Newbie 1768: Party Mafia - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:23 am

Post by JaeReed »

I think Tojam and sparkles are town.
"Jae defends his townreads like a fanatic" - Charloux
"On the issue of myself they go back and forth between overpowering paranoia and absolute certainty I'm town... it's kind of exhausting." - Nahdia
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:24 am

Post by JaeReed »

Anyone want to tell me why I might think that?
"On the issue of myself they go back and forth between overpowering paranoia and absolute certainty I'm town... it's kind of exhausting." - Nahdia
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:27 am

Post by JaeReed »

In post 19, nancy wrote:My first post was a decoy. Played right into my hands.

VOTE: Vote: JaeReed
Why me instead of tojam, who also told you how to vote correctly?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:43 am

Post by nancy »

In post 27, JaeReed wrote:
In post 19, nancy wrote:My first post was a decoy. Played right into my hands.

VOTE: Vote: JaeReed
Why me instead of tojam, who also told you how to vote correctly?
If I told you that, I'd have to kill you.

:o
TriangleShark
TriangleShark
Townie
TriangleShark
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:19 am

Post by TriangleShark »

Howdy folks :) Happy new year!

VOTE: Bulbazoor
Because everybody deserves some love <3
Doubt them. Question them, suspect them, and take a good, long look into their hearts. Humans are the kinds of beings who can’t put their pain into words, after all.
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:01 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

In post 18, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 10, Agent Sparkles wrote:@kentofan @Bulbazoor

If I'm not mistaken, you'll be replaced if you don't confirm within the 72 hours.
why are you acting like a moderator?

VOTE: Agent Sparkles
I'm guessing that question is just for RVS purposes, but if you actually want it answered, I'm just reminding the inactive players so that they don't get kicked from the game. And for obvious reasons, it's helpful to have as many active players as possible.
In post 21, nancy wrote:EccentricLemon seems pretty wishywashy to me. Switching votes for dubious reasons and suspicious of people called "Agent"? Clear scumtell. Serious.
In post 22, nancy wrote:Also, saying hello to people as first post? Obvious survival tactics.
I really hope you're messing with us.

Fixed quote tag
Last edited by SirCakez on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:17 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

In post 26, JaeReed wrote:Anyone want to tell me why I might think that?
Probably because of this:
In post 9, tojam2 wrote:Also DO NOT TELL ANYONE IN THIS THREAD YOUR ROLE, regardless of its towniness.

@nancy: Encompass your vote with VOTE: [./v] (ignore the dot) to make it bold.
And I guess because I pinged the inactive players to get them to do something. Am I right about those?
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:24 am

Post by JaeReed »

@Sparkles have you played elsewhere?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 am

Post by nancy »

I would never.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:35 am

Post by nancy »

- That was in response to #30. :o
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 am

Post by SirCakez »

Votecount 1.1

GuiltyLion (3) - Agent Sparkles, JaeReed, EccentricLemon
EccentricLemon (1) - tojam2
JaeReed (1) - nancy
Agent Sparkles (1) - GuiltyLion
Bulbazoor (1) - TriangleShark

Not voting (2) - kentofan, Bulbazoor

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch someone.

(expired on 2017-01-16 11:14:00) remain until day end
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
EccentricLemon
EccentricLemon
Goon
EccentricLemon
Goon
Goon
Location: Land of the meanies but also the home of the porkroll.

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:41 am

Post by EccentricLemon »

I see you have missed me, but I guess that fact that no one else voted for me is a good sign.

I still stand by my vote since I have not received any new information about GuiltyLion and no other posts have convinced me about the scumminess of any other player.
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:52 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

In post 32, JaeReed wrote:@Sparkles have you played elsewhere?
I've played a few games with my IRL friends, but not the way that it's played on this forum. I did skim over a couple of threads in the Micro section to get a better idea of how things work, though.

Nancy, I still have a feeling that you're just trolling, but I hope you realize that your vote at the beginning was just as random as Ecentric's or anyone else's. It's not like they're meant to be taken seriousy yet anyway.
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:05 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

In post 36, EccentricLemon wrote:I still stand by my vote since I have not received any new information about GuiltyLion and no other posts have convinced me about the scumminess of any other player.
Are you saying that GuiltyLion is the only scummy one, or that no one is scummy so far? It could be taken either way.
tojam2
tojam2
Goon
tojam2
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Post by tojam2 »

Jae, I honestly can't work that out myself. Unless that's your way of stirring up conversation and starting the hunt, which I'm going to read you as Towny for.
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Post by JaeReed »

In post 7, tojam2 wrote:VOTE: EccentricLemon

Lemons are inanimate as you well know.
This is an easygoing RVS post. It means less since tojam is experienced but I always like getting initial reads like this. I find the "easygoing, natural posting" RVS tell is more applicable to raw newbies, though. It means that the person isn't thinking so much about how to appear townie by forcing jokes and just...posting.

Nulltown vibes.

Spoiler: Sparkles
In post 6, Agent Sparkles wrote:Let's get this show on the road
In post 10, Agent Sparkles wrote:VOTE: VOTE: GuiltyLion

The name says it all, he's guilty and he's lion. Also keep an eye out for TriangleShark, because the triangle part implies he's working with the illuminati.

@kentofan @Bulbazoor

If I'm not mistaken, you'll be replaced if you don't confirm within the 72 hours.
In post 11, Agent Sparkles wrote:Didn't know that encompassing in VOTE: [./v] that would automatically add a VOTE: into it.

VOTE: GuiltyLion

That's better.
In post 12, Agent Sparkles wrote:I still got it wrong, RIP me

So there's a reason I asked Sparkles about experience.

Imagine this is your first game and you drew scum. Do you spam the thread like this, or do you carefully craft your first post while being shit scared of saying the wrong thing?

Also @newbies you can hit the preview button to see how your post would look in thread, which is sometimes useful.
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Post by JaeReed »

In post 39, tojam2 wrote:Jae, I honestly can't work that out myself. Unless that's your way of stirring up conversation and starting the hunt, which I'm going to read you as Towny for.
It's my way of getting the newbies to think about what could be alignment indicative in the thread so far and seeing how they tend to scumhunt (whether they lean more towards logic or gut) along with giving the perspective that yes, some people are scumhunting during RVS. It's an indirect way of putting on pressure while doing so, as well.

Do you have reads besides that one?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Post by nancy »

@Jae I assume you're referring to me with "forced jokes". I was attempting to start the thread off in a light-hearted manner, unaware that the atmosphere on scum was so severe. I don't agree with your nulltown reading of toejam. Your read only applies if everyone on mafia has the same personality or playstyle.

@toejam I don't see that as a TR. Saying you've read him a Town for starting discussion seems to me like the start of buddying up, which I would read as scum (I was already gutreading you as scum), and which also makes me think that he is Town. Unless you counted on someone making that analysis, in which case he could just as well be your partner, which takes him back to a null read.
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Post by Agent Sparkles »

In post 40, JaeReed wrote:
Imagine this is your first game and you drew scum. Do you spam the thread like this, or do you carefully craft your first post while being shit scared of saying the wrong thing?

Also @newbies you can hit the preview button to see how your post would look in thread, which is sometimes useful.
Didn't mean for that to turn into spam, but yeah, I'd probably be hyper-cautious as scum. And I've already taken note of previewing.

Quick question, how do you unvote?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Post by nancy »

Ugh. I'm sorry Jae I used the wrong pronoun.
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Post by JaeReed »

In post 44, nancy wrote:Ugh. I'm sorry Jae I used the wrong pronoun.
All good.
In post 43, Agent Sparkles wrote:
In post 40, JaeReed wrote:

Didn't mean for that to turn into spam, but yeah, I'd probably be hyper-cautious as scum. And I've already taken note of previewing.

Quick question, how do you unvote?

Code: Select all

[unvote][/unvote] or [uv][/uv]

Will come out as:
UNVOTE:
JaeReed
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
JaeReed
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Post by JaeReed »

In post 42, nancy wrote:@Jae I assume you're referring to me with "forced jokes". I was attempting to start the thread off in a light-hearted manner, unaware that the atmosphere on scum was so severe. I don't agree with your nulltown reading of toejam. Your read only applies if everyone on mafia has the same personality or playstyle.

@toejam I don't see that as a TR. Saying you've read him a Town for starting discussion seems to me like the start of buddying up, which I would read as scum (I was already gutreading you as scum), and which also makes me think that he is Town. Unless you counted on someone making that analysis, in which case he could just as well be your partner, which takes him back to a null read.
This feels overdefensive and I dislike the attempt to break down townreads here.

That said, I like the thought about buddying because that did cross my mind too.

To clarify: Was making a general statement about forced jokes, not really commenting on anyone in this game.

Why were you gutreading tojam as scum? Gut reads tend to come from somewhere, so it's best if you explore why you had that feeling and try to articulate that so that others might be able to see it too. What did you dislike about his posting prior to that post?

What's your experience with mafia?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Post by nancy »

In post 46, JaeReed wrote:
In post 42, nancy wrote:@Jae I assume you're referring to me with "forced jokes". I was attempting to start the thread off in a light-hearted manner, unaware that the atmosphere on scum was so severe. I don't agree with your nulltown reading of toejam. Your read only applies if everyone on mafia has the same personality or playstyle.

This feels overdefensive and I dislike the attempt to break down townreads here.

That said, I like the thought about buddying because that did cross my mind too.

To clarify: Was making a general statement about forced jokes, not really commenting on anyone in this game.

Why were you gutreading tojam as scum? Gut reads tend to come from somewhere, so it's best if you explore why you had that feeling and try to articulate that so that others might be able to see it too. What did you dislike about his posting prior to that post?

What's your experience with mafia?
Which part reads overdefensively? I'm operating under the assumption that we should try to break down any read, whether town, scum, or null, and that if a read is good it'll stand up to scrutiny by others. Given those two assumptions, am not sure I understand why you'd dislike an attempt to dissect reads and provide discussion material, unless you thought my attempt was ill-reasoned, in which case I'd be interested to hear about which parts were ill-reasoned.

I have no idea why I'm gutreading toejam as scum, but it came with his first two posts, #7 & #9.

Now I've realized there may be a terminology issue here. Are you using "dislike" as equivalent to "read as scum"?

My experience with forum mafia - I've modded 1 mafia and participated in 1 mafia on another non-mafia forum (this activity is ongoing). I've also read Vi's Jailbreak Mini and a small percentage of the material on mafiascum wiki, but neither of those would really count as "experience". Non-forum mafia - I played the party game as a child, and I joined up on EM 2-3 months ago. (I recognize kentofan from there, heh.)
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Post by Agent Sparkles »

In post 39, tojam2 wrote:Jae, I honestly can't work that out myself. Unless that's your way of stirring up conversation and starting the hunt, which I'm going to read you as Towny for.
This doesn't really resonate with me. Stirring up discussion alone is something that anyone can easily do, and in my opinion, not a very good basis for reads. JaeReed also earned some townie points with me for that post, but it's because of the way he purposely didn't explain himself and left it up to everyone else to think about, which seems like a genuine town strategy. I do think it's possible that you were thinking along these lines and just weren't as specific about it.
In post 42, nancy wrote:Your read only applies if everyone on mafia has the same personality or playstyle.
You could use this logic against countless types of legitimate reads. Just because not everyone has the same playstyle doesn't mean you should ignore the subtle differences in the styles of people's messages. People aren't computers; there's almost always some kind of sign that people are genuine or pretending.
In post 42, nancy wrote:@toejam I don't see that as a TR. Saying you've read him a Town for starting discussion seems to me like the start of buddying up, which I would read as scum
Maybe. I'm a bit hesitant to scumread him for that because of reasons I mentioned above.

I'll finish replying to messages after I eat dinner.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 30, Agent Sparkles wrote:I'm guessing that question is just for RVS purposes, but if you actually want it answered, I'm just reminding the inactive players so that they don't get kicked from the game. And for obvious reasons, it's helpful to have as many active players as possible.
But why do you think bulba/kento would need to see your post to remember that they have to confirm? If they're reading this thread, they would already know they need to confirm and participate, no?
In post 47, nancy wrote:I'm operating under the assumption that we should try to break down any read, whether town, scum, or null, and that if a read is good it'll stand up to scrutiny by others.
I want to talk about this. What do you mean by "good" read - a read that is accurate or a read that is justified? In my experience, scum like to make everyone's reads about logic and evidence, because those things are easier to twist or poke holes at. If a player happens to accurately (but perhaps illogically) townread a townie, there isn't a pro-town benefit to breaking down that read unless it is actively helping sort the player who gave the townread. Whereas it helps scum to jump in and weaken townreads, as it keeps the lynchpool wider.

Also, because scum already know who is town, when asked about their fake townreads they can usually explain them convincingly. Scumreads are harder to fake.

IMO the most effective townplay is scrutinizing and justifying scumreads, not townreads
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”