Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1875 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:44 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 1873, chennisden wrote:
In post 1869, Menalque wrote:Lili how about voting infinity in the meantime while there’s not a lot else going on
I have to say I'm curious, why do people try to get other people to vote their wagon when said other person clearly is undecided/uninterested

Doesnt it seem counterproductive
Because a not insignificant part of mafia is just getting votes on the people you want

If you can make a scumread top wagon there’s a good chance you get their flip if you can sustain that wagon

And the only real way of seeing pressure is when it’s backed by votes

In this case I also find it interesting that it’s proving very hard to get even a moderate wagon going on infinity in a game where mechanically bussing is v disincentivised
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Flopz
Flopz
Goon
Flopz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1876 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 am

Post by Flopz »

In post 1872, Menalque wrote:
In post 1850, Flopz wrote:I don’t know why they wouldn’t just do that as Town then and try to push in a Townie direction if they believe they can so easily take over the thread.
What do you make of his explanation of why he’s playing the way he is over the last like 2 pages?
Hmmm, it feel genuine to me I think. Like if he was gonna make something up there must be an easier way to do it, that's where I'm leaning rn.
“[Jellyfish] are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful.” ~ Mr. K. Dilkington.
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1877 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 am

Post by chennisden »

I feel that Chenn + Infinity just seem too together this game, especially looking back through the game. With both agreeing together quite often and from both sides.
I also found this fact quite interesting. Note to self: Look at this more later

Anyway in general I think "both are scum" is too strong a claim to make, particularly when other explanations can exist: is one buddying the other? Etc
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1878 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:46 am

Post by chennisden »

In post 1875, Menalque wrote:
In post 1869, Menalque wrote:Lili how about voting infinity in the meantime while there’s not a lot else going on
I have to say I'm curious, why do people try to get other people to vote their wagon when said other person clearly is undecided/uninterested

Because a not insignificant part of mafia is just getting votes on the people you want

If you can make a scumread top wagon there’s a good chance you get their flip if you can sustain that wagon

In this case I also find it interesting that it’s proving very hard to get even a moderate wagon going on infinity in a game where mechanically bussing is v disincentivised
But ur not gonna get votes on ppl that way
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1879 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:46 am

Post by Menalque »

@flopz what do you think the implication for others’ alignments is if infinity!scum? What about if infinity!town?
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #1880 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:46 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 1864, chennisden wrote:
In post 1862, Menalque wrote:Why is koba /not/ a keystone slot to you?
Even though Koba slot is important, I dont actually feel like I can get a lot of leeway or make progress on said slot atm
What does keystone mean
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1881 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:47 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 1878, chennisden wrote:

You’d be surprised how much just asking people repeatedly can do in terms of getting votes
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1882 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:47 am

Post by chennisden »

1849 will help
Flopz
Flopz
Goon
Flopz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1883 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:47 am

Post by Flopz »

In post 1877, chennisden wrote:
I feel that Chenn + Infinity just seem too together this game, especially looking back through the game. With both agreeing together quite often and from both sides.

Anyway in general I think "both are scum" is too strong a claim to make, particularly when other explanations can exist: is one buddying the other? Etc
Which is true, it's why I'm only focussing really on you and Menal's slot rn as I feel you are more likely scum than your possible partners.
“[Jellyfish] are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful.” ~ Mr. K. Dilkington.
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1884 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:47 am

Post by Menalque »

Alternatively, if they won’t vote, you get something by forcing them to take a firm stance on /why/ they won’t vote
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1885 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

Post by chennisden »

In post 1881, Menalque wrote:

You’d be surprised how much just asking people repeatedly can do in terms of getting votes
I mean, at least personally, it feels really insincere, like you're trying to get someone to do what YOU want instead of trying to communicate
Autumn Leaves
Autumn Leaves
Goon
Autumn Leaves
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1886 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

Post by Autumn Leaves »

Mena, is there a reason you think I'm scum besides that I have a strong SR on you out of the gate? It doesn't feel like you're trying to accurately sort me, and it doesn't feel like you're exercising any caution wrt my slot despite talking about how you were wrong about me last time. Especially because you're upset at koba for not being cautious around you in the same way.

I'm not really sure why people are talking about a me/chenn team, like wouldn't that be too obvious? The reasons we have agreed on so much are in the thread, from the time we both SRed auro early on, to the time we both had paranoia and were re-evaluating lots of reads at the same time. I considered that he could be pocketing me, but I think it's more likely we're just both town and have come to similar conclusions about the game.
Team mafia alt of Infinity 324
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1887 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 1883, Flopz wrote:
In post 1877, chennisden wrote:

Which is true, it's why I'm only focussing really on you and Menal's slot rn as I feel you are more likely scum than your possible partners.
Not sure I get why
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1888 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:49 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 1885, chennisden wrote:
In post 1881, Menalque wrote:

I mean, at least personally, it feels really insincere, like you're trying to get someone to do what YOU want instead of trying to communicate
Yes, that is correct, when I ask people to vote for someone I am trying to get them to do what I want
Autumn Leaves
Autumn Leaves
Goon
Autumn Leaves
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1889 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:50 am

Post by Autumn Leaves »

In post 1870, Super wrote:just in my car about to drive but realised autumn has a player on their team that knows me

autumn what's ydrasse's read on me?
Last thing ydrasse said about you was that she was doubting her TR on you. I feel like my teammates don't really have enough time to keep up with the game properly so are trusting my reads to some extent, or are at least influenced by my reads a lot. But I will take into account her first instinct which was that you were town.
Team mafia alt of Infinity 324
Flopz
Flopz
Goon
Flopz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1890 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am

Post by Flopz »

In post 1879, Menalque wrote:@flopz what do you think the implication for others’ alignments is if infinity!scum? What about if infinity!town?
I feel if Infinity is scum, then it's more likely for Chenn to be scum due to associations. Tho if Infinity is Town I feel like at least one of you and Super are scum for your pushes towards them, this will also make Auro more townie as Auro's Super push was based on their reaction to Infinity. Also makes FB more townie as fire has been pretty accomodating to Infinity's "hot takes".
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1891 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:53 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 1886, Autumn Leaves wrote:Mena, is there a reason you think I'm scum besides that I have a strong SR on you out of the gate? It doesn't feel like you're trying to accurately sort me, and it doesn't feel like you're exercising any caution wrt my slot despite talking about how you were wrong about me last time. Especially because you're upset at koba for not being cautious around you in the same way.

I'm not really sure why people are talking about a me/chenn team, like wouldn't that be too obvious? The reasons we have agreed on so much are in the thread, from the time we both SRed auro early on, to the time we both had paranoia and were re-evaluating lots of reads at the same time. I considered that he could be pocketing me, but I think it's more likely we're just both town and have come to similar conclusions about the game.
I mean it’s not just that you’re scumreading me it’s that I made a fair effort (i think) to try to engage you about that read and where it was coming from and I think you avoided that and tried to justify your approach to me by saying “well yeah I am kinda treating you in bad faith but it’s because I’m p confident ur scum” and I think u having that level of confidence about my slot is v unnatural based on what I/my predecessor posted by that point

I also think that my attempt to engage with you off the bat /was/ very indicative of me taking a different approach to you to last game, but again, it’s your reaction to that and lack of desire to try to sort me that is ++scum especially after we managed to get to very strong correct townreads on each other last time

Also nah I don’t think so, a you/chenn team being too obv is just wine, and so long as we get a scumflip on you early then I think it’s a lot of +EV to be had from just getting rid of the wine by elimming the other one too
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1892 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 am

Post by chennisden »

@Flopz I dont really think I agree/understand the last bit because scum can position themselves in multiple places and it's definitely possible fb/super scum would position themselves like that
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1893 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 1890, Flopz wrote:
In post 1879, Menalque wrote:@flopz what do you think the implication for others’ alignments is if infinity!scum? What about if infinity!town?
I feel if Infinity is scum, then it's more likely for Chenn to be scum due to associations. Tho if Infinity is Town I feel like at least one of you and Super are scum for your pushes towards them, this will also make Auro more townie as Auro's Super push was based on their reaction to Infinity. Also makes FB more townie as fire has been pretty accomodating to Infinity's "hot takes".
So if you would get all this info from an infinity flip one way or the other why would it be better to vote me or chenn fypov?
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1894 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 am

Post by chennisden »

Whole good cop bad cop deal
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1895 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 1894, chennisden wrote:Whole good cop bad cop deal
i want to tbe the bad cop tho

SUPER NEEDS TO TRADE
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1896 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 am

Post by lilith2013 »

I honestly cry a bit at every flopz post and if he’s town, I’m struggling to see why
n o o n e
is pushing him
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1897 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am

Post by chennisden »

Talk about this in scum PT instead with your scumteam of Waterbringer and Earthbringer
Flopz
Flopz
Goon
Flopz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1898 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am

Post by Flopz »

As an aside, I think that I’m now happy with an Auro TR, I like his progression through the game, especially with him hounding players to get a better undertstanding of them (e.g Amp, AL) and in a genuine way.

Through his interactions with Lilithm I felt that he wasn’t trying to be overly pedantic and was just having a conversation in his own way.

In regard to his current read on me, I think I can understand where he’s coming from here as while in my mind I was just waiting for the lurkers to post their reads after I pushed them, I wasn’t doing too much else at the same time so I can see what he means

Auro, I’d like to ask if Xtomx also agrees with your current view on me or does he still TR me?
Flopz
Flopz
Goon
Flopz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1899 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am

Post by Flopz »

Just wanted to get that post out there because I kept getting sidetracked

Return to “Team Mafia 2021”