The Root of Toxicity in Mafia Games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:38 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 120, RadiantCowbells wrote:Realistically I think that it's not hard as town to basically never hard defend scum, or to do so so rarely that taking 1 policy lynch is not a problem. Generally if a player is repeatedly falling on the wrong side of that they self select themselves out of my games anyway.
Why not? Why can’t town be fooled? It’s happened to me more than I’d care to admit.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Then you need to defend your townreads a lot less
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 125, RadiantCowbells wrote:The easiest way to be bad is to think that you're better than you are.
The easiest way to be good is to keep your ability in perspective.
I agree with this, keeping one’s ego in check can mean a win or loss for whatever alignment you are.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:42 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 132, RadiantCowbells wrote:It's absolutely true. Over or underrating the correctness of your reads vs everyone elses hurts your winrate. Idk how you would argue that.
Experience and self-awareness affect that a lot.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:44 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 148, RadiantCowbells wrote:No, you don't know.

But if your EV of hunting scum is average (1/3 in mini) and someone elses is 2/3 outside of the way your own personal feelings about ~your reads~ get in the way why would you go with 1/3 over 2/3
Can someone please tell me what EV means? Kthanx
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:51 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 167, Dannflor wrote:
In post 163, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 160, gobbledygook wrote:Do you think win/loss records and the quantification of “good play” leads to more toxicity?

I think to truly answer this question you need to define what is toxicity. Is toxicity being right/wrong, or is it a personality clash? I personally think toxicity has a bit of being right/wrong, but in general weighs more heavily on being a personality issue.
Depends how you define toxicity

I think a decent minority of MS thinks that my general playstyle is toxic just for being what it is without me having to say a word against anyone in the game.

In that sense, sure. In traditional sense, no.
I think the word toxic starts to lose its meaning when it's applied to "this playstyle that rubs me the wrong way" versus like

actual toxic behavior towards other people
I think it can depend on the specific playstyle. I’ve encountered ones that were definitely toxic. Toxic scum is the absolute worst though.

Ftr, I don’t consider RC’s playstyle to be toxic or I wouldn’t play with him.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:52 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 168, popsofctown wrote:Once Dannflor only put kittens in the VC once per day phase instead of twice per day phase and it was super toxic

I have him blacklisted now
:lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:53 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 169, Dannflor wrote:
Spoiler: :(

VC 1.BLACKLIST
Dannflor (1): popsofctown

Not Voting:
Dannflor

With 2 alive, 1 to make Dannflor sad

Deadline: (expired on 2020-02-23 00:36:42)

Awwwe :)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:57 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 174, RadiantCowbells wrote:You also hard fought me on both SS and Volpe
That wasn’t my point, that my reads are better than yours, my point was that if you arbitrarily lynch anyone who hard defends scum and ignore absolutely anything that points to them being obvtown (not saying you’re actually doing this btw), then you risk bleeding obvtown Sakura type mislynches.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 am

Post by popsofctown »

I think the idea is that a successful hard defense of scum sets town winrate to 0% and mislynching obvtown doesn't.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:59 am

In post 184, popsofctown wrote:I think the idea is that a successful hard defense of scum sets town winrate to 0% and mislynching obvtown doesn't.
Ding ding ding
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:01 am

The most common paths to scum wins that I see in games are one where a significant faction of town scumread each scum but at least one scum had at least a few townies who hard townread them and defend them, and in the end town lynches people no one really thinks is going to flip scum as a compromise because the people hard defending wear out the people with correct scumreads until they give up on that read.

See: Shoshin, Volpe, but this is actually more common in games without me because I have no issues brute forcing a scum lynch over the objections of whichever townie hard defends them
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:02 am

Like sometimes scum just goat and get utr but that's pretty rare (15-20% of scum wins) whereas all scum in PoE but one or a few townies refuse to let at least one scum die constitutes like 50% or so of scum wins.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 176, RadiantCowbells wrote:Then you need to defend your townreads a lot less
:lol: No. My townread accuracy rate is actually pretty high - higher than average in fact. That’s why I tend to prefer townblocking to scumhunting early game.

That’s how I won YGM, by eventually figuring out that everyone else was townier than Kokichi, with more than a little help, of course. :wink:

However, I did correctly nail both scum in Newsroom. I nailed one in the room odds but I didn’t try hard enough to convince people and everyone kept arguing with me that Persival was town, when I correctly identified him as obvscum right out of the gate.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:04 am

ND you also prevented the SS lynch D1 on newsroom.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:05 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 185, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 184, popsofctown wrote:I think the idea is that a successful hard defense of scum sets town winrate to 0% and mislynching obvtown doesn't.
Ding ding ding
I wasn’t arguing otherwise. My point is you should only rely on that as a way of sorting. if you have nothing else to go on.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:05 am

It's not above average vs not above average

If more than 1/10 of your townreads are scum your townreads are worthless
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:07 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 189, RadiantCowbells wrote:ND you also prevented the SS lynch D1 on newsroom.
No I didn’t. I was responsible for both him and Lion getting lynched.

This isn’t funny RC. :mad:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:08 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 191, RadiantCowbells wrote:It's not above average vs not above average

If more than 1/10 of your townreads are scum your townreads are worthless
That is clearly not the case with me, thankfully.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:08 am

Post by OkaPoka »

UR MOTHER WAS A MURLOC
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 179, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 148, RadiantCowbells wrote:No, you don't know.

But if your EV of hunting scum is average (1/3 in mini) and someone elses is 2/3 outside of the way your own personal feelings about ~your reads~ get in the way why would you go with 1/3 over 2/3
Can someone please tell me what EV means? Kthanx
So you know, EV stands for "Expected Value". It represents the average "value" of something with uncertain/unpredictable outcomes, like a lottery ticket or a pair of hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk.
In some contexts it's necessary to multiply by the level of benefit to get the correct average expected value, if it costs ten dollars to enter a tournament and first place gets a hundred dollars, and second through fourth place gets twenty dollars, when you calculate the Expected Value you have to use math to represent the 20$ being more likely to be achievable and also the 100$ being the greater reward. In Mafia EVs you generally can either win the game or lose the game and that's it so the "Value" part of the term is slightly out of place, the values are just "yes you won" or "no you didn't", but it's still good terminology because it's helpful to draw parallels to other games.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:10 am

Post by popsofctown »

OkaPoka smells like a Leper Gnome
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 am

Post by OkaPoka »

In post 196, popsofctown wrote:OkaPoka smells like a Leper Gnome
root of toxicity /thread
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 am

Oh my god

You changed your mind later in the game sure but I went war mode with SS on D1 and you hard defended him and I gave up on the game
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:14 am

Post by popsofctown »

I am the root of toxicity

Also I am the source of all townreads on scum
"Well, I..."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”