Mini 934 - Troubles at Smiths&Catharts (Game Over!)

Col.Cathart
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #850 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:29 am

Post by Col.Cathart »

Votecount 2.4

With 10 players alive, it takes 6 to lynch

If you'll encounter any kind of mistake in the votecount, please point it out.

Fate (2):
Socrates, Sotty7
Socrates (2):
Cyberbob, Fate
Copper (1): charter
Saint Kerrigan (1): Copper
Pie_is_good (1): MichelSableheart

not voting (3): Saint Kerrigan, Thor665, Pie_is_good

The current deadline is on
Monday, April 19th 2010 at 6:30 PM GMT +1
Modified Countdown

Deadline in less than 5 days...
[b]Mini 934[/b] is [b]over![/b] Thanks to everyone participating.

[i]What the hell? That Colonel guy was awesome.[/i] - Fate
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:03 am

Post by Thor665 »

MichelSableheart wrote:Thor's vote for Pomegranate in #618 feels very uncharacteristic of him. He lists the other possibilities, but completely ignores the Kthx wagon even though it was the second most popular at the time. He also doesn't comment at first on why Pomegranate is actually scum. He later claims to agree with the "active lurking" accusation, but makes no attempt whatsoever to actually verify this. In particular, I don't like how he calls a vote for active lurking on Ray as bad as the completely unexplained CSL vote. His is a very suspicious vote.
My "uncharacteristic vote" (by the way - what's a 'characteristic' Thor vote? I'm quite serious with this question.) came at a time when I was clearly against the Kthx wagon and had become convinced that the TCC wagon was scum driven. At that point one's goal is to either start up a wagon or support one that seems reasonable - I'd liked my read on Sotty and I hadn't liked Pom, so I was all for the wagon.

As far as me not having issue with Pom's active lurk? Eh, I feel I had been fairly vocal about not liking her attitude towards actually supplying information and had multiple times pressed her for info and also multiple times expressed dissatisfaction with her contributions.

As far as the Kthx stuff I believe you, as others did then, are taking a newbie aggressiveness and painting it in a scummy light. Could you at least assess why you don't think the aggressiveness is newbie oriented?

Moving on to the mass claim - I am in favor of it at this point as I think Michel's argument about the scum figuring out better role claims later holds water and on just a theoretical level I'll admit I'm intrigued to see Pie's concept at work. Seems like we'd have to really hustle to make this work though.

Massclaim Question
(popcorn style)

Voting Aye (3): Pie, Michel, Thor
Voting Nay:

It's also probably past time I voted. I'm going to back Copper on his Kerrigan vote (whoever it was with the Thor/Copper team feel free to take note) as I think it's criminal how little we've heard out of that slot (Michel - do you still like the contribution level from this slot?).

Vote: Saint Kerrigan
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:37 am

Post by MichelSableheart »

Thor wrote:by the way - what's a 'characteristic' Thor vote? I'm quite serious with this question
Based on reading this game, I would characterize you as a player who is quite serious, uses a lot of questions to establish an opinion and who is concerned about players actually voting for reasons that are indicative of the votee being scum. I found nothing like that in the post where you voted Pom.
Thor wrote:came at a time when I was clearly against the Kthx wagon and had become convinced that the TCC wagon was scum driven.
your comment about the TCC wagon being scumdriven I can find in the post where you vote. However, that post contains nothing whatsoever about the Kthx wagon. Reading you in ISO from the point where you voted TCC, I see you strongly questioning Henri's reasons for voting, but I do not see how that means you are against the wagon as a whole. In fact, ISO 63 and 64 contain some serious questioning of Kthx, on topics that weren't mentioned in your discussion with Henry.
Thor wrote:As far as me not having issue with Pom's active lurk? Eh, I feel I had been fairly vocal about not liking her attitude towards actually supplying information and had multiple times pressed her for info and also multiple times expressed dissatisfaction with her contributions.
Did you? In my summary of the game, the post where you voted Pom is the first of yours where I have listed you as significantly commenting on her. Reading you in ISO, I find (ISO) posts #57 and #58, which were made just before Pom posted her scumlist in #474. If you weren't satisfied with that scumlist, I would have expected you to question her further. Instead, you don't comment on Poms behaviour after that till the post where you vote her. Can you please back up your statement that you were fairly vocal about her activity with post numbers?
Thor wrote:As far as the Kthx stuff I believe you, as others did then, are taking a newbie aggressiveness and painting it in a scummy light. Could you at least assess why you don't think the aggressiveness is newbie oriented?
NS was posting virtually no content. The only thing he did was voting Ray for not contributing, which tells me that he knew that not posting content was a scummy thing to do. So why did he do it anyway? His responses to the lurking accusations (ignoring those that question his vote for RayFrost, getting angry at Ythan without actually responding to the accusation) are far more likely to come from someone who is intentionally lurking, IMO.

Kthx stands out because of his votes. His TCC vote seems mainly intended to get a lynch. He opens with the statement that we need a flip, and only follows with some accusations as an afterthought. It contained no warning whatsoever that it was an L-1 vote. The whole post strikes me as someone who is very eager to get a lynch. For newbie scum, this eagerness is easily explained, because a mislynch (I think I can safely rule out the possibility of Kthx and TCC being scum together. Kthx eagerness was genuine) would help bring their victory closer and brings them to the "interesting" part of the game. For a newbie vanilla townie, such eagerness is far less likely. A lynch brings them to night, when they can't play. Also, because vanilla townies have no information whatsoever, they tend to be more doubtful in my experience, and very worried about making mistakes. Kthx "any lynch will do" mentality is not something I associate with newbie town.

His vote on Pomegranate is less suspicious, simply because the deadline was looming. Still, it felt poorly reasoned, without actually looking for evidence. It seemed he was mainly following popular opinion. His first few posts show that Kthx is able to formulate his own opinions. In my experience, newbie townies who can think for themselves are slightly more likely to get convinced of their own right, and tunnel as a result, whereas newbie scum tends to be more flexible with their opinions because they are happy with any mislynch.
Thor wrote:(Michel - do you still like the contribution level from this slot?).
Why are you using the word 'still' in regards to the entire slot? I believe I have clearly stated that I didn't like the contribution level from RayFrost, and that this was a reason for me to be slightly suspicious of SaintKerrigan. I am still satisfied with the amount of content SK has delivered. He seems to have run into the same problems I ran into: there is a lot of info to digest, which makes it difficult to form opinions. He comments on what's going on, and I understand where his opinions come from.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 am

Post by Thor665 »

MichelSableheart wrote:
Thor wrote:by the way - what's a 'characteristic' Thor vote? I'm quite serious with this question
Based on reading this game, I would characterize you as a player who is quite serious, uses a lot of questions to establish an opinion and who is concerned about players actually voting for reasons that are indicative of the votee being scum. I found nothing like that in the post where you voted Pom.
The question though is did I do that previously and subsequently or not. I do occasionally go for more bandwagonee votes but at least I'll admit I do usually post a longer case in my vote post so that this makes sense. I will note that the post I voted her in did contain discussion of my feelings on other wagons of the time. I feel this supports my earlier commentary of why I went to vote Pom.
Michel wrote:Reading you in ISO from the point where you voted TCC, I see you strongly questioning Henri's reasons for voting, but I do not see how that means you are against the wagon as a whole. In fact, ISO 63 and 64 contain some serious questioning of Kthx, on topics that weren't mentioned in your discussion with Henry.
Thor (Ray is grasping at straws)
is (I am not a fan of Kthxbye's wagon)
against (my 'going away post' still don't like the Kthx wagon am curious of who is on it)
Kthx Wagon (why are there so many votes on Kthx?)
(I also know I had a conversation with Zorblag where he and I both discussed getting newbie reads off Kthx, I'm just too lazy to track that one down)

Yes, I did still question Kthx on other issues that I found scummy or potentially scummy - that's called scumhunting. That said; I didn't like the wagon regardless of whether I was scumhunting on Kthx.
Michel wrote:Did you [have issue with Pom]? In my summary of the game, the post where you voted Pom is the first of yours where I have listed you as significantly commenting on her. Reading you in ISO, I find (ISO) posts #57 and #58, which were made just before Pom posted her scumlist in #474. If you weren't satisfied with that scumlist, I would have expected you to question her further. Instead, you don't comment on Poms behaviour after that till the post where you vote her. Can you please back up your statement that you were fairly vocal about her activity with post numbers?
As I discovered in my ISO, if you want me discussing her prior to my vote I am woefully low and you hit the remotely major ones I did post. I certainly discussed her after that fact, but for prior to the vote you are correct that I did not.
getting angry at Ythan without actually responding to the accusation) are far more likely to come from someone who is intentionally lurking, IMO.
Just as far as this one goes - I was in a previous game with Nobody and Ythan where they developed a bit of an 'attitude' towards each other. I'm still reading NS's reaction there as stemming from his personal distaste for Ythan rather then coming from an in-game reason.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:15 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Just putting in my two cents on current issues that need addressing.

I stil disagree with massclaiming because if there any more power roles in play, I would rather avoid outting them now and giving scum a better idea on who to nightkill. Michel argues in favor of it because he wants to give scum less time to come up with fakeclaims, and making them stay true to their fakeclaims longer. In my experience, most scum simply claim vanilla when forced to claim in a hurry. It's much safer than trying to live up to a fake power role. In other words, I don't think the advantages of massclaiming at this point outweigh the disadvantages.

I do find it annoying that I'm getting voted for lack of content, but I can see why this is happening. What is piquing my curiosity, however, is how Michel is defending me by saying he is "satisfied" with my content level, while others are voting me because they
aren't
satisfied with my content level. It makes it even more interesting when Michel states that he does dislike the contribution level of RayFrost, my predecessor, when as far as I can tell my contribution level is about equal to, if not less than, that of my predecessor.

@ Copper: I'm not using my vote yet because I don't have enough of a feel for this game to take a stance strong enough to want to vote someone. In other words, I haven't comprehended the game enough to feel comfortable voting.

Here's a question for you: if I had made exactly the same posts as I have up to now, but included at least one vote, would you still feel inclined to vote me?
ALMOST ALWAYS BUSY 9-6 CST WEEKDAYS
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:40 am

Post by Thor665 »

SaintKerrigan wrote:Michel argues in favor of it because he wants to give scum less time to come up with fakeclaims, and making them stay true to their fakeclaims longer. In my experience, most scum simply claim vanilla when forced to claim in a hurry.
But wouldn't that then be the point? Scum would have to claim a powerrole and fake it for a while (which would be difficult) or they would claim vanilla and we'd know scum were amongst the vanilla.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Thor665 wrote:
SaintKerrigan wrote:Michel argues in favor of it because he wants to give scum less time to come up with fakeclaims, and making them stay true to their fakeclaims longer. In my experience, most scum simply claim vanilla when forced to claim in a hurry.
But wouldn't that then be the point? Scum would have to claim a powerrole and fake it for a while (which would be difficult) or they would claim vanilla and we'd know scum were amongst the vanilla.
What advantage do we procure by "knowing" scum is among the vanilla? For that matter, how do we know that we don't have a scum that is fakeclaiming a power role?

How does the advantage gained from massclaiming outweigh the major disadvantage of massclaiming (scum get a fairly good idea who to nightkill)?
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 am

Post by Sotty7 »

I would say I am against a mass claim. Mostly because I am hoping there is a doc out there that will protect me. I'll understand if the town decides to MC though and Fate would be my popcorn pick.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:01 am

Post by Pie_is_good »

@Michel: The point of my "irony" comment was that, by discussing levels of active lurking,
you
were doing a form of active lurking (saying "X has posted in Y amounts" is not an opinion that carries a risk of coming back to bite you).

That said, I don't support lurker lynching except when necessary to keep the game rolling. Yes, active lurking hurts the town, but in my experience it's just not an action taken more often by scum than town. A SaintKerrigan lynch wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but for reasons other than lurkitude. Besides, site meta is such that the suspicion incurred by active lurking far outweighs the benefits of "hiding" from the town.

As I've said, I have no way to defend myself against your vote. I can try and spin my predecessor's actions in a protown light, but in the end your guess is as good as mine. The only move I have is to post enough content to wash out any previous transgressions, and that won't happen before Saturday.

And yes, you're absolutely right that the strength of massclaim improves (or more specifically, its drawbacks decrease) with each existing claimant.

@Thor: I'm always a little cautious when people spin massclaim as my personal pet project. Yes, I'm behind it, but I've been lynched in the past just because someone didn't like the results of the claim and they held me personally responsible.

@SaintKerrigan: The "massclaim sucks because it gives scum a better idea of who to nightkill" argument has been nerfed with an outed gunsmith. The drawbacks of massclaiming (pre-gunsmith claim) used to be "the scum kills the town's best role instead of a random role." They are now "the scum kills the town's best role instead of the gunsmith." Does that make sense?
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:38 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Pie_is_good wrote:A SaintKerrigan lynch wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but for reasons other than lurkitude.
Care to share those other reasons?
Pie_is_good wrote:The "massclaim sucks because it gives scum a better idea of who to nightkill" argument has been nerfed with an outed gunsmith. The drawbacks of massclaiming (pre-gunsmith claim) used to be "the scum kills the town's best role instead of a random role." They are now "the scum kills the town's best role instead of the gunsmith." Does that make sense?
That's exactly my problem with massclaiming now. It tells the scum
exactly
who they need to kill, while providing little relative benefit to us. I don't think we need to give scum that kind of an advantage.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:39 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Bah, doublepost.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 am

Post by Pie_is_good »

I've gotten the general sense you've been trying to give people the answers they want to hear. This is not strong enough for a vote and could very well change.

I've explained why I disagree that massclaim provides "relatively little benefit to us" so I won't get back into that.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #862 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Pie_is_good wrote:I've gotten the general sense you've been trying to give people the answers they want to hear.
This is not strong enough for a vote and could very well change.
Pie_is_good wrote: A SaintKerrigan lynch wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but for reasons other than lurkitude.
So, you claim that my lynch wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and then go on to say that the "other reasons" you mentioned weren't strong enough for a vote? Could you please explain this disparity?
Pie_is_good wrote:I've explained why I disagree that massclaim provides "relatively little benefit to us" so I won't get back into that.
Would you do me a favor and point out the specific post(s) that addressed that?
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #863 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Goddammit.
Mod, would you mind deleting my double posts?

Both double posts were deleted
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #864 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:13 pm

Post by Fate »

I have a lot to comment on tonight after work, this game has finally picked up. I can see SK and Pie as scum, will say why later.

Tech question for my reads: Are you for/against massclaiming, Socrates?
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #865 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:14 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Pie_is_good wrote:@Thor: I'm always a little cautious when people spin massclaim as my personal pet project.
This is theoretically something you should only worry about if I then try to lynch you over it. I'll retract my statement that implies you have any connection to the current mass claim if it makes you feel fuzzier inside though.

I'm liking some of Kerrigan's points on Pie. I think they hold water.

@Kerrigan - why the sudden flurry of activity? Not that I'm complaining per se' but the apparent connection to suddenly having activity after some votes are on you seems obvious.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #866 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:34 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

@ Thor: Well, the fact that people were voting me, and then giving reasons, gave me something I could immediately respond to (versus having to dig through a mountainous load of posts, sort out the info, and condense it into a comprehensible and easy-to-read format). Plus, I'm strongly against a massclaim at this point in time, so I wanted to make that opinion, and the reasoning behind it, extremely clear.

Btw, I would like you to answer the questions I posed back in Post #856. While you're at it, would you also illuminate the other points I made against Pie (as I only recall making one)?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #867 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Sorry I skipped this, I felt others had already offered a reasonable reply. Below is mine;
SaintKerrigan wrote:What advantage do we procure by "knowing" scum is among the vanilla? For that matter, how do we know that we don't have a scum that is fakeclaiming a power role?
You are the one who advanced the likelihood that scum would go vanilla and now you want me to defend your own supposition? I think either scum will claim vanilla or they will be forced to guess at a power role to claim that then they will have to maintain their role as for much longer.

The scum who claim as power roles will become obvious since, as you yourself noted, scum are going to kill power roles and also because they'll be obligated to provide us with information about their actions.

The scum who claim as vanilla will be in the easy suspect pool of the vanilla townies and won't be able to falseclaim as a power role later in endgame situations.

The points are you getting him to mention his acceptability with your lynch and then forcing him to justify that statement. It looks like he's now extended out on an interestingly thin limb and it's also almost the first non-theory declarative statements he's made this game and I'm happy to see that happening in general.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #868 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Socrates »

I think the primary motivation (for me) not to participate in a massclaim is if we believe there is a protective role out there somewhere and we could try to go down a more of a Follow The Cop type strategy, in which case it would be better not to massclaim, and in my personal experience, more games have a protective role than not.

So what Sotty said, I guess.
Tech question for my reads: Are you for/against massclaiming, Socrates?
:|

In other news, I'm thinking I will go for that pie vote.
unvote, vote:Pie
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #869 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

@Thor: Ah, I missed your "Ray is grasping at straws" post. If you felt two out of three votes were poorly reasoned, I can understand why you felt against the bandwagon as a whole. That does remove part of my suspicion against you. What do you think about Locke's argument that Kthx overjustified his vote though?

@SaintKerrigan: The main reason I'm satisfied with your content level is that your claim of "I have read the entire game, but have trouble getting a grip on it" matches how I felt after reading the game. About comparing you to your predecessor: Ray posted more, but posted less content, especially in the period between the RVS and Kthx TCC vote.

If massclaiming is not an option, how does everyone feel about claiming "gun" or "no gun"? That should allow most protective roles to remain hidden, while also allowing Sotty to find scum by detecting liars.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
Copper
Copper
Goon
Copper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #870 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Post by Copper »

Michel 846 wrote:I'm very annoyed with seeing Sotty claim, though I do find it believable.
This game is hellish in how much of a toll it seems to be taking on my concentration and attention. Sotty's claim kickstarts it a bit, since players seemed to be either entrenched in their positions or not active enough to change their point of view. The revolving door of replacements doesn't help, although it finally appears things are stable (cross your fingers on charter and Socrates though).
Michel wrote:With Sotty having claimed, (and Ktx having claimed before) massclaim suddenly became much better IMO. Keeping powerroles hidden isn't really a concern with an info role out in the open. Unless there are serious objections, I'm going to claim next.
I still don't think this is the best option, not without any scum dead or any protective roles outted.
Michel wrote:I also have reasons to be suspicious of Socrates because of the behaviour of TCC, of Thor for his vital role in the Pom lynch and of SaintKerrigan because of Ray's behaviour towards the deadline.
In honesty, I don't think this post is bad. I think the conclusions you've drawn match exactly with your progression through the game, and, although I don't necessarily agree with these conclusions, I can see why you've reachde them. Claim or no, Kthx is not a bad lynch for us today. If Kthx is the deadline lynch, it will get Copper's support.
Thor wrote:Voting Aye (3): Pie, Michel, Thor
Voting Nay:
I have not discussed this with all the heads, but given our time constraints, I say that we still vote nay. The risk of throwing a Doctor under the bus could be this town's undoing. I see more risk for little reward. It would be nice to lock scum in, but it would be just as nice, I think, for Sotty to get another report.
SK wrote:I'm not using my vote yet because I don't have enough of a feel for this game to take a stance strong enough to want to vote someone. In other words, I haven't comprehended the game enough to feel comfortable voting.

Here's a question for you: if I had made exactly the same posts as I have up to now, but included at least one vote, would you still feel inclined to vote me?
Be that as it may, I can't hold any position to you. Sure, you attack Michel here a bit, which I think is good, but why not vote him? I mean, is this a political thing? Do you not like casting votes unless you think they can be successful lynches? I just don't understand your reluctance to make a stand.

Additionally, I would say that yes, a vote would've bode well for you. Heck, if you had made a reasonable case and a vote, I do think I may have turned my attention elsewhere. It sticks out that you didn't though, and it appears you
still
haven't.

I do agree with you on massclaiming though.
Pie wrote:A SaintKerrigan lynch wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but for reasons other than lurkitude. Besides, site meta is such that the suspicion incurred by active lurking far outweighs the benefits of "hiding" from the town.
It's not only lurking. How long do we let SK go on not taking a position? I'm not talking, "Sotty seems scum". I'm talking, "Here is my vote; here is why it is the best vote".
Thor wrote:The scum who claim as vanilla will be in the easy suspect pool of the vanilla townies and won't be able to falseclaim as a power role later in endgame situations.
Do you think the scum don't have any power? What's to stop them from then just making sure that whatever power roles town-sided are taken out?
Michel wrote:If massclaiming is not an option, how does everyone feel about claiming "gun" or "no gun"? That should allow most protective roles to remain hidden, while also allowing Sotty to find scum by detecting liars.
I don't think this would be a problem, and I'm much more willing to do this. Given one kill last night though, I'm not entirely sure how beneficial it would be. Moreover, the fact that there even is a Gunsmith should give us all doubts at to whether all scum killing roles solely have guns in their possession.
This account is a hydra. It is listed as male for ease of pronoun use; this has no bearing on the genders of the hydra's heads.
Cyberbob
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Cyberbob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #871 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Post by Cyberbob »

Blarg. Sorry about not having the rest of the game read yet, a whole heap of things came up today that were physically unforseeable to me and now I'm dead tired. I'll see how much I can welch my way through tonight before I fall asleep at the keyboard.
tread softly because you tread on my dreams
daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #872 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:12 am

Post by Fate »

I almost forgot about Bob. He is the last piece of the puzzle.

So far though I find SK scummy.

I'll flesh out my thoughts more (I thought I'd have more time, but oh **** it is tax day and I haven't finished) in future posts, but quick things:
SK wrote:Here's a question for you: if I had made exactly the same posts as I have up to now, but included at least one vote, would you still feel inclined to vote me?
I see no town motivation behind this line. "If I did something different, would you still think I'm scummy?" What purpose does that serve? SK, did you hope to find some telling reaction from Thor to this question? Hmmm I see Thor hasn't even answered this question. So I'd like you to hold off on answering me until he responds, but I want to hear your thoughts on his response.

2. Both you and Socrates are against MC. How about that. Sure it is easy to argue, "well I don't want to out the doc!" and seem pro-town, but in reality MC is very beneficial to town now. Scum have likely not co-ordinated their fakeclaims, and want to make it to N2 very badly. As Thor pointed out, massclaiming right now and early really narrows down the options for scum. Either pick a PR and risk a CC and have to keep up the charade, or a vanilla which blocks them off from any PR gambits later.

That said I'd like to refer back to Socrates contributions to this game. His earlier Kthx vote reads to me (now, with Copper+Sotty town) as a distancing vote. Especially with how quickly he dropped it and how weak it was in the first place.

Upon a re-read I now see it likely that Charter was piggy backing on my reasonings against Copper/Sotty. I can see a Soc/Charter/Pie team.

Again sorry for the short post, but those are my stances. I'll elaborate more when I can.
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #873 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:47 am

Post by Pie_is_good »

SaintKerrigan wrote:So, you claim that my lynch wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and then go on to say that the "other reasons" you mentioned weren't strong enough for a vote? Could you please explain this disparity?
I guess I don't see how this is a disparity. You're among my top suspects right now, but my handle on the game is currently poor enough that my top suspects will likely change as I gain info. So I'm not prepared to vote for anyone, but I'm not exactly opposed to the Kerrigan-wagon that was getting underway.
SK wrote:Would you do me a favor and point out the specific post(s) that addressed that?
Pie wrote:The downside of a massclaim is that it improves the accuracy of the scum's nightkills. The upside is, that doesn't matter much if everyone's claiming at the same time - scum doesn't have the firepower to off more than one power role a night, which is far too slow when the town power roles can now coordinate with each other. It's also much more difficult for scum to fakeclaim power roles when the massclaim happens early - they have to keep up the charade for longer. Further, it's a huge bonus to scumhunting - instead of asking "Is X acting more like scum or more like a generic town role?" you can ask "Is X acting like scum or more like his claimed role?" This is especially potent when the massclaim happens early, because you lock them into their claimed role before they can properly evaluate, which is a problem townies don't have.
@Thor: As SK said, what points?
@Socrates: Are you voting for me personally or my playerslot?
@Fate: Care to back up the "Soc/Charter/Pie Scumteam" comment?
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #874 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:56 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Thor wrote:You are the one who advanced the likelihood that scum would go vanilla and now you want me to defend your own supposition?
To clarify: I purported that scum would be more likely to claim vanilla. You then stated that scum doing so would be a benefit to the town. My question to you was how town gained an advantage from scum claiming vanilla.
Thor wrote:The scum who claim as vanilla will be in the easy suspect pool of the vanilla townies and won't be able to falseclaim as a power role later in endgame situations.
Why is claiming a vanilla townie putting oneself in the "easy" suspect pool? I fail to see where you draw this conclusion. In my mind, trying to deduce the alignment of an alleged vanilla townie is harder than trying to deduce the alignment of an alleged power role, since we can't use role information to potentially trip up someone.

@ Michel: Okay, I see your point. This game is definitely a bitch to reread.

As for claiming "gun or no gun," I'm not sure I really see the point in doing this. Scum are highly unlikely to claim that they have a gun (unless they wish to fakeclaim a role that has a gun), and if a town player has a gun, they must either explain why their role has a gun (which will likely mean claiming), or they must lie about having a gun to try and stay hidden (and hope Sotty doesn't check on them and discover the lie). The only people we can catch with this technique are the liars (as was already stated), and I believe both scum and town would have motivation to lie about having a gun. If the town gun chooses not to lie, then we have outed a power role that has a gun, giving the mafia another potential nightkill target.

In other words, I don't see us gaining much useful information by claiming gun or no gun, and the drawback of potentially outing another power role makes the idea even less appealing to me.
Copper wrote:Be that as it may, I can't hold any position to you. Sure, you attack Michel here a bit, which I think is good, but why not vote him? I mean, is this a political thing? Do you not like casting votes unless you think they can be successful lynches? I just don't understand your reluctance to make a stand.
My reluctance stems from not wanting to make a misinformed vote. Sure, I could've voted Michel if I really wanted to, but not only had I not completely read up on his player slot yet, but the questions I did pose to him weren't nearly strong enough reasons to vote him.
Copper wrote:Additionally, I would say that yes, a vote would've bode well for you. Heck, if you had made a reasonable case and a vote, I do think I may have turned my attention elsewhere. It sticks out that you didn't though, and it appears you still haven't.
When I present a reasonable case, I'll definitely have a vote to go along with it. So far, I haven't uncovered sufficient information to warrant a vote. Once I delve more thoroughly into the game, that will change.
Fate wrote:I see no town motivation behind this line. "If I did something different, would you still think I'm scummy?" What purpose does that serve? SK, did you hope to find some telling reaction from Thor to this question? Hmmm I see Thor hasn't even answered this question. So I'd like you to hold off on answering me until he responds, but I want to hear your thoughts on his response.
First of all, the question was directed at Copper, not Thor. Second, I was gauging Copper's reaction to my question. All it would take, apparently, is a vote from my slot to turn his attention somewhere else. It makes me wonder just how many other people are posting with the same content level that I am and getting away with it by slapping on a vote...
Fate wrote:Both you and Socrates are against MC. How about that. Sure it is easy to argue, "well I don't want to out the doc!" and seem pro-town, but in reality MC is very beneficial to town now. Scum have likely not co-ordinated their fakeclaims, and want to make it to N2 very badly. As Thor pointed out, massclaiming right now and early really narrows down the options for scum. Either pick a PR and risk a CC and have to keep up the charade, or a vanilla which blocks them off from any PR gambits later.
"Both you and Socrates are against MC." So, not going for a massclaim is equated with being scummy? Does that mean Copper and Sotty are scummy as well? They were against the massclaim, too. I really don't like where you're going with this. It's ill-reasoned and basically looks like a cheap shot at two of the more suspicious players on the board.

I've already explained my issue with massclaiming today in Posts #854 and #859. I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise.
Fate wrote:Upon a re-read I now see it likely that Charter was piggy backing on my reasonings against Copper/Sotty. I can see a Soc/Charter/Pie team.
So what happened with me being scummy? And the only thing I see that you have for putting Pie on a scumteam is "MD discussion in a game thread is never good" and a so-called "distancing" vote from Socrates on Kthxbye.

Hmm. You know, I think I'm going to skip straight to your ISO, because I'm definitely not liking what I'm seeing out of you, Fate.
Pie_is_good wrote:I guess I don't see how this is a disparity. You're among my top suspects right now, but my handle on the game is currently poor enough that my top suspects will likely change as I gain info. So I'm not prepared to vote for anyone, but I'm not exactly opposed to the Kerrigan-wagon that was getting underway.
The disparity is in being willing to lynch me solely because of reasons "other than lurkitude," but when you provide those "other reasons," you put on a disclaimer that they don't warrant a vote. So, I'm one of your top suspects, but none of the reasons you suspect me for are worthy of slapping on a vote? I fail to see how this computes.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”