Newbie 1909 | Scheme | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:18 am

Post by teacher »

In post 198, EGL wrote:Lol sorry one of those situations again where I was replying when you were posting. My bad. Smartphones are wonderful things, no?
They are, and no worries at all. What I am about to say is just a general point that I have thought about saying once before this game, and this reminded me. I honestly don’t care here.

The general/IC teaching point is that it is considered poor form to answer a question directed to someone else - the questioner may be seeking a specific response from a specific person. For example, sometimes I have seen people repeat questions pages apart to see if the answers stay the same or evolve. In that circumstance, though it may be tempting to be “helpful” and link back to the old answers, try not to. Likewise, I might have been aware of 182 and seeing if UR2 would point to that after his roadtrip or offer a different story (I wasn’t, but I could have been)

Again here no harm no foul at all because it was pure error. But a good opportunity to make a worthwhile general point.
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:19 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 191, Loopdan wrote:I'll try explaining it the other way around.

Child came into the game and immediately said hi TTTT (one of my alts). Teacher is like how'd you know that so quick have you been following the game? Child is like yeah bro I skimmed it. Then 4 hours later Child posts a play-by-play of the game which shows him developing his reads, and replying to other's posts, and not realizing what I was doing with the L-1 self-vote... until he gets to a post on page 6 where I explained it, and he's like damn bro you got me! But I had mentioned I was TTTT a couple posts above that post on page 6, so if he's already read that page why is he acting like he is developing these reads in his play-by-play.

In other words it looks fake.
Thanks for explaining! I thought you had caught him pretending not to know your alts after knowing his alts, or something.

Yeah, you're right it's fake. Child's explanation is consistent with his post 169, and I think his explanation is probably the truth. I'm not sure it's AI by itself. I could see those entrance posts coming from either alignment.

Actually, that's not quite right. I can definitely see town making Child's opening posts. I think scum!child could also make those posts, but I think is probably less likely to do so over all. Perversely, I think this is slightly town indicative.
p.edit
@teacher you could be right about 169. I'll think on it some more. It would have been a pretty egregious slip if Child wrote 168 while forgetting his skim claim
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:36 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.06 Filtered Accumulator
Well the accumulator is nice but maybe we don't want all the sums of squares, maybe we just want the sum of the squares of prime numbers, or the product of the odd numbers.

omg this worked on my first try.

(define
(filtered-accumulate filter combiner null-value func this-a next-a last-a) (define
(iter answer this-a last-a) (cond
(
(> this-a last-a)
answer) (
(filter this-a) (iter
(combiner
(func this-a)
answer) (next-a this-a) last-a)
) (else
(iter answer
(next-a this-a)
last-a)
)
)
) (iter null-value this-a last-a)
)

In Scheme, procedures that produce a boolean often end in a ?. the built-in procedure "odd?" returns #t if a number is odd and #f if a number is even. Isn't that charming?

So now we can have:

(define
(sum-odd-nums a b) (filtered-accumulate odd? + 0 + a 1+ b)
)

Spoiler: And that just works straightforwardly
scheme@(guile-user)> (sum-odd-nums 1 10)
$35 = 25
scheme@(guile-user)> (+ 1 3 5 7 9)
$36 = 25

But let's make some more complicated filters. Let's make a prime test. (modulo) gives you the remainder when you divide a by b. If it's zero, they divide evenly:

(define
(prime? a) (define
(iter-guess guess) (cond
(
(< a 2)
#f) (
(>
(square guess)
a)
#t) (
(= 0
(modulo a guess)
)
#f) (else
(iter-guess
(1+ guess)
)
)
)
) (iter-guess 2)
)

Now we can just

(define
(sum-squares-primes a b) (filtered-accumulate prime? + 0 square a 1+ b)
)

Spoiler: hey it works
scheme@(guile-user)> (sum-squares-primes 1 30000)
$72 = 895753231576

LynchingWith 9 votes in play, it takes 5 to lynch.

dicideaq
(4): teacher, EGL, u r a person 2, Loopdan
Clemency
(1): Child
Loopdan
(1): dicideaq
Child
(1): Clemency

Not Voting
(2): Emperor flippyNips, Amzela

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-01-06 08:45:00).

Mod notes:
Keep it fun![/area]
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:41 am

Post by Amzela »

Wow. Dici is already L-1 and no posts. Holidays or scum?

Hi person and child! Also hi flip flop nips of emperors. I’m going to do some catching up today but unfortunately am having a family problem again. Give me a few hours.
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:43 am

Post by EGL »

In post 200, teacher wrote:
In post 198, EGL wrote:Lol sorry one of those situations again where I was replying when you were posting. My bad. Smartphones are wonderful things, no?
They are, and no worries at all. What I am about to say is just a general point that I have thought about saying once before this game, and this reminded me. I honestly don’t care here.

The general/IC teaching point is that it is considered poor form to answer a question directed to someone else - the questioner may be seeking a specific response from a specific person. For example, sometimes I have seen people repeat questions pages apart to see if the answers stay the same or evolve. In that circumstance, though it may be tempting to be “helpful” and link back to the old answers, try not to. Likewise, I might have been aware of 182 and seeing if UR2 would point to that after his roadtrip or offer a different story (I wasn’t, but I could have been)

Again here no harm no foul at all because it was pure error. But a good opportunity to make a worthwhile general point.
Ah yeah. I won't answer most questions for other people, but I just thought you had missed my post and that it wasn't a big deal in this case. My bad.
EXTERMINAAATE~!
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:21 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

I'm town reading elg and teacher. loopdan, not so much. I don't know your personality, loopdan, but that early self-vote like its cousin the scum-claim has to come more often from scum than town, right?

either way, this wagon is pretty dope.

if dici is scum, i think this wagon is 100% town
if dici is town, i think there is at most 1 scum on this wagon rn and that maybe-scum is loop
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: any

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:38 am

Post by Clemency »

would people be mad if i hammered this
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

only if you hit town ;P
Child
Child
Goon
Child
Goon
Goon

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:46 am

Post by Child »

In post 207, u r a person 2 wrote:only if you hit town ;P
+
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:50 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 206, Clemency wrote:would people be mad if i hammered this
Yes. State your intent Clem. It's the Newbie Q.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 am

Post by Loopdan »

Teacher, why are you IC-posting instead of commenting on the dici's L-1?
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:53 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 205, u r a person 2 wrote:I don't know your personality, loopdan, but that early self-vote like its cousin the scum-claim has to come more often from scum than town, right?
I don't know if self-voting is more likely to come from scum or not when it's early like that. Scum does self-vote more than town but it's usually the hammer. To be fair, if a new player came in and did what I did, I would probably be all over them until/unless they explained a motive that was consistent with their actions and were playing in a way that made me believe they would do something like that.
In post 205, u r a person 2 wrote: either way, this wagon is pretty dope.

if dici is scum, i think this wagon is 100% town
if dici is town, i think there is at most 1 scum on this wagon rn and that maybe-scum is loop
Agree on this being a good wagon. That's one reason I voted.
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:20 am

Post by Clemency »

In post 209, Loopdan wrote:
Yes. State your intent Clem. It's the Newbie Q.
this is me claming intent
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 am

Post by Amzela »

In post 130, Loopdan wrote:Amzela's is not what I expected. I mean that in a good way.
I'm still trying to figure out what this means. What?
In post 194, teacher wrote:
In post 192, Loopdan wrote:Although I do like his most recent reply ().
i was having a mind meld w you on the initial reaction, but 186 didn’t swing it back to me. 169 (sorry no links from the airport) felt to me almost like someone who saw the disconnect between the skim claim and the reactions post too late after posting, so immediately said it didn’t work.

I’m missing Amzela - I think that slot needs some real time talk. Next time you come on, can you let me know a time to plan to meet you and just live chat? Like it’s now Saturday - let me know any time Monday that works for you and I can shake free for a bit.
I would love to live chat but if this game/this life has taught me anything, it's that shit gets crazy and I flake a lot. Let's try for Monday morning (although my parents are back in and I might get pulled away) or maybe Sunday afternoon?

(yes i'm chuckling to myself about my animu judge me)
Mama-Amz would be angry because I have a feeling Dici's scared/on holiday. On the other hand, I also reeeeeeeally wanna hammer this too because I'm bad at reading people as well.

@I think Loop? Or maybe EGL? The him in post 141 refers to Dici.

I'm currently reading:
-- Dici as scum lean
>> No matter how much I want to defend the kid, Dici said in post 10 that he'd stay quiet as scum, even though he thinks scum makes a lot of accusations and town stays pretty quiet. Half of me says scared. Other half of me can't shake the scum read. I wouldn't say he scum-slipped because it's hard to scum slip when you're so quiet, especially as a brand-spanking-new person.

-- Loop as... scum lean?
>> really, really didn't like that self-vote, no matter how you slice n' dice it. 87 feels like a weird defense against Clem. 129 is an agreement, but I still don't get the whole thing about Teacher drunk hammering and how that would help town.
The aggression towards Child seems unwarranted, explaining below.
On top of that the 210 push on Teacher to comment on Dici's L-1 instead of IC-posting feels weird. I get that may be an "is Teacher actually town or no?" line of questioning.
I know you wanted to drop this, but it still gives bad vibes, @Loop)

-- Child as null, slight town-lean

In the last game, I think I did the same thing as Child. I would read half-way and then post a bunch and realize that I missed things and it made me look scummy. Though Loop seems to change their mind in 192, the aggression makes it feel like Loop is trying to poke holes in Child's posts before he's even gotten his feet on the ground, which I don't like.

That being said, Child is still null because I don't know how to town read or scum read, as I've discovered.

Town lean on Teacher, though cautious because maybe that's just the IC kicking in?
Will develop better reads on EGL, EmpNips, and Person later. Clem is excluded because he confuses me and I will just put you on this shelf over here. p.edit AS SEEN ABOVE

TL;DR - I made a bunch of reads, Loop is scum, Teach and I will have a chat soon, and Dici pleeeeeease come back soon and explain.
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:49 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 213, Amzela wrote:Mama-Amz would be angry because I have a feeling Dici's scared/on holiday. On the other hand, I also reeeeeeeally wanna hammer this too because I'm bad at reading people as well.
This and the rest of your commentary on dici reads really scummy to me.

If dici flips red, this looks like the partner

Amzela in this post: I really scum read him, too, but he's probably just newb!town but I really want to hammer him because I'm bad at reading people.
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:50 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

reads scummy even if dici flips green
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Post by EGL »

UNVOTE:
EXTERMINAAATE~!
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Post by EGL »

Going to think about this over dinner.
EXTERMINAAATE~!
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Post by Clemency »

In post 213, Amzela wrote:if this game/this life has taught me anything
eyy i get it
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:13 pm

Post by Loopdan »

In post 213, Amzela wrote:
In post 130, Loopdan wrote:Amzela's is not what I expected. I mean that in a good way.
I'm still trying to figure out what this means. What?
It looked like a towney post.
In post 213, Amzela wrote: -- Loop as... scum lean?
>> really, really didn't like that self-vote, no matter how you slice n' dice it. 87 feels like a weird defense against Clem. 129 is an agreement, but I still don't get the whole thing about Teacher drunk hammering and how that would help town.
I was just saying that if Teacher wasn't on my wagon already I wouldn't have put myself at L-1. I said that because I wanted people to realize I wasn't being careless, as I tried to think through the possible outcomes.
In post 213, Amzela wrote: The aggression towards Child seems unwarranted, explaining below.
So do you think unwarranted aggression is more likely to be scum than town?
In post 213, Amzela wrote: On top of that the 210 push on Teacher to comment on Dici's L-1 instead of IC-posting feels weird. I get that may be an "is Teacher actually town or no?" line of questioning.
You are going to have to get used to people asking questions that aren't nice and/or polite. It's how alignments are sorted. If you are town here, I'm kinda worried that all scum will have to do is befriend you and you'll be in their pocket.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Post by Loopdan »

In post 214, u r a person 2 wrote:
In post 213, Amzela wrote:Mama-Amz would be angry because I have a feeling Dici's scared/on holiday. On the other hand, I also reeeeeeeally wanna hammer this too because I'm bad at reading people as well.
This and the rest of your commentary on dici reads really scummy to me.

If dici flips red, this looks like the partner

Amzela in this post: I really scum read him, too, but he's probably just newb!town but I really want to hammer him because I'm bad at reading people.
I'm buying what you are selling.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 210, Loopdan wrote:Teacher, why are you IC-posting instead of commenting on the dici's L-1?
Sorry just landed. I thought your explanation of hammer covered what was needed at the time, though I’m happy someone invited as I think it’s a bit early in the day and want to give time for dicing return and all. But thank you for emphasizing the intent point - I like that you even used the same bold I remembered from 1906. Now waiting on my wife for customs :mad:
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Post by teacher »

Amz- what time zone/utc are you?
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Post by EGL »

Loop has a point. Teach should have commented on dici L-1. I don't like amzela's last post. She comes across as encouraging us to lynch dici while trying to keep a distance from it, like she wants to keep her hands clean. I don't think I like them as a scumpair anymore. I don't like her reasons for defending him, either. Never have.

VOTE: amzela
EXTERMINAAATE~!
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Post by EGL »

If Clemency is around can I get another vote on amzela?
EXTERMINAAATE~!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”