mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:41 pm

Post by mathcam »

Just as a point of curiosity, why is no logic better than bad logic? Don't take this as a FOS or anything, it's genuine curiosity.

I personally think that some logic, bad or not, is at least on the same level as no logic at all. Otherwise it just becomes a guessing game.

Well, if we can define good logic to be logic that leads us to toward identifying a mafia person, and bad logic to be the complement of good logic, then applying bad logic will increase our chances of hitting a townsperson over a random killing. I agree that the first day is often just a guessing game, unles either a) we are convinced by the mafia to follow bad logic or b) the mafia make a slip of the toungue and we nail 'em. But, hopefully, a guessing game is good for us. And if we don't believe this, then we should perhaps reconsider voting someone off the first day. It's not always the correct play (and this is easily proven) to lynch someone the first day, despite those who insist that it is.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I'm usually more suspicious of people who make faulty claims than those like MedicatedLain who react in a way different than the community standard here on mafiascum.net. This is, of course, not to say anything about the innocence or guilt of Lain. I've already confessed to having no real reason for voting Jadesmar other than trying to get something out of him, but again, I'm willing to switch if any more powerful evidence comes to bear.

Cam
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:19 pm

Post by jeep »

Vote Count
Medicated Lain 4 (Werebear, MatthewV, Beaudoin, Lystrodom)
Jadesmar 4 (quercitron, mathcam, Nyarlathotep. Sugar)
Werebear 1 (Medicated Lain)

Not Voting: cuban smoker, jadesmar

Let me know if I missed anything.

-JEEP

[edit: I had jademar being voted by 3 person on one line and one person on another... this is fixed.]
Last edited by jeep on Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewV
MatthewV
Ninja
MatthewV
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:25 pm

Post by MatthewV »

said by mathcam

I'm usually more suspicious of people who make faulty claims than those like MedicatedLain who react in a way different than the community standard here on mafiascum.net.

I see MedicatedLain's claim of being a townperson faulty, or atleast potentially faulty. Besides saying that his claiming a role was provoked, he has done next to nothing to defend or try to convince us otherwise.

I realize that I seem to be defending jadesmar, but this is not my intent. I simply think that it is dangerous having four votes on someone without any reason.

note to jeep
your vote count is incorrect. Sugar is voting for jadesmar. jadesmar hasnt votted (or said anything) yet. [edit] actually you just put Sugar's vote in the wrong place. (somehow you made jadesmar two people!)confuzzled me.[/edit]
Disclaimer: This informatin may not be used against me in any way, shape, size or form.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:52 pm

Post by mathcam »

I guess my point is that I tend to disregard anyone's claims of being a townsperson, and not use that claim either for or against them. I didn't find Lain's claim particularly suspicious...he was just voted on for no reason, and he was trying to convince people (in an albeit completely non-convincing way) that he wasn't a mafia. As both mafia and townspeople would probably engage in this plan, I don't think we gain any information from that claim. To me, voting for Lain is just as random as voting for Jadesmar. I agree, of course, that his claim is potentially not true (if that's what you meant by "faulty").

I'd be much more willing to vote for him if someone just said they had a gut feeling that he was mafia. Gut feelings are pretty strong, so you can have my vote if people claim one. I feel that probing into the technicalities of how he proclaimed his innocence, however, is kind of a waste of time.

I don't suspect of you colluding with Jadesmar, at least not based on your argument. Consider voting for him. Hm, looking at the vote count, I'm much less suspicious of Lain seeing that he hasn't voted for Jadesmar. Wouldn't a mafia jump at the chance to lynch someone else instead of him? It wouldn't even be very suspicious. (I realize this is also true of townspeople, but I feel it's moreso for mafia). Jadesmar's simply random among the people I suspect the most.

Cam
p.s. Sorry for the double post last time...stupid AOL browser.
Lystrodom
Lystrodom
Watcher
Lystrodom
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:30 am

Post by Lystrodom »

Ya know, you seem to be defending Lain an awful lot. I don't suspect you or anything, yet, but I'm watching you. And, no, not while you shower.
MatthewV
MatthewV
Ninja
MatthewV
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:37 am

Post by MatthewV »

I think that Medicated Lain isnt voting for jadesmar mostly because he hasnt come to the forum recently.

I almost could have a strong feeling that Medicated Lain isnt really telling the truth with his claim...I guess I could go with voting for jadesmar, only because silent people dont do much for us.
Disclaimer: This informatin may not be used against me in any way, shape, size or form.
MatthewV
MatthewV
Ninja
MatthewV
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:05 pm

Post by MatthewV »

::pokes people::
we need to make this game move someday. Unless I see reason not to tomarrow, I will change my vote to jadesmar.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:43 pm

Post by jeep »

I've being leniant since it is the holiday season, but it's been too quiet... so I'll set a deadline: 1 January 5pm PST. (oh, and it's a "soft" deadline, so if things pick up, I'll extend it.)

-JEEP
MatthewV
MatthewV
Ninja
MatthewV
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:54 pm

Post by MatthewV »

now that the deadline is mentioned, i think i will let time run down before changing :)

I do fence, so poking you guys shouldnt be too much work..hehe
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:46 pm

Post by mathcam »

Perhaps you should switch sooner rather than later, so that we can have some hope of being able to gather up enough votes to lynch
someone
today? You and lystrodom (the only other players apparently playing for the time being) switching to jadesmar will give us the 6 needed to kill, whereas me switching to Lain still only gives us 5. As for Lystrodom, I grant that I have been defending Lain vigorously, but this was more of an attack on the method used to incriminate Lain rather than a defense of him or anything he's said. But, as you say, keep a close eye on me, and let's maybe kill Lain tomorrow or something if Jadesmar turns out good.

Cam
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:13 am

Post by Werebear »

Medicated Lain, after a single random vote wrote:aaahh! evil werebear.. i'm just an innocent townsperson!

vote:werebear

Anyone joining a mafia should have at least
read
a few mafias, and would know that the first day is MOSTLY random votes. Hopefully, they'd also know that what they did is called a OMGUS (oh my god you suck) vote, which means you're voting them merely because they voted you. They might have also learned that coming out with a role is something you do at specific times, like when you're about to be lynched, or if you're a cop and you have good information... not the first time someone votes you in a post. If any of these weren't known before, Medicated Lain knows them now, and will be a better mafia player next time.

Either that, or a guilty conscience is making Medicated Lain jumpy. *grin*
hitman
hitman
Watcher
hitman
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:37 am

Post by hitman »

Could I take over Jadesmar's position?
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:23 am

Post by Beaudoin »

I was reading over some mafia threads at the GL, and noticed that jadesmar had posted that he would be away from the 28th to the 3rd. Now, that's not very sporting, lynching a guy who's not there to defend himself. Granted, he never posted in the game *before* he was gone, but you get my point.
Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain" -jeep, Minigame 20
MatthewV
MatthewV
Ninja
MatthewV
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:00 pm

Post by MatthewV »

I would rather have ML lynched instead of a silent person who failed to tell us he was gone. If we dont make 6 votes before the deadline, does the person with the most get killed?
quercitron
quercitron
Watcher
quercitron
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:01 pm

Post by quercitron »

Point.
Unvote: jadesmar, vote: ML
, though I still have my eye on jadesmar, and not just because he's silent.
Nyarlathotep
Nyarlathotep
Townie
Nyarlathotep
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:18 pm

Post by Nyarlathotep »

i personally think it makes more sense to lynch people who arent playing, but i'm not sure this is good winning strategy. at any rate, i'll jump on that bandwagon, as medlain looks equally suspicious to me (but then, so do most of you ppl).

unvote: jadesmar, vote: medlain

nyarlathotep
MatthewV
MatthewV
Ninja
MatthewV
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:41 pm

Post by MatthewV »

so who gets to shearch his house? Can i have any money we find? please....?
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:13 pm

Post by jeep »

"Mathcam, it must be him!" says MatthewV.

"No no, it's jadesmar," says quercitron. "Oh, and I'm a townie, nyah nyah. I claimed first so you know it's true. Mafia wouldn't have the balls to claim townie!"

"Townie!! You must be mafia! Why else would you say you're a townie?" retorts Lystrodom.

"OK, OK, maybe I was wrong... it might not be Mathcam," says Mathcam.

"Quercitron, you may be right. I may be crazy. But it just might be a lunatic you're looking for... hmm... what was I saying? Oh, yeah, you may be right, I may... no, no... anyway, sure, quercitron, I'll help you string up jadesmar," says Mathcam.

Werebear says, "Medicated lain is quiet, let's lynch ML!"

"Do we have to lynch someone? I'm not really sure how to be part of this angry mob thing. It's not really my scene. I'll help you lynch whomever. Jadesmar is as good as anyone else," says Nyarlathotep.

"Werebear is evil!" says Medicated Lain.

"Medicated Lain, you sure are weird... I'd like to see you strung up," says MatthewV.

"I'm not witty or insightful, so I think we should lynch Beaudoin," says Sugar.

Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain"

"OK, OK, I just wanted to hear what you'd say," says Sugar.

Lystrodom thinks to himself... "Hmm... Beaudon is being smarter than I am..." Then aloud he says, "Beaudoin, I'll help you!"

Sugar pipes in with a "Let's lynch jadesmar."

"Screw it, I'll help y'all get ML," says quercitron.

"Sure why not?," says Nyarlathotep.

And with that Medicated Lain is dragged to the tree and strung up. "Dibs on his cash," shouts MatthewV as he rushes to Medicated Lains house.

[original]
Now here's the kicker, I have to get my laptop out to find out ML's role, so I'll announce it soon.[/original]

[New]
After a thorough search of ML's house, MatthewV is happy to find only 76 cents and a stick of Juicy Fruit (unchewed) in the cushions of the couch. No one else found anything of interest. MedicatedLain was a townie.

Medicated Lain, Townie, was lynched by the town

Choices due Friday 10am PST. 8.5 + 48 hours from the time this post was editted.
[/new]

It's night, if you know your choice, send it in. Otherwise, it'll be due 48 hours after I post ML's role.

Hitman, maybe... Right now, you cannot replace jadesmar since he confirmed his participation at the start of the game and this might be his strategy. I will check with him "tonight". If I find that he is no longer playing, then I will offer the position to the people in the mini-game sign-up list, in the order they signed up.

Note to everyone, I will only answer questions that are explicitly directed at me. If you have a question about the game that you want me to answer, please make it a point to ask me directly (either in the thread or via e-mail). Most questions should be answered by reading the first post.

-JEEP
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:25 am

Post by Beaudoin »

Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain"

Durrr...maths is hard. No, this isn't relevant information.
Beaudoin responds: "Hey! Well, no hard feeling, I guess. Since 2 is greater than 3, I'll help y'all string up Medicated Lain" -jeep, Minigame 20
Night Stalker
Night Stalker
John Smith. Really.
Night Stalker
John Smith. Really.
John Smith. Really.

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:30 am

Post by Night Stalker »

Good job, guys. You just lynched a teenage girl (that's right, a female) who was playing her first ever game of online mafia. Sheesh, all she did was say she innocent. ONLY mafia would do that, right?!?!?

Isn't there some custom against lynching first time players on the first day?
[size=75]"It's only a bunny!"[/size]
Beaudoin
Beaudoin
Watcher
Beaudoin
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:22 am

Post by Beaudoin »

I don't want this to sound like a "too bad" post, and I *don't* want to get a royal smackdown from jeep for night discussion, but...

1) It matters that Lain was female?
2) There's an unwritten rule about not killing newbies first day, but not a steadfast one. Besides, she's free to sign up for another mini now (it's not like Brunchma, where there can be months between mafia signups, signups are almost constant here).
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:15 am

Post by jeep »

The town sleeps in a little bit. Apparently, everyone's alarm clock was set a little bit off. As the town assembles, they notice that jadesmar was missing. There is a collective sigh.

"So did he just run off?" someone asked.

"I don't remember seeing him yesterday afternoon, either. Maybe there's nothing amiss. Let's just continue on."

"No, we must find out if he's around."

So the town splits up and looks for jadesmar. They find him, dead. He hadn't even picked up the nights laundry. "Now who is going to clean my suit? I have a job interview tomorrow!" mutters someone in the crowd.

jadesmar, Laundry Attendant (version 2) was killed by the mafia.

It is day. Vote, 5 to lynch.

-JEEP
MatthewV
MatthewV
Ninja
MatthewV
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:25 am

Post by MatthewV »

ML wasnt scum, he was CHEAP SCUM!!! Oh, I only eat the real stuff, Juicy Froot.

--will be gone until Sunday night--
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:34 am

Post by cuban smoker »

??? What an odd comment from Matthew...

I have returned. And I recognize the laundry attendant from previous minor investigative town roles from minigames. I think jeep may have even been in charge of that one. But we also have townies.

I wouldn't feel bad about lynching medicated lain, she didn't say much. Of course, you are all still bloodthirsty monkeys. Let's shape up, eh?

FOS: MatthewV
for not paying attention to the little night posts. I've always wondered what else people who don't read everything skim through... including the important parts.
Sugar
Sugar
moderately caffeinated
Sugar
moderately caffeinated
moderately caffeinated

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:49 pm

Post by Sugar »

Of course, you are all still bloodthirsty monkeys. Let's shape up, eh?

All right, Coach smoker... lead on! With possibly two cop-types down, looks like we need help.
And I do feel somewhat bad about Medicated Lain. It could have been prevented (I think), if she'd have simply come back and explained her newbie-ness. But yikes, Night Stalker, how was anybody supposed to know any of the information you supplied, afterwards? :? Anyway, is it too late to offer a collective town apology?
[color=#500000] [size=75]Man! Today is so loopy! - The Tick[/size][/color]

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”