Newbie 1625: American Spring - Day 5 (DL - 08/31)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Akuseru
Akuseru
Goon
Akuseru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:22 am

Post by Akuseru »

notscience wrote:
That being said, what do you think of Jguy's push, misconstruing the reasoning behind my push? Saying I don't have my own reasons?

He's welcome to his opinion/guess. I don't see it as misconstruing since i can't confirm your reasoning. From my pov its just your word against his.
VeeGee
VeeGee
Goon
VeeGee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07 am

Post by VeeGee »

In post 19, StubbsKVM wrote:That's the shortest RVS I've ever seen.

I'm leaning town on notscience.

VeeGee, do you have any mafia experience?

Not much, though I have played a couple of Marathon games.
stoz
stoz
Goon
stoz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:44 am

Post by stoz »

In post 23, HenryCabotLodge wrote:but saying "hi" is the most innocuous, neutral thing a player can say.

I think that might be the point, that scum would say the most neutral thing possible.

For those truly new to the site, it took me until half way through my first game to figure out the links at the very bottom of the page. If you haven't seem them already, there is a "Subscribe Topic" button down the bottom left which will send you emails whenever there is a new post in the thread. In the middle under the "quick reply" box there isa dropdown that lets you view all post in the thread by a single user which people call ISO (isolation). Finally in the bottom right corner under the pagination buttons there is an "Activity Overview" link which shows you how recently each person has posted in the thread. Hopefully that helps someone.
VeeGee
VeeGee
Goon
VeeGee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:24 am

Post by VeeGee »

In post 27, stoz wrote:
In post 23, HenryCabotLodge wrote:but saying "hi" is the most innocuous, neutral thing a player can say.

I think that might be the point, that scum would say the most neutral thing possible.

Wouldn't a scum want to appear town, rather than neutral?
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Vote Count 1.2
MEAN TWEETS

VeeGee
(2): HenryCabotLodge, notscience
HenryCabotLodge
(1): VeeGee
notscience
(1): JoramvanVugt

Not Voting
(5): stoz, ellio140, StubbsKVM, Akuseru, Micc

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Deadline: July 19, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2015-07-18 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

- :]
Last edited by fferyllt on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
HenryCabotLodge
HenryCabotLodge
Goon
HenryCabotLodge
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Post by HenryCabotLodge »

In post 24, notscience wrote:Let me answer your question with another-

How do you expect to get out of RVS with a bandwagon for the sake of getting RVS?

I'm serious about my vote. I know it's strange, but given how much we've had thus far, that is the avenue I believe scum is most likely found behind. Maybe it's overanalysis, I've been known to do it before, but I've also been right when overanalyzing before, so.

I expect bandwagoning for its own sake to work because there are different reactions to a bandwagon that we can work through as a town. We can see who hops on opportunistically, we can see who opposes it, we can see who posts a thesis on the legitimacy of the bandwagon, etc.- the point is that bandwagoning is a viable, and beneficial, way to get out of RVS. I'm not sure how beneficial it is to meticulously dissect the very first post by a player in the game that amounts to nothing more than a simple greeting.

VeeGee wrote:
In post 27, stoz wrote:

Wouldn't a scum want to appear town, rather than neutral?

I think everybody has different views as to what "townie", "neutral", and "scummy" play is. I don't think it does much good to get bogged down in semantics and personal definitions. I think the only thing that works in a game like this is finding logical inconsistencies and examining voting patterns. You can do any amount of intellectual gymnastics to make any person's play seem townie or scummy.
VeeGee
VeeGee
Goon
VeeGee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Post by VeeGee »

UNVOTE: HCL
Akuseru
Akuseru
Goon
Akuseru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Post by Akuseru »

HenryCabotLodge wrote:
I'm not sure how beneficial it is to meticulously dissect the very first post by a player in the game
that amounts to nothing more than a simple greeting

Why does your vote remain?
HenryCabotLodge
HenryCabotLodge
Goon
HenryCabotLodge
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:12 pm

Post by HenryCabotLodge »

In post 32, Akuseru wrote:
HenryCabotLodge wrote:
I'm not sure how beneficial it is to meticulously dissect the very first post by a player in the game
that amounts to nothing more than a simple greeting

Why does your vote remain?

Because he's not in any real danger of being lynched and I don't think anybody else is worth voting for now that we're out of RVS. Also laziness/neglect- it didnt't even occur to me to unvote yet this early on.
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Post by notscience »

In post 30, HenryCabotLodge wrote:I expect bandwagoning for its own sake to work because there are different reactions to a bandwagon that we can work through as a town. We can see who hops on opportunistically, we can see who opposes it, we can see who posts a thesis on the legitimacy of the bandwagon, etc.- the point is that bandwagoning is a viable, and beneficial, way to get out of RVS. I'm not sure how beneficial it is to meticulously dissect the very first post by a player in the game that amounts to nothing more than a simple greeting.

Ultimately my issue is, if you know that there is a bandwagon on you for the sake of bandwagoning, it's hard to garner any real reaction out of it. While yes, we can see who joins and opposes it, what separates the "LOLBANDWAGON" from a scum hiding? What separates "I'm not feeling this wagon" from scum avoiding the wagon?
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:37 am

Post by fferyllt »

Thespio replaces ellio140. Please welcome him!
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:42 am

Post by Thespio »

Hey, Im reading over this and then I post reads.
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:59 am

Post by Thespio »

Ok, here are my reads for D1, So far:

VeeGee

Spoiler:
Is not Stressed under Random Lynch from first post. Soft claims Town…

HenryCabotLodge

Spoiler:
Immidate vote for no reason indicates town at this point but does not clear them as town.
#30 makes me think they are more scum leaning, so I will be ok if we lynch him.

notscience

Spoiler:
Bandwagons, then gets SUUUPER defencive when questioned: #11, #18
This makes me think they are scummy although they do back their behavior, so i place them on my watch list...

Akuseru

Spoiler:
If scum, so is veegee. He seems genuinely town and opposes D1 Random lynch. At this time they are leaning town.

JoramvanVugt

Spoiler:
Not a very supported vote, I want an reason. #10, but no reason to think they are scum.

StubbsKVM

Spoiler:
NEWB shines through this slot, marking hesitantly as town

Micc
Spoiler:
Too Calm, urks me, I would like more info on Micc.

So I will be voting:
VOTE: HenryCabotLodge
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:03 am

Post by Thespio »

Thoughts?
Akuseru
Akuseru
Goon
Akuseru
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:19 am

Post by Akuseru »

Thespio wrote:

HenryCabotLodge

Immidate vote for no reason indicates town at this point but does not clear them as town.

Where exactly in his post makes you think he might be scum?

Thespio wrote:
StubbsKVM

What makes you think he's a one? Why would that make him more likely to be town?

Thespio wrote:Micc
Too Calm, urks me, I would like more info on Micc.[/spoiler]

How did you conclude they were "calm"? Why does it urk you?
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:29 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 39, Akuseru wrote:
Thespio wrote:

HenryCabotLodge

Where exactly in his post makes you think he might be scum?

He is justifying his random vote, when in truth there is no justification because its random, at the same time he is claiming he is bandwagon while he is actually the one who started the bandwagon. I find this scummy.

Thespio wrote:
StubbsKVM

What makes you think he's a one? Why would that make him more likely to be town?

Honestly, his random chime in asking about experience is something I have only seen from a player who will attempt to justify a lynch. I hate when people try to make a claim based off. Its an annoying newbie thing to do, although he is kinda lurking so im watching him at this point.[/quote]

Thespio wrote:Micc
Too Calm, urks me, I would like more info on Micc.[/spoiler]

How did you conclude they were "calm"? Why does it urk you?
[/quote]
This is more of a gut feeling... its why i haven't given him town or scum assignment.
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:17 am

Post by Thespio »

@Akuseru, what are your scum reads so far?
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:32 am

Post by notscience »

Thespio-
Re: Veegee- Why would scum be stressed after 2 votes in RVS, the second of which everyone else jumps on? In fact, he had a very subdued 'yeah, what he said' comment after it. That looks rather stressed.

Re: Me- Sharing reasons for voting someone makes me scummy? And being defensive is null, it's a matter of playstyle. But, whatever.

re: Akuseru- Why do you keep calling it a random lynch? I've repeatedly stated my vote is serious. What about his play seems "genuinely town" and what makes you think hes only scum if veegee is scum?

Re Micc: "too calm?" He only has his generic IC intro and a promsie to catch up. I don't see how this can even be a thing.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:44 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 42, notscience wrote:Thespio-
Re: Veegee- Why would scum be stressed after 2 votes in RVS, the second of which everyone else jumps on? In fact, he had a very subdued 'yeah, what he said' comment after it. That looks rather stressed.

Nah, he didnt freak out, so it wont strike against him.

Re: Me- Sharing reasons for voting someone makes me scummy? And being defensive is null, it's a matter of playstyle. But, whatever.

This 'Playstyle' is anti-town, and also unproductive, so more scum then town.

re: Akuseru- Why do you keep calling it a random lynch? I've repeatedly stated my vote is serious. What about his play seems "genuinely town" and what makes you think hes only scum if veegee is scum?

I said if he is scum so is veegee, not the other way around, he jumped to veegee's safety immediately, he is also more cautious which is pro town.

Re Micc: "too calm?" He only has his generic IC intro and a promsie to catch up. I don't see how this can even be a thing.

Are you vouching for him? because i didnt call him scum, but his posts make me nervous, more gut feeling than anything, as I stated.

If you arent opposed to HenryCabotLodge then lynching him shouldnt be an issue.
StubbsKVM
StubbsKVM
Mafia Scum
StubbsKVM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:45 am

Post by StubbsKVM »

In post 38, Thespio wrote:Thoughts?

I'm not a newbie.

Does green mean "town" and is yellow "null"? On your read of Joram, you say: no reason to think scum. However, you give no reason for reading him town.

Other than that, I am amazed at how fast you develop reads.
Check out my wiki for my mafia statistics.
StubbsKVM
StubbsKVM
Mafia Scum
StubbsKVM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:49 am

Post by StubbsKVM »

In post 40, Thespio wrote:
Thespio wrote:
StubbsKVM

Honestly, his random chime in asking about experience is something I have only seen from a player who will attempt to justify a lynch. I hate when people try to make a claim based off. Its an annoying newbie thing to do, although he is kinda lurking so im watching him at this point.

I asked about his experience because I wanted to relate it to notscience's criticism about the "Hello" post.
Most people just come in and Random vote. So NS is right about the "nervous" entrance.
However, as he admitted being new, this probably means nothing.
StubbsKVM
StubbsKVM
Mafia Scum
StubbsKVM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:51 am

Post by StubbsKVM »

In post 43, Thespio wrote:
In post 42, notscience wrote:Thespio-

Nah, he didnt freak out, so it wont strike against him.

This 'Playstyle' is anti-town, and also unproductive, so more scum then town.

I said if he is scum so is veegee, not the other way around, he jumped to veegee's safety immediately, he is also more cautious which is pro town.

Are you vouching for him? because i didnt call him scum, but his posts make me nervous, more gut feeling than anything, as I stated.

more cautious is pro town? Doesn't scum tend to be more afraid of being lynched, and therefore more cautious?
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:57 am

Post by notscience »

In post 43, Thespio wrote:Nah, he didnt freak out, so it wont strike against him.

Would you freak out as scum at two votes, one that everyone else is questioning?

I wouldn't.
In post 43, Thespio wrote:This 'Playstyle' is anti-town, and also unproductive, so more scum then town.

Nah.
In post 43, Thespio wrote:I said if he is scum so is veegee, not the other way around, he jumped to veegee's safety immediately, he is also more cautious which is pro town.

Pro-town=/=town

Hell, the defending speaks more of aku's alignment. Interactions go two ways- you can't just say "oh well he defended him from 2 votes" Well can scum not defend town?
In post 43, Thespio wrote:Are you vouching for him? because i didnt call him scum, but his posts make me nervous, more gut feeling than anything, as I stated.

I've already expressed a townread on him. And I'm saying his posts making you nervous is bullshit, because he has post NOTHING of any relevance to the game at all. It's like saying you're scumreading teh mod for her rules posts. So no.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:08 am

Post by notscience »

In post 25, Akuseru wrote:
notscience wrote:
That being said, what do you think of Jguy's push, misconstruing the reasoning behind my push? Saying I don't have my own reasons?

He's welcome to his opinion/guess. I don't see it as misconstruing since i can't confirm your reasoning. From my pov its just your word against his.

But then again, irrational fear of the IC is usually a towntell.

So you're probably town.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:10 am