The Root of Toxicity in Mafia Games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:35 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I don't agree but I think that my ideal of what the limits should be includes stuff that you aren't even considering
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:36 am

Post by Enter »

In post 75, RadiantCowbells wrote:I don't agree but I think that my ideal of what the limits should be includes stuff that you aren't even considering
this is at nancy?
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:42 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 71, RadiantCowbells wrote:The good thing is that it only works so many times as scum; once you become known for being shitty as scum you stop getting TR for it

It works a lot better if you have a meta of only being toxic as town because then it effectively becomes a trust tell that doesn't violate any rules
In post 72, RadiantCowbells wrote:like if you only get riled up enough as town to be really nasty then it clears you and it's not exactly 'trying to maintain a meta' it's just it is what it is and no one is going to encourage you to act awfully as scum in the interest of fairness

I think the rules on toxicity should be a lot tighter than they currently are. I think most toxicity in mafia happens because it gets results and a solid 10-15% of games are won or lost by a race to the bottom with whichever faction is willing to play dirtier taking the win.
I have to agree with the point you're making here. Especially as someone who finds forum mafia more "meaningful" than face to face mafia, it seems really unpalatable to be able to bring a mechanic that seems to have the same flavor back into the game.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:44 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 75, RadiantCowbells wrote:I don't agree but I think that my ideal of what the limits should be includes stuff that you aren't even considering
Like?

The closest I’ve come to a pl in a game was this guy who made it blatantly clear he intended to prod dodge the entire game and never vote until he got lynched because he refused to replace out, eventhough he clearly had 0 intention of playing.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:44 am

that is at Nancy
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:52 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 79, RadiantCowbells wrote:that is at Nancy
Are you planning to elaborate?
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:55 am

I prefer to come in, make meaningful but vague we overarching statements that give no one any specific ideas for policy changes or what I don't like, then I get to have a superiority complex and complain for years instead of enacting meaningful change and not being able to complain anymore.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:57 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 81, RadiantCowbells wrote:I prefer to come in, make meaningful but vague we overarching statements that give no one any specific ideas for policy changes or what I don't like, then I get to have a superiority complex and complain for years instead of enacting meaningful change and not being able to complain anymore.
Alright, gotcha. :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:58 am

(an example of something I think should be banned is threats of blacklist in mafia games. Blacklisting someone outside of game should be fine but using it as a tool to beat people with should not.)
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:01 am

Post by Enter »

In post 83, RadiantCowbells wrote:(an example of something I think should be banned is threats of blacklist in mafia games. Blacklisting someone outside of game should be fine but using it as a tool to beat people with should not.)
Threatening people with a lot of things is p toxic, IMO. It also doesn't necessarily make sense - if someone doesn't wanna stop doing something just because you say stop, why would they want to do it to avoid being on your black list?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:02 am

Just because you think someone's scum doesn't mean you dislike the person and doesn't mean you'd want to never play with them again.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:03 am

Post by Enter »

oh that's a different kind of threat than I considered
but also threatening someone cuz you think they're scum is extra dumb
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:04 am

Post by Enter »

wait i understand

you're saying someone might threaten a player with a blacklist because the player thinks taht someone is scum. got it

OMGUS blacklist threat
nice
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:05 am

Fuck you if you think I'm scum you're not honestly trying to read me so I'm never going to play with you again
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:08 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 83, RadiantCowbells wrote:(an example of something I think should be banned is threats of blacklist in mafia games. Blacklisting someone outside of game should be fine but using it as a tool to beat people with should not.)
People could still find their way around that unfortunately by just saying they don’t want to play with player X ever again, which isn’t technically the same but close enough but yeah, mods should take a harsher line on that because it obviously involves outside influences.

I would also add pl ing any player who tries to prove their alignment based on whether or not they pick up their role pm. Like that 100% would get you banned on MU. Similar to saying what town vs. scum!you would do wrt replace outs. As in the trust tell thread:

Okay: I have/haven’t ever replaced out/failed to pick up prods as x alignment.

Not Okay: I would NEVER replace out/fail to pick up prods as x alignment.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:08 am

Post by Enter »

oh, yeah i get it..
tbh i agree w/ p much everything you're saying

but also i don' tknow how to fix it from a moderator standpoint

probably at least partially because i'm not a mod
so my only option is to try to fix it from player standpoint -> policy lynch
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:09 am

In post 89, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I would also add pl ing any player who tries to prove their alignment based on whether or not they pick up their role pm. Like that 100% would get you banned on MU. Similar to saying what town vs. scum!you would do wrt replace outs. As in the trust tell thread:
It's already against the rules though.

It doesn't need a policy lynch
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:11 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 84, Enter wrote:
Threatening people with a lot of things is p toxic, IMO. It also doesn't necessarily make sense - if someone doesn't wanna stop doing something just because you say stop, why would they want to do it to avoid being on your black list?
People might do it for a cheap townread and it usually is done by town but scum!Maria did that to RC in MG. It might be hard to totally regulate that though.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:14 am

Post by Enter »

In post 92, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 84, Enter wrote:
People might do it for a cheap townread and it usually is done by town but scum!Maria did that to RC in MG. It might be hard to totally regulate that though.
lol
wait maria did taht

never really talked to/played with her, but i always got the impression she was a nice and at least somewhat reasonable person

wow that's like a next level shitty thing to do, i would expect shit like that from like TSE or other players i've encountered recently, but definitely not a skittle , lol
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:15 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 85, RadiantCowbells wrote:Just because you think someone's scum doesn't mean you dislike the person and doesn't mean you'd want to never play with them again.
Another thing should not be tolerated. Persival literally threatened me with a temp ban in a game, eventhough I didn’t break any rules, so that should never be allowed. He wasn’t the mod btw.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:16 am

Post by OkaPoka »

i think calling yourself obvtown is pretty toxic lets ban that too no kap
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:17 am

Post by popsofctown »

Do not bring outside influences into the game - this includes
threats
, bribes, wagers, promises, "trust tells", alliances, etc. Using knowledge from previous games is perfectly acceptable, but try not to carry grudges
from one game to another.

The idea that threatening to blacklist someone is not good mafia is already in the spirit of how people want games to be a approached. It just an enforcement/drawing a line in the sand issue on preventing the behavior, keeping it from being rewarded, etc.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:19 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 95, OkaPoka wrote:i think calling yourself obvtown is pretty toxic lets ban that too no kap
Ha ha ha ha ha, very funny.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:20 am

Post by Enter »

i think people ahve called themselves obvtown in a pretty toxic / unaware way before

but i think taht it's not toxic by definition
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:23 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 93, Enter wrote:
In post 92, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 84, Enter wrote:
lol
wait maria did taht

never really talked to/played with her, but i always got the impression she was a nice and at least somewhat reasonable person

wow that's like a next level shitty thing to do, i would expect shit like that from like TSE or other players i've encountered recently, but definitely not a skittle , lol
She announced a matter-of-fact blacklisting, I don't think she threatened to blacklist contingent on RC's future behavior, which would be much worse. I don't think she did it to get townread, I think she was actually very angry.
I guess it's mafia and maybe I was being fooled and I'm getting wolfed even after the game is over as a little vanilla townie and all that but I don't want to believe bad things about MariaR :/
"Well, I..."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”