Newbie 1720: Arctic Mafia - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Post by Apricity »

I for one haven't seen a newbie fake that before. So it's not impossible but it seems unlikely.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Post by Apricity »

Boring, what do you mean "excluded"?

Dunn, what's with the naked vote?
ish
ish
Townie
ish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Post by ish »

As Drixx said I also think it's way too naive to give town reads after a mere few posts...

What do we talk about during each round specifically this round? I know later rounds we will be able to discuss what happened during the night etc.

"Naked vote"?
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Post by boring »

In post 24, Drixx wrote:I don't think anyone should get town read for posting about titles. That's such an easy way to come across as guileless. I would put very little weight in that. I'm actually kind of more interested that TWO people handed out town reads for something so insignificant.
What would that imply? And are the implications on them or on us?

Also, just to clarify, would you answer these questions as the IC, or as a player? I'm wondering where the line is, since this game naturally seems to have an element of question and answer without the presence of an IC mentor person.
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:17 pm

Post by Apricity »

A naked vote is a vote without reasoning. You'll see what we talk about as the Day goes on, but it's essentially behaviors.

Drixx, it's my first time SEing--is it alright to answer questions as an SE too or should we leave them to you?
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Post by boring »

In post 26, Apricity wrote:Boring, what do you mean "excluded"
you and Ish were excluded from the vote at that time. I mean no one had voted for you. Ish had a big "townie" under his name, so I unexcluded you.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 22, Apricity wrote:Lol...Lazy too, but to a lesser extent than Boring. I think they're both town.
Nope. I hold doubt in my mind that it's possible that lazy was faking it, but not boring
Apricity wrote:I think it's changed though. Mafia Scum should be 1000 posts now, and not 5000.
It is, 5000 is Jack of all trades
Apricity wrote:Dunn, what's with the naked vote?
It says mafia scum under your name
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Post by Apricity »

It says that under your name too ^.^
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:22 pm

Post by boring »

Look people, make fun of me all you want, but I guarantee there are more dumb questions where that came from, so you might as well pace yourselves. :lol:
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 27, ish wrote:As Drixx said I also think it's way too naive to give town reads after a mere few posts...
Why do you think that?

I think early reads are just fine, provided you're willing to change them

It's good to be able to be fluid with your reads early on but it should all make sense
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Post by Drixx »

In post 28, boring wrote:
In post 24, Drixx wrote:I don't think anyone should get town read for posting about titles. That's such an easy way to come across as guileless. I would put very little weight in that. I'm actually kind of more interested that TWO people handed out town reads for something so insignificant.
What would that imply? And are the implications on them or on us?

Also, just to clarify, would you answer these questions as the IC, or as a player? I'm wondering where the line is, since this game naturally seems to have an element of question and answer without the presence of an IC mentor person.
Any question about game theory or things specific to how this site works (colloquially "site meta") you can direct to me, and I am obligated to answer as the IC and I'm obligated to be honest.
In post 29, Apricity wrote:A naked vote is a vote without reasoning. You'll see what we talk about as the Day goes on, but it's essentially behaviors.

Drixx, it's my first time SEing--is it alright to answer questions as an SE too or should we leave them to you?
You are welcome to answer questions and be helpful: you simply aren't bound or obligated to do so and you aren't required to play according to the Being_a_good_IC wiki article.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

I think goon is 100 posts, let's all goon it up this game

Speaking of posts I'm going to be trying to post less than I usually do as I don't want to run anyone away just with sheer quantity of posts (which happens....) and I feel like this is going to be a slower paced game (for me) anyways
Aragorn The Ranger
Aragorn The Ranger
Townie
Aragorn The Ranger
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Post by Aragorn The Ranger »

Playing my first one here
Since its and RVS,
VOTE: boring
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Post by Drixx »

In post 36, Dunnstral wrote:I think goon is 100 posts, let's all goon it up this game

Speaking of posts I'm going to be trying to post less than I usually do as I don't want to run anyone away just with sheer quantity of posts (which happens....) and I feel like this is going to be a slower paced game (for me) anyways
Don't feel like you need to censor yourself. Post as much as you like. As I said in my IC intro: an active game is a fun game. Inactivity is the death of fun in forum mafia.

I came here after playing for around a decade with a smaller playgroup that did 48 hour day phases, so it took me several months to adjust and find a good posting rate and length of posts (some of my early games are full of huge walls of text). Just do what's comfortable and adjust on your own pace.

At the end of the day, you came here to have fun. Don't feel like some nebulous "expectations" are there. Just play and have fun and you'll be doing exactly what this site is made for.
Get to know a Drixx - Recently Updated!
LazyLump
LazyLump
Townie
LazyLump
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Post by LazyLump »

This is my first game and the first time I've ever done anything with Mafia so yea NEWBIE
hayatoBL
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:43 am

Post by hayatoBL »

Well, I like the friendly vibe of this game. I seldom have such games. Which is nice really, but hopefully doesn't pulls me back from being the agressive player that I normally am. Welcome new players!

Let's see.
In post 30, boring wrote:you and Ish were excluded from the vote at that time. I mean no one had voted for you. Ish had a big "townie" under his name, so I unexcluded you.
So, the time where you casted your 1st vote, you've already realized there were titles. Then why did you choose to wait before reporting this "technical issue"?
In post 16, boring wrote:Drixx, I have a question. I'm not sure if it's a technical issue, or what, and I hope I'm not messing the game up by asking this, but I'm seeing role designations displayed between our screen names and our avatars.
If you thought there was a possibility that your question could mess up the game(thankfully it didn't), isn't it better to ask the Moderator instead of asking it publicly like you did?
In post 27, ish wrote:As Drixx said I also think it's way too naive to give town reads after a mere few posts...
This comment potentially shows that you are not reading carefully, which is strange considering how little content we have right now.

Other opinion:
I agree with Drixx that the town reads on boring and lazy was a bit naive. I believe any scum player is capable to think of those kind of questions in attempt to be "obv-Town".

Also, my vote on boring is serious-ish. Not ish the player. :lol:
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:45 am

Post by boring »

In post 40, hayatoBL wrote:Well, I like the friendly vibe of this game. I seldom have such games. Which is nice really, but hopefully doesn't pulls me back from being the agressive player that I normally am. Welcome new players!

Let's see.
In post 30, boring wrote:you and Ish were excluded from the vote at that time. I mean no one had voted for you. Ish had a big "townie" under his name, so I unexcluded you.
So, the time where you casted your 1st vote, you've already realized there were titles. Then why did you choose to wait before reporting this "technical issue"?
In post 16, boring wrote:Drixx, I have a question. I'm not sure if it's a technical issue, or what, and I hope I'm not messing the game up by asking this, but I'm seeing role designations displayed between our screen names and our avatars.
If you thought there was a possibility that your question could mess up the game(thankfully it didn't), isn't it better to ask the Moderator instead of asking it publicly like you did?
This comment potentially shows that you are not reading carefully, which is strange considering how little content we have right now.

Other opinion:
I agree with Drixx that the town reads on boring and lazy was a bit naive. I believe any scum player is capable to think of those kind of questions in attempt to be "obv-Town".

You have a good point. I should have addressed the moderator, but it wouldn't have made a difference. Since we aren't supposed to PM, it still would have to be posted here, right? I've glanced over the first page or two of other newbie threads while waiting for this game, and knew that there would be an IC popping in at some point, so I just waited to ask. In retrospect, I probably could have looked more closely and figured it out for myself. Especially since there were three Mafia Scum titles. But, hindsight is 20/20. I guess that's one of many reasons why we're given these little sandbox games -- so we don't eff things up for the more experienced players.

However, does this mean we're in the part where we can start to scrutinize people and stuff? Because I want to ask Aragon the Ranger why he's named Aragorn the Ranger and not Strider the Ranger. See, he didn't really go by Aragorn when he was off acting like a ranger, did he? At least he didn't introduce himself as such. It was either understood by those who already knew, or kept a secret. So why, Aragorn the Ranger, are you trying to confuse us? Are you Strider the Ranger, or are you Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and heir to the throne of Gondor? What say you?! :igmeou:
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:12 am

Post by boring »

Crap. We
must
be allowed to PM the Moderator, otherwise how else could we report rule violations and such? Nevermind. I should have PM'ed the Mod, and avoided risking anything in the game. Sorry.
ish
ish
Townie
ish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:57 am

Post by ish »

In post 40, hayatoBL wrote:

Other opinion:

Yeah I admitted to not reading it carefully, I guess I'm to used to the 24 hour round mafia games I have played on a different forum, generally I could get away without need to properly read everything as long as I roughly knew what was going on... :P

I'll be more thorough this time :)

People adding -ish, I get that a lot...:P
In post 42, boring wrote:Crap. We
must
be allowed to PM the Moderator, otherwise how else could we report rule violations and such? Nevermind. I should have PM'ed the Mod, and avoided risking anything in the game. Sorry.
You had to reply to PM of the moderator to confirm your role name...
hayatoBL
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
hayatoBL
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:15 am

Post by hayatoBL »

boring: I'm not really buying into your defense. I would like to see what others think about this for now. I would have been on ish's wagon if I don't think yours is better currently. What do you think about ish?
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:21 am

Post by boring »

I don't know anything about Ish yet, and I don't understand why your perception of Ish's misunderstanding is a concern. We don't come into this game as experts. Besides, I'm hardly in a position to condemn anyone for not reading/understanding things properly.

It seems a little weird, though, that you'd be saying "I'm gonna suspect you or Ish, what do you think of Ish?" Now, I may not be an expert on game mechanics yet, but that doesn't mean I can't spot someone trying to stir up drama. Why would you be trying to pit two people against each other so early on?
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:31 am

Post by boring »

In post 43, ish wrote:or to confirm your role name..
That was before the game started. I assume we could have PM'ed anyone before then, right? (I don't know anyone here so I'd have no reason to, but still). Actually, that's another question. Where are the lines drawn on PM's. Let's say I saw I was going to be in a game with someone I knew, but the game hadn't started yet. Like, it was still in the setup phase. Is that still against the rules? How about when the list has formed, but it wasn't setup yet? I'm not thinking of strategy, but maybe more like "dude, accept your role so we can get started" or whatever.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Post by SirCakez »

Votecount 1.1

boring (2) - HayatoBL, Aragorn the Ranger
HayatoBL (2) - ish, Drixx
Apricity (2) - boring, Dunnstral
LazyLump (1) - Apricity
Aragorn the Ranger (1) - LazyLump

Not voting (1) - ChipsandSalsa

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch someone.

(expired on 2016-07-04 07:05:00) remain until day end
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Post by Apricity »

I got caught out in a thunderstorm today, and that plus riding a freezing air-conditioned bus has given me a headache and a mild fever now, so my posting is going to be rather sporadic today and tomorrow =.=
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:30 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Er we're not off to a great start here in terms of activity