Miss Midnight
Goon
Miss Midnight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1200 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:09 pm

Post by Miss Midnight »

In post 1197, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1193, Harvey and Haley wrote:As I was saying earlier, it feels lazy and devoid of any further thought.
I mean he specifically referenced the existence of further thought... why not ask about his other reasons, instead of assuming he has none?
This isn't 20 questions, or an interview. I agree that it's good to ask people questions to actually see what they think when sorting them. But what someone doesn't post is just as much evidence for their alignment as what they do post. Sometimes, it's actually a lot more evidence.
Miss Midnight
Miss Midnight
Goon
Miss Midnight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1201 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:10 pm

Post by Miss Midnight »

In post 1198, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1196, Miss Midnight wrote:Primarily I think that that post is scummy for the way that it's phrased, and the lack of corresponding evidence.
You think that townies are more likely to give explanations for their reads unprompted? That's, uh, a take I guess.

(It's not a crazy thing to think, but I would have to believe that it's mostly personality indicative.)
Let me be clear. When I say "corresponding evidence", I'm not talking about an explanation paired with the vote. I'm talking about the rest of the content in his ISO corresponding to what he's saying in that specific post.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1202 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:10 pm

Post by House »

In post 1194, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1191, House wrote:I'm not a fan of this statement.

Not that i disagree about not needing an ironclad case on d1, just that the way it's put across as an, "any lim'll do" kinda vibe.
You can disagree with it for sure, but it's probably game-philosophy indicative and not alignment indicative. I say this because this seems consistent with how Titus normally thinks (though I don't remember her saying this specifically), and it also happens to be my philosophy.
Fair point.
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1203 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:11 pm

Post by House »

In post 1200, Miss Midnight wrote:
In post 1193, Harvey and Haley wrote:As I was saying earlier, it feels lazy and devoid of any further thought.
I mean he specifically referenced the existence of further thought... why not ask about his other reasons, instead of assuming he has none?
This isn't 20 questions, or an interview. I agree that it's good to ask people questions to actually see what they think when sorting them. But what someone doesn't post is just as much evidence for their alignment as what they do post. Sometimes, it's actually a lot more evidence.
Ew.

This post gives me the icks.

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1204 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:12 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 1201, Miss Midnight wrote:Let me be clear. When I say "corresponding evidence", I'm not talking about an explanation paired with the vote. I'm talking about the rest of the content in his ISO corresponding to what he's saying in that specific post.
Okay? So what, he's scummy for putting a vote down without having explained the read ahead of time? Why is he more likely to do that as scum than town? Don't scum usually go to greater lengths to appear to have a consistent progression?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Harvey and Haley
Harvey and Haley
Goon
Harvey and Haley
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1205 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:14 pm

Post by Harvey and Haley »

In post 1195, House wrote:He may have been. Given the circumstances, that alone is not scum indicative.
Sure.
Enchant also goes from "Not much" () to "Idk" () to "Why not?" ()
Manatee goes from "Don't wanna weaken the wagon" () to "Manatee's handling of her wagon seems towny" () to "TR starting to wane" ().
Neither of these trajectories look any impressive either.
Something_Smart wrote:
And I acknowledge that in my post. Two things: first, in that sentence, I meant thought regarding other players' suspicions on me; second, I knew he had other reasons for suspecting me - as I pointed out, my problem is that he didn't express them in that post, that addition alone, from his PoV could have strengthened the attack. Instead it just looks like he's lazily voteparking after seeing other people suspect me.

-Harvey
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1206 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:16 pm

Post by House »

In post 1205, Harvey and Haley wrote:
In post 1195, House wrote:He may have been. Given the circumstances, that alone is not scum indicative.
Sure.
Enchant also goes from "Not much" () to "Idk" () to "Why not?" ()
Manatee goes from "Don't wanna weaken the wagon" () to "Manatee's handling of her wagon seems towny" () to "TR starting to wane" ().
Neither of these trajectories look any impressive either.
Enchant read it's waffle-ish, but given that it's d1, that is whatevs.

I truly loathe his progression on Manatee, though. That has bothered me for a long time.

Miss Midnight
Miss Midnight
Goon
Miss Midnight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1207 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:18 pm

Post by Miss Midnight »

In post 1203, House wrote:
Ew.

The basic point is undeniable. You probably agree with me. Obviously it's a good thing to ask people to elaborate on their thoughts. If you're expecting some behavior or content from someone as town and they don't display it, that's a reason to scumread someone. Lack of content is as much evidence as some content is. I don't think any of this is controversial, or contradictory.
In post 1204, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1201, Miss Midnight wrote:Let me be clear. When I say "corresponding evidence", I'm not talking about an explanation paired with the vote. I'm talking about the rest of the content in his ISO corresponding to what he's saying in that specific post.
Okay? So what, he's scummy for putting a vote down without having explained the read ahead of time? Why is he more likely to do that as scum than town? Don't scum usually go to greater lengths to appear to have a consistent progression?
You seem to be making this about "explanations" for some reason. I'm not sure why. You've brought it up twice. It's not about explanations, as I just said. It's about the content missing from his ISO that I would expect, assuming the read on HH were real. Again, that's what I mean by "corresponding evidence".
Harvey and Haley
Harvey and Haley
Goon
Harvey and Haley
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1208 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:20 pm

In post 1206, House wrote:Enchant read it's waffle-ish, but given that it's d1, that is whatevs.
Doesn't it seem like a pattern of him simply piling on popular wagons?
See people suspecting H+H -> Vote them
See people wagoning Enchant -> "idk" progresses to "why not" and then "probably"
See people start to wagon Miss Midnight -> "ngl I feel like miss midnight might be scum"

-Harvey
Miss Midnight
Miss Midnight
Goon
Miss Midnight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1209 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Post by Miss Midnight »

Pardon me if I sound offended S_S, but for the level of charitability you seem willing to display in , posts like and seem to have a remarkably uncharitable tone. Do you think that I'm scum?
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1210 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:23 pm

Post by House »

In post 1207, Miss Midnight wrote:
In post 1203, House wrote:
Ew.

The basic point is undeniable. You probably agree with me. Obviously it's a good thing to ask people to elaborate on their thoughts. If you're expecting some behavior or content from someone as town and they don't display it, that's a reason to scumread someone. Lack of content is as much evidence as some content is. I don't think any of this is controversial, or contradictory.
The way you put it across makes it sound like it's acceptable to just scumread someone because they're not being transparent with their thought processes, and sometimes there is a protown reason for that.

Seeking clarity is always ideal. A person's words should absolve or condemn them, not their lack of words.

Without their stated opinions/thoughts/beliefs/etc, we're only projecting what we want to believe to be true, and that is not protown.

Harvey and Haley
Harvey and Haley
Goon
Harvey and Haley
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1211 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:23 pm

In post 691, Gamma Emerald wrote:Neat
Also while I kinda jumped at shadows on interpreting what the RQS was doing I think Flea is right that it was pointless filler
In post 692, Gamma Emerald wrote:Literally the only thing I’ve seen come of it was a shitty “gotcha” scumread on me which feels very easy to fake as scum
Miss Midnight: I'll just point out that this^ seemed to have been important part of his reasoning.
(And this reasoning also sucks, the 'gotcha' seems pretty valid, and easy to fake as scum doesn't imply scum indicative)

-Harvey
Miss Midnight
Miss Midnight
Goon
Miss Midnight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1212 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Post by Miss Midnight »

In post 1210, House wrote:The way you put it across makes it sound like it's acceptable to just scumread someone because they're not being transparent with their thought processes, and sometimes there is a protown reason for that.
There's a difference between not being transparent and not producing content because you're scum. That's the key distinction to keep in mind.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1213 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Post by House »

In post 1208, Harvey and Haley wrote:
In post 1206, House wrote:Enchant read it's waffle-ish, but given that it's d1, that is whatevs.
Doesn't it seem like a pattern of him simply piling on popular wagons?
See people suspecting H+H -> Vote them
See people wagoning Enchant -> "idk" progresses to "why not" and then "probably"
See people start to wagon Miss Midnight -> "ngl I feel like miss midnight might be scum"

-Harvey
Researching the validity of this post will require more time and brainpower than i have to dedicate to it, tonight.

I have to work early in the am, so this bit will have to wait.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1214 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Post by House »

In post 1212, Miss Midnight wrote:
In post 1210, House wrote:The way you put it across makes it sound like it's acceptable to just scumread someone because they're not being transparent with their thought processes, and sometimes there is a protown reason for that.
There's a difference between not being transparent and not producing content because you're scum. That's the key distinction to keep in mind.
In post 1210, House wrote:Seeking clarity is always ideal. A person's words should absolve or condemn them, not their lack of words.

Without their stated opinions/thoughts/beliefs/etc, we're only projecting what we want to believe to be true, and that is not protown.
There's the rest of that quote, since you seem to have missed it.

If the player is asked & refuses to answer, that refusal is still content on which to base an opinion. Not even asking and assuming the worst, however, is suboptimal okay at the most generous level (and yes, it's something i do sometimes... but recognizing weaknesses is all part of self-improvement).

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1215 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:30 pm

In post 1207, Miss Midnight wrote:You seem to be making this about "explanations" for some reason. I'm not sure why. You've brought it up twice. It's not about explanations, as I just said. It's about the content missing from his ISO that I would expect, assuming the read on HH were real. Again, that's what I mean by "corresponding evidence".
I'm just misunderstanding what you're getting at, I guess. You can't know what's in Gamma's head, you can only know what he's said. So you can't have an issue with what he has or hasn't
thought
, only what he has or hasn't
explained
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1216 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:30 pm

Post by House »

In post 1214, House wrote:
In post 1212, Miss Midnight wrote:
In post 1210, House wrote:Seeking clarity is always ideal. A person's words should absolve or condemn them, not their lack of words.

There's the rest of that quote, since you seem to have missed it.

If the player is asked & refuses to answer, that refusal is still content on which to base an opinion. Not even asking and assuming the worst, however, is suboptimal play* at the most generous level (and yes, it's something i do sometimes... but recognizing weaknesses is all part of self-improvement).
Edit.

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1217 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:32 pm

In post 1209, Miss Midnight wrote:Pardon me if I sound offended S_S, but for the level of charitability you seem willing to display in , posts like and seem to have a remarkably uncharitable tone. Do you think that I'm scum?
I don't see what's uncharitable about 1204, 1198 I'll give you is uncharitable, but I thought I had (finally) understood you correctly. I don't think you're scum.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1218 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:37 pm

Post by House »

*twitch*

Cat Scratch Fever
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1219 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:27 pm

Post by Cat Scratch Fever »

In post 1160, Harvey and Haley wrote:
In post 1119, Cat Scratch Fever wrote: My unsolicited opinion is- I thought it was a bit odd that out of the two people voting for you, you called out Gamma for having a limited variety of interactions lol. I'm curious to hear what your thoughts on Flea are, since the bulk of their interactions have been at or about you.
Good observation. I have experience playing with Gamma and his lack of overall nuance and meaningful interaction strike me as concerning, and (IIRC) no experience with Flea.
Flea's entire attack also seems genuine
, even if it's incorrect; and without a baseline I don't find it particularly suspicious in a vacuum. Do
you
make something out of Flea's hyperfocus on me?

-Harvey
Genuine as in fae believes in it or fae has made some valid points?

With respect to my opinion on Flea, I'm thinking the tunneling could be chalked up to playstyle. I've been biding my time on this, but I suppose at nearly 50 pages into the game, now is the time to do some cursory legwork and read some of faer past games. Before doing my metacheck, I'd say lean town - posts like strike me as more of post town would make over a scumpost trying to push a miselim. But this read is not without its caveats; specifically, why has fae singled you out? The reasons she's scumreading you for doesn't seem particularly unique to you. I myself have asked a few questions that I have not bothered to follow up on in the thread, but fae seems to have zeroed in on your behavior. I suppose answers some of it but not really in a way that I can grok yet.

I think your tempered reaction is more interesting. It kind of seems like you're continually trying to disengage and are content with letting fae continue this tunnel. You never seemed the type to shy away from an argument in the past, especially when it comes to arguing your own alignment. If you're townreading fae (or at least, not scumreading), why not try to get them to focus elsewhere so they don't loltunnel you all day?
Cat Scratch Fever
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1220 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:40 pm

In post 1201, Miss Midnight wrote:
In post 1198, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1196, Miss Midnight wrote:Primarily I think that that post is scummy for the way that it's phrased, and the lack of corresponding evidence.
You think that townies are more likely to give explanations for their reads unprompted? That's, uh, a take I guess.

(It's not a crazy thing to think, but I would have to believe that it's mostly personality indicative.)
Let me be clear. When I say "corresponding evidence", I'm not talking about an explanation paired with the vote. I'm talking about the rest of the content in his ISO corresponding to what he's saying in that specific post.
What do you think of my vote on you? Or the worst's? Are those materially different from Gamma's vote?
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1221 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Post by Auro »

As in fae believes in it. I said I think it's all incorrect anyway, no? :P

I've noted before that while I'd enjoy walling against Flea's attack, I think it's inefficient (). I doubt that longer posts justifying my own play would cause fae to get out of the tunnel. I'm not too bothered by it because I lightly townread them anyway, and I think fae is beginning to shift focus anyway (look at recent engagement re: Gamma Emerald).

-Harvey
Harvey and Haley
Harvey and Haley
Goon
Harvey and Haley
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1222 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:54 pm

In post 1221, Auro wrote:As in fae believes in it. I said I think it's all incorrect anyway, no? :P

I've noted before that while I'd enjoy walling against Flea's attack, I think it's inefficient (). I doubt that longer posts justifying my own play would cause fae to get out of the tunnel. I'm not too bothered by it because I lightly townread them anyway, and I think fae is beginning to shift focus anyway (look at recent engagement re: Gamma Emerald).

-Harvey
Whoops.
Cat Scratch Fever
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1223 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:20 pm

I'm not saying you have to wall (in fact, please don't), but I guess I expected you to distill it down to a couple of points and nip it in the bud or something.
Cat Scratch Fever
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1224 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:22 pm

Although looking back, I missed that post where you asked for specific posts to respond to. I'm not sure if that changes how weird I find this entire interaction.

Return to “Completed Open Games”