the worst
Snuggly Duckling

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Post by the worst »

Updated to this post.

Just so everyone is ~aware~ we only have a single nomination in the entire scum awards category. DC is a body-of-work, so totally understand that these will likely come in later. But if you've seen a scumteam that's really made a game memorable for you, please nom them!

Excluding Body of Work awards, the following categories still have no nominations:

- Master Strategist
- Don Corleone
- Rube Goldberg
- Mad Scientist
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 am

Post by davesaz »

Spoiler: totally not an attempt to self nom
-cough- jigsaw -nod- -wink-
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:38 am

Post by Isis »

Rube Goldberg
October 1st, 2020 Isis Hectic Silent Star 2: Menagerie This was a very balanced closed setup with naturally good pacing. An initial post-restricted phase created a special low information stage for players to discuss as the game moved to an post unrestricted state.
The game used nonrandom alignment generation, which served as a good design to make the post-restricted phase of the game seem less blind, as players had something to initially think about.
It had unexpected next phases/steps a la gameshow mafia, making the game exciting, even though none of the steps rendered play in the previous phase bad or anything like that.
Well crafted and seems like it's in the center of what this category is about.
Last edited by Isis on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:00 am

Post by the worst »

Isis sure is great.
Last edited by the worst on Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

Rube Goldberg
October 7th, 2020 Pooky Hectic Silent Star 2: Menagarie The setup design was elegant and beautiful in so many ways I can't even begin to list them. This game was an amazing experience that was something like a nonstop rollercoaster ride - the twists and turns were balanced, unpredictable, exhilarating and incredibly fun. My only regret is that I can't forget about this game and play this setup again without the knowledge of what would happen next. What an adventure!

Paperback Writer
November 12, 2020 Pooky Isis Undertale C Open - Chara's Folly The quality of the writing in this game is on another level. I have never spent time re-reading mod flavor text before but it's so well written and beautiful that it created an emotional response for me that had me coming back time and time again. Truly a work of art - Thank you for taking the time and effort to craft something deeply beautiful and sharing it with the rest of us - I will never forget this game.
Last edited by PookyTheMagicalBear on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:10 pm

Post by Iconeum »

Kodak Moment
23/10/2020 Iconeum Alonzo/Bob3141 Mini Normal 2169: random facts Imagine a game where town power faked a guilty that flipped green. Imagine that same game having multiple town fake claiming vanilla town. Imagine that game having a Novice 3-shot vig who, with it's first 2 shots, successfully killed 2 town power roles. Scum were guaranteed to win. 5p LyLo incoming, 2 scum still alive, their deepwolf performs the final act in what was a great fake claim (follower) and comes out with a fake guilty on Alonzo. Alonzo, who previously claimed VT (but who already got shot by the scumteam on Night 2 and survived), remains silent. Players do what they are supposed to do and race to put votes on Alonzo. Scum!Datisi hammers and somehow manages not to gloat too much in twilight. The mod comes online. The thread gets locked. Suspense running through the scumteam where the champagne glasses were already on the table.
They open the spoiler containing Alonzo's flip and read: 'Town Bulletproof Vengefull'.
Silence. Disbelief. Too many questions and thoughts to put in here.
It took Alonzo about 0.006 seconds to send Bob's name in to be Venged.
During Night, the vig uses it's last shot to put a bullet in the last scum's head.
Never before in the History Of MafiaScum has a scumteam been this close to winning, only to see it slip away in a most dramatic fashion.
Town victory.
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
#Town!Ico.never.does.that.
"paying to play mafia is like paying someone to punch you in the face" ~ Datisi
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:40 pm

Post by Iconeum »

added bob to the nominees
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
#Town!Ico.never.does.that.
"paying to play mafia is like paying someone to punch you in the face" ~ Datisi
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Post by SirCakez »

In post 92, davesaz wrote:
Paperback Writer
May 19, 2020 davesaz SirCakez Jigsaw's Revenge All the creepy dialogue and imagery of the Saw movies, complete with diabolical traps and gruesome outcomes, right here wrapped up as a game of Mafia. I loved it all from the first glimpse of a role pm right to the very end.
In post 93, Jingle wrote:
Paperback Writer
May 19, 2020 Jingle SirCakez Jigsaw's Revenge I don't like the Saw franchise. With that said, dave is absolutely right. This game fully encapsulated the spirit of Saw. You can see how much effort went into the design of each individual trap (all 21 of which referenced the movies), the neighborhoods being flavor accurate, the scumteam having both flavor accurate neighborhood membership AND town fakeclaims with neighbor accurate flavor, a sense of urgency that the pace of the game set that was in keeping with the horror theme, and even a role that got to write additional flavor that made sense in the world of the game. Say what you will about the rest of the game, but the flavor was 100% on point and crazy detailed.
In post 95, Almost50 wrote:
Paperback Writer
May 19, 2020 davesaz SirCakez Jigsaw's Revenge All the creepy dialogue and imagery of the Saw movies, complete with diabolical traps and gruesome outcomes, right here wrapped up as a game of Mafia. I loved it all from the first glimpse of a role pm right to the very end.
Seconded (is this the correct way to vote for an already nominated setup/flavour?)
In post 96, davesaz wrote:
In post 95, Almost50 wrote:
Paperback Writer
Seconded (is this the correct way to vote for an already nominated setup/flavour?)
We don't necessarily track this type. It's fine for commentary.
In post 97, Jingle wrote:Yeah, nth's don't really matter unless you do another write up. TBF, that's mostly because the judges have to read all of the nominated games to weigh in on a category and shouldn't just be judging based on who nommed.

I'm sure Cakez appreciates the sentiment though!
OMG I didn't see these until today! Thanks guys! I busted my ass on that game, I'm really glad you liked it!
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:42 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Post of the Year
11/03/2020 D3f3nd3r xRECKONERx This post On July 1, Reck was on a work call of some sort, where he discovered the mascot for the Count On Me NC tourism campaign: Sunny. Once he introduced Sunny to us, we laughed, we memed, we cried (probably), we made him into three emojis on the MS Discord, there was an avatar trend, there was a Mafia game, and so on. At the start of that Mafia game, some players were confused as to what Sunny was since he mainly came up on the Speakeasy, so Reck (a player in that game) wrote this history, letting everyone know that "sunny is everything".
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:44 am

Post by Aristophanes »

I'm doing this at PotY but it could easily be a Kodak as well.

Post of the Year
Mon Sep 14, 2020
Aristophanes xReckonerx Mini Theme 2165: MafiaSunny
This post is a beautiful work of art!

Not only does it give an awesome backstory for Sunny, one which many people did not know but were curious about, it does so in a way which encapsulates the audience. The memes, the writing, the sheer greatness of this post and the reverence to Sunny are fantastic and hilarious. It is both informative and peak meme. It is amazing!

All Hail Sunny!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:45 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Wait GDI You beat me to it!?!?

Grrrrr
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:20 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

White Knight
11/5/20
MURDERCAT
TheGoldenParadox
Bad Idea Mafia III: Still Bad, Less Broken
This game had a unique setup. There was no voting mechanic. Instead of 12 vanilla townies like you might have in a more traditional setup, we had 12 dayvigs. If you are worried about balance, don't be, as scum was a team of 4 with 3 goons and 1 godfather, who also had the ability to shoot during the day (and night). The most critical responsibility for town was placed on the 2 cops who needed to try to find scum despite days lasting a couple of pages at most. Unfortunately, in a huge blow to town, one of the cops was inactive and failed to submit a target on N2. By page 9, 5 townies were dead and all 4 scum were still alive. To even have a chance at a win, town needed a miracle.

This miracle came in the form of TheGoldenParadox, who replaced in during N3. In the morning, the other cop was dead. The game was in TheGoldenParadox's hands. It took them only 7 posts to call out the entire 4 person scum team. Scum, panicking, then shot TGP 2 posts later. Sadly, town didn't have a happy ending worthy of TGP's performance, but I'm not sure what more you could hope to get out a replacement slot.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:37 am

Post by SirCakez »

Mad Scientist
11/11/2020
SirCakez lilith2013 Mini Theme 2164: Betrayal Mafia
Lilith did an amazing job turning the board game Betrayal at House on the Hill into a Mafia game. The stats and dice-rolling elements were brought in perfectly, as was the exploration of the House and its many items and rooms. Everything was deeply flavored and she even came up with a Haunt specific to this run of the game that can be changed out in future iterations. The basic mafia night of (cop check, doctor protect, mafia kill) was completely turned on its head and mutated into a game of Betrayal WITHIN a game of Mafia.

This could also go in Rube Goldberg and Paperback Writer
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:42 am

Post by Jingle »

Disagree on Rube Goldberg, but I’ll probably write up a paperback nom tonight.
This is a Parachute.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Post by Bell »

Master Strategist
September 15th, 2020 Bell Zmuffinman Illicit Substances Mafia
post 7576
Felt this would be a good prompt for others to go forward on throwing their own noms into the category.
This game involved unfamiliar roles such as alien(called an isolator in this game), white mage and 1-shot lightning rod. In Illicit Substances, Zmuffinman correctly identified and derailed scum from soft countering a white mage claim through his knowledge of the set up. He followed up with a plan that isolated the last scum whilst requiring only one correct town read to work.
Overall good analysis of mechanics allowed him to ask the right questions and posit the right answers

First time nomming for a scummy if there's a mistake, lmk.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:37 pm

Post by Alisae »

reminder mostly to me or if anyone who wants to take the mantle that ame, hectic, norwee, kanna, and maybe noraa deserve write ups for rising star.
There might be 1 or 2 individuals I might be forgetting but this is just what comes to mind atm
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Post by Alisae »

Hectic actually got a nom but its been a couple months so maybe more could be added to it.
GTKAS
| here.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 am

Post by Ircher »

The Modfather
November 21, 2020 Ircher Hectic Hectic is a very capable mod who has modded several games this year. Multiple of his games have received nominations for other mdoeration-related awards. While I have not personally gotten to play a Hectic game, from the games I have looked at, Hectic has done an outstanding job. Furthermore, Hectic shows excellence not only in the running of setups, but also in the design of them. Overall, Hectic shows talent in all aspects of modding a game, from the design to the flavor to the smooth operation of such games.

Death Curse
Silent Star 2: Menagerie
Comet I: Kill Switch
Silent Star 1: Lunacy
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Kodak Moment
11/22/2020 PookyTheMagicalBear Noraa Death Curse Three hours before a deadline that would spell certain doom, Bell continued to yammer on and on about how scummy Noraa was. Noraa also unfortunately had a chemistry class that she had not really prepared for at all. Knowing she would need time to turn the game around, Noraa asked Hectic for a deadline extension - no dice.. She knew she had to do something drastic, so she took out a gun and shot Bell in the face... One of the single most hilarious and brazen plays ever made in a game of mafia - Noraa is truly a legend.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:07 am

Post by Menalque »

Paragon
26/11/2020
Menalque
skitter30
I shouldn't really need to say anything to support this nomination, but I will: skitter is well known to be one of the strongest scumplayers on site, but it's also common knowledge that she's got an impressively nuanced and powerful towngame. I've seen it suggested elsewhere, and I would agree, that she's probably the most complete player on site. That is to say, regardless of which alignment she rolls in a game, her team's chances of winning go up significantly.

She should also be commended for the fact that she's fantastically non-toxic. Too often, town players believe that the way forward is to shout over others in order get the flip they want, or slip into rudeness/belittling of other players in heated conflicts. It is to skitter's credit not only as a player, but as a person, that I don't believe I've ever seen her do this in a game. Instead, she works to foment consensus and critically challenging player's scumreads on her, pointing out their illogical reasons for voting her and engaging with them actively to try and bring them round and to refocus the game on scum. This dedication to non-toxicity is commendable, especially as there have been games where her refusal to take away agency from the town as a whole by strong-arming things has led to a townloss as she had a correct read and the others were wrong. I don't think this detracts from the fact that she should be the paragon for this year -- the site has enough people who strong arm games. We should celebrate the excellence of someone who wins without needing to.

I would now like to present some games that I believe support this nomination:

(1) JK9++ -- skitter was one of the players most directly responsible for the town win this game. Relatively early into D1 she caught scum!S_S and applied pressure to him consistently throughout D1. When the game moved into D2, she kept up her scumread on S_S, and made the bold decision to claim her role (vig) to clarify the gamestate which was being tripped up by the assumption that PB was the NK and the implications of that. She was then willing to listen to Blake and work with her to move onto scum!lilith and then she was killed on N2 -- but not before shooting scum!firebringer. The town then misguillotined a couple of times and inter fought before successfully guillotining S_S in mylo for the win; the player we'd have eliminated D1 if we'd listened to skitter a little more closely.

(2) Micro 960: A Year of Miccro's II -- ah, the memories. This was basically a very hard game where scum ultimately won. I include it because skitter was the only one correctly scumreading the worst on D1 and pushing him. This was a game that got /really/ toxic and skitter was one of the people trying to calm it down and keep it on track, successfully identifying me and DkKoba as TvT. Town lost this mostly because of a really badly executed claim from a town player, a fantastic scum fakeclaim from ducky, and some... I'm going to go with the word 'distasteful' AtE from the other scumplayer involved. The game was almost a perfect storm of things going badly for town, but if there was a player who was close to dragging them out of the hole, it was skitt, even if she didn't quite manage it. Even in the final day, she was calling out that things were wrong/off, but sadly they were just a bit too fucked even for her to perceive the precise way things were wrong.

(3) Mini Theme 2164: Betrayal Mafia I -- I didn't play in this, so I'm not as familiar with it as the first two. However, I read a bit. Skitter played as part of a hydra, but was outed by the time she was getting eliminated. What I do know is that as she died with two of the scumteam on her wagon, both of whom she correctly identified as scum and called out for town to focus on once she was revealed. They back-to-back guillotined those two scumbags the following two days, and the game ultimately ended in a town stomp. It's also worth noting that due to the push on her being scum-led, there were a lot of very dumb votes on her hydra. She kept her head, did her best to engage, and pointed town in the right direction even after they misguillotined her in what was definitely a frustrating way.

(4) Silent Star 1: Lunacy -- this was a funky hectic setup where town started off thinking they were scum, only to figure out on D2 that in fact the town flavoured faction were the scum and that all the scum flavoured players were town. Anyway, after that small detail had been worked out, and skitter stopped playing as if she were scum (where she was also coincidentally pushing real scum for looking scummy on D1) she then successively pushed/led on (1) Nahdia!scum (2) Chara!scum and (3) okay, then she got a little unsure, partly due to scum being able to manipulate the flavour and make it look like there was another scum faction -- but even here, she kept dunn!scum in her PoE, and despite getting NK'd N4, she correctly had the final scum nailed down to being in midwaybear or dunn, with town successfully wrapping things up on D6.

There are probably other games I'm missing here due to not being aware of them, but I think this body of work is easily enough to demonstrate why skitter is not only a candidate for paragon but is
the
candidate for 2020.
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 am

2nd on the skitter nom. she is amazing.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:38 am

Post by Alisae »

skitter goated
GTKAS
| here.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:42 am

Post by skitter30 »

<3 :)
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
Gloria Cleary
Gloria Cleary
Mafia Scum
Gloria Cleary
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:49 pm

Post by Gloria Cleary »

In post 142, Ircher wrote:
The Modfather
November 21, 2020 Ircher Hectic Hectic is a very capable mod who has modded several games this year. Multiple of his games have received nominations for other mdoeration-related awards. While I have not personally gotten to play a Hectic game, from the games I have looked at, Hectic has done an outstanding job. Furthermore, Hectic shows excellence not only in the running of setups, but also in the design of them. Overall, Hectic shows talent in all aspects of modding a game, from the design to the flavor to the smooth operation of such games.

Death Curse
Silent Star 2: Menagerie
Comet I: Kill Switch
Silent Star 1: Lunacy
Nth
Gloria Cleary
Gloria Cleary
Mafia Scum
Gloria Cleary
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:49 pm

Post by Gloria Cleary »

In post 143, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
Kodak Moment
11/22/2020 PookyTheMagicalBear Noraa Death Curse Three hours before a deadline that would spell certain doom, Bell continued to yammer on and on about how scummy Noraa was. Noraa also unfortunately had a chemistry class that she had not really prepared for at all. Knowing she would need time to turn the game around, Noraa asked Hectic for a deadline extension - no dice.. She knew she had to do something drastic, so she took out a gun and shot Bell in the face... One of the single most hilarious and brazen plays ever made in a game of mafia - Noraa is truly a legend.
Nth

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”