Newbie 2073: Parfait (Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators.
navigatorv
navigatorv
Goon
navigatorv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:38 pm

Post by navigatorv »

You have some valid points, but bare in mind that d1 is arguably the most important day of the game since it lasts longer and no one has any reason to suspect anyone by default on account of no eliminations or suspects from the get-go; it's the most ideal for info gathering. Ending d1 early is a good way to keep town at a disadvantage and depending on how useful your partner is, it could arguably be worth the sacrifice if someone's confident in themselves. It's a huge risk for sure, but if someone's confident in themselves, chances are that doesn't matter to them.
Really all I'm saying is that throwing out the idea just because you view it as unlikely is only going to harm future reads
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Post by Roden »

In post 71, GeneralWu wrote:
In post 68, Roden wrote:I literally just won a scum game doing exactly that lol. I fully expect to get policy elim'd if scum gets voted out Day 1 again.
I just think it's very difficult to recover once one scum member gets eliminated day 1. Probably the only way for scum to recover in that case is to kill a town power role on night 1.

I also think it's a bad idea to policy zgrynibys you solely for the reason you mentioned.
100% agree that me getting policy elim'd is a bad idea lol.

I do agree that it is difficult to recover if you didn't bus your partner. If you're on the wrong side of the vote on a Day 1 scum elim and PRs are still floating around, it's pretty much just GG.
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:55 pm

Post by Roden »

As an aside, I know we're still early in the game but I want to hear more from Catboi and StG. StG just isn't saying much, and Catboi is a really strong town player from what I've seen so I'm surprised he hasn't been more active. 2061 was a very impressive and entertaining town win and I've been hoping to get in a game with him ever since reading it.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:14 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

VC 1.02

MegAzumarill (1):
Roden
T3 (2):
Val89, shwinnebego
GeneralWu (3):
MegAzumarill, catboi, T3
catboi (1):
Save The Dragons

Not Voting:
GeneralWu, navigatorv

With
players remaining,
votes to eliminate

Deadline:
(expired on 2021-07-25 22:43:37)
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:44 am

Post by T3 »

In post 73, GeneralWu wrote:
In post 69, navigatorv wrote:T3 still gives me weird vibes, but I think that might be because he reminds me of a player in my other game who turned out to be scum. Actually analyzing what he's said so far though seems to lean slightly townish. Things like asking what color a person's role was (there should only be two going by the sample PMs and scum would already know what everyone's is if that's the case) and pointing out problems with Wu's posts. None of that's definitive, but it has made me a bit less wary if nothing else.
Honestly, I also think T3 is a bit weird. It's a bit suspicious how he just voted me for townreading people and not elaborating further, even though when I made those reads there weren't many posts and thus not much to explain. I also think it's a bit weird how he said navigator is locktown, because I wouldn't locktown anybody so early in the game.
It's not really weird to locktown people this early in the game. I also think Roden is towny for conceding on the nav read and sugesting he be policy limmed if there's a scumflip.
GeneralWu
GeneralWu
Goon
GeneralWu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:07 am

Post by GeneralWu »

Why is it not weird to locktown people this early in the game? If you locktown people this early, you might not consider the possibility of your being mistaken.

Also how is Roden towny for suggesting he be policy zgrynibysed?
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:11 am

Post by T3 »

I'm confident that nav is town.
navigatorv
navigatorv
Goon
navigatorv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:00 am

Post by navigatorv »

In post 80, GeneralWu wrote:Also how is Roden towny for suggesting he be policy zgrynibysed?
Take it from someone that did something similar in my first game, asking to be eliminated reads as incredibly towny on this forum since most scum have too much self preservation to risk anyone actually following through. Basically if someone says they wouldn't have a problem being eliminated there's room for doubt, but if someone actively encourages their elimination if things play out a certain way, the chances of them being town are higher.
Obviously that doesn't work with games that have unusual roles or modifiers like vengeful and there's a chance that scum might just be willing to take the risk, but those are circumstances that aren't likely to happen in a newbie game so to most people it reads as a town action
navigatorv
navigatorv
Goon
navigatorv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:08 am

Post by navigatorv »

(Also sorry for writing paragraphs all the time, I like to go into detail woth my thoughts and can go overboard sometimes ^^')
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:42 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

I'm just giving my current thoughts to the game here.
Catboi and StD really need to post more to give some input
GeneralWu you should probably try to give some scumreads considering you are at E-2, you need to propose an alternative.
Roden, T3 and Catboi are my townreads atm. My scumreads are navigatorv, std and Wu.

SR on navigatorvI have often seen scum waiting to vote until they start seeing where town falls
SR on WU because of the above statement, and what I had already mentioned
SR on StD for generally not providing input
Imprefection is the spice of life.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:45 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

Hold up- shwinnebego exists
Please give your thoughts/reads as well
Imprefection is the spice of life.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:26 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

In post 59, GeneralWu wrote:This has nothing to do with the game; but for the people with anime avatars, what are the names of the characters in your avatars? I'm really curious.
Master Splinter
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:27 am

In post 69, navigatorv wrote:Save the Dragons (imma just call you StG from here on for the sake of ease) has only posted twice, but I am curious why he ignored Catboi's question? It could just be that he missed it so I don't think that's AI atm but it is something I'm curious about.
i definitely missed it hold up
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:28 am

In post 28, catboi wrote:That a for real vote, or just RVS playing around?
a real RVS OMGUS vote
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:32 am

why am i getting called STG? STD is fine been called that since my first newbie years and years ago
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:34 am

GeneralWu just seems to be trying to pocket people, i'll hold off on voting though as it looks like they're E-2
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:35 am

i'm generally a busy guy so i may go periods of time without saying much

T3 and Navigator seem town to me, still reading the rest of y'all
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:52 am

Post by T3 »

In post 89, Save The Dragons wrote:why am i getting called STG? STD is fine been called that since my first newbie years and years ago
Sexually Transmitted Disease [STD]
is worse than Save the Goats [STG]
navigatorv
navigatorv
Goon
navigatorv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 am

Post by navigatorv »

Tbh that was a typo on my part but T3 brings up a good point lmao
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:56 pm

Post by catboi »

Fair warning: this post is pure filler with no game-advancing content whatsoever.
In post 53, MegAzumarill wrote:I have had a lot of experience with mafia, but mostly in real-time formats. A lot of what applies to there doesn't apply here. (the games are played in a much different way.)
Although I do have some experience with the rolelists used on this site from another site that used some of the same rolelists, this kind of forum game is new.
Conclusion: I am going to mess up everything rather than be confused.
It's the perfect storm of thinking I know what I am doing and getting everything wrong.
Played on chat-based sites, then? I started off the same way, played a few years on the aforementioned Epicmafia (RIP) before trying forum games. There's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to analyzing posts but if you're familiar with the general gameplay it's not too tough. (although I still haven't learned how to scumhunt, Lmao)
In post 59, GeneralWu wrote:This has nothing to do with the game; but for the people with anime avatars, what are the names of the characters in your avatars? I'm really curious.
This is where I get exposed as a fraud - it's a character from a visual novel that hasn't been translated to English. I just like the way he looks!
In post 70, Roden wrote:
For mine, their name is Raqio. They're from a game called Gnosia, which is basically half visual novel and half single player Mafia in space. Mafia vs AI sounds like it wouldn't work, but all characters have legitimate tells while still being programmed to try to trick you. It's honestly really fun and intriguing, and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Mafia style games.
I saw that streamed once before, interesting concept but felt like it being mostly procedural would get old when I'm used to the dynamism of playing with real people.
In post 92, T3 wrote:
In post 89, Save The Dragons wrote:why am i getting called STG? STD is fine been called that since my first newbie years and years ago
Sexually Transmitted Disease [STD]
is worse than Save the Goats [STG]
I mean, what do you think his user title is referencing?
GeneralWu
GeneralWu
Goon
GeneralWu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:06 pm

Post by GeneralWu »

In post 82, navigatorv wrote:
In post 80, GeneralWu wrote:Also how is Roden towny for suggesting he be policy zgrynibysed?
Take it from someone that did something similar in my first game, asking to be eliminated reads as incredibly towny on this forum since most scum have too much self preservation to risk anyone actually following through. Basically if someone says they wouldn't have a problem being eliminated there's room for doubt, but if someone actively encourages their elimination if things play out a certain way, the chances of them being town are higher.
Obviously that doesn't work with games that have unusual roles or modifiers like vengeful and there's a chance that scum might just be willing to take the risk, but those are circumstances that aren't likely to happen in a newbie game so to most people it reads as a town action
If you're a townie, you know 100% that you're town, so if you get zgrynibysed you know that town will 100% lose one member.
I'd say that asking to be zgrynibysed is NAI because both town and scum have strong motivations for not wanting to be zgrynibysed.
GeneralWu
GeneralWu
Goon
GeneralWu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:09 pm

Post by GeneralWu »

In post 81, T3 wrote:I'm confident that nav is town.
Why though?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:09 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 77, Roden wrote:As an aside, I know we're still early in the game but I want to hear more from Catboi and StG. StG just isn't saying much, and Catboi is a really strong town player from what I've seen so I'm surprised he hasn't been more active. 2061 was a very impressive and entertaining town win and I've been hoping to get in a game with him ever since reading it.
Oh gosh, didn't realize I had a fan. 。(*^▽^*)ゞ

For real though, for most of that game I felt like I was a huge mess, and only barely recovered at the end, in part because I was in a position where the two other town players were likely clear to me and so I was best positioned to figure out the truth. In the newbie games I've played since returning to the site, the early game has not been a strength for me - I'm still trying to work out the best way to provoke discussion and move things forward without dominating the conversation or causing misunderstandings. I work better when there's more evidence to analyze, which is why I like replacing in. My approach to this game is still undecided, in an ideal world I'd hang back from an ivory tower and watch things play out before passing judgments, but if the game isn't moving enough I'll have to nudge things things along

(as for why I was inactive, though, I didn't feel like posting on friday night)

For you, anyway, I feel like most of your posts have been giving off something of a 'neutral' vibe - you've been avoiding ruffling any feathers with the stuff you've been saying and that won't do for me. I want to hit me with your strongest opinion right now - if you absolutely HAD to guess someone as scum right now, who would it be?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:12 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 90, Save The Dragons wrote:GeneralWu just seems to be trying to pocket people, i'll hold off on voting though as it looks like they're E-2
Hmm, where do you see him as trying to "pocket" anyone? I don't really get that feeling from his play at all.
GeneralWu
GeneralWu
Goon
GeneralWu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Post by GeneralWu »

What's pocket again?
I remember hearing this word before but I haven't played mafia in so long that I've forgotten what it means.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”