Drawn from Memory

Datisi
it/he
Drawn from Memory

Drawn from Memory

Pronoun: it/he

Post Post #1150 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:42 am

Post by Datisi »

In post 1147, UNOwen wrote: We already know why meowth thinks it’s scummy, he said that in his post. “Non-committal”. Not a good reason.
i find that usually there's more thought for people's reads then purely what they said in the thread, but sure -- even if the reason is solely "the post is non-committal, therefore it's scummy" there can be multiple reasons why someone could think that that post itself is scummy for being non-committal. like, again, i don't wanna be putting words in his mouth, but i don't think "he said it's non-committal, therefore he excepts everyone to have a read on everyone by that point in the game, that's unreasonable, therefore he's scum" is a good conclusion to take from it. it feels like you're trying to take the worst implication from it.
I will straight up disregard all reason if you have a PR dream again. You can come back and be like, “I dreamt that Locke is a N2 Bulletproof Multitasking Cop and Self-Targeting Doctor,” and I will go, “Okay, Locke kill it is then.”
~M
Datisi
Datisi
it/he
Drawn from Memory

Datisi
it/he
Drawn from Memory

Drawn from Memory

Post Post #1151 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:44 am

Post by Datisi »

and inb4 "i didn't say he thinks everyone should have a read on everyone by that point" i know. but it is the only potential solution you're putting forward in 1142
I will straight up disregard all reason if you have a PR dream again. You can come back and be like, “I dreamt that Locke is a N2 Bulletproof Multitasking Cop and Self-Targeting Doctor,” and I will go, “Okay, Locke kill it is then.”
~M
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1152 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:46 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1148, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 1146, Ausuka wrote: why are constructed sentences scummy
:neutral:
:neutral:

do you guys usually play scum by constructing your sentences really hard? I don't think that's an effective strategy but maybe I'm out of the loop
Reach for my hand, I'll soar away into the dawn
UNOwen
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1153 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:48 am

Post by UNOwen »

+1 to GL face pulling

Datisi you are lost. Meow thing doesn’t expect everyone to have a firm opinion but therefore there’s no reason for that specific non-committance to be scummy.
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1154 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:49 am

Post by furtiveglance »

In post 1094, Lady Lambdadelta wrote: Hello friends I return from my dead brain.

I'm going to spend a lot of today writing on things that aren't mafia because I want to accomplish something today, but tonight I will be around and I'd love to do some live interaction style with players to generate better reads on them? Reading back is something I'll do in due time.

As for plans in the elected thread, they're coming along smoothly. I have some choice paralysis to overcome and make but I feel confident we can do powerful things.
I also have something (work :() to do today
Datisi
Datisi
it/he
Drawn from Memory

Datisi
it/he
Drawn from Memory

Drawn from Memory

Post Post #1155 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:50 am

Post by Datisi »

In post 1153, UNOwen wrote: Meow thing doesn’t expect everyone to have a firm opinion but therefore there’s no reason for that specific non-committance to be scummy.
that is not how mafia works but i am not going to be making answers for him
~M
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1156 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:50 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 1152, Ausuka wrote: do you guys usually play scum by constructing your sentences really hard? I don't think that's an effective strategy but maybe I'm out of the loop
when you are scum you are fabricating your thought processes and that inherently leads to a greater chance of 'constructed sentences'. there's a second order thinking to everything you post ('what is my read on this player, does this post sound believable/real, who am I trying to miseliminate/pocket, etc) that doesn't exist when you are town and makes you more likely to sound a bit robotic/awkward with how you phrase your fake thoughts.

yes, better scum players are able to more convincingly hip fire takes or sound natural but it should be pretty obvious why someone might think a sentence that uses "I think I lean [...] I think" is more likely to come from a player who is making up what they think versus naturally expressing it.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Post Post #1157 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:52 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1156, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 1152, Ausuka wrote: do you guys usually play scum by constructing your sentences really hard? I don't think that's an effective strategy but maybe I'm out of the loop
when you are scum you are fabricating your thought processes and that inherently leads to a greater chance of 'constructed sentences'. there's a second order thinking to everything you post ('what is my read on this player, does this post sound believable/real, who am I trying to miseliminate/pocket, etc) that doesn't exist when you are town and makes you more likely to sound a bit robotic/awkward with how you phrase your fake thoughts.

yes, better scum players are able to more convincingly hip fire takes or sound natural but it should be pretty obvious why someone might think a sentence that uses "I think I lean [...] I think" is more likely to come from a player who is making up what they think versus naturally expressing it.
Do people actually play scum this way? Like don't you already know what your reads are and what angle you're coming from when you write a post

Whatever
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1158 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:53 am

Post by furtiveglance »

In post 1156, GuiltyLion wrote:

I think it's possible that there's a chance people
could
be reading into this
a bit
too much? Because sometimes I'm indecisive as town when I'm genuinely thinking...or sometimes I pretend to think as scum...not sure where I land on this one. Just my 2 cents anyway :thinking:
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Post Post #1159 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:53 am

Post by Ausuka »

I think that I will lean towards posting things that I think in this style so I can think harder and show my leanings
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Post Post #1160 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:54 am

Post by Ausuka »

I don't particularly think it's scummy anymore though
UNOwen
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
UNOwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1161 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:55 am

Post by UNOwen »

In post 1158, furtiveglance wrote: I think it's possible that there's a chance people
could
be reading into this
a bit
too much? Because sometimes I'm indecisive as town when I'm genuinely thinking...or sometimes I pretend to think as scum...not sure where I land on this one. Just my 2 cents anyway :thinking:
Snark = scum? :P :P
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Post Post #1162 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:56 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1160, Ausuka wrote: I don't particularly think it's scummy anymore though
Oh no I said the t word
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Post Post #1163 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:56 am

Post by Ausuka »

ok maybe that one was unnecessary
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1164 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:56 am

Post by furtiveglance »

In post 1161, UNOwen wrote:
In post 1158, furtiveglance wrote: I think it's possible that there's a chance people
could
be reading into this
a bit
Snark = scum? :P :P
I've done a bit of keen bean as well though, which you lack
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1165 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:59 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

it's not about whether you know ahead of writing the post what you want to say, it's just that what you're saying is inherently
not what you actually think
and so the post is more likely to be expressed artificially and over-use of phrases like "I think" might happen because when you're town you don't need to say "I think" because you just... actually think it

I feel I must be misunderstanding you somehow, do you really mean to argue that there aren't semantic tells between town and scum? you post the exact same way as either alignment?

@furtive - I agree town is often indecisive too, I personally don't think Ausuka's original post was scum-indicative, but the question she's asking strikes me as weird - even if you disagree with UNOwen's assessment of that post, it shouldn't be controversial to suggest that a sentence that feels artificial or like it was produced under unnecessary cognitive load is scummy
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Post Post #1166 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:03 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1165, GuiltyLion wrote: it's not about whether you know ahead of writing the post what you want to say, it's just that what you're saying is inherently
and so the post is more likely to be expressed artificially and over-use of phrases like "I think" might happen because when you're town you don't need to say "I think" because you just... actually think it

I feel I must be misunderstanding you somehow, do you really mean to argue that there aren't semantic tells between town and scum? you post the exact same way as either alignment?

@furtive - I agree town is often indecisive too, I personally don't think Ausuka's original post was scum-indicative, but the question she's asking strikes me as weird - even if you disagree with UNOwen's assessment of that post, it shouldn't be controversial to suggest that a sentence that feels artificial or like it was produced under unnecessary cognitive load is scummy
I'm not saying I post the exact same way as either alignment, although I'm not really aware of any differences I think it's definitely possible there's something I know about.

Frankly I do think scumreading people for saying 'I think' is pretty absurd, would have about rand accuracy rate, and not something I recall coming across
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Post Post #1167 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:03 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1166, Ausuka wrote:
In post 1165, GuiltyLion wrote: it's not about whether you know ahead of writing the post what you want to say, it's just that what you're saying is inherently

I'm not saying I post the exact same way as either alignment, although I'm not really aware of any differences I think it's definitely possible there's something I don't know about.

Frankly I do think scumreading people for saying 'I think' is pretty absurd, would have about rand accuracy rate, and not something I recall coming across
I'm honestly willing to move on from this anyway
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1168 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:03 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

ok but you're misrepresenting his point, it's not that you said "I think", it's that you said "I think" twice in the same sentence and also the first one was that you "think" that you "lean"
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1169 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:04 am

Post by Bingle »

In post 1140, Lady Lambdadelta wrote: okay but this information can come out later
This information absolutely needs to come out before the election on D2, and should come out before we decide whether to take the game off of evens today. What you're proposing is to attempt to hide the roles that exist in the game from scum so that scum can't manipulate them to their advantage when the overwhelming probability is that scum already has that info. As for your "We elected on reads, so actual numbers higher" argument, we elected self nominated people in pools of three. BloodBot literally ran unopposed, and Enchant had a landslide victory despite virtually no consensus on their alignment. If you think scum wasn't happy with the way the election panned out you're kidding yourself, because there was very little in the way of actually trying to argue election results.

There is utility in preventing scum from knowing exactly which JOAT has, say, protective abilities, if we're in the incredibly unlikely case that we actually have a pure council. There is more utility in town knowing that there is a JOAT with protective abilities. There's a reason massclaim can break setups, and we're in a setup where scum can't handle the problem via shooting the individual PRs.

And no duh I think I should have access to the mechanical information. I made that clear like a week ago when I said I didn't see a reason to run for the council when the information the council has should basically all be made public anyway.

What tangible gain do you expect to see from not sharing roles?
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Ausuka
she/her
Community Contributor

Community Contributor

Post Post #1170 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:08 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1168, GuiltyLion wrote: ok but you're misrepresenting his point, it's not that you said "I think", it's that you said "I think" twice in the same sentence and also the first one was that you "think" that you "lean"
k
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Post Post #1171 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:09 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

Page 31. the bigger you are the townier you are

Furtiveglance

pookythemagicalbear

Datisi

Bingle

SleepyKrew
ActionDan
Enchant
Ausuka

Save the dragons

GuiltyLion

Meowth

Lady Lambdadelta
Herta

Unowen

SirCakez
Bloodb0t
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1172 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:13 am

Post by Bingle »

In post 1168, GuiltyLion wrote: ok but you're misrepresenting his point, it's not that you said "I think", it's that you said "I think" twice in the same sentence and also the first one was that you "think" that you "lean"
What do you make of the fact that the "I think I wish I wonder" post was empty mechspec and thus likely AI neutral and real thoughts anyway?

Like, there's no motivation to lie or misrepresent thought processes from scumsuka there at all, because scumsuka and townsuka should have the same thoughts on whether it's good to manipulate council voting at that point in time.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1173 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:14 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 1169, Bingle wrote:
In post 1140, Lady Lambdadelta wrote: okay but this information can come out later
This information absolutely needs to come out before the election on D2, and should come out before we decide whether to take the game off of evens today. What you're proposing is to attempt to hide the roles that exist in the game from scum so that scum can't manipulate them to their advantage when the overwhelming probability is that scum already has that info. As for your "We elected on reads, so actual numbers higher" argument, we elected self nominated people in pools of three. BloodBot literally ran unopposed, and Enchant had a landslide victory despite virtually no consensus on their alignment. If you think scum wasn't happy with the way the election panned out you're kidding yourself, because there was very little in the way of actually trying to argue election results.

There is utility in preventing scum from knowing exactly which JOAT has, say, protective abilities, if we're in the incredibly unlikely case that we actually have a pure council. There is more utility in town knowing that there is a JOAT with protective abilities. There's a reason massclaim can break setups, and we're in a setup where scum can't handle the problem via shooting the individual PRs.

And no duh I think I should have access to the mechanical information. I made that clear like a week ago when I said I didn't see a reason to run for the council when the information the council has should basically all be made public anyway.

What tangible gain do you expect to see from not sharing roles?
for someone who seems to be acclaimed at mechanics, you sure struggle to read the OP.

Scum apparently have secret roles. Why should I increase the chance they get to use them effectively and backbreakingly by outing information?

You'll have full claims of actions from the whole council before day 2 elections. Not a moment sooner.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1174 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:16 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

Oh, and?

"I didn't run for council because I thought it would all be made public anyway" sure sounds like scum complaining that they thought they did not need to expose themselves to scrutiny and could hide behind a facade of appearing town and still obtain all the information they needed to know, and run for elections later.

And it sounds to me like I've stepped in the way of your ambitions.

Such a shame.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”