Newbie 1903 | Stuff I Found Online Vii | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
0verki11
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/he

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:30 am

Post by 0verki11 »

In post 24, LCpl Jones wrote:
In post 11, Thespio wrote:VOTE: Jones because didn't use an emote :dead:
But I did :(

Where did I not?

@teacher, are two votes even concerning at this stage? I agree maybe L-2 or -1 is but why does this look like possible scum weak wagon building to you?
Why are you defending yourself against a RvS vote??
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:33 am

Post by Thespio »

Where did I not?

@teacher, are two votes even concerning at this stage? I agree maybe L-2 or -1 is but why does this look like possible scum weak wagon building to you?
Mistakes were made, and now I have to commit :p my iphones chrome browser didnt show it on topic review.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 24, LCpl Jones wrote:@teacher, are two votes even concerning at this stage? I agree maybe L-2 or -1 is but why does this look like possible scum weak wagon building to you?
No. In fact I like RVS wagons, because the pressure can be AI (alignment indicative). I actually think that post was mostly NAI (not ....), and I think the same about most individual posts. I get most of my reads out of a mass of posts, to build a sense of the person making them and their thought process, and then seeing if anything in that ISO (hence the iso link in each post - clicking it will let you see all posts by that one player in the entire thread) sticks out as being inconsistent with the personality and thought process.

That said, I did give it slight slight scum points for being a very early second vote without any reasons OR a joke - one that could be explained easily as RVS but also grabs an earlier/explainable place on a possible wagon.

I’m finding an IC to be a bit of a challenging role, especially in this relatively quiet game. I’m normally a reaction player rather than one fostering discussion, but I feel an obligation to foster here. Hence the comment on something I wouldn’t ordinarily have commented upon. Nothing at all is >rand yet for me (this is a common expression on MS to explain confidence level in reads. Right now, from uniformed town perspective, all slots are 6/8, or 75% likely to be town. If I think someone is more than 25% likely to be scum, say 50%, I’d say rand+25 — a really strong read).
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:47 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 21, RCEnigma wrote:VOTE: Snowbeast

The case is actually good too.
You convinced me.

VOTE: snowbeast.

Thanks for replacing and welcome.
0verki11
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/he

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Post by 0verki11 »

We need to be a little more active guys. We wont get anywhere otherwise.
naturalbreadcrumbs
naturalbreadcrumbs
Townie
naturalbreadcrumbs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Post by naturalbreadcrumbs »

Hey guys! Sorry I'm late to the thread, sucks that I missed some (admittedly not much) stuff, but it is what it is.
In post 14, teacher wrote:Discussing jumping questions for the board an to provide info for true newbs. All slots kindly answer.

1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
1. Only RL Mafia, this is my first online game. I loved the concept as soon as it was described to me, and so here I am!

2. Usually I'm pretty talkative, I used to be quiet until I realized that the ones leading the conversation seem to be having the most fun with the game, and plus talking's really the only thing Townies can do besides voting, so there's little point in wasting your voice, right?

3. Honestly, I have a terrible track record as scum, and people get me pretty early on. Thank god I haven't played that many games (and the ones I play are usually with different groups of people) or else the reputation would have followed me. I personally think it's just because I have a bad case of stage fright, and when someone accuses me I break pretty easily. I'm hoping online Mafia will give me an easier time if I'm scum, since I'm not face-to-face with people (although honestly the face-to-face thing something I really appreciate about RL Mafia over online Mafia, I'm just bad at it)

4. I don't know about online, but I think in RL Mafia there's two types of scum players. There's the ones like me that get anxious and don't talk because of the anxiety, which gives us away and our case falls apart as soon as we're noticed and put in the spotlight. Then there's the ones with no social anxiety and a lot of confidence - they go ballsy and get up there into the spotlight. I honestly wouldn't know how to distinguish these players from Town players. I'm hoping to learn how at some point!

Okay, on to game stuff.
LCpl Jones wrote:hiiiiii

first!

VOTE: naturalbreadcrumbs

I don't like breadcrumbs, they get stuck in my throat and make me cough :lol:
Hey man, look at my name! I'm all-natural breadcrumbs. And as we all know, anything that's natural is good for your body, unlike those nasty "chemicals" or whatsits those damn eggheads always go on about :P
RCEnigma wrote:I was going to wait until everyone checked in to really start playing but it's not often you get solid page 1 reads and I've found scum

VOTE: Snowbeast

LCpl Jones wrote:@rcenigma

care to share?
I'm curious too, though maybe it's just because snowbeast doesn't have that much in his post? It does stand in contrast to the other posts in that way.
0verki11 wrote:We need to be a little more active guys. We wont get anywhere otherwise.
Active does get us places faster, but I mean day 1
does
last for 10 days.
teacher wrote:

You convinced me.

Haha, that's one hell of a welcome!

I feel like we should wait for snowbeast to react to the votes before we do something else, like putting more pressure on him/her to get another reaction or pressuring someone else. I know what I just said amounts to "wait and see", but it's very possible that the person just doesn't come on to mafiascum all that often, and maybe didn't expect games to be so active so early (personally, I thought two pages for day 1 was pretty active, I didn't think it would be considered quiet). It's probably more useful for him/her to come back with two votes on his/her back instead of being immediately at L-2 or even L-1 (probably not gonna happen unless we're really impatient to get day 1 over with); we can always pressure him/her more later - this way we have more options to provoke more reactions over time.

I figure I'm going to not vote because that's probably going to just distract from the attention on snowbeast right now.

Other things to note: Roo and Lyoko haven't posted yet (though Lyoko replaced someone, so I guess that's not too strange yet). Otherwise, I'm not really getting anything from anyone.
Roo
Roo
Goon
Roo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Post by Roo »

In post 29, 0verki11 wrote:We need to be a little more active guys. We wont get anywhere otherwise.
Sounds like a good idea

VOTE: 0verki11
snowbeast
snowbeast
Townie
snowbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Post by snowbeast »

In post 21, RCEnigma wrote:I was going to wait until everyone checked in to really start playing but it's not often you get solid page 1 reads and I've found scum

I get subbed in. Post 4 brief lines relating to my previous (in)experience and you get a strong read.

You are either trying to get a reaction out of me for fun or are mafia taking advantage of the fact I've only played one day of mafia.

I'd love to see your case
Roo
Roo
Goon
Roo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Post by Roo »

In post 30, naturalbreadcrumbs wrote:
Other things to note: Roo and Lyoko haven't posted yet
You should follow the trail of breadcrumbs to
naturalbreadcrumbs
naturalbreadcrumbs
Townie
naturalbreadcrumbs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm

In post 33, Roo wrote:
Oh wow, my bad, that's pretty embarrassing. Just Lyoko then. Also nice pun :lol: I'm glad I chose this username now
snowbeast wrote:
In post 21, RCEnigma wrote:I was going to wait until everyone checked in to really start playing but it's not often you get solid page 1 reads and I've found scum

I get subbed in. Post 4 brief lines relating to my previous (in)experience and you get a strong read.

You are either trying to get a reaction out of me for fun or are mafia taking advantage of the fact I've only played one day of mafia.

I mean it does seem weird to me too for it to be a strong read off of one post, but I don't think the case itself is that far-fetched. You
are
the only one to have one-liners for all of your posts, which is kind of anomalous.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Post by teacher »

Natural-FYI it is “custom” to have an avi here as a way of “facial recognition”. If you are not graphically inclined I can search up some croutons.
naturalbreadcrumbs
naturalbreadcrumbs
Townie
naturalbreadcrumbs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:24 pm

@teacher - sorry about that, and thanks for the offer. I got one now, I think it's pretty appropriate. :)

Also, can you please explain what you're thinking about with snowbeast? You were convinced, after all.
snowbeast
snowbeast
Townie
snowbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Post by snowbeast »

In post 34, naturalbreadcrumbs wrote:
In post 33, Roo wrote:
Oh wow, my bad, that's pretty embarrassing. Just Lyoko then. Also nice pun :lol: I'm glad I chose this username now
snowbeast wrote:

I mean it does seem weird to me too for it to be a strong read off of one post,
but I don't think the case itself is that far-fetched. You
are
the only one to have one-liners for all of your posts, which is kind of anomalous
HAHA, fair enough, it is partially who I am and it was between 9 and 10pm in South Africa when I got the e-mail to say I was in.
I had literally just shut the xbox down and was making the kids bottles when I got the e-mail.
I must say I am also looking forward to this concrete evidence from after just 4 lines.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.01

Someone I know recently linked this pot roast recipe as an example of a really well written recipe that doesn't ask you to do anything too hard at any of the steps. I wanted to try it out today with pork instead of beef but then yesterday at the store they didn't have any big chunks of meat, only sliced meats for making pork shoulder steaks so maybe I'll go to a different store next week.

LynchingWith 9 votes in play, it takes 5 to lynch.

snowbeast
(2): RCEnigma, teacher
0verki11
(1): Roo
LCpl Jones
(1): Thespio
naturalbreadcrumbs
(1): LCpl Jones

Not Voting
(4): 0verki11, KidLyoko, snowbeast, naturalbreadcrumbs

Deadline:
(expired on 2018-12-09 08:45:00).

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

KidLyoko another (expired on 2018-12-01 20:10:00) to confirm before they will be replaced.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
RCEnigma
RCEnigma
Survivor
RCEnigma
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Post by RCEnigma »

So a few things of note so far:
Teacher and I are on the same wavelength at the moment. I don't see him pocketing an SE over a newbie but I'm not convinced in that. I will keep an eye on it.
Breadcrumb trying to pile on while pointing out he doesn't want L-1 yet pings me, it's fencesitting. I haven't even given my read yet.
Roo is a townread at this point, I'll lean Teacher town for what he did page 1 which I'll explain in my case.
RCEnigma
RCEnigma
Survivor
RCEnigma
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:32 pm

Post by RCEnigma »

In post 20, snowbeast wrote:
In post 14, teacher wrote:Discussing jumping questions for the board an to provide info for true newbs. All slots kindly answer.

1. 1 game - lynched day 1 as doc
2. To win
3. To win
4. Not keeping a straight story
Ok so your experience does come into play but not because you would be an easy push, I have no problem pushing on the IC as either alignment. If you would like to look over newbie games where I've done so I don't mind linking them.

Now initially I didn't like the particular questions Teacher posed.
A.) It could easily be a gauge of what players are looking for in particular when scumhunting in order to avoid certain tells.
B.) Scum don't have to put any effort into answering any of these because each question is objective. All in all nothing alignment indicative.

It's also busy work but that's either alignment as well. However it does generate content so, fine. I wasn't going to answer them initially but I figured I could work with it, I have a feeling Teacher was looking for something in particular with his choice of questions.

Snowbeast stuck out for his answers not being short but being awkward. I purposefully put forth jokish answers to the middle questions and light effort in the last. At the very least to convey what my mindset will and should be.

Roo followed up in much of the same way but it felt genuine, his last answer showed he was putting thoughts into his answers despite the jokes.

Snowbeast comes in with a very awkward repeat of Roo's post and a lackluster response to the last question which didn't give the town impression I was looking for when compared to the rest of the slots answers.

In short it comes off as scum just trying to fit in at a time when it should be the easiest. I would especially expect a brand new player to try and stay within certain parameters and take hints from the players around them so the lack of effort seems more like mafia that doesn't have a feel for how they want to be viewed and read rather than a newbie putting off a town vibe.

The fact that you were mislynches as pr in your first game is also interesting. I would expect more of an effort to convey town in order to avoid being misread and mislynched again.

With the way slots have acted around my case claim I could easily see breadcrumb attempting to distance here.

Snow you are rather calm and sure you haven't leaked any information. I will absolutely attempt to bury any slot I feel is scum.
snowbeast
snowbeast
Townie
snowbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Post by snowbeast »

Fair enough and if anything I gained from your answer in terms of trying to fit in and put an effort in etc. thank you.
snowbeast
snowbeast
Townie
snowbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:36 pm

Post by snowbeast »

I am not too sure how I would defend myself for writing in point form.
I guess I should learn to use more words etc.
I've never really liked people who talk to much - like this morning I gave a friends wife a lift to work. She blabbered non stop. By the time we got into town (I live on a small holding 30mins away from town) we had not finished a very basic conversation.

Words are the truths best disguise
LCpl Jones
LCpl Jones
Goon
LCpl Jones
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 pm

Post by LCpl Jones »

In post 25, 0verki11 wrote:

Where did I not?

Why are you defending yourself against a RvS vote??
Why should I not?
LCpl Jones
LCpl Jones
Goon
LCpl Jones
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:22 pm

Post by LCpl Jones »

In post 28, teacher wrote:

You convinced me.

I don't really like this vote. Let us just say...
I did give it slight slight scum points for being a very early second vote without any reasons OR a joke - one that could be explained easily as RVS but also grabs an earlier/explainable place on a possible wagon.
:P
LCpl Jones
LCpl Jones
Goon
LCpl Jones
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:26 pm

Post by LCpl Jones »

LCpl Jones wrote:hiiiiii

first!

VOTE: naturalbreadcrumbs

I don't like breadcrumbs, they get stuck in my throat and make me cough :lol:
Hey man, look at my name! I'm all-natural breadcrumbs. And as we all know, anything that's natural is good for your body, unlike those nasty "chemicals" or whatsits those damn eggheads always go on about :P
That's good - all organic I hope? :P
UNVOTE:
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:30 pm

Post by teacher »

And Jonesy wins the town prize. I disappeared rather than answer because I didn’t want to say I made up a post doing exactly what I described to see if anyone caught the inconsistency.

@RCE, I like your style and thoughts. Such was indeed the purpose of having the questions, and the mix of them. It also has an alternate purpose to provide newbs the benefit of some thoughts on how to hunt - I often find the response or lack of response to 4 the most telling. I used it to bag a scum page one the last time they were used too. That said, I wish you had held off on the case for a bit until all slots had answered so that the incomings won’t see behind the screen as it were.

@snowbeast: I’m among the wordiest players in the games I play. I feel like RCE might be up there too, but haven’t played with him (sorry btw) before. Shorter posts tend to be more common than not, and that’s certainly true outside the newb queue even more.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:34 pm

Post by teacher »

note that saying nothing or timing what you say can be important to any alignment - you can plant actions on purpose and use the finding of them to try to identify people who are really reading/analyzing/thinking versus those who already know the answers. Note also that linking post numbers - [ post ] ### [ /post ] without spaces - is a common courtesy if you’re going to discuss a specific post without quotes so that the reader can decide if you’re being accurate or fully responsive. Now off to school
LCpl Jones
LCpl Jones
Goon
LCpl Jones
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 pm

Post by LCpl Jones »

In post 40, RCEnigma wrote:
In post 20, snowbeast wrote:

1. 1 game - lynched day 1 as doc
2. To win
3. To win
4. Not keeping a straight story
Ok so your experience does come into play but not because you would be an easy push, I have no problem pushing on the IC as either alignment. If you would like to look over newbie games where I've done so I don't mind linking them.

Now initially I didn't like the particular questions Teacher posed.
A.) It could easily be a gauge of what players are looking for in particular when scumhunting in order to avoid certain tells.
B.) Scum don't have to put any effort into answering any of these because each question is objective. All in all nothing alignment indicative.

It's also busy work but that's either alignment as well. However it does generate content so, fine. I wasn't going to answer them initially but I figured I could work with it, I have a feeling Teacher was looking for something in particular with his choice of questions.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. My thing with those questions:- it allows people to use self-meta without openly doing it. Like, natural says he is very talkative as town and comes in being very talkative. Also, those questions don't really get anywhere AI that I can see - I think they benefit scum more than town.

I'm not seeing why you townread Teacher based on that though?

This is a serious vote based on reasons expressed in this post and his vote on snowread

VOTE: Teacher

pediatric, and now when you're called out on it, it's something you were doing to see if anyone caught on to it? I'm not buying that, sorry. Your posts also reads to me as scum trying to pocket me ('wins the town prize').

[1]pocketing - when scum reads someone as town to psychologically look town to that person. That's how I understand it, sorry if it's wrong ;)
naturalbreadcrumbs
naturalbreadcrumbs
Townie
naturalbreadcrumbs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 am

@Enigma

I am sitting on the fence, you're right, but it's not to distance. You and teacher seemed to have made the first absolutely serious votes in the game, and you guys are SE and IC respectively, so I figured you probably had a case of some sort. Putting pressure on someone is, I think, the best way day 1 to get a further read on them, so I figured getting on the wagon was a good idea, so snowbeast can't ignore it.

But I also thought that it seemed ridiculous to get a strong read when snow had only made one post, so I wanted to say that we should wait for snow to react before really pinning him/her as scum.

And after reading your post, I'm more convinced. You make a good point - snow's answers are pretty awkward. But it still seems a little overconfident to already pin snow as scum.

A final thing - I'm not sure why you're saying that you and teacher are on the same wavelength. All teacher did was say "I'm convinced" and vote for snow as well, without explaining why they're convinced, and they still haven't.

@snow - Why did you copy Roo's answers to two and three? Can you share more of your thoughts on the game so far?

On other notes:
Lyoko's still not posting, though it looks like they might just be not active.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”