Newbie 2031 - The Wild Hunt (End!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami
Pronoun: ze/zir

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Post by Noraa »

BAHAHA
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Come play Guess that Scummer OR ELSE
Redados
Redados
Mafia Scum
Redados
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:55 pm

Post by Redados »

In post 12, Redados wrote:...I agree with everything that Mundivore has posted so far, ever. I'm getting severe townpings from them.
said this as just an RVS thing but it's ringing true right now seven pages into the game :]
Satisfaction
Satisfaction
Goon
Satisfaction
Goon
Goon

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Post by Satisfaction »

In post 150, Noraa wrote:BAHAHA
No, "BAAAAH"
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Post by Noraa »

In post 152, Satisfaction wrote:
No, "BAAAAH"
same difference
Redados
Redados
Mafia Scum
Redados
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Post by Redados »

No, "BAAAAH"
Ahem. This is
explicitly
not allowed:
In post 2, fferyllt wrote:
Not even a "Bah" post.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Vote Count 1-5

Sue Massey

Satisfaction
(3): Egix96, ArthurConyl, Not Known 15
ArthurConyl
(3): Satisfaction, Mundivore, Noraa
Bluebell
(1): ClarkBar
ClarkBar
(1): Bluebell

Not Voting
(1): Redados

Not Voting
(0):
None.

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to eliminate.

Deadline: September 29, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2020-09-28 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

- :]
Last edited by fferyllt on Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Post by Noraa »

In post 154, Redados wrote:
No, "BAAAAH"
Ahem. This is
explicitly
not allowed:
Not even a "Bah" post.
its says "after your dead"
Satisfaction
Satisfaction
Goon
Satisfaction
Goon
Goon

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:14 pm

Post by Satisfaction »

In post 153, Noraa wrote:same difference
Hm.
In post 154, Redados wrote:
In post 152, Satisfaction wrote: No, "BAAAAH"
Ahem. This is
explicitly
not allowed:
Not even a "Bah" post.
Haha. Mods take me awayyy :cop:
ArthurConyl
ArthurConyl
Goon
ArthurConyl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:49 pm

Post by ArthurConyl »

In post 144, Redados wrote:
In post 141, Mundivore wrote:Please explain your reasoning for Arthur as scum.
Sure.

Poking at a behavior in RVS, as Arthur did in posts 35 and 37 is healthy because it moves the game forward. This is pro-town behavior.

In post 40, Arthur backs down completely as soon as his line of thinking is questioned. To me, this reads like noob!scum backing away at the slightest hint of pressure. It's not super AI but worth a look in combination with the rest of Arthur's behavior.

Posts 73 and 78 are totally OMGUS.

(Post 86 was disappointing because I felt like he learned the wrong lesson there.)

I also wasn't a huge fan of #93. NK15 literally quoted Arthur's post as reasoning for their vote and then Arthur jumps on this. This is weird jumpy behavior.
I'm going to address this post because it outlines the reasons people are scumreading me.
Post 40: You said that I backed away from pressure. I never found Satisfaction's post to be AI. I was saying that his first post had an odd tone to it. I never expected it to be in any way scum-indicative, simply deserving attention. So backing away from pressure? Nah, I was just agreeing with Noraa.

Post 93: I genuinely felt that this post was odd. NK15 had barely posted and his 3rd or 4th post was to vote for Satisfaction, who I'd already given sound reasons for scumreading. I saw it as very unnecessary pressure - he didn't add anything to the discussion, he just voted and put him at E-1.

Post 86: I stand by what I've learnt from my last two games. Look at them, the town nitpicked minor stuff I did and ended up lynching me. This game seems no different. The most of this town hasn't even contributed as much as I, but I'm the one getting scumread for it. Next game I plan to lie low and at least survive D1.
Egix96
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 pm

Post by Egix96 »

In post 158, ArthurConyl wrote:
In post 144, Redados wrote:
In post 141, Mundivore wrote:Please explain your reasoning for Arthur as scum.
Sure.

Poking at a behavior in RVS, as Arthur did in posts 35 and 37 is healthy because it moves the game forward. This is pro-town behavior.

In post 40, Arthur backs down completely as soon as his line of thinking is questioned. To me, this reads like noob!scum backing away at the slightest hint of pressure. It's not super AI but worth a look in combination with the rest of Arthur's behavior.

Posts 73 and 78 are totally OMGUS.

(Post 86 was disappointing because I felt like he learned the wrong lesson there.)

I also wasn't a huge fan of #93. NK15 literally quoted Arthur's post as reasoning for their vote and then Arthur jumps on this. This is weird jumpy behavior.
I'm going to address this post because it outlines the reasons people are scumreading me.
Post 40: You said that I backed away from pressure. I never found Satisfaction's post to be AI. I was saying that his first post had an odd tone to it. I never expected it to be in any way scum-indicative, simply deserving attention. So backing away from pressure? Nah, I was just agreeing with Noraa.

Post 93: I genuinely felt that this post was odd. NK15 had barely posted and his 3rd or 4th post was to vote for Satisfaction, who I'd already given sound reasons for scumreading. I saw it as very unnecessary pressure - he didn't add anything to the discussion, he just voted and put him at E-1.

Post 86: I stand by what I've learnt from my last two games. Look at them, the town nitpicked minor stuff I did and ended up lynching me. This game seems no different. The most of this town hasn't even contributed as much as I, but I'm the one getting scumread for it. Next game I plan to lie low and at least survive D1.
@Last sentence: How do you expect to improve as a player with that attitude? Deliberately posting less is not an answer to the problem.
Egix96
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Post by Egix96 »

In post 120, Redados wrote:
In post 118, Egix96 wrote:Sigh, I was hoping you wouldn't be like this after last time.
Want to fill everyone else in on what happened last time?
In Newbie 2005, I thought that NK15 was scum for a large part of the game. is not exactly a good look because I was hoping he could be a bit more responsible since then.
Egix96
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Post by Egix96 »

In post 139, Redados wrote:Okay! We can agree on that last part at least.

--

I feel like it's hard to read Egix when he doesn't post very often. I know that this NAI because this is pretty typical behavior from Egix. Egix, can you explain your playstyle a little bit? You and I haven't played together before.
The thing is that I'm usually not very good at coming up with stuff on the spot, so most stuff that I say is in response to other stuff that catches my attention. So, in a word, passive.
As a result, it usually takes a while for me to really get into a game.
ArthurConyl
ArthurConyl
Goon
ArthurConyl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Post by ArthurConyl »

@Last sentence: How do you expect to improve as a player with that attitude? Deliberately posting less is not an answer to the problem.
@Egix
Not posting less, but less controversially. Seems to be working for everyone else here, they're not getting scumread.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:51 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 98, Satisfaction wrote:On the off chance that a wild hammer slips in and I don't get the chance to share, here are all of my notes as of right now:

Noraa (Neutral-town feels. Buddying me or teamwork?)
36: Defends me / dismisses suspicion. Reasonable, townish.
92: Presses Not Known when he votes for me with no comment. Townish, hunting.

Mundivore (low participation)
52: Says what I was thinking re: Arthur suspicion. Pings town, but could be mafia pulling a string.

Bluebell --- no substantive contribution by page 3 (but came in late)
84: she's rhyming, which is fun, but not contributing on page 4

Redados (town or smart scum)
44: "practically everything in RVS is NAI" -- agreed
50: presses Mundivore to weigh in on my intro (hunting or performative towniness)
63: direct, succinct answer to my weak probe. No attitude or defensiveness. Pings town.

ArthurConyl (no read, might be noob scum)
35: Weakly agrees with Egix's weak push on me.
40: Backs down quickly when challenged by Noraa. Testing waters or changing mind?
78: Tries to defend himself. Maybe flustered, maybe floundering to cover backpedal. Read meta.
93: Reacts to Not Known's silent E-1 vote on me. Says he is "begging to be scumread." Does not remove his own vote, leaves me at E-1. Pings scum.

Egix96 (SE) (lurking)
33: First non RVS comment of the game + vote. Page 2. Makes weak poke at me. Hunting?
81: Confirms that his initial vote was supposedly serious. Dismisses backpedaling theory in support of Arthur. Mildly pings scum. Read meta.

ClarkBar (SE) --- no substantive contribution by page 4 (working over the weekend)

Not Known 15 (SE) (mild town, need more)
54: Goes out of his way to weigh in on my intro issue without being pressed directly. Pings town.
90: Votes for me based on Artur's pushback. Only quotes, no comment. I think this is town applying pressure. Buuuut claims to not know the vote count. That seems cavalier but not necessarily scummy.
This was the reaction to E-1.
92: Presses Not Known when he votes for me with no comment. Townish, hunting.
Voting without a comment is a naked vote. I didn't place a naked vote. If I make a quote and then follow with a vote and nothing else I am sheeping that quote. Which means I agree with the reasons for the vote.

Putting out your reads at E-1 is something you can expect from scum(but also from town). However, they have
found
too many things there. At this point, it is likely scum trying to find things to make comments about nearly everyone.
What's worse is that all they have posting since leaving E-1 is posting fluff. Looks like scum being relieved from having been at E-1 and assuming their wagon breaks down.
VOTE: Satisfaction
This is scum.
Vote it out.
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:14 am

Post by Noraa »

In post 162, ArthurConyl wrote:
@Egix
Not posting less, but less controversially. Seems to be working for everyone else here, they're not getting scumread.
Not the way you should be thinking. Doesn't matter if ur town or scum, ur play is scummy and that's something worth thinking about for future games. Lurking aint gonna get u nowhere bud.
Bluebell
Bluebell
Townie
Bluebell
Townie
Townie

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:09 am

Post by Bluebell »

My context: I last played Mafia almost 20 years ago, in a circle in a classroom, with people who knew each other and some of the others' tells. It was so fun!! This is my first go at an online game of anything and it is a trip. I am so glad Day 1 lasts 10 days. I want to avoid cutting it short if possible. Forum mechanics, non-real time group communication, looking up new vocabulary and abbreviations... whoa. I haven't been contributing up to expectations, and appreciate all the technical help and exposure to game play. I also love the flavor of this particular game and so will enjoy messing around with language. Deal with it. Here I go.

What a delicious but dangerous Wild Hunt! (All said in wandering, distracted, delightful, probably musical fairy voice.)

My random vote for the oddly designated Clarkbar remains as I, in my tardy way, personally dally in the first stage of humorously prodding my fellow fairy townspeople to perhaps provoke an unguarded response by the prodded or, by a spectating spy. Some of you have also gambled, I mean gambolled, with this gambit.

I am currently contemplating two of the more communicative companions seemingly unsuspected by my associated sprites...

Nora. A somewhat surly sylph standing firmly in her settlement? Or a scummy goblini-oso whose best defense is a good offense... though I feel it would be premature to pick at this point.

And Redados. A calming community member whose rational chain of reasoning slowly strings together a community cloth of cover from criminals? Or is he a naughty gremlin weaving a nefarious net?

As for the more still and soundless, my next step is to inspect if they are observant obeyers of law or silent snakes.

Regarding this "meta" of which you speak, I have not yet gained glimpses into the previous lives and realities of my current fairy companions. An intriguing intricacy of play possibility into which I wish to initiate an investigation.
Satisfaction
Satisfaction
Goon
Satisfaction
Goon
Goon

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:12 am

Post by Satisfaction »

In post 163, Not Known 15 wrote:This was the reaction to E-1.
To be clear, a reaction to E-1 in a game where we have multiple very quiet participants and we’ve already seen one case of voting-without-counting.
Satisfaction
Satisfaction
Goon
Satisfaction
Goon
Goon

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:17 am

Post by Satisfaction »

In post 163, Not Known 15 wrote:What's worse is that all they have posting since leaving E-1 is posting fluff.
Practically everything in the game since that time has been fluff. Give me something useful to talk about. I think it’s pretty clear that some people are trying and others are coasting.
Satisfaction
Satisfaction
Goon
Satisfaction
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:28 am

Post by Satisfaction »

In post 166, Satisfaction wrote:we’ve already seen one case of voting-without-counting.
Hint. It was @Not Known.
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 am

Post by ClarkBar »

Allrighty. Let me catch up a little. Trying to get a kindergartner to do remote learning is an energy sink.
Satisfaction
Satisfaction
Goon
Satisfaction
Goon
Goon

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:39 am

Post by Satisfaction »

In post 158, ArthurConyl wrote:Next game I plan to lie low and at least survive D1.
I’m not going to try to tell you how to play, but I recognize this feeling. Here is the way I see it: townies who win typically win while dead. Your (town) job isn’t to survive, it’s to die a meaningful death. To progress the game state. Buttoning up and being quiet does not help the town. Force people to get on the record. If somebody is going to mislynch you, make them talk about it.

I guess I did kind of tell you how to play. But I mean it more from the perspective of how I am trying to play. Votes on you don’t mean you’re doing something wrong. They don’t even really necessarily mean somebody thinks you are scum at this point in the game. It might not even be about you. All of that to say, don’t get discouraged. Get hunting. We need you.
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:17 am

Post by Noraa »

In post 170, Satisfaction wrote:
In post 158, ArthurConyl wrote:Next game I plan to lie low and at least survive D1.
I’m not going to try to tell you how to play, but I recognize this feeling. Here is the way I see it: townies who win typically win while dead. Your (town) job isn’t to survive, it’s to die a meaningful death. To progress the game state. Buttoning up and being quiet does not help the town. Force people to get on the record. If somebody is going to mislynch you, make them talk about it.

I guess I did kind of tell you how to play. But I mean it more from the perspective of how I am trying to play. Votes on you don’t mean you’re doing something wrong. They don’t even really necessarily mean somebody thinks you are scum at this point in the game. It might not even be about you. All of that to say, don’t get discouraged. Get hunting. We need you.
this, on the other hand could be pocketing. However it's too early to tell so we'll just say ur trying to be nice :D
Redados
Redados
Mafia Scum
Redados
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:22 am

Post by Redados »

In post 171, Noraa wrote:this, on the other hand could be pocketing. However it's too early to tell so we'll just say ur trying to be nice :D
Satisfaction is playing in a pro-town way and I think that he's town.
Redados
Redados
Mafia Scum
Redados
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:28 am

Post by Redados »

In post 165, Bluebell wrote:My context: I last played Mafia almost 20 years ago, in a circle in a classroom, with people who knew each other and some of the others' tells. It was so fun!! This is my first go at an online game of anything and it is a trip. I am so glad Day 1 lasts 10 days. I want to avoid cutting it short if possible. Forum mechanics, non-real time group communication, looking up new vocabulary and abbreviations... whoa. I haven't been contributing up to expectations, and appreciate all the technical help and exposure to game play. I also love the flavor of this particular game and so will enjoy messing around with language. Deal with it. Here I go.

What a delicious but dangerous Wild Hunt! (All said in wandering, distracted, delightful, probably musical fairy voice.)

My random vote for the oddly designated Clarkbar remains as I, in my tardy way, personally dally in the first stage of humorously prodding my fellow fairy townspeople to perhaps provoke an unguarded response by the prodded or, by a spectating spy. Some of you have also gambled, I mean gambolled, with this gambit.

I am currently contemplating two of the more communicative companions seemingly unsuspected by my associated sprites...

Nora. A somewhat surly sylph standing firmly in her settlement? Or a scummy goblini-oso whose best defense is a good offense... though I feel it would be premature to pick at this point.

And Redados. A calming community member whose rational chain of reasoning slowly strings together a community cloth of cover from criminals? Or is he a naughty gremlin weaving a nefarious net?

As for the more still and soundless, my next step is to inspect if they are observant obeyers of law or silent snakes.

Regarding this "meta" of which you speak, I have not yet gained glimpses into the previous lives and realities of my current fairy companions. An intriguing intricacy of play possibility into which I wish to initiate an investigation.
Who do you think is town and who do you think is scum?
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:34 am

Post by fferyllt »

Noraa has requested replacement. Searching...
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”