Newbie 1691 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
YawningAngel
YawningAngel
Goon
YawningAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Post by YawningAngel »

mhsmith:

I really am new. My early plays painted me as scummy as all hell, because I was challenging conventions around day one play without having the slightest impact on anyone's actual opinion. It did nothing but cost me credibility, and I can't believe that any serious mafia player would ever do it. So yeah, I do think that 'clueless newbie mislynch bait' is fair to an extent, even if I like to think I've played enough games of mafia IRL to be decent at scumspotting. My post is not "tactical voting". I was very clear that I think Eggman (a lurking player whose only contribution has been to vote me for the weakest of reasons) is deserving of a lynch if he doesn't produce something else, and I figured that leaving him at L-2 was a perfectly consistent way to achieve that. The fact I'm also perfectly willing to lynch UTL seems reasonable to me - I'd rather we lynched one of the scummy players than myself or you, which seem to be the other options flying around.

As for consolidation - there's obviously no
need
for people to consolidate on the targets I like, but I have no intention of voting for anyone else (I think Aero's vote on you is very, very strange, likewise Ircher's vote on Aeronaut) so it'd be wonderful for me if you did. There doesn't seem to me to be any harm in requesting that people stop pursuing lynches I think are poor and focus instead on ones that are worth pursuing. Prior to the deadline extension it looked as if arguing out those lynches alone might take long enough considering the need to bring new players and so up to speed.

As for not voting UTL, I was very clear on the fact that they're both scumreads. I didn't see any pressing reason to move my vote from one player I want to lynch to another while it's still plausible that either is getting lynched. With that said, it's starting to look as if Eggman is just inactive as well -_-
Eggman
Eggman
Goon
Eggman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:55 pm

Post by Eggman »

One of the reasons I haven't been posting so often is because I didn't have any super strong scumreads. The only player I truly think is a mafioso at this point is YA. also omgus

Aeronaut, did you finish catching up or are you seriously gonna vote our most towny guy? Since this is D1, I don't think it's actually gonna happen, but that's getting you on my radar.

I believe that SiW is town. UtL is on my null list. To be honest, I didn't see any really scummy behavior from either of them, so if someone could point them out that would be nice..?
YawningAngel
YawningAngel
Goon
YawningAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:47 am

Post by YawningAngel »

Yeah no. As argued earlier in this thread, you don't get to keep your thoughts to yourself. Share with the group, please. "YA is mafia" is not a comprehensive set of opinions.
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:20 am

Post by KickAssAndGiggle »

Let me put my thoughts on the Ryu/Eggman slot down (and my apologies Eggman but most of this is about Ryu):

Defends an RVS vote as a joke. Why? No need.

Reiterates his defense of an RVS vote.

Practically apologizes for his posting style, uses a little AtE (Appeal to Emotion)

More explaining his style, more AtE

Admits to not just posting from the head (i.e. constructing his posts). Town can post organically simply by being town.

Another apology, this for "messing up" (no reason given really)

Conclusion:

This slot will attract votes. Cases built on voting for this slot are weak. Ryu/Eggman may or may not be scum, but the fact that they attracted votes to L-2 is no surprise to me.

Still, I think Aeronaut's vote on mhsmith0 is odd indeed. I will think on it.
It's OK if you disagree with me. I can't
force
you to be right...
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:45 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

@YA: You say you are new. What's your experience? What's your familiarity with theory about mafia, scum hunting, etc.?
YawningAngel
YawningAngel
Goon
YawningAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:12 am

Post by YawningAngel »

Played irl Mafia for two evenings. I've read the wiki
YawningAngel
YawningAngel
Goon
YawningAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:15 am

Post by YawningAngel »

Also did a few forum games years ago
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:10 am

Post by Ircher »

2/3 of the way through. Starting to get quite suspicious about mhsmith's motives, though I have nothing concrete right now on that respect
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:50 am

Post by Ircher »

Getting close! We need to deal with the lurkers in this game.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:02 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 358, Ircher wrote:Getting close!
We need to deal with the lurkers in this game

Obligatory
:twisted:
(honestly much more for your predecessor than for you... but I couldn't resist)

More seriously I welcome your participation and insight. And if you have good ideas for how to deal with the lurkers I'm all ears.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Post by Ircher »

Spoiler: Newbie 1692 - D1 Catchup Notes
0. Players: Summer, Yawn, mhsmith/fire, Green/Aoto, Egg/Ryu, Ircher/hex, KAAG, UTL, Aero

1. Aeronaut needs a new IC color; one) It's the mod color and 2) It's too dark for me to read (MafBlack theme fyi) (Referenced - . Also, under etiquette, you state "Never Self-hammer". While I understand you are the IC and what you say is true as you know it, what I've been taught is that it's ok for scum to self-hammer, just not town.

2. - That color is much better.
Mod Note: For clarity I edited Post to use the purple he's used in all other IC text

3. A wagon is forming already Day 1.....  Ryu votes UTL in , Aero votes UTL in , and Summer votes UTL in . -
Meh, it's a nebie & UTL isn't in danger of being lynched. I just hate wagons that form quickly during RVS. Oh, and on the flip side, wagons may be more dangerous in newbies in case there's that one newbie who doesn't understand you state intent to hmmer before lynching. -
Null-Indicative

4. by Aero asks 3 questions to get the game going. (Bit weird, but not unheard). My responses -
1) Job of Town is to lynch scum. 2) Lurk, opportunistically join wagons, fakeclaim, WIFOM 3) Definitely Aero, though I'm biased, as I replaced in & could see all who was prodded/replaced -
Null-Inicative

5. Aata's responses in - 1) Town start moving (aka, get active, scumhunt, etc) 2) Distract from relevant convo (includes a note about self doing same as Mafia) 3) Gut = Summer for using vote/gif while confused -
I have mixed thoughts here. The first answer makes it seem more likely that Aata is new to the site whereas the third option makes me think he's newer in general. His second answer catches my attn. about how he would do what he said as Mafia, but I would prob. do the same, so null there. Still a -
Null-Indicative
- I guess..

6. Aero votes KAAG in for too perfect of a post. -
I'd say I disagree with Aero and agree with the evidence in Aata's post that KAAG pointed out, but not the conclusion. (Oh, and PS - Drixx was my IC for my first *ahem* real game of mafia (I played 2 small forum, pr heavy games before on a site totally unrelated to mafia) - He was w pretty good IC; firsthand account /comment over) At worse, I'd say KAAG was being opportunistic and trying to frame a newbie for newb mistakes/etc, but I have no reason to come to that conclusion yet. "Too perfect to be town" is not a valid argument as it suffers from the same logical fallancies as "too town to be town" and "too scummy to be scum" do; all of those depend on the player, outside circumstances, luck (as in inspired some days, whereas others you have nothing to say), interest, and many other factors. In other words, unless a player's
meta
strongly indicates otherwise (but do note -- metas can change & metas can be manipulated), there are too many unknowns for anyone to make any conclusion about such a post on that premise aside from null indicative. -
Null-Scum Indicative

7. - KAAG votes Hex for not posting within the first 12(?) hrs of the game despite being an SE -
Before I state further, that's literally what he said: "For no posts yet as SE" (Timestamp = Tues, March 8 6:25 AM) First post was on Mon, March 7 11:49 PM (almost midnight) - So, actually, that's only 8 hrs. RBS or not, that's lousy reasoning for voting a person, as some people may either 1) Be asleep during that time or 2) At work/school. That's why prod guidelines are 48 hrs -- For timezone diffs & so people juggle mafia to their RL schedule. KAAG compounds this poor reasoning by making the assumption that SEs should be more likely to post then newbies. I beg to differ; again, playstyle-relate not-alignment indicative stuff. So, even when making RVS votes, please, PLEASE give it a reason that would actually make some sense. OMGUS is fine. Jokes are fine. Stupid reasons like not posting in
hrs is ridiculous. -
Null-Scum Indicative

@Summer in - As Aata is also new(er?) to the game, I find his comment null indicative. Sure, it sounded kinda scummy to me. But, one thing you will learn here is that meta (the way a player plays) can have an adverse effect on how you read a person. Too often, scum get their mislynches in newbies by targeting the player who makes the most newb tells (generally scummy things that newer players tend to do). So with those 2 points in mind, I cannot make a statement on Aata's alignment from that info alone.

@UTL - In regards to - On the contrary, I'd say its null indicative unless you have strong evidence to believe otherwise, as "Too Townie to be Town" is a logical fallancy.

10. Aero mysteriously townreads Ryu in -
I don't see any evidence of you having a townread there, so my question to you (
and I do want an answer
) is why do you have a townread of Ryu at this point. I understand your other reads. The ones I disagree with are Ryu who should be null imo, and Summer who I slightly townread. -
Null-Indicative; Possible Ryu Association (?)

@Yawn in - I have no clue where you get 1/5 from in terms of random lynching scum. Without prs, its simply 2/9; with PRs doesn't change much; 1=1/4 while 2=2/7. I don't like the way you think we are almost guaranteed to mislynch. I actually find it scummy, though I cannot express in words exactly why I find this scummy. -
Null-Scum Indicative

12. UTL votes Yawn in for 1) Defeatist attitude and 2) Yawn thinking pressuring only KAAG / UTL would be effective -
Overall, I concur with UTL, but I would like to address a slight... disagreement I have about point 2. While it's true Yawn could pressure anyone, pressuring someone does not work if that person isn't around to respond. At the time, Yawn must've concluded UTL and KAAG were the two most active, and therefore the best people to pressure. The caveat and why I agree with UTL's reasons in general is Aero was posting a good bit too as was Summer, so pressure applied there would've also been worthwhile. Overall, I'm at the following reads: Town = Summer, UTL, KAAG, Aero; Scum = Yawn, Aata; everyone else is null. -
Towm-Indicative (for UTL)
-
Addendum: is practically where I stand right now, except I townread myself (role pm).

13. In , Ryu expresses an FOS (fingers of suspicion; like a vote, but not one) on Yawning Angel) -
Any hopes of a Ryu townread at this point has completely vanished to be replaced by a decent scumread. First, in the post I referenced, I dislike the way it's worded. It seems rather contrived to me, and as UTL/Aero stated earlier, it does not feel like it comes from the heart per se but rather feels opportunistic/bussing in nature. This is compounded by the fact he simply leaves an FOS without any indication that he intends to vote Yawn. Classic scum technique is to throw suspicion on your partner yet not be willing to commit to their lynch (exception = bussing).
Another post I want to look at by Ryu is which probably biased me to think negatively of 74. First of all, he mentions some kind of joke ith UTL (I didn't see it). He also mentions an attempt to fit in. Fitting in is what scum try to do (though I acknowledge that it is a common newbie mistake to assume that to be townread, you have to fit in. They then overfocus on fitting in instead of scumhunting & inevitably get lynched. Don't worry about fitting in per se but rather scumhunt & express your reads. People will pick up on your playstyle pretty quick so you have nothing to worry about). The last sentence of that paragraph makes no sense at all to me: "I'm trying to use my head but at the same time trying to sound organical." Lastly, we have the part about Yawn - Agrees with Yawn only to contradict himself 2 sentences later. Ridiculous! Could be newbie (though this is an SE slot isn't it?) though I'm leaning towards scum when I think about the possible motives behind the posts. -
Scum-Indicative

I'm seeing town motivated posts from Summer, such as and -
Town-Indicative

15. UTL wants to better understand Ryu's playstyle in -
I find this to be more town-motivated as scum *generally* would not make such an effort (unless it's a buddying attempt; kinda like bussing, but opposite) to work with a player. It would be easier for them to form a mislynch case against them, but that's largely my opinion. Just, whenever you make reads like this, don't forget this golden rule:
One size does NOT fit all.
-
Town-Indicative

16. Looking at KAAG's readlist in -
Really like the stuff stated here. Few comments though. First, AtE, while a logically fallancy, is imo null indicative unless you have strong reason to believe otherwise. I have used it in my first two games here, both of which I was town in. I prob. used it some in Newbie 1682 too. In general though, town will prob. seem more authentic in their AtE, but unless you're good at reading the difference, I'd say leave it as null unless that's practically the only thing they've done the entire game. Same goes for defending oneself. The other thing I wanted say is that the style KAAG has used is I believe originated from Ranger (the bracket stuff). Personally, I find it too compact and doesn't express my thoughts (you'll see mine later, but do note that it is color coded and for best results, use the MafBlack theme) but like KAAG said, that's your own choice & the style doesn't matter quite as much as long as the content is there and reasonable. -
Town-Indicative

17. This game looks to be a fun one! Already at 17 & I'm not finished reading page 5 yet. I really like the effort that is going into a lot of these posts; hope this continues!

18. Mhsmith has some problems with UTL's responses to the RQS questions. -
Yeah, I kinda thought about that 1st point for a sec, but ultimately concluded that was simply poor reasoning rathe than scum trying to help themselves. Not the best answer imo, but I can understand a town PoV behind it. As to the other part, I'm kinda bad about doing that when I have no solid opinions about who's scum. Surprisingly, in my first two games here, 1 of the scum was a lurker, so scum do have a habit of lurking more often. Tbh, lurking is again a meta thing & while your point def. holds true about lurkers being easy lynches, town have some incentive into prodding lurkers just as scum do. (In town's case : Not participating = Cannot form read; this lack of info really hurts town imo). Overall, pretty nice conclusions, so I'll start with a townread of your slot. -
Town-Indicative

19. Aero addresses a few points Hexboy had made in Aero's -
I agree with your second part of your explanation (reason why I mention it specifically cuz I didn't understand what Hexboy was saying) and the majority of the post. The only part I have a real problem with is the last part of the post. I dislike how Aero claims Hexboy is being selective for 2 reasons 1) He just replaced in at that point and 2) He was skimming & his computer was low battery. -
Null-Indicative

- @Summer - Defending oneself can be seen as a scummy action, as in reaction tests, but my general feeling is it all goes back to that player's meta. Idk Aero's meta, but the way Aero is trying to help town & scumhunt makes me kinda townread him despite the few occasions where he becomes overly defensive. Also, defensiveness def. can come from town, don't let anyone tell you town don't overreact or react poorly to situations. (I got lynched just for that by *idiot* town led by a Werewolf in Micro 590..... Only time I had a PR too.....) -
Null-Town Indicative

21. - KAAG points that TvT occurs all the time. -
Just wanted to say that imho, 90% of all in-thread fights are TvT. -
Null-Indicative

Ah, I love the quote of that UTL quotes in . You can be wrong, you will be wrong (at times), and you can still be town despite that. Here, what I think is Motives speak louder than words. If the player seems town-motivated, I give townread and vice-versa.

I'm gonna say this now and you better listen:
Do not use plain spoiler tags (

Code: Select all

[spoiler][/spoiler]
in Mafia games.
1) Some mods consider it as hidden text (I most certainly will)  2) Some people on mobile devices like an Ipad cannot read the blackout text 3) Spoiler= is imo much better and should be used 100% of the time. This is in reference to Aata's .

I really, REALLY like how mhsmith is trying to get town to be proactive and accountable. I doubt I'll meet that explanation - I'll prob. get somewhat lazy after this post - but this rings town to me. The more scumhunting, participation, and scrutiny occurs, the harder it will be for scum to blend in & get away with stuff. So yes, could be a scum tactic but more likely town-motivated. -
Town-Indicative

25. Mhsmith has an interesting case against UTL in -
Personally didn't see it that way, but I'll keep that in mind. My meta with scum UTL suggests that scum UTL would be way less active though. - [b}Null-Town-Indicatove[/b]

I agree with the conclusions KAAG came to in -
Null-Indicative

27. KAAG in mentioned that scum can sometimes detract from the game by discussing mechanics instead of the game itself -
Hmmm... Very interesting point, albeit I think I've gone on the theory side quite a bit in this post. Nonetheless, I am going to keep a close eye on mhsmith as mhsmith has done quite a lot of game theory and mechanics posts so far. Still it's an overall townread for mhsmith as mhsmith has presented a scum case for UTL and seems to be scumhunting. -
Null-Indicative (KAAG); Null-Scum Indicative (mhsmith)

28. In , Yawn writes "if the balance of my strong player reads are in favour." He later writes in , "I mean I'm happy to vote if the balance of my town reads are in favor." -
The clarification is rather vague and makes no sense to me. Skimming through, I see that the "English" translation of what you are saying is in - You have to be clear in what yiu say. It has to be readable for other players and cannot be ambiguous. While occasional typos may alter meanings significantly, you should strive to avoid such. When someone asks you to clarify, restating what you just said verbatim prob. isn't going to help: in fact, clarification is generally requested when someone doesn't understand someone, not because of other reasons. Overall, I'm starting to like Yawn's posts a bit better, but for the parts I highlighted here, it's simply -
Null-Indicative

29. Mhsmith expresses a decent townread of Ryu in (by decent, I mean not weak but not strong) -
I kinda dislike your read here. It reads fairly well to me as towards the town direction, but in terms of it being your top read, I disagree. Ryu hasn't really done anything noteworthy and he definitely has not earned himself a townread. People always get focused on one specific person who really sticks out, in this case it was mainly Ryu with a side of Yawning. So, in other words, I think you are expressing a strong townread on Ryu for non-alignment reasons & I feel that Ryu most certainly shouldn't be your top townread at this point. This is a pre-flip association, but this reads as "Ryu & I are scum. Ryu is under heavy suspicion and has decided to kinda lurk to avoid more unwanted attn. Since Ryu has cast a lot of wifom, I will be able to call the cases on him weak & use this to support an otherwise unusually strong townread on this slot." You said stuff about holding people accountable; I agree and feel you are not holding Ryu accountable for his actions. -
Scum-Indicative

30. Mhsmith is pushing meta arguments against UTL -
First of all, I take this as null for mhsmih. But one thing that I want to initially address, as I think I'm starting to see evidence of this happening forming, is that tunneling aka conf bias is bad for town. Mhsmith seems to be too keen on scum UTL despite her pretty decent defense. The use of meta exacerbate the extent of mhsmith's focus on UTL. Tunneling isn't alignment indicative in most cases, but that doesn't mean it hurts town. Always keep in mind that a player can be town unless the mod specifically tells you otherwise.

Now, as I have recently played a newbie with UTL (who was town cop), I would say that UTL has seemed to take a bit more under-the-radar stance as she did in Mini 1755 (where she was scum). But, I am of the suspicion that D1 is rather weak for her and she truly cannot keep up, so overall, I'm still reading that null. I see a willingness to help which means a good bit to me. -
Null-Indicative

31. - KAAG finally explains something that has been bothering me for a bit but I didn't note -
This is the PRIME example of where ambiguity can be very confusing. What KAAG originally wrote sounded like a contradiction s mhsmith pointed out: it sounded as if KAAG had found the overall motivations to be *at*least town-motivated. This was not what KAAG was saying, but only now does it make sense: What KAAG meant was HBG's motivation for his post was the least towniest; aka the scummiest. -
Null-Scum-Indicative
- for not realizing the ambiguity of the post despite being asked 5+ times.

32. Summer provides a readlist in -
Looks authentic to me, but one thing I find weird is you included UTL twice with two opposite reads of her. Can I ask why that was the case? I have a feeling you were trying to emphasize a point when doing so rather than trying to manipulate/WIFOM us. -
Town Indicative

Food for thought: I think that we can agree that lurking, in general, keeps you out of people's sight. But, could the opposite be true: could posting too much be a tactic to avoid attention. If you post a lot, people are more likely to skim you, and what few mistakes you do make make go unnoticed. Aka, lots of posting can act as a distraction. Keep this in mind, specifically @Mhsmith.

34. Mhsmith continues to push  case against KAAG in -
Which is it: scum trying to push a mislynch or town guilty of confirmation bias? It is quite evident to me though that you still don't understand what KAAG said, which reads a bit.... off to me as KAAG was pretty clear in his latest clarification on that. Your case also seems to revolve around that point, which makes it weak to me. -
Scum-Indicative

I think I'm gonna conclude the latter, cuz of . I would say a miracle just happened; I was starting to develop quite a scumread of mhsmith, but mhsmith just totally flipped it. The reaction seems extremely authentic & mhsmith's reactions & interactions with KAAG on this new page are solidifying my town read of KAAG.

36. by Summer -
Reminds of a few situations I've been in here. I don't have any scum meta yet, but really reads to me as newbie confusion. -
Town-Indicative

37. by UTL questions a lot of things Summer has recently done -
All of the points mentioned really read as newbtown. Also, about the pinging of one's radar -- I would take that as a scumread too. -
Null-Indicative

38.UTL's now stuck in a Summer tunnel -
I really, REALLY hope you reconsider. Remember how we dealt with MeNow in our last game together; I would prefer not to see something similar happen to Summer. A lot of the things you've pointed out to me read as newbie: OMGUS, inadvertent contrdicting oneself, general confusion & uncertainty about what to do, etc. I'd advise you back away from your tunnel & reconsider.(/i]

39. In response to UTL's -
I will try. I think I will be a bit more... active & useful here as this one is a bit more interesting.

All spoilered info from me like above is required reading. It has been spoilered for your convenience (so as to keep the thread short), but almost all of the important stuff I say are contained within spoilers. You don't have to read them in their entirety immediately. But, I hold you accountable for whatever I write in them; blatantly ignore them at your own peril!!!

@UTL & Anyone else who this is relevant to: I apologize if I get the gender pronoun wrong. I use "he" generically, partially because it is the shortest. Also, I tend to *ahem* not pay attention to the proper pronouns.

Tada, srry it took so long *blames mhsmith for wall after wall*. I'll post reads later.
Last edited by Jackal711 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Post by Ircher »

Spoiler: Reads
Confirmed Town
(From my perspective) (98%-100% Confidence)
Ircher  (100%) - Role PM

Likely Town
(85%-97% Confidence)
Mhsmith (95%) - A lot of this gets covered in my notes. The thing that really makes me townread Mhsmith though is when he finally realizes what KAAG was meaning to say. He couldn't see it past his tunnel.
KAAG (93%) - Nice early game & is engaged and trying to solve the game.
Summer (92%) - I see Summer doing lots of stuff that either a) I've done myself or b) Are common things newbies do. This is more than just a newbtown read though, I see a willingness to help out and to scumhunt.

Leaning Town
(60%-84% Confidence)
Aeronaut (65%) - The lurking has really dropped my confidence in this read. Overall, you seem to be scumhunting, so I'll lean town for now.
UTL (75%) - Tbh, a bit mixed here, but gut says Utl is town.

Null
(0% - 30% Confidence; No/Very Weak Read)

Neutral
(31%-59% Confidence; Mixed Read)
Yawn (-40%) - I really want to say this slot is town like Summer, but I don't see the same level of commitment as I do from Summer.

Leaning Scum
(60%-75% Confidence)
Green (-75%) - Has yet to post; I am very suspicious of a slot that replaces out multiple times. (Njac of Newbie 1666)

Likely Scum
(76%-100% Confidence)
Egg (-90%) - This slot has not been useful at all. I've seen zero scumhunting here and I don't understand why people are townreading this slot.
GreenNope
GreenNope
Townie
GreenNope
Townie
Townie

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Post by GreenNope »

In post 349, Jackal711 wrote:
In post 328, Ircher wrote:
@Mod Can we have like an extra 24 hrs?

Granted, partly because one of last night's replacements hasn't posted yet and may need replacing.

Deadline is now Tuesday, March 22nd 2016 at 11:45 pm PDT or in (expired on 2016-03-22 23:45:00)

Sorry, I thought you would have to respond back once I confirm. Anyway, i'm here.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

@ircher: ryu/egg: lurker policy lynch or genuine scum read? If the latter please expand on your thinking. And my do you disagree on my read of ya's 282? If so why?
SummerInWonderland
SummerInWonderland
Goon
SummerInWonderland
Goon
Goon

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Post by SummerInWonderland »

Hey guys I will probably post in a bit- I wanted to wait and see what others were saying about what was going on.
just looking I dont like the Aeronauts case against mhmsmith.
I wanted to hear more from KAAG about UTLs case because its something I am convinced on.
Ill go into stuff either tonight or tomorrow morning just giving a heads up.
Curiouser and curiouser!
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Post is a glowing example of how to catch-up. Kudos to you Ircher. :)

I kinda agree with your reads, apart from UTL. It's more what happened after mhsmith0's case on her that has hurt my read there. I don't just think her tunnel on SIW is wrong, I think it's opportunistic.

I agree with enough of your catch-up and reads to forget my scum-lean on your predecessor, certainly.

However, Aeronaut's vote on mhsmith0 is beyond puzzling...I don't agree with mhs on Eggman either (see post ), but to think that because he's (arguably) incorrect here, all the other REAMS of towny sounding content from him should be ignored is strange.

Aeronaut says "UTL is 'Town For Today'"...but mhs is scum? This is frankly ridiculous when you compare their postings.

I don't think Aero is scum (although my confidence is shaken), and I don't think he's a fool. I
speculate
that he is white-knighting her because they are friends. It's the only thing I can see that fits these facts:

- Aero is town
- UTL is acting scummily
- Aero says "Town for Today" on UTL
- Aero votes obv!town mhsmith0

Aeronaut, please rebut me here. I want a UTL lynch today at this stage and I need to understand why this should not occur.

mhsmith0, I am tempted to move YA up to fence!town, because I like his recent responses, and I have no issue with voting for Eggman. Has anything changed for you on YA or are you still thinking he is scum?

{KAAG}
{SummerInWonderland, mhsmith0}
{Aeronaut, YawningAngel}
{Ircher, GreenNope} -- NULL LINE
{Eggman}
{UpTooLate}
force
you to be right...
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

I'd like to see what aero says for himself after catching up before saying much. Im thoroughly unimpressed by his vote and want him to account for himself. I'll reread YA, but 282 was so horrific that I'm really struggling. Toss in the possibility of competent day chat coaching... I'll re read but I'm skeptical I'll change my mind.

Egg still seems mainly like a policy lynch for lurking and vaguely scummy behavior. If egg is scum, his buddy has balls of steel for letting egg progress this way or egg is totally ignoring scum chat. Or it's a team of two total newbs I guess. None of those narratives seem at all convincing to me. I still see his slot as easy mislynch bait.

Ps there's a pithy (and a bit jerkish) quote from my former gm in a different game summarizing my thoughts. I'll look it up and share.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Anyway here's the quote which is both awesome and fairly relevant. We don't have oddball mechanics so "he's scum because of a stupid idea on mechanics" doesn't apply, but the rest seems awfully relevant

Almost every game some townie comes in early d1 and proposes the equivalent of: "Let's all drop our trousers and sing the marseillaise" and becomes an instant vote magnet for townies who don't know what actual scumhunting is and then when it looks safe to do so some scum beats their chest about how scummy the muppet is and dumps his vote amongst the lazy townie votes. Ergo, Peanut is surely town as he's playing townie Fozzie Bear in this play...

Sub in Ryu/egg for peanut and lurking/crappy communication for stupid mechanics theories and ideas and you have your analogue.

Guess what? I am making it NOT SAFE for scum to just dump in lazy votes and join the easy wagon on the easy kind of scummy looking mislynch bait guy. You want to vote egg? Make me believe you believe he's scum. Sell it. Own it. Because if you just dump in a vote for "reasons" or "he just seemed scummy to me" or similar lazy bs reasons you had best believe you're going to come under heavy fire on d2 unless you get super lucky on this slot.

Ps scum LOVE policy lynch votes. They love it because THEY DONT HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT OR COMMIT TO EXPLAINING THEIR PROCESS OR REASONS. Instead of "here's my theory on what he said and why it's scum indicative" or "I pressured him hard and he only seemed scummier"... It's just "oh he did x and it's a policy lynch" (or they effectively say it without being so explicit on the point). Easy dodge of accountability. And if it's a lurker? Even easier since he won't push back.

PPS yes Ryu/egg could be scum. But I find it FAR more plausible that he's simply an easy place for scum to park their eventual votes on day one without needed to come under fire for having screwed up. And I'm fighting as hard against that outcome as I can. NO LAZY VOTES. You want to vote him? Own that vote. Justify it. Explain your thinking, not just on him but on why he's a better case than all the others. Lazy votes ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. Period.
YawningAngel
YawningAngel
Goon
YawningAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:41 am

Post by YawningAngel »

Fuck that noise, that's idiotic.

Go look at #360 for an excellent example of how to recover a slot that looks scummy due to lurking. It's literally on this page. If Eggman wants to not die, that really is all he's got to do.

Until he produces such a post, this argument seems utterly absurd to me. His play could not be more toxic to the town at this juncture if he was trying. It's astounding to me that the irony of you telling a parable about mislynch bait
while the scummiest player in the game bar none is trying to get someone who is mislynch bait lynched
is lost on you. Eggman's
entire
contribution has been one badly-authored post accusing me, which I will now quote the relevant parts of.

In post 224, Eggman wrote:Alright, so here are my first feelings.
YA - like someone said before, it looks like he isn't very much talking about this game as opposed to mafia games overall? Leaning mafioso.

Smith, Aeronaut, Eggman

UTL, KAAG

Aatami

YA, Heybox

Going off of this, I'm gonna VOTE: YawningAngel.

Aside from this, he's apparently been "await[ing my] big post with excitement" for a little over 48h. Unless you're seriously suggesting I've posted nothing substantive for him to criticise, this is just bullshit. That is every. single. thought. that. he. has. posted. He could not be contributing less if he actively tried to, and I think voting him is eminently reasonable because I don't see how he could be any scummier. I've "owned" this position, as you like to say, from the off and I'm sticking straight to my guns, thanks. For all your talk of accountability, letting fragrant lurking go without being called out for the anti-town BS that it is seems ridiculous
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:09 am

Post by Ircher »

While scum could certainly be among the active (Summer, UTL, KAAG, mhsmith); I believe there's w high prob. of one of the lurkers to be scum (Egg, Green). Then, my slot & Yawn & Aero are kinda rpthe so-so activity. Out of all the lurkers, Egg's slot sticks out as the slot putting the least effort in this game. All of the posts the slot have posted (very few btw) have been defensive. Moreso, I don't see any evidence of scumhunting from the slot, unlike Yawn. Aatami/Green is a wildcard sloy imho.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:23 am

Post by Ircher »

And, yes, it's a genuine scumread
Eggman
Eggman
Goon
Eggman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:06 am

Post by Eggman »

UNVOTE: YawningAngel
I'm, uh, not feeling it any more. Although I will note that it seems to me he's getting more aggresive with every post.
I admit that I'm useless. Sorry, Ryu, hope I didn't let you down.
I haven't been scumhunting because I honestly don't have any reads.
I'm a Vanilla Townie, which may have been some logic to why I haven't been putting in the effort.
I'm not gonna vote for myself, as that's the first rule of Towniness, so somebody vote me I guess. I'm sorry. I don't want to swap out and put anyone else in this situation, whether they're new to Mafia or super experienced.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 371, Eggman wrote:UNVOTE: YawningAngel
I'm, uh, not feeling it any more. Although I will note that it seems to me he's getting more aggresive with every post.
I admit that I'm useless. Sorry, Ryu, hope I didn't let you down.
I haven't been scumhunting because I honestly don't have any reads.
I'm a Vanilla Townie, which may have been some logic to why I haven't been putting in the effort.
I'm not gonna vote for myself, as that's the first rule of Towniness, so somebody vote me I guess. I'm sorry. I don't want to swap out and put anyone else in this situation, whether they're new to Mafia or super experienced.

Seriously egg, TRY. Come up with reads and theories. There's plenty of content here, and you won't learn anything if you don't engage with the game. Refusing to engage with the game under fire is (IMO) your first genuinely scummy move; only scum don't want to leave a legacy of reads and thoughts, since once they flip people can genuinely read into them.
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:11 am

Eggman,

If you are really a VT, you've just hurt town claiming on D1. Instead of looking for PRs in a set of 7, they will be looking in a set of 6.

You'd have been better off requesting replacement if you're not up for the fight.

There will possibly/probably (depending on whether we find scum on D1) come a time when we are in MYLO or LYLO. For newbies:

MYLO = Mislynch And Lose: if town mislynches, we lose, but town could decide to no lynch, which will put us into LYLO after a night kill
LYLO = Lynch Or Lose: we MUST lynch correctly or scum wins

I don't see how we can allow you to get into that situation with that attitude...and because you've claimed VT, if you ARE town, scum won't kill you. :(

If you won't try, you essentially become a policy lynch, either today or tomorrow. So I do kindly request that you try.
force
you to be right...
YawningAngel
YawningAngel
Goon
YawningAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:54 am

Post by YawningAngel »

+1 to Smith and Giggle. Being forced to policy lynch town is not in our interests

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”