Newbie 1899 | Stuff I found online VI | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mohab500
Mohab500
She/Her
Goon
Mohab500
She/Her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #975 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Post by Mohab500 »

Guys, I've been meaning to ask, what exactly is wolfing? Nothing useful pops up when searching it.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #976 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Post by Auro »

Open Wolfing, like painting yourself as scum intentionally.
Basically half your game.
DVa
DVa
Mafia Scum
DVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #977 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Post by DVa »

I don't see "optimal" as the question tho. I think Cleric felt desperate from my push and wanted to save himself with the claim. The way he does that is with a pocketed inno on town. He needed votes that were not on him, and he probably hoped that the town he had innod would not vote him. Like, of course it is possible that scum claim an inno on their buddy, but as their *only result when they are being pushed*? Cleric wasn't really playing optimally, he basically said nothing toward 0ver and seemed to be shading him but then still listed him as a "4" which made no sense other than as an excuse to keep him higher on the lynch priority before 5-way.
DVa
DVa
Mafia Scum
DVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #978 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Post by DVa »

A "wolf" is a scum player.

"Open wolfing" is openly propagating a scum agenda -- never bussing, pushing wagons on town, speed-hammering, preventing discussion, refusing to commit to reads you don't want to, etc.

"Deep wolfing" is actually a convoluted term that means different things to different people, but for me is the scum who is trying to go unnoticed. Others might conflate a deep wolf with someone who is trying to come off as a town powergamer tho.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #979 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Post by Auro »

I mean Cleric pocketing an inno on town is no reason for the inno not to vote him.
What do you mean, *only result*? That's just one night, right?

Cleric and 0ver seemed to be playing completely independent and uncoordinated.
Wonder what the scum thread looks like.
Mohab500
Mohab500
She/Her
Goon
Mohab500
She/Her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #980 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Post by Mohab500 »

What if I told you there was a halfassed reason I hammered Muh? Halfassed, but kinda a reason, still.
DVa
DVa
Mafia Scum
DVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #981 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Post by DVa »

In post 978, DVa wrote:"Open wolfing" is openly propagating a scum agenda -- never bussing, pushing wagons on town, speed-hammering, preventing discussion, refusing to commit to reads you don't want to, etc.
Actually I'm not even sure I'd include the "never bussing" bit for open wolfing, the people I most think of as open wolves actually bus quite hard, but usually very early.

Pedit: sure! I thought it was because you planned to soft a tpr claim in d2
0verki11
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/he

Post Post #982 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Post by 0verki11 »

In post 979, Auro wrote:I mean Cleric pocketing an inno on town is no reason for the inno not to vote him.
What do you mean, *only result*? That's just one night, right?

Cleric and 0ver seemed to be playing completely independent and uncoordinated.
Wonder what the scum thread looks like.
Actually independant scum is better due to leaving no assocations.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #983 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Post by Auro »

@DVa: I don't think bussing is a reliable tell tho, the more frequently people assume scum bus, the more they'd tend to break and buddy the next time.

Softing a TPR claim is anti-town tho >.>
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #984 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 982, 0verki11 wrote:Actually independant scum is better due to leaving no assocations.
Disagree lol, especially when town's working together
DVa
DVa
Mafia Scum
DVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #985 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Post by DVa »

In post 980, Mohab500 wrote:What if I told you there was a halfassed reason I hammered Muh? Halfassed, but kinda a reason, still.
Are you actually going to say what this reason was? LOL :P
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #986 (ISO) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 985, DVa wrote:
In post 980, Mohab500 wrote:What if I told you there was a halfassed reason I hammered Muh? Halfassed, but kinda a reason, still.
Are you actually going to say what this reason was? LOL :P
"Scum would've wanted me ML'd D2 and would've wagoned on" is my best guess.
:P
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #987 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:23 am

Post by nonny »

Auro: to answer question from dead thread I didn’t want to end the day by voting Veridian until Irrelephant post because I was still unclear on my read on him and didn’t want to go into day 3 without a susbstantal post from him. Also based on his post it could make everything more clear. I’m still working on having confidence in my reads and committing to votes. Which is also why I made myself stick to the hammer self deadline. So literally what I told you during game :wink: My D3 defense is some of the best work I’ve done too which is why I was getting to frustrated.

Pocketing an innocent is a good strategy and I was already hesitant to join that wagon due to how it formed so obviously that’s why he picked me. But him picking me as and actual TPR pinged me as not making sense the more I thought about it. Neo’s just know if you are vanilla, neos should pick someone that is a townread to confirm, picking a null or scumread still doesn’t give you a guilty because other PRs, he would know after Ariane was dead but approaching N1 he wouldn’t know the TPR was going to die, so I would have been a bad choice based on his reads at that point.

Really I just did suspect Veridian at start of D2 and that was my own bad read. I thought he vote on me d1 was strange and just over bad wording, in hindsight see he used the typo to his advantage to look like he pushed somewhere.

Also we did have the all town wagon D1 that made things harder to sort, funny because before I vote I even commented that everyone on wagon I’m townreading and was suspicious of the wagon :facepalm:
Randomly I have a like 7 out of 10 streak of picking scum in RVS lol

Overall good game, I would not have wanted to be in your shoes DVa. Thanks for mod Plot all the flavor was amazing!
*insert bad joke here*
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #988 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:26 am

Post by nonny »

Should say I didn’t suspect Veridian. So many typos from mobile, sorry.
*insert bad joke here*
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #989 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:33 am

Post by Auro »

Ahh, it does make sense. FMPOV you were shutting off discussion and making up a reason for it later. xD
Your D3 defence was great, I think except for 771, but yeah - I was casing you based on D2 play + his D1 "bussing" vote, so I just thought you were really good scum. ;)

Should've figured the pocketing -- He was very hard-pocketing me as well, your reasoning for why he'd want to pocket you (for defending him) checks out. Although I think that'll also apply for scum defending him though. In theory, he did pick someone who was townread (you), just not perfectly by him. So I think that was a fair fake-pick. I think his 'crumb' was good too.

The all-town wagon's 13% usually but in this case that scummy 0verki11 wasn't voting anywhere, he just active-lurked in a way. Next time we're in a game remind me to make sure everyone has a vote somewhere! :P

Veridian did a good job being generally townread, if he hadn't made that slip I think his wagon would've disbanded D2 into Mohab. Probs a bit harder to win from there.

+1 On the modding, really cool. And the flavor. A huuuuge hug to the playerbase, no one replacing and quick nights :')
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #990 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:40 am

Post by nonny »

Didn’t even think about it till Plot said it, super cool to have no replacements

My goal was not to defend him, I just didn’t like how the wagon started and felt the case was weak. I kept waiting for him to make his own case and got frustrated when he didn’t. At that point I reassessed his slot. His hesitant play could have been from TPR and that’s what threw me. But Mohab was just always back of my head more suspicious.
*insert bad joke here*
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #991 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:42 am

Post by Auro »

Mohab's open wolfing made this game a LOT harder than it should've been IMO.
If he hadn't done that, you wouldn't have had all that confusion in D2.
I wouldn't have tinfoiled into "She doesn't want to vote Cleric but instantly sheeps onto Mohab" arguments.
I would've still caught Cleric's slip.
Would've PoE'd 0ver because I was townreading you back then. Much easier!

Veridian made a post that wrongly quoted yours, making it look like his. I was liking it a lot till DVa pointed out it was a misquote xD
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #992 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:44 am

Post by Auro »

Why would TPRs be hesitant tho? Like I feel they'd always be a tad more aggressive.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #993 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:44 am

Post by Auro »

I mean when they're outed.
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #994 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:48 am

Post by nonny »

No, I read his D1 play as hesitant to not make waves.
*insert bad joke here*
VeridianCleric
VeridianCleric
Goon
VeridianCleric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #995 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:48 am

Post by VeridianCleric »

i figured a VT claim would get me no where, my push on Nonny D1 and a claim to say i passed him would line up and I would be able to work that better.

unfortunately the time DvA pushed was also the same day my mother-in law passed away, so we've been a bit busy dealing with that since than and I wasn't really able to articulate much.

also as a result I got pretty pissed with DvA's rediculas comments about long times between posts when I was dealing with the death, felt it was pretty inconsiderate considering, however to be fair you didn't know so won't hold it against you.

the scum forum was pretty much non-existent lol

All in all good game, I would look forward to playing with most of you again in the future.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #996 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:59 am

Post by Auro »

Aww Veridian, there seems to be a lot going on! You did a good job, and yay my prediction that scum had zero communication was right xD like the complete lack of an agenda was pinging me crazy. Great call on pocketing Nonny and nice attempt at pocketing me :P

DVa's case on you was based on what you'd already posted tho, not primarily activity levels.

I liked this playerbase, definitely looking forward with y'all again too.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #997 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:07 am

Post by Plotinus »

The Mafia PT has been released!
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
VeridianCleric
VeridianCleric
Goon
VeridianCleric
Goon
Goon

Post Post #998 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:11 am

Post by VeridianCleric »

Have to agree, the player base was good, and DvA God help me I hope I'm never scum with you in a game again, no offence, you read into things TOO damn well.

I'm working on a couple games and hoping to mod one in the future, not sure on this site, are you allowed to send direct PM invites to join a game. I think you all would have a good time with it LMAO

I agree with all though, the Mohab's play helped us as scum a lot ;) i wish i had the chance to push it a little harder, i fully missed your soft claim which i think was my undoing TBH, just hit at the wrong time.

@Auro you have NO idea, there's 12 of us in this house which accounts for
myself and my fiancee
my two step daughters
my three children from previous marriage
one together
4 hockey billets, 1 each from Finland, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland
And on top of all that my mother-in-laws health and passing, the fact we just learned we are again pregnant and I work full time and doing my School for MBA full time.

busy is understatement
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #999 (ISO) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:35 am

Post by nonny »

I also assumed no coordination between scum which I’m glad was confirmed. Was kind of what lead Auro to push me because it looked like we coordinated from outside perspective.
*insert bad joke here*

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”