yep. That's how it works. Generally, the more information is available to all players, the more we close in on the mafia's initial information advantage.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:07 am

Post by Thor665 »

tl:dr

I think it's odd that reluctant calls one player scummy and puts out an FoS while random voting a different player.
I answer Mrs Sak's questions and concerns.

====================================================================================================================
reluctant wrote:Are there ever any useful answers on day 1? You can never assume anything is truthful and the town doesn't have anything to go on expect for hunches related to a players statements, demeanor, defensiveness, activity, etc... It might just be my naivety but I think the 3 questions are as good a way as any to get things rolling.
Yes, otherwise Day 2 would be identical to Day 1. Reactions of players plus information of flips begins to provide town the framework for seeing the bigger picture.
reluctant wrote:While I appreciate your humor (especially post #3) and your argument I find your unwillingness to offer any alternative scum hunting mechanism as scummy
Unvote: scapegoat
Vote: reluctant

You voted for Anton "just to be different" which suggests you had no real reason to vote for him.
You then actually pointed out things that Aranneas said that you called scummy, but only chose to FoS him. Why wouldn't you vote someone who has done something scummy? Do you consider Anton still more likely to be scum then Aranneas? If yes, why? If no, why are you still voting Anton?
Mrs Sak wrote:Sry, thought I sent the confirmation pm yesterday but I guess I didn't.

Question:
1.The players chosen by the cop/ doc find out that they were pinged/ guarded during the night ?

I will note that normally I might have voted you simply because the entirety of your post did nothing to scumhunt or help town. But I like my reluctant vote and this being a Newbie game I do have to play slightly modified from normal. I certainly encourage you to try a random vote and/or some probing questions at someone. There are lots of different scumhunting methods but they all rely on getting some sort of reaction out of other players, and you need to start doing that to get your scum reads on people.

1. No.
2. Yes, all town alliances will be formed in thread and Mafia will be able to read of them.
3. When we lynch someone we get their flip (role reveal) at the end of Day. The scum kills are revealed with flip at the start of day.

RE: low chance of scum lynch
- It is less likely that we lynch scum today then town (even random odds work out to basically only 25% chance we lynch scum), but we still need to lynch because otherwise we have a 0% chance to lynch scum.

RE: Town at disadvantage
- I think the win ratio is that scum win roughly 55-57% of games on site. They have the advantage, but it is hardly overwhelming.

RE: Giving out roles
- Town win is not based on the power roles, this is a *very* important concept to get in your head. Town win is about being smart and being able to constantly assess new information. It is the heart of the fun of the game that one side should feel disadvantaged. Trust me, if we lynch scum today then suddenly scum will be the one feeling helpless and with no chance of winning - the two sides are pretty well balanced in the Newbie setup.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:11 am

Post by Aranneas »

Yes, forcing claims early on will potentially expose them to mafia attention. The fact remains, however, that we really should be lynching someone day one, and it's best to find out as much information as possible before we do that.
Aranneas wrote:Yep. That's how it works. Generally, the more information is available to all players, the more we close in on the mafia's initial information advantage.
I just realized these statements could be badly misread and want to clarify before it has any potential to get out of hand. I am not in any way endorsing an immediate mass claim. The identity of any power roles the town may or may not have is information that is currently hidden from the mafia, and it should stay that way as long as possible.

Also it looks like rvs is over. UNVOTE: scapegoat
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:14 am

Post by Thor665 »

Aranneas wrote:Also it looks like rvs is over. Unvote: scapegoat
If RVS is over (for you) then that means you believe that you can start putting out serious votes.

I read your post twice. Didn't see any serious votes...
Didn't see any scumhunting on anyone...

Wat up wit dat?
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 am

Post by Aranneas »

Thor665 wrote:
Aranneas wrote:Also it looks like rvs is over. Unvote: scapegoat
If RVS is over (for you) then that means you believe that you can start putting out serious votes.

I read your post twice. Didn't see any serious votes...
Didn't see any scumhunting on anyone...

Wat up wit dat?
rvs, for me, ends as soon as people start posting serious content. I consider your reluctant's post to be on the edge of that, and yours to be serious.

That is not the same as saying I have strong suspicions at this point. For me, a vote as a tool for applying pressure only really means anything once the majority of people have at least responded to the thread. I might have a soft scum read on someone, but at this point, for all I know everyone in the game is going to have a playstyle too similar to that person for me to tell it apart without more content. At this point I simply have no point of reference to compare my suspicions to. I could vote reluctant, but even in light of your suspicions of him it would look a lot like an OMGUS with so little having been said at this point.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:24 am

Post by Aranneas »

Oh and I don't vote solely because I'm being pressured to by another player. I'll use my tools as I see will best produce a town win. This does not include allowing someone to bait me into jumping at shadows.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 am

Post by Thor665 »

Do you think I'm trying to bait you? If you believe this then theoretically you see my play in a negative light and should react as such. If you don't, then why bring it up?

If you don't have any particular strong reads why not bandwagon on something? RVS is a subjective thing, and until you personally leave it by making your own first serious post it's more helpful to town to have you voting in some way to at least generate more content rather then unvoting and waiting for some mystical insight. (basically if you're not actively doing something to create insights into players I fail to see what you're waiting and hoping for). At the very least, since you see my reluctant vote as serious - why not react to it? Do you think it makes sense or not. Would you support a reluctant lynch? Et al.
reluctant
reluctant
Townie
reluctant
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:53 am

Post by reluctant »

Thor665 wrote: You voted for Anton "just to be different" which suggests you had no real reason to vote for him.
You then actually pointed out things that Aranneas said that you called scummy, but only chose to FoS him. Why wouldn't you vote someone who has done something scummy? Do you consider Anton still more likely to be scum then Aranneas? If yes, why? If no, why are you still voting Anton?
You're correct. I didn't have a reason to vote for Anton as he hasn't appeared in Thread. I chose him randomly to differentiate myself from the obvious scapegoat vote (what a great choice for a name). Between Anton and Aranneas, I think it is pretty close. On one hand Aranneas is awfully active (I somewhere picked up the notion that scum tend to lurk more), but I don't find him productively so. On the other hand Anton hasn't done anything, is he lurking or just LA? If pressed I would've probably put Aranneas as slightly more likely to be scum (maybe 30% as opposed to the normal 25%), but with a low enough confidence that I didn't see the point of switching my vote away from my original random vote. Perhaps I would've changed my mind when Anton appeared, if he even bothered to answer the original 3 questions.

Another note, as an aside, both with Aranneas and Thor665's vote I found that my first knee jerk reaction was to OMGUS vote back. Perhaps my unwillingness to vote was in awareness of that reaction and an effort to not bow to it?
Aranneas wrote: I just realized these statements could be badly misread and want to clarify before it has any potential to get out of hand. I am not in any way endorsing an immediate mass claim. The identity of any power roles the town may or may not have is information that is currently hidden from the mafia, and it should stay that way as long as possible.

I whole heartily agree with the first part of the above quote. I think the 2nd part of this is even more scummy than earlier statements. Declaring an end to RVS? With only 5 people having posted (and only 3 of those actively so). I agree that we should lynch day 1, but I don't think that we're ready to do it without hearing from everyone. Doesn't a quick lynch usually help scum more than town? UNVOTE: Anton VOTE: Aranneas

I realize the irony of making a non-random vote for someone declaring RVS to be over. I'll just note that while I feel Aranneas to be the most scummy I am far from convinced that he is scum.
Aranneas
Aranneas
Townie
Aranneas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:03 am

Post by Aranneas »

reluctant wrote:
Aranneas wrote: I just realized these statements could be badly misread and want to clarify before it has any potential to get out of hand. I am not in any way endorsing an immediate mass claim. The identity of any power roles the town may or may not have is information that is currently hidden from the mafia, and it should stay that way as long as possible.

I whole heartily agree with the first part of the above quote. I think the 2nd part of this is even more scummy than earlier statements. Declaring an end to RVS? With only 5 people having posted (and only 3 of those actively so). I agree that we should lynch day 1, but I don't think that we're ready to do it without hearing from everyone. Doesn't a quick lynch usually help scum more than town? UNVOTE: Anton VOTE: Aranneas

I realize the irony of making a non-random vote for someone declaring RVS to be over. I'll just note that while I feel Aranneas to be the most scummy I am far from convinced that he is scum.
Now that's just a complete misrepresentation of what I wrote. How on earth did you get to "we should lynch as quickly as possible" from "people have started to post content"?

I do not advocate we go for a quicklynch. At all. And I do not see anything in that post that indicates I do. As I said previously, we
want
random voting stage to end as quickly as possible, because it means we are all actively contributing to the discussion and therefore increasing our chances at actually finding someone. Also, I deliberately removed my vote, and stated I was holding it back
because
I was waiting for some of the other players to get in here and contribute. The fact that you jumped on this... and boggled it completely... well, you either deliberately intended to vilify my actions, or you simply didn't read half of what I wrote. Either way, you've removed any reluctance I had to vote for you. VOTE: reluctant

So let's hear the chain of reasoning that led to this post. Please.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”