Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #600 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 am

Post by Wraith »

Couple-three observations I want to make:

1. I've had a soft townread on Espeonage for a while now but his pick has made me pretty confident about that read.

2. I've had a major scumread on drealmerz for a while now and his pick has made me extremely confident in that read.

3. I'm nervous about MoI's pick because I know he's a good player. MoI, just realize that if you use your ability without the town's collective sanction I'll be the first to lead the lynch mob.

In non-game-related talk...
Is The Thing remake any good / worth watching? I usually abhore remakes, and am almost ideologically opposed to them, but, BUT, there have been some remakes that have been worthwhile, so I don't "just say no" and well, with this game and me being a remake character, I'm thinking maybe I should watch it? Would love some feedback.
It's meh in my opinion. The original is a masterpiece of psychological horror and tension. The fear in it relies less on seeing the monster (you see The Thing(s) in monstrous form very few times throughout the film) and traditional scares and more on the unsettling creepiness of "It could literally be anyone, we can't trust any character on-screen." While I'd had some of it spoiled for me, there were several characters who I believed were either human or Thing throughout the movie and was shocked when they turned out to be one or the other in the end.

The 2011 prequel is much more of a traditional monster movie. You see the Thing(s) a lot and most of the horror is centered around body horror and seeing characters meet gruesome ends. Where the original heightened the tension by carefully keeping certain characters on- and off-screen at specific times, the prequel plays fast and loose with the timeline to the point where I was constantly wondering "When/How the fuck did [character] get/not get assimilated?" However, there are some neat continuity nods and call backs to the original film that are nice; at the same time, the story of the prequel also doesn't 100% fit well with what was implied in the original film. Personally, I think it's better to just watch the original and leave the question of "What the hell exactly happened at the Norwegian base?" up to your imagination.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #601 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:35 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

forgive the noobness but:

waoah owah woah owah...hold on and let me process...

hydrae have PT?!!!????!!!

I thought part of the point of it all was that it was 2 heads with 1 body and the heads were unable coordinate together and were more of chaotic independently motivated things bound by a singular body, equating to 1 account with 2 people controlling it but not being able to "be of 1 mind" (using a PT) - how is this not a huge advantage? 2 brains working on the same game with the same information vs. other ppl who are singular? wait...let me process...I at least was thinking that was balanced by the chaos of the dual-minds.

I don't think I like hydrae. my head hurts a little

I'll try to not be too disconcerted that DT didn't utilize this before hand and made those posts without consultation. I'd be flippin flippin if that was my partner.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #602 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:36 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

EBWOP (shock makes me poorly articulate)

I'm not new to playing, just newb to hydra concept. I've never played a game with them / only became aware they were such a thing in the past couple months.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #603 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:38 am

Post by SirCakez »

In post 601, drealmerz7 wrote:I thought part of the point of it all was that it was 2 heads with 1 body and the heads were unable coordinate together and were more of chaotic independently motivated things bound by a singular body, equating to 1 account with 2 people controlling it but not being able to "be of 1 mind" (using a PT) - how is this not a huge advantage? 2 brains working on the same game with the same information vs. other ppl who are singular? wait...let me process...I at least was thinking that was balanced by the chaos of the dual-minds.
This gave me an awesome idea for a game setup.

Yeah, hydras get PTs to talk in.
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #604 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:42 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 600, Wraith wrote:more The Things stuff
okay thanks very much, actually, that sounds more like the sort of view I have about movies

I look forward to more feedback from others

Anyone ever see that episode of X-Files that is almost exactly like The Thing?
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #605 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:43 am

Post by SirCakez »

In post 604, drealmerz7 wrote:
In post 600, Wraith wrote:more The Things stuff
okay thanks very much, actually, that sounds more like the sort of view I have about movies

I look forward to more feedback from others

Anyone ever see that episode of X-Files that is almost exactly like The Thing?
There's more then one :P
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #606 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:45 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 603, SirCakez wrote:
This gave me an awesome idea for a game setup.

Yeah, hydras get PTs to talk in.
Yeah there is some good potential there! Go for it!

MPD roles!
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #607 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:51 am

Post by Creature »

Let's follow Titus (unless it's a scum slot)
Sigh
Double Trouble
Double Trouble
Goon
Double Trouble
Goon
Goon

Post Post #608 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:52 am

Post by Double Trouble »

In post 607, Creature wrote:Let's follow Titus (unless it's a scum slot)
? Does this mean you're taking my suggestion?
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #609 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:54 am

Post by McMenno »

let's... let's not
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #610 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 am

Post by Creature »

Roles left:
In post 3, SirCakez wrote:
The People of the Station

Spoiler: Childs
Welcome to The Thing Mafia (player)!

You are Childs, a 1-shot Transferrable Bulletproof

"So, how do we know who's human? If I was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know if it was really me? "

Abilities

-During the day, you may vote for whoever you want burned on suspicion of being a thing.
-You possess a 1-shot Bulletproof vest that will protect you from one murder attempt.
-During nighttime, you may transfer your vest to another person in the same room as you. They will receive it at the end of the night. This take priority over nightkill attempts. The receiver of the vest may continue to transfer it in the same manner.

The game thread is here: (game thread link here)

Spoiler: Nauls

You are Nauls, a Variable Compulsive Food Vendor

"Where are we goin'?"

Abilities

-During the day, you may vote for whoever you want burned on suspicion of being a thing.
-Each night, you may either vend food to 1 person in any room, or vend food to everyone in the room you are in. Players who receive food are told they have been vended food at the end of the night.

Spoiler: Kate Lloyd

You are Kate Lloyd, a Room Blocker

"It attacks its prey, copies it perfectly and then hides inside it."

Abilities

-Each Room Phase, you may choose a room to be barricaded and blocked off for the night. Anyone attempting to go to that room during that Room Phase will be redirected to the next room on the list that is not full.

Spoiler: Adam Finch

You are Adam Finch, a 2-shot Commuter

"You know, I never believed in this shit."

Abilities

-Twice, at night you may find a hiding spot and hide out there for the night. No one will be able to target you with night actions and you will not be able to perform night actions that night.

Spoiler: Colin

You are Colin, a Triple Specific Roleblocker

"You need me on the radio. Tell her she can't tie me up for having healthy teeth, boss. Tell her."

Abilities

-Each night, you may send in the names of three other players. If any of these players try to target you, they will fail.

The Identities of the Players

Goatmeal - Garry
Fire Assassin - Halverson
McMenno - Palmer
Hi Im Yakko - Copper
Errantparabola - Edvard
Generation X - MacReady
Flames682 - Bennings
Creature - Derek
Wraith - Peder
Untrod Tripod - Clark
Tammy - Windows
Yume - Blair
Andrius - Carter
MagnaOfIllusion - Norris
Espeonage - Fuchs
drealmerz7 - Lars
Sigh
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #611 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:01 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 600, Wraith wrote:3. I'm nervous about MoI's pick because I know he's a good player. MoI, just realize that if you use your ability without the town's collective sanction I'll be the first to lead the lynch mob.
I think this is understood for all blocking roles ...

My question is - do you not think Andrius is a good player? He picked a very similar role just in front of me.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #612 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am

Post by Wraith »

In post 611, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In post 600, Wraith wrote:3. I'm nervous about MoI's pick because I know he's a good player. MoI, just realize that if you use your ability without the town's collective sanction I'll be the first to lead the lynch mob.
I think this is understood for all blocking roles ...

My question is - do you not think Andrius is a good player? He picked a very similar role just in front of me.
I do think he is, it's just that when someone uses the JK it's a lot easier to deduce...I think?
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #613 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 am

Post by Creature »

In post 608, Double Trouble wrote:
? Does this mean you're taking my suggestion?
What suggestion?
Sigh
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #614 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:05 am

Post by Wraith »

Double Trouble if you're town I strongly suggest taking either Kate Lloyd or Colin if only for denial purposes.

I think originally misunderstood what the Room Blocker did. I thought she "barricaded" a room and protected the occupants against outside actions. Not nearly as powerful as I thought.
Show

MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #615 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:06 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 612, Wraith wrote:I do think he is, it's just that when someone uses the JK it's a lot easier to deduce...I think?
Why would you think that? People aren't informed that they are Jailkept.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #616 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:08 am

Post by Wraith »

In post 615, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In post 612, Wraith wrote:I do think he is, it's just that when someone uses the JK it's a lot easier to deduce...I think?
Why would you think that? People aren't informed that they are Jailkept.
I originally thought that was the case but I realized my mistake a little while ago.

I feel it's a lot easier for the town to direct a Jailkeeper's night action and deduce whether or not they did as instructed. That's what I meant to say.
Show

Double Trouble
Double Trouble
Goon
Double Trouble
Goon
Goon

Post Post #617 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 am

Post by Double Trouble »

In post 614, Wraith wrote:Double Trouble if you're town I strongly suggest taking either Kate Lloyd or Colin if only for denial purposes.

I think originally misunderstood what the Room Blocker did. I thought she "barricaded" a room and protected the occupants against outside actions. Not nearly as powerful as I thought.
Denial, you mean from scum?
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #618 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:12 am

Post by Wraith »

In post 617, Double Trouble wrote:
In post 614, Wraith wrote:Double Trouble if you're town I strongly suggest taking either Kate Lloyd or Colin if only for denial purposes.

Yes
Show

drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #619 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:12 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

another question:

In The Thing (2011) does Lars drink much? or use illicit substances? he looks like that sort of guy...how appropriate for a bus driver if so?
Double Trouble
Double Trouble
Goon
Double Trouble
Goon
Goon

Post Post #620 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:13 am

Post by Double Trouble »

In post 618, Wraith wrote:

Yes
Isn't Childs a better option for that?
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #621 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:14 am

Post by Wraith »

In post 620, Double Trouble wrote:
In post 618, Wraith wrote:

Yes
Isn't Childs a better option for that?
Maybe. But I think the scum have more to fear from a lynching than a Vig shot.
Show

Double Trouble
Double Trouble
Goon
Double Trouble
Goon
Goon

Post Post #622 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:14 am

Post by Double Trouble »

Like the first rule of Mafia for most is investigate Titus, so I have no business taking a commuter.
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #623 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:39 am

Post by Tammy »

Spiffeh - I'm good. I don't need you to wait on me.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Double Trouble
Double Trouble
Goon
Double Trouble
Goon
Goon

Post Post #624 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:45 am

Post by Double Trouble »

Hey Tammy, what do you want us to take? You seem to have a plan here.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”