Newbie 1675: Resolution Mafia - GAME OVER!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Christopher
Christopher
Goon
Christopher
Goon
Goon

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:18 am

Post by Christopher »

In post 274, Drixx wrote:Post #273 doesn't look like it was written by someone who doesn't already know that town lynches every day, even day one. That's pretty damning, imo. That's exactly the sort of thing I look for when someone opens the game pretending to know nothing about how it works. Wow.

AI wanted participation from me, he gets participation from me, and then that makes me super suspect?
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:21 am

Post by KickAssAndGiggle »

In post 268, Accountant wrote:Why do people keep convincing themselves that they "know" whether or not Christopher's question is noob? Am I surrounded by mind readers?

I didn't see anybody say they *know*, but if AI is going to call Christopher scum, at the point I posted, that can be the only evidence on him. And my view WAS, on the balance of probabilities, it's a newb question.

But Drixx makes an interesting point in post . I shall think on it.

KAAG you were willing to vote pig for pressure, why not vote nic for same

I'm only quoting this to state that I'm about to do just that, but that it was an independent decision. :)

VOTE: Nictherat

(That's
L-2
)
It's OK if you disagree with me. I can't
force
you to be right...
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:50 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 215, Nictherat wrote:*insert obligatory "Hi I'm new" phrasing here*

Be aware this may just be Noob stupidity talking, but hey, I'm open to suggestions.

This may be a bit of a Noob question, but is it appropriate now to start thinking about what our TPR should try and do tonight?

Have I missed anything blatantly obvious I should have said or picked up on?

That could just be my inexperienced read skills talking though.

I could be wrong, but doesn't redirecting suspicion seem more scum then town?

Is ninja'd even a term we use on here?

Maybe it's just me who had that thought.

Nictherat sure likes to empashsize his newbiness...
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:52 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

Also, I generally do not care much about so-called "slips", but this really seems to be scum-motivated:

Have I missed anything blatantly obvious
I should have said
?
"I should have said?" Really? Should have?
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:54 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

You know what I am thinking? He posted that in the Mafia PT, and asked his scum buddy what he thought of it. However, he accidently copied that line to his new post. That is my guess.
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:01 am

Post by Drixx »

Just be careful of reading too much into it AI. I could show you plenty of places where I made a Freudian slip as town and posted something that could be viewed the way you are suggesting in #279. You might be right, but it would be a lot better to have other reasons than that.
Get to know a Drixx - Recently Updated!
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:07 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

Yeah, the "slip" was just icing on the cake, though. His emphasis on him being a newbie is more important.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:12 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

Then we have his predecessor (Kosc), who also said some interesting things.

In post 98, Kosc wrote:Maybe i read pignash as town to easily but i think he would have put more effort in defending himself if he was mafia, again this is just my opinion.
Here, in post #98, Kosc says that he reads Pignash as town. "Just his opinion." OK, we get that. But why emphasize it?
In post 99, Kosc wrote:
It's a lot more than white noise...why is Drixx so eager to throw shade on your wagon, but without explicitly defending you?

I think he [Drixx] is trying to save his mafia buddy [Pignash], i know that might be too obvious but i`m sticking to this for now.
This is the next post, #99. Now Kosc suddenly scumreads Pignash, along with Drixx. He says that he is "sticking to this for now", but that completely contradicts the post right before that post, which was posted ~15 minutes later.
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:16 am

Post by Drixx »

In post 281, AlwaysInnocent wrote:Yeah, the "slip" was just icing on the cake, though. His emphasis on him being a newbie is more important.

Okay, but Christopher opened the game with a question that could only come from someone with extremely limited experience (or no experience) with forum based mafia. The subset of situations in which town should give up the only power we have and choose not to lynch is tiny, and it never includes day one. He asked, and implicit in that question is him representing himself as not knowing.

Then he makes a post just recently where he displays a much higher level of understanding of the game.

That
is the contradiction that I'm currently considering. There's so little else to judge him by that I'm a little worried about just jumping to the conclusion that I'm seeing a legitimate contradiction and that it is automatically scummy. There exists the possibility that he picked up a lot just in the game so far, or did some reading in the wiki, or whatever. That's why I commented/questioned and I'm still trying to figure out if his reaction to that is genuine townie "I'm doing what you asked, what the hell do you want from me?" kind of posting, or if it's faux.

I would appreciate your thoughts, if you want to look at what I'm pointing out.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:17 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

If Nictherat is indeed scum (and I consider this very likely at this point), then it is unlikely that Christopher is scum as well. In that case, it must be someone a little more experienced, who he is asking advice from.

So yes, if that is true, the game has not been completely solved yet. Sniff.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:23 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 283, Drixx wrote:
In post 281, AlwaysInnocent wrote:Yeah, the "slip" was just icing on the cake, though. His emphasis on him being a newbie is more important.

Okay, but Christopher opened the game with a question that could only come from someone with extremely limited experience (or no experience) with forum based mafia. The subset of situations in which town should give up the only power we have and choose not to lynch is tiny, and it never includes day one. He asked, and implicit in that question is him representing himself as not knowing.

Then he makes a post just recently where he displays a much higher level of understanding of the game.

That
is the contradiction that I'm currently considering. There's so little else to judge him by that I'm a little worried about just jumping to the conclusion that I'm seeing a legitimate contradiction and that it is automatically scummy. There exists the possibility that he picked up a lot just in the game so far, or did some reading in the wiki, or whatever. That's why I commented/questioned and I'm still trying to figure out if his reaction to that is genuine townie "I'm doing what you asked, what the hell do you want from me?" kind of posting, or if it's faux.

You mean, that he didn't know that No Lynch is objectively worse for town, and did know, for some reason, what the abbreviation FOS stood for?
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:28 am

Post by Drixx »

In post 285, AlwaysInnocent wrote:

That

You mean, that he didn't know that No Lynch is objectively worse for town, and did know, for some reason, what the abbreviation FOS stood for?

I had to go look at the post again to see what pinged me. Too many buzzwords for someone representing himself as so new to the game he doesn't realize town always lynches on day one.
Christopher
Christopher
Goon
Christopher
Goon
Goon

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:32 am

Post by Christopher »

AlwaysInnocent wrote:

That

To be clear, I haven't ever played forum based mafia. I have played it socially, though. In those non-forum based mafia games, we usually start with a night kill.

I'm not claiming that I've never played the game before, but I haven't played it on a forums.

My reaction to AI was, in part, based on his recent sporadic voting. AI's recent play is either designed to seek further input from those of us who haven't participated much recently, or he is actively trying to cast doubt on the Pignash wagon. If the second, then the question is whether AI is town-aligned and looking to goose input, or scum aligned.

Given Pignash's quick participation after AI's prodding, Pignash's unvote after AI's prodding, and AI's refocus away from Pignash, I'm suspicious of him.

I'm not suspicious of AI solely because he's claimed that I am scum, but rather because of his recent play style. His play style appears to me to be suspicious. I recognize that, to everyone else, I am as uncleared as anyone else here.

On balance though, AI is acting scummy. I'm still not convinced that Pignash is clear, though.
Christopher
Christopher
Goon
Christopher
Goon
Goon

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:34 am

Post by Christopher »

There's also the possibility that AI genuinely believes that Nic is scum, but that's difficult for me to evaluate given his recent play.
Christopher
Christopher
Goon
Christopher
Goon
Goon

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:37 am

Post by Christopher »

In post 286, Drixx wrote:
In post 285, AlwaysInnocent wrote:

That

I had to go look at the post again to see what pinged me. Too many buzzwords for someone representing himself as so new to the game he doesn't realize town always lynches on day one.

I also used BW in post #129 to refer to the "bandwagon". I'm not trying to hide.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:57 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

Oh, yeah, Christopher? Do you use FOS as an abbreviation in real-life Mafia too?
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:01 am

Post by Radical Rat »

UNVOTE:
VOTE: Christopher[/unvote]

AI isn't acting scummy at all by this point. Is he incredibly overconfident? Perhaps. But scum ought to know this sort of thing would just blow up in their face, and given AI's SE status, I'm sure he's aware of how insane this would be if he didn't mean it.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:03 am

Post by Radical Rat »

VOTE: Christopher

Fixing the vote.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:32 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Radical - if you, as the vote on christopher suggests, are buying into AI's theory (which...I dunno, I think there is something vibing townie about 287), then why that over nice?
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Post by Drixx »

287 is an overwhelmingly town reading post. Christopher is either really really good at this (if scum), or is being totally genuine there. I've been fooled too many times to assume the latter (*glares at AI*), but... I'm leaning away from Christopher today. I like that it didn't take a lot of pressure to get him to talk.

@Christopher - Can you give some thoughts on the other players in the game please? It would help to have an idea of what you're thinking about the rest of us.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 293, Bellaphant wrote:Radical - if you, as the vote on christopher suggests, are buying into AI's theory (which...I dunno, I think there is something vibing townie about 287), then why that over nice?

Just because he may or may not be scum doesn't mean I can't be civil. Besides, I'm not sure I buy AI's theory. I simply have a fairly confident townread on him.

My vote is far from final right now.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by Accountant »

Nothing special to say atm. I think a proper L-1 with intent to hammer and roleclaim are appropriate now.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 294, Drixx wrote:287 is an overwhelmingly town reading post. Christopher is either really really good at this (if scum), or is being totally genuine there. I've been fooled too many times to assume the latter (*glares at AI*), but... I'm leaning away from Christopher today. I like that it didn't take a lot of pressure to get him to talk.

@Christopher - Can you give some thoughts on the other players in the game please? It would help to have an idea of what you're thinking about the rest of us.
I guess, but I would like to know how he picked up on those abbreviations.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:26 am

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 297, AlwaysInnocent wrote:
In post 294, Drixx wrote:287 is an overwhelmingly town reading post. Christopher is either really really good at this (if scum), or is being totally genuine there. I've been fooled too many times to assume the latter (*glares at AI*), but... I'm leaning away from Christopher today. I like that it didn't take a lot of pressure to get him to talk.

I guess, but I would like to know how he picked up on those abbreviations.

You can always state that you suspect someone. Generally this is done by using the acronym FoS, which means "Finger of Suspicion"

- From Drixx' IC intro
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:30 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

Lol. Well, that explains it. I agree that we should place Christopher at fence-town for now.

This is also supported by my theory that Nictherat accidently copied text from the Mafia PT to this thread, in which case he was asking a more experienced player for advice (Bellaphant? KAAG?).

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”