Newbie 2101 | Better Call Saul | Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1100 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:01 am

Post by petapan »

In post 1091, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 1086, humaneatingmonkey wrote:I think this queue is officially dead. Changes should come soon or this site will follow.
yeah they need to just combine it with central park and mayfair club and only run newbie level games when there are actual newbies that join and need/want a low impact game to learn.

The road to central park and the Mayfair Club
yeah the pipeline of new users just isn't strong enough now to justify it
In post 1093, furtiveglance wrote:
In post 1091, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 1086, humaneatingmonkey wrote:I think this queue is officially dead. Changes should come soon or this site will follow.
yeah they need to just combine it with central park and mayfair club and only run newbie level games when there are actual newbies that join and need/want a low impact game to learn.

The road to central park and the Mayfair Club
I probably won't play a Newbie game soon. It's partly the NewD3 setup I'm getting a bit tired of. Seems that PR actions/claiming/getting smoked N1 are almost more important than people's reads and what the game should actually be about. Thanks for carrying the modding HEM.
In post 1095, Bellaphant wrote:There is a chat in site stuff I think about the queues, I think there was a decent suggestion. I personally think that there isn't enough difference in a newbie now to make it worthwhile (I'm old, my first newbies didn't have day chat and mason newbies is just....wild.)
i like the comfort of playing a reliable semi-open but i think the queue has somewhat outlived its purpose tbh

i honestly wonder whether shoehorning new players into a very dry open setup has proved counterproductive to new player retention in the long run, i suspect a lot of new players are put off by how boring it is. i kind of think one of the best parts of forum mafia is getting to play creative setups that do something interesting in terms of mechanics/flavor and you don't really get that with this setup. i have tried to be encouraging in games but i'm not great at it and i kind of suck at outreach.

attitude historically was that new players needed to "learn the ropes" before diving into the deep end but for the most part when new players actually show up these days they're reasonably well versed in social deduction usually and rarely need to be sequestered to a kiddie pool end of the site. might be better off just having them experience more typical games with closed setups and unknown roles

haven't touched the meta threads in site suggestions because i kind of dislike the posting that goes on in those and not sure it actually gets read by site staff but i might chime in there

(i do like the queue existing as a sneaky way to figure out who's a real newbie versus an alt, but lol)
free crypto
Rad
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #1101 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:31 am

Post by Rad »

Since we're on the topic and I'm still technically a newbie, I think the biggest off-putting thing for me w/regards to wanting to stick around and play more is the length of the games. When I'm in a game I want to be super active but when a day is 7+ days long and a night is 2+ long, there's a ton of boring downtime and the game becomes stagnant. I tried to fill that by playing multiple games at once but what happens is activity requirements then spike too high during busy times and still crash into nothing other times. Shorter day and night would emphasize "this is the time to play" I think and make games more active in general because you're committing to a smaller amount of time. You can't expect people to commit to consistent heavy activity for the next month and that's what these day lengths require for the game to be consistently interesting.

Beyond that, I've also never gotten a PR so that's been fairly boring. This newbie setup feels weighted against scum and that makes scum even less interesting to play. 3rd party could also spice things up.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1102 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:20 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

I think about the activity thing that 13 players is generally the right place to go for consistant activity, but I with the newbie queue as it is I don't think it would be wise to change up the setup that way. I suppose I can just suggest looking into other queues if you don't like how the pacing is for micros
Imprefection is the spice of life.
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1103 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:09 am

Post by furtiveglance »

In post 1102, MegAzumarill wrote:I think about the activity thing that 13 players is generally the right place to go for consistant activity, but I with the newbie queue as it is I don't think it would be wise to change up the setup that way. I suppose I can just suggest looking into other queues if you don't like how the pacing is for micros
If other people also like 13 player games, I have one in the Open Queue haha.
Cat Scratch Fever
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1104 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:15 am

Post by Cat Scratch Fever »

In post 1067, Cat Scratch Fever wrote:Mason PT
Mafia PT

I don't have mod permissions over the Dead PT, but it was only 2 pages long
Both released now
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1105 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:38 am

Post by petapan »

In post 1101, Rad wrote:Since we're on the topic and I'm still technically a newbie, I think the biggest off-putting thing for me w/regards to wanting to stick around and play more is the length of the games. When I'm in a game I want to be super active but when a day is 7+ days long and a night is 2+ long, there's a ton of boring downtime and the game becomes stagnant. I tried to fill that by playing multiple games at once but what happens is activity requirements then spike too high during busy times and still crash into nothing other times. Shorter day and night would emphasize "this is the time to play" I think and make games more active in general because you're committing to a smaller amount of time. You can't expect people to commit to consistent heavy activity for the next month and that's what these day lengths require for the game to be consistently interesting.

Beyond that, I've also never gotten a PR so that's been fairly boring. This newbie setup feels weighted against scum and that makes scum even less interesting to play. 3rd party could also spice things up.
i hate to even say this because it increases the likelihood you'll flee us at the first available opportunity but the phase lengths here are abnormal to most other forums - probably a byproduct of the site's age and the mentality of doing things like we always have. for me personally i greatly prefer it - as an adult with a day job, the daily time commitment expected in most places is unrealistic and insane. here i can check in once a day for an hour or two which is a reasonable time investment (of course i'm slacking off to post during the day now, but no matter). i recognize though that ain't for everyone and the way people use the internet now is vastly different from how it was even 10 years ago

it's historically been very hard to get games with shorter deadlines to fill here and when they do people often slack off abnormally hard in them (somehow they post less frequently than in a normal length game) so i don't anticipate site meta shifting to accommodate that. there was an attempt at a blitz queue several years ago but it got killed off pretty quickly.
free crypto
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1106 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:29 am

Post by FancyPants »

For what it's worth @Peta I thought you were an excellent townie this game and you being NKed was a well deserved compliment. Reminded me of strong town ICs from back in the old days.

Furtive your town record may be bad but you were either unlucky or have improved loads as you were great this game.

Good performance by Rad as I've come to expect hope to play with you again soon (although for my sake I hope we both roll town when you do.)

Scum weren't even bad this game Bella did a good job as did corwinoid, in some ways you were unlucky that the PoEs were good and neither of you could take full responsibility for your slot. If I have one criticism that I don't even have any right to make - in many newbie games town tunnel each other and taking a more passive role works well but I don't think this was one of those games FG and Rad were too in control and I think you needed to go harder on someone that Rad and FG could have gotten behind (Roden or Meg maybe) going for my slot wasn't going to work because the town leaders largely town read me. I'm shit at scum so take this with a large pinch of salt. I don't really know what I'm talking about.

As for the rest of town including my replacement you all had good reads and did enough to be town read and make the PoE easy this game.

Well played all.
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1107 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:34 am

Post by furtiveglance »

One thing I noticed is that Esires called Meg a PR read early on, but mafia still went for Petapan despite a VT read there. I often find early PR reads are correct, and I still regret not smoking Asphodelus in 2093.
Rad
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #1108 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:06 am

Post by Rad »

In post 1105, petapan wrote:
In post 1101, Rad wrote:Since we're on the topic and I'm still technically a newbie, I think the biggest off-putting thing for me w/regards to wanting to stick around and play more is the length of the games. When I'm in a game I want to be super active but when a day is 7+ days long and a night is 2+ long, there's a ton of boring downtime and the game becomes stagnant. I tried to fill that by playing multiple games at once but what happens is activity requirements then spike too high during busy times and still crash into nothing other times. Shorter day and night would emphasize "this is the time to play" I think and make games more active in general because you're committing to a smaller amount of time. You can't expect people to commit to consistent heavy activity for the next month and that's what these day lengths require for the game to be consistently interesting.

i hate to even say this because it increases the likelihood you'll flee us at the first available opportunity but the phase lengths here are abnormal to most other forums - probably a byproduct of the site's age and the mentality of doing things like we always have. for me personally i greatly prefer it - as an adult with a day job, the daily time commitment expected in most places is unrealistic and insane. here i can check in once a day for an hour or two which is a reasonable time investment (of course i'm slacking off to post during the day now, but no matter). i recognize though that ain't for everyone and the way people use the internet now is vastly different from how it was even 10 years ago

it's historically been very hard to get games with shorter deadlines to fill here and when they do people often slack off abnormally hard in them (somehow they post less frequently than in a normal length game) so i don't anticipate site meta shifting to accommodate that. there was an attempt at a blitz queue several years ago but it got killed off pretty quickly.
Yeah I hear ya peta. It's just much easier to commit to a week of doing only mafia at night than a whole month (or more for large!). Maybe if I was more restrictive with when I let myself play and was able to not have it in the back of my mind all day I would like the length better :shifty: and I like this community so was just looking for a way to make it work.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1109 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:09 am

Post by Nero Cain »

the longest large I was in took 7 months
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Corwinoid
Corwinoid
Goon
Corwinoid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1110 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:41 pm

Post by Corwinoid »

In post 1108, Rad wrote:
In post 1105, petapan wrote:

Yeah I hear ya peta. It's just much easier to commit to a week of doing only mafia at night than a whole month (or more for large!). Maybe if I was more restrictive with when I let myself play and was able to not have it in the back of my mind all day I would like the length better :shifty: and I like this community so was just looking for a way to make it work.
The regular minis don't feel that long to me, honestly. I think you'll enjoy the closed minis a lot more -- the large you're familiar with is not the norm for most of the site, and I, personally, treat them more as events when I choose to do them rather than expecting it's the regular way I'm going to play.
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1111 (ISO) » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:28 pm

Post by BS2000 »

Oh man it was esires! Will have to reread this whole game sometime. Sorry for subbing out, just kinda lost interest and forum mafia is exhausting lol
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #1112 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:59 am