Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #400 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:58 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Ceph im here if you wanna dance in real time?
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #401 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:00 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 399, Cephrir wrote:Oh, no! This appeal to authority completely destroys my suspicions. I guess people who haven't played with someone before aren't capable of reading that person.
It's an appeal to experience, not authority. Esp *refused* to take a look at my town games where there's clear evidence against his reason for the scumread, whereas people who played with me have it.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #402 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 401, Auro wrote:
In post 399, Cephrir wrote:Oh, no! This appeal to authority completely destroys my suspicions. I guess people who haven't played with someone before aren't capable of reading that person.
It's an appeal to experience, not authority. Esp *refused* to take a look at my town games where there's clear evidence against his reason for the scumread, whereas people who played with me have it.
Do you have an issue with Dann tring Espy the way he did with no experience and no dive into current meta?
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #403 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Post by Auro »

Didn't dann say he was just "kick-starting" the game by throwing out such a townread?

He said he's going to post soon, let's see if the read sticks.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #404 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:11 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 403, Auro wrote:Didn't dann say he was just "kick-starting" the game by throwing out such a townread?

He said he's going to post soon, let's see if the read sticks.
Thats true, and fair.

Thanks for acknowledging i posted.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #405 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:20 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 392, Auro wrote:NSG I'm inclined to believe you have time for TM *for reasons*, can you come play the game kthanx
please don't make presumptions about how my team wants me to spend my time. i never lie about real life circumstances and i never will.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #406 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Post by Cephrir »

In post 400, Formerfish wrote:Ceph im here if you wanna dance in real time?
I've never been good at this but I guess I could try.
In post 401, Auro wrote:
It's an appeal to experience, not authority.
You're saying those people are authorities on you and their opinions therefore are the only ones that count. Six of one, half dozen of another.
Esp *refused* to take a look at my town games where there's clear evidence against his reason for the scumread, whereas people who played with me have it.
I don't care! If he doesn't use meta, that's his prerogative.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #407 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 406, Cephrir wrote:I've never been good at this but I guess I could try.
Cool, what do you wanna talk about?
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #408 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:28 pm

Post by Espeonage »

Ceph, be the change you want to see int he world.
Don't @ me.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #409 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 406, Cephrir wrote:I don't care! If he doesn't use meta, that's his prerogative.
Let's try to figure where we disagree.

1. Esp said I'm scum for a reason X.
2. A cursory glance at my town games would show X in those games.
3. Dunn also says I do X as town.
4. Therefore, scumreading me for X is not valid.
5. Therefore, Esp should re-assess.

(I don't think X is scummy by itself anyway, but that's a different issue)

Can you tell me which point you disagree me with on?
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #410 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Post by Cephrir »

In post 407, Formerfish wrote:
In post 406, Cephrir wrote:I've never been good at this but I guess I could try.
Oh, I was supposed to provide the topic? Well, uhhhh we're somewhat aligned on reads so I'm not sure there are any that need hashing out. I guess you could give me some more words on wgeurts town? is it just similarity to your thought process or is there something else? i had no read on that slot and i feel like i should inspect it based on team feedback.
Bartleby the Scrivener
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #411 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 406, Cephrir wrote:You're saying those people are authorities on you and their opinions therefore are the only ones that count. Six of one, half dozen of another.
No. I'm arguing in a very specific context.
I'm being scumreads for reasons XYZ, which are disproved by looking at my previous town games.
People who played with me before know that, versus people who haven't played with me *and* are refusing to look at them.

Again, which part of this is wrong?
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #412 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:37 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 410, Cephrir wrote:
Oh, I was supposed to provide the topic? Well, uhhhh we're somewhat aligned on reads so I'm not sure there are any that need hashing out. I guess you could give me some more words on wgeurts town? is it just similarity to your thought process or is there something else? i had no read on that slot and i feel like i should inspect it based on team feedback.
Well, yeah, unless you wanna try to talk me out of the tr i have on you. If you need to sort me still then you would need to figure out how I can help you do that.

Geurt was an initial tr because his posts felt like the could have been written by myself for the most part, its a gut read based off that mind meld. I wish he had kept it up, looking back I see that he hasnt posted in like 5 days, so reading the thread all at once doesnt show that gap. Knowing he gained initial trs from those posts but then completely dropped off the face of the earth makes me wonder if he was scum towning it up for enough cred to coast on or if he is dead irl town.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #413 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:38 pm

Post by Cephrir »

In post 409, Auro wrote:
In post 406, Cephrir wrote:I don't care! If he doesn't use meta, that's his prerogative.

I believe this is the point of disagreement.
-Dunn is fallible.
-Maybe the way you're doing it this time is subtly different (it can't possibly be exactly the same unless you post the same exact words).
-Maybe Espe thinks the entirety of mafia is situational and personality has no consistency from game to game.

Personally the major reason for my scumread on you is becoming the focus on defense, the "you CAN'T scumread me for X!" mindset that reminds me of scum caught for the wrong reason, and harping on dumb points like this when you could be doing anything else.
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #414 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Post by Cephrir »

In post 412, Formerfish wrote:
In post 410, Cephrir wrote:
Well, yeah, unless you wanna try to talk me out of the tr i have on you. If you need to sort me still then you would need to figure out how I can help you do that.

Geurt was an initial tr because his posts felt like the could have been written by myself for the most part, its a gut read based off that mind meld. I wish he had kept it up, looking back I see that he hasnt posted in like 5 days, so reading the thread all at once doesnt show that gap. Knowing he gained initial trs from those posts but then completely dropped off the face of the earth makes me wonder if he was scum towning it up for enough cred to coast on or if he is dead irl town.
Yeah uh, warthogs are very untrustworthy tbh.
I don't have a strong read on you personally, even after the longer posts, though I'm not sure exactly how it will clear up. I've certainly had strong townreads on you early before but not every game is the same and everyone varies every time etc. I'm slow sometimes and Ithat doesn't really bother me.

OK, sure. I probably tend to give townreads for the same reason sometimes even though I'm not really sure it's actually valid. I'll just look forward to hearing more from him I guess!

See I told you I was bad at this! :P realtime interaction should be really helpful, but I just feel put on the spot!

I guess I remember one thing I used to do in fast paced IRC games. What's your favorite season, fishy?
Bartleby the Scrivener
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #415 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 409, Auro wrote:

5. Therefore, Esp should re-assess.

(I don't think X is scummy by itself anyway, but that's a different issue)

Can you tell me which point you disagree me with on?
Just to butt in, I agree with points 1, and 3. I'll take face value on 2. But 4 and 5 aren't the natural conclusions.
Don't @ me.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #416 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:48 pm

Post by Auro »

The meta thing:
1. I claim that *anyone* who has played with me before, or reads my town games, would arrive at the same conclusion.
2. If it's subtly different, then I invite whoever thinks so to go into detail - because that subtle difference is apparently enough to want to have me lynched. Refusing to talk about it is scummy, yeah?
3. This is one thing that's pretty consistent across games.

As to focus on defense:
1. Looking at whether/how people re-assess based on defense is a valuable means to gaining reads on them.
2. People will sheep me once I defeat their initial bad premise.

As to "harping on dumb points":
1. So you agree that that scumread on me is dumb? If it seems like a legitimate reason, then defending against it is good, no?
2. Are you alleging I'm not doing anything else this game? I want you to explicitly say so, if you are.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #417 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:50 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 414, Cephrir wrote:OK, sure. I probably tend to give townreads for the same reason sometimes even though I'm not really sure it's actually valid. I'll just look forward to hearing more from him I guess!

See I told you I was bad at this! :P realtime interaction should be really helpful, but I just feel put on the spot!

I guess I remember one thing I used to do in fast paced IRC games. What's your favorite season, fishy?
I looked back over his iso and actually found it a bit lacking in isolation. What pinged me especially was when he had a post saying:
In post 177, wgeurts wrote:Reading up, been mildly jetlagged as I flew to Australia a few days ago. Expect much more from me.
Then chastised Auro for saying he picked this game because he thought he'd be a little lower key (hint: it totally is, Theme is 54 pages, normal is 82, open is 88, and the large is only at 95. We have 17 pages), so it turns out that Auro was right, and I think hes the highest poster, so the warning from Geurts seems a little silly now that we know what we know about the posting people have done.

Especially when Geurts makes a later post about traveling again and that was one of his last posts.

And its cool man, i do better in figuring people out by talking to them in real time because they have less time to try and figure out angels and you get more honest answers. If you hunt differently, then do you.

I like fall a lot. There more things for me and my daughter to do and there are holidays that we are starting our own traditions for so its cool.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #418 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Post by Cephrir »

i don't actually know how or why i ended up fighting this battle on espe's behalf
Bartleby the Scrivener
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #419 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 415, Espeonage wrote: Just to butt in, I agree with points 1, and 3. I'll take face value on 2. But 4 and 5 aren't the natural conclusions.
Okay. If X is an exact behaviour, then 4 is a direct conclusion from 2.
If 4 isn't the natural conclusion, there must be
some
qualitative difference between X in town games and X here.
Can you have a look and explain?
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #420 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:54 pm

Post by Cephrir »

In post 416, Auro wrote:The meta thing:
1. I claim that *anyone* who has played with me before, or reads my town games, would arrive at the same conclusion.
2. If it's subtly different, then I invite whoever thinks so to go into detail - because that subtle difference is apparently enough to want to have me lynched. Refusing to talk about it is scummy, yeah?
3. This is one thing that's pretty consistent across games.
ok idc
In post 416, Auro wrote:As to focus on defense:
1. Looking at whether/how people re-assess based on defense is a valuable means to gaining reads on them.
2. People will sheep me once I defeat their initial bad premise.
i don't agree with either of these but it's not really important
In post 416, Auro wrote:As to "harping on dumb points":
1. So you agree that that scumread on me is dumb? If it seems like a legitimate reason, then defending against it is good, no?
I mean that you like to get argumentative and try to slam tiny sub-points that don't even matter into the ground to prove you are the Most Logical. And fwiw I also think that's a scum trait.
In post 416, Auro wrote:2. Are you alleging I'm not doing anything else this game? I want you to explicitly say so, if you are.
Not literally nothing else but you're spending more time on it than I feel is warranted.
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #421 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:56 pm

Post by Cephrir »

In post 417, Formerfish wrote:I like fall a lot. There more things for me and my daughter to do and there are holidays that we are starting our own traditions for so its cool.
without giving away the game, this qualifies as a town answer, but the whole game probably works much better in a chatroom
Bartleby the Scrivener
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #422 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 419, Auro wrote:
In post 415, Espeonage wrote: Just to butt in, I agree with points 1, and 3. I'll take face value on 2. But 4 and 5 aren't the natural conclusions.
Okay. If X is an exact behaviour, then 4 is a direct conclusion from 2.
If 4 isn't the natural conclusion, there must be
some
qualitative difference between X in town games and X here.
Can you have a look and explain?
Both of those statements are categorically false.

If you do X as town and people have observed this there is even more equity for you to do X as scum. You obviously do it as town, you could take advantage of doing it as scum, it's null.

However, I have specifically stated that my issue with you isn't what you are doing, but how you are doing it. I have talked about your mentality behind the base action and the words and tone you use. THAT is the difference why I think you are scum.
Don't @ me.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #423 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 420, Cephrir wrote:I mean that you like to get argumentative and try to slam tiny sub-points that don't even matter into the ground
Not literally nothing else but you're spending more time on it than I feel is warranted.
Umm but I'm debating the top reason I'm being scumread for by multiple people.
I'm dividing into sub-points to locate the source of disagreement.
As long as the disagreements persists, it's a great idea to talk about it, yeah?
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #424 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 421, Cephrir wrote:
In post 417, Formerfish wrote:I like fall a lot. There more things for me and my daughter to do and there are holidays that we are starting our own traditions for so its cool.
without giving away the game, this qualifies as a town answer, but the whole game probably works much better in a chatroom
I dont understand what you mean, but im not too concerned by it.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.

Return to “Team Mafia 2020”