Newbie 1908 [Game Over]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Komodo
Komodo
Townie
Komodo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Post by Komodo »

In post 166, Nauci wrote:
In post 162, Komodo wrote:I like Munch so far but this post makes me lose confidence in her as town
Regardless if you agree or disagree with her analysis

Do you think it is town motivated or scum motivated?
In post 195, xwing wrote:take care on your way home..
it's Friday my time and off work soon so will read up later.. :)

@komodo: what does your read list look like now?
I see this and will address this tomorrow
Komodo
Komodo
Townie
Komodo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:18 pm

Post by Komodo »

I'm having like a sensory overload thing tonight even though I wanted to read up. I have things to say but can't articulate well rn. It's crunch time so hopefully I'll be better rested tomorrow to articulate in a way that's not stupid.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

We have the four on wagon, plus xwing and Munch willing to give intent to hammer.

That is 6 of the 9. Take out Jim since being the wagon, that only leaves Komodo and myself.

I feel if Jim is scum, scum is closer to the end of the wagon/in the intents.

If Jim is town, then I like to think both scum are in that 6, either way, I feel that makes Komodo town.

I feel that because Jim happened kind of out of nowhere, that Jim is more likely town than scum.

However, @Jim, it’s time for you to claim, bud.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Post by Nauci »

In post 196, Munchmellow wrote:btw, how do you link to a post, so you don't have to quote the whole thing?
You can use the in this case). Or you can use [post=######] where ###### is the site wide post number. You can pull this out of the URL of the post by clicking on the local number. The url will say something like viewtopic.php?[b]p=10631666[/b]#p10631666. This is super useful if you're linking to a post from a different game (like when posting meta content).

Also, if you are quoting from another thread, if you hit the MSG button on a post to send a PM to the person who wrote the post, it will auto generate not only a quote of the post, but a link to the game it was in. I frequently use this just to copy and paste that generated content, like if I want to pre-write a post but it's locked during night time and I can't otherwise quote, or if I'm quoting from a different thread and want to make it obvious where it came from.

Example:

Subject: Newbie 1908 [Day 1]
Flavor Leaf wrote:We have the four on wagon, plus xwing and Munch willing to give intent to hammer.

That is 6 of the 9. Take out Jim since being the wagon, that only leaves Komodo and myself.

If Jim is town, then I like to think both scum are in that 6, either way, I feel that makes Komodo town.

I feel that because Jim happened kind of out of nowhere, that Jim is more likely town than scum.

Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Post by Nauci »

In post 202, Flavor Leaf wrote:We have the four on wagon, plus xwing and Munch willing to give intent to hammer.
Xwing is the first person on said wagon
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:35 pm

Post by Nauci »

In post 202, Flavor Leaf wrote:We have the four on wagon, plus xwing and Munch willing to give intent to hammer.

The wagon on Jim dissipated and moved to Salamander after I voted Salamander for his vote on Jim. Jim I think has 1 vote on him? Salamander has Xwing, me, Roster, and Vivit I think.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Post by Nauci »

I'm pretty active right now so I'm going to unvote until I see Salamander post, and give Jim (or Jim's replacement, if need be) some time to actually participate before we potentially end the day. I've seen too many accidental or intentional hammers in newbie games to go to bed with a -1 :o

UNVOTE: Salamander Consider my vote on there in spirit, however.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:37 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Oh wow. I totally skipped page 8 except for the last Intent to hammer post.

Hmm, then that means Jim probably is scum, and someone helped transfer wagons.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:37 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 206, Nauci wrote:I'm pretty active right now so I'm going to unvote until I see Salamander post, and give Jim (or Jim's replacement, if need be) some time to actually participate before we potentially end the day. I've seen too many accidental or intentional hammers in newbie games to go to bed with a -1 :o

I feel like more quick hammers happen in non newbie games. There’s more discussion, sure, but outta nowhere lynches.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Nauci »

In post 193, xwing wrote:i thought you wanted to hone your skills without the use of meta?
dont read his meta, just read him as he is here..
Because I have meta knowledge of the very different version of Flavor Leaf outside of newbie games, I needed to read his IC style as a sort of palate cleanser, if that makes sense?

Everyone else I'm going to have to cold read, which is nice.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Nauci’s pretty townie. There’s a lot of things he’s doing, like that pseudo unvote thatjust is doing a lot of unnecessary work as scum.

Sure, he could be doing it to project townieness, but I don’t feel they do that. Seems like town going straightforward at trying to figure it out, but doesn’t really know.

Doesn’t feel like Nauci knows what’s going on, but is trying to, which is all town can do at this point.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 209, Nauci wrote:
In post 193, xwing wrote:i thought you wanted to hone your skills without the use of meta?
dont read his meta, just read him as he is here..
Because I have meta knowledge of the very different version of Flavor Leaf outside of newbie games, I needed to read his IC style as a sort of palate cleanser, if that makes sense?

Everyone else I'm going to have to cold read, which is nice.
To be fair, my non newbie games are all drastically different from each other. I’ve been told I play drastically different depending what account I’m playing on too.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:42 pm

Post by Nauci »

In post 207, Flavor Leaf wrote:Hmm, then that means Jim probably is scum, and someone helped transfer wagons.
When I voted Salamander, I thought the 2 votes from Roster and Vivit followed
really
quickly. What do you think of their votes?

I didn't like the way Roster switched his vote but I was otherwise town reading him. I'm not sure how I feel about Vivit's. On one hand, it wasn't unreasonable. On the other, it feels way too eager to sheep me and cast my empty quote post as analysis.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I think you have a lot of town pull right now, so people are playing follow the Nauci.

I agree that it’s a scummy play to sheep you so fast, but unfortunately I think it’s NAI. I can’t say for sure town wouldn’t follow you like that here.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Post by Nauci »

I still haven't decided what to make of the instant town reads on me

I mean I was really burned out and when I came back I've been taking a much more lackadaisical approach, so I sauntered all up in here like I
own
rent the place, and I've never been so quickly town read or had my posts taken so seriously in my life

I'm not sure if it's alignment indicative but it feels like I fell into the mirror dimension
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Post by Nauci »

:(

Looks like Jim is probably going to need replacement
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Post by skitter30 »

jim hawkins has not responded to his prod and is being replaced
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Post by skitter30 »

VOTE COUNT 1.7
salamander (3)
- xwing, rosterfoster, vivit

flavor leaf (2)
- komodo, munchmellow

jim hawkins (1)
- salamander

munchmellow (1)
- jim hawkins

not voting (2)
- flavor leaf, nauci

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Deadline:
(expired on 2018-12-30 23:00:00)

mod notes:

- xwing is vla on weekends
- jim hawkins is being replaced
- :)
Munchmellow
Munchmellow
Goon
Munchmellow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Post by Munchmellow »

In post 206, Nauci wrote:I'm pretty active right now so I'm going to unvote until I see Salamander post, and give Jim (or Jim's replacement, if need be) some time to actually participate before we potentially end the day. I've seen too many accidental or intentional hammers in newbie games to go to bed with a -1 :o

I agree. For now, I am happy with lynching either of them, but we should give Jim's replacement a chance and also hear from Salamander. Than, if we still feel the same way, I am ready to vote for Salamander or give intent to hammer if he is gonna be L-1. I hope they will post soon, if not, I am voting Salamander.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Post by skitter30 »

pvturist replaces jim hawkins! please welcome them!
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

Howdy all :D Good to see you again Nauci.

I'll read through the thread in a bit. What's been happening so far?
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

Here are teh reads;

{roster, Munch, Komodo, Salamander, xwing}
{FL}
{vivit, Nauci}

Text wall soon
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Post by Nauci »

Day 1 lasting fewer than 12 pages or so would be adorable at this point haha

I've seen too many games (13-15 player, though) with >100 page day 1s. It feels like we've had woefully few interactions in this game in comparison though: like we're strangely comfortable lynching a player from a couple of signals.

I look forward to the text wall, pvtUrist
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:40 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

As promised by Yours Truly,

{roster, Munch, Komodo, Salamander, xwing}
lean-town

either reads throughout the thread (example being roster + salamander TvT interaction on page 1), or nothing of their posts pings my suspicions yet.

{FL}
null

feels town, but 1) IC paranoia and 2);
In post 55, Flavor Leaf wrote:I just won a 26 player game as SK, so I’m redeemed from that now, haha.
is scary.

{vivit, Nauci}
lean-scum

both posts fluff that otherwise do not directly benefits town. Also as said by roster;

In post 84, rosterfoster wrote:Hmm...

Komodo is town.

Nauci is a nice person, but nice person and town are not the same thing.

I’m getting good vibes from xwing due to their openness
Examples below.
In post 27, vivit wrote:
In post 23, Salamander wrote:And if we really look at this, your post was borderline anti-town. You're not fishing for information you're just blaming based on 7 words that were said minutes into the game beginning, your posts make you look proactive but are not actually helping anyone.
That sounds like a stretch. We're in the random voting stage; you're supposed to make slightlywild reads in the random voting stage
First post to ping me. The timing of the post feels off, so much that it feels like vivit posting simply for the sake of posting and not actively trying to benefit town.
In post 34, vivit wrote:
Counteraccusing someone for making a wild read on day 1 seems a little suspicious, that's all.
vivit's comment here feels off. Feels more like scum!vivit throwing shade on something random that happened in RVS/page 1 than something town!vivit geniunely thinks.
In post 46, Nauci wrote:Boonskies we meet again I see

That explains why doughboy replaced out
:lol:

VOTE: Flavor Leaf

Haven't caught up yet; will do so later tonight
Scumslip?
In post 51, Nauci wrote:
In post 18, rosterfoster wrote:Do you think it’s better to clutch at some straws (which instinctively I feel exist - you are free to disagree) or to vote someone because their name rhymes?
VOTE: rosterfoster for mixing metaphors
"RVS" on page 3 for the sake of activity rather than content.
In post 66, Nauci wrote:It kind of warms my cold, dead heart that players in the newbie queue take the game so much more seriously and try so much harder than most of the regulars :lol:
Positive but otherwise empty post made more to earn Town Points than to be of any actual benefits.

Spoiler: vivit Post 67
In post 67, vivit wrote:
In post 39, Munchmellow wrote: For now, the only one on my scumdar is actually vivit. I feel he is pushing his Salamander- scum theory a bit too strongly. Like he wants us to jump on that wagon and while we are debating who is scumier - Roster or Salamander, he can stir things up but stays safely under the radar. It's just a thought and a weak vibe, but it is there.
It's not really a theory; there's not enough to go off of right now; I was just speculating based on the rhetorical decisions of Salamander and Roster. It was clear (to me) that Roster was looking for a facetious excuse for a day-one random vote, which I
suppose
could be considered scummy, but his accusation seemed to me to be less characteristic of Town or scum and more characteristic of someone who doesn't take the game of Mafia super seriously (and by "not super seriously" I mean "a 7 rather than an 8 or 9 on a scale where 1 is Lulzy McShitposter and 10 actually gets into character and attempts to realistically roleplay the life-or-death situations represented in the game.")

With all of that in mind, Salamander's response to Roster seemed a bit like a kneejerk OMGUS (but only a bit, and reading back over the posts it's less pronounced than I initially thought it was).

It might seem like I was pushing that idea really hard because I made a lot of posts about it, but part of that's because I'm not used to being unable to edit or delete my posts -- you'll notice that I made posts
and
in very quick succession: I had forgotten to put forth my hunch and put in my hunchvote. Then, since it turned out that I had not formatted my vote properly, I had to make a third post to correct my vote (
). Once I had done
that
, Komodo made post
challenging my suspicions, so I elaborated on my suspicions a bit more in
. Then Flavor Leaf asked a question about my reasoning in post
and I answered.

In total, I made five posts about my salamander hunch, so I can see why it might seem like I was pushing it, but the first three were me failing to get my vote out properly, the fourth was elaborating on my suspicions when those suspicions were challenged, and fifth was an answer to a direct question.

tl;dr: it's just a hunch and I don't even think I was pushing it as hard as it might have looked I was.

Town Points/ fluff/ intention to confuse. Little that actually benefits town.

and by Nauci
As before, positive (comes from Nauci regardless of allignment) but again fluff/contentless (scum-allign)

Spoiler: Post 85 vivit
In post 85, vivit wrote:
In post 81, Nauci wrote:
In post 75, xwing wrote:why do you want a longer RVS?
I think it's fun and promotes better camaraderie and positive spirits

It also sometimes gives PRs room to crumb a little, but that's maybe 2%

It also often has telling moments because it's harder for scum to act truly casual than to provide information laden analysis or grandstanding
Kind of reminds me of footsies in a fighting game: a state where neither fighter is on the offensive or defensive and both are trying to get the upper hand, especially when they are right at the edge of the range of each other's normal attacks.

Fluff post by vivit

Spoiler: Post 86 Nauci
In post 86, Nauci wrote:I think jumping immediately into analysis posts by definition means nothing will have a whole lot of grounds

And it ends up looking more like showing off rhetorical skill than productive sorting

Besides

I've never had a game where a bunch of analytical people didn't need something more crazy or dramatic or nonsensical to get real conversation started, like a Miller claim or debate about policy lynching or something

Reactions to sensible stuff is less telling, compared to reactions to low hanging fruit posts

aand another fluff post by Nauci.

I'm fine with either VOTE: vivit or Nauci for L1, won't be voting on salamander or anyone else unless something really weird comes up.
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

In post 94, vivit wrote:Reads so far:
Rosterfoster
: standard RVS tactics, no real reads.
Salamander
: OMGUS counteraccusation against standard RVS tactics = scum read. Not strong, but stronger than anyone else's at this point. I may remove my vote if he comes in with a good defensive argument before lynchtime, but as is, his posts early in the thread are definitely the scummiest so far.
Nauci
: Made an off-topic post about masons, either a funpost for the lulz or a scumpost for the derail (I'm much more inclined to think the former.) Otherwise, strong town reads.
Flavor Leaf
: Town reads, but pretty quick to clear suspicion on people.
xwing
: Clearly wants to get a move on with the game. Rushing to get out of the early game is normally a scum read, but he has explicitly stated he doesn't like RVS as a personal preference. He seems like he's still getting the hang of Mafia (this has been commented on in past threads) so this definitely doesn't seem like a scum rush. When considering votes, he thinks clearly and critically. Likely town.
Komodo
: Seems to be doing more listening and asking questions than pushing ideas, so I'm guessing town.
Jim Hawkins
: Awfully quiet, so no direct reads either way, but lurking is itself a scum read. His post and login history (which at this writing say that he made his last post about 20 hours ago and logged off about 10 hours after that) indicate that he had chances to post but did not take them
Munchmellow
: Not many posts, not much to go on, but a bit more active than Jim Hawkins, so lurker vibes are weaker.
Keeping my vote on Salamander for now.
I'm it reading it as this. Feel free to correct me if I've read you wrong;

{vivit} Conf-town
{Nauci} Strong-town
{FL, Komodo, xwing} Lean-town
{Jim, Munch, Roster} Null
{Salamander} Lean-scum

Have your reads changed at all since Post 94? If so, why?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”