Newbie 1817 - Bolo (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:31 am

Post by FancyPants »

In post 49, FrozenMagpie wrote:
In post 47, FancyPants wrote:Hopefully people are just busy on the weekend, what are your thoughts since you're about?
Uh, I'm not really thinking much. You and Aster have a small thing going but I don't feel like it's really indicative of anything. You could both be town or you could both be scum or you could be 1town and 1scum. If what you said earlier had been worded differently, there might not even have been a debate at all.
Pretty non-committal, how do you feel about Asters 3 point case on me?
@Gormy, just seemed eager to appease Aster, any scum leanings thus far?
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:38 am

Post by Gorny »

No scum leans just yet. I'm purposely waiting until we have a few more pages of posts. Then I'll ISO and see what reads I find. Not everyone has shown up yet. Still missing xa and Grey Ice.
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:39 am

Post by Gorny »

In post 24, FrozenMagpie wrote:What about Xa ligha/Xalxe scumteam

Though, I'm not sure if the above was serious or not
Kind of chuckling quietly here.
FrozenMagpie
FrozenMagpie
Townie
FrozenMagpie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:43 am

Post by FrozenMagpie »

In post 50, FancyPants wrote:
In post 49, FrozenMagpie wrote:
In post 47, FancyPants wrote:Hopefully people are just busy on the weekend, what are your thoughts since you're about?
Uh, I'm not really thinking much. You and Aster have a small thing going but I don't feel like it's really indicative of anything. You could both be town or you could both be scum or you could be 1town and 1scum. If what you said earlier had been worded differently, there might not even have been a debate at all.
Pretty non-committal, how do you feel about Asters 3 point case on me?
@Gormy, just seemed eager to appease Aster, any scum leanings thus far?
The case seemed like a bit much for a response to a one sentence post regarding poor scumreads. I kind of understand where Aster is coming from with some of the points, but don't necessarily agree with point two. Why should people be worried about paranoid town points? Wouldn't being a little paranoid help in this situation? Surely some players as scum can fake being town well enough that not being paranoid would lead to quick townread. It was odd that you voted Gorny after kind of defending him, that's not something that seems normal. But I'm not so sure that scum would slip up so early or that a player with a bit of experience would vote a team member so early.
Gorny wrote:
In post 24, FrozenMagpie wrote:What about Xa ligha/Xalxe scumteam

Though, I'm not sure if the above was serious or not
Kind of chuckling quietly here.
It wasn't serious. I'm aware that Xalxe isn't a player
FrozenMagpie
FrozenMagpie
Townie
FrozenMagpie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:45 am

Post by FrozenMagpie »

Ah by scumread I meant scumtell. Sorry
adilm29h
adilm29h
Goon
adilm29h
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:50 am

Post by adilm29h »

sorry, another question. What is scumread, and scumtell? and in general what does scum mean? is the scum the mafia?
Also I still have tiny bit suspicions on FancyPants still. So for now my vote is going to stay on him until i feel someone is more suspicious or FancyPants becomes a little less sketch.
Xa ligha
Xa ligha
Goon
Xa ligha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:50 am

Post by Xa ligha »

VOTE: Gorny His avatar looks super shady, or space ghosty but until he comes out of the shadows I can't be sure.
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 am

Post by Gorny »

In post 56, Xa ligha wrote:VOTE: Gorny His avatar looks super shady, or space ghosty but until he comes out of the shadows I can't be sure.

It's Batman :)

Dunno about a monkey smoking a cig though...

Looks unpredictable.

Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 am

Post by Gorny »

In post 57, Gorny wrote:
In post 56, Xa ligha wrote:VOTE: Gorny His avatar looks super shady, or space ghosty but until he comes out of the shadows I can't be sure.

Looks unpredictable.

Or should I change it to my other standby: Jack O'Neill from Stargate SG-1?
Xa ligha
Xa ligha
Goon
Xa ligha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:44 am

Post by Xa ligha »

Ok, I see it now. And it's the new eyes so you probably don't have a gun UNVOTE: [\unvote]
Xa ligha
Xa ligha
Goon
Xa ligha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:44 am

Post by Xa ligha »

UNVOTE: even.
Aster
Aster
Goon
Aster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 am

Post by Aster »

In post 39, adilm29h wrote:I also have a question, on why it says peoples roles underneath their name?
Is this a bug?
I am highly sceptical of this post. There are two possible situations:
  1. He genuinely didn't know those "roles" were meaningless;
  2. He did know those roles were meaningless and pretended he didn't.
In the second case, I'd definitely call scum upon this post. Whenever a human is guilty of something, it is their instinct to ask questions about things they already know to make it appear as if they don't have a clue about the situation. I'd call this a very strong scumtell, significantly beyond just "trying too hard to appear town."

However, we also have the first case to consider. Could it be true he was genuinely unaware about the function of those "roles"? Let us assume that this case is true, then there are some odd things about his post:

(Note: keep in mind that, according to his post in the sign-up thread, he has card-game mafia experience but no experience on this forum.)
  • There is a "coincidence" that he voted FancyPants who is titled "goon" because he thinks FancyPants is scared of Gorny who is called "goon" as well;
  • He didn't point out that FancyPants was marked as goon—is it because he didn't notice it at that time, or because of some other reason?
  • Given that he has card-game mafia experience, he must know that having everyone's roles public is an absolute no-go. His reaction of "Why are ... is it a bug?" seems a bit passive for such a massive screw-up.
  • Arbitrary titles under people's names are a common feature on many forums. If he has been on other (non-mafia) forums before, there are good chances he could guess what those titles represented.
Alright, none of the above is conclusive enough to show that he really knew that the titles were meaningless, but I wouldn't just blindly assume his "I really didn't know what those titles meant!" to be true.

Moreover, even if he really didn't know what the titles meant, that does not in any way prevent him from being scum and asking. Note that he asked "why our roles are under our names" and he didn't ask "what those titles meant". His way of asking suggests me that he was intentionally trying to slip a "hey I'm town" into his question.

Tl;dr:
I suspect adilm29h posted the above-quoted post with the intention to tell us "Hey I'm Town!" more than that he really wanted an answer to his question.

UNVOTE: FrozenMagpie
VOTE: adilm29h
Xa ligha
Xa ligha
Goon
Xa ligha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:42 am

Post by Xa ligha »

What is everyones Mafia experience level? I've played one game on the site, and lots more in person.
adilm29h
adilm29h
Goon
adilm29h
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:01 am

Post by adilm29h »

In post 61, Aster wrote:
In post 39, adilm29h wrote:I also have a question, on why it says peoples roles underneath their name?
Is this a bug?
I am highly sceptical of this post. There are two possible situations:
  1. He genuinely didn't know those "roles" were meaningless;
  2. He did know those roles were meaningless and pretended he didn't.
In the second case, I'd definitely call scum upon this post. Whenever a human is guilty of something, it is their instinct to ask questions about things they already know to make it appear as if they don't have a clue about the situation. I'd call this a very strong scumtell, significantly beyond just "trying too hard to appear town."

However, we also have the first case to consider. Could it be true he was genuinely unaware about the function of those "roles"? Let us assume that this case is true, then there are some odd things about his post:

(Note: keep in mind that, according to his post in the sign-up thread, he has card-game mafia experience but no experience on this forum.)
  • There is a "coincidence" that he voted FancyPants who is titled "goon" because he thinks FancyPants is scared of Gorny who is called "goon" as well;
  • He didn't point out that FancyPants was marked as goon—is it because he didn't notice it at that time, or because of some other reason?
  • Given that he has card-game mafia experience, he must know that having everyone's roles public is an absolute no-go. His reaction of "Why are ... is it a bug?" seems a bit passive for such a massive screw-up.
  • Arbitrary titles under people's names are a common feature on many forums. If he has been on other (non-mafia) forums before, there are good chances he could guess what those titles represented.
Alright, none of the above is conclusive enough to show that he really knew that the titles were meaningless, but I wouldn't just blindly assume his "I really didn't know what those titles meant!" to be true.

Moreover, even if he really didn't know what the titles meant, that does not in any way prevent him from being scum and asking. Note that he asked "why our roles are under our names" and he didn't ask "what those titles meant". His way of asking suggests me that he was intentionally trying to slip a "hey I'm town" into his question.

Tl;dr:
I suspect adilm29h posted the above-quoted post with the intention to tell us "Hey I'm Town!" more than that he really wanted an answer to his question.

UNVOTE: FrozenMagpie
VOTE: adilm29h
This is my first time on the forum, I just have a lot of questions, because the Mafia card game we play vs how this forum is played is so different. There are soo many more rules and variations, And also I voted for FancyPants because:
1. Obviously he has goon under his name.
2. and the fact that He put suspicion on two people, and the two people that talked the most and were somewhat pretty active.

The card game mafia we play, is way more based on the emotions, and small signs you notice when a person get's nervous vs finding a slip up. Not try and seem like a towns person. Because trying to have obvious signs that you are a town person is pretty hard, and I would not think of anyways to do so, other than "How many Mafia's are in the game?"
I would say as I am still learning the strategy to playing "FORUM MAFIA" I would not be that advanced in trying to trick people trying to convince that I am town.
And Card Mafia vs This mafia, uses completely different strategies.
FrozenMagpie
FrozenMagpie
Townie
FrozenMagpie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am

Post by FrozenMagpie »

In post 62, Xa ligha wrote:What is everyones Mafia experience level? I've played one game on the site, and lots more in person.
I've played a few times on another site, but I came here to learn to be good at it.
Aster
Aster
Goon
Aster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 am

Post by Aster »

Adilm29h, can you please answer the following questions?
  • At the point you voted FancyPants, were you aware that Gorny had the title "Goon" as well?
  • Also, were you aware that Draynth had the title "Mafia Scum"?
  • Finally, do you know how many scum/mafiae this game has?
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am

Post by Gorny »

In post 62, Xa ligha wrote:What is everyones Mafia experience level? I've played one game on the site, and lots more in person.

I've played and modded a few games before (another site prior to 2009), it's noted on my wiki page. As to this site I'm still relatively new but past the first newbie game stage. The games I have played in here as well as those I am playing are listed, not listed is Umlat's Micro 737 which is in pre game.
adilm29h
adilm29h
Goon
adilm29h
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am

Post by adilm29h »

In post 65, Aster wrote:Adilm29h, can you please answer the following questions?
  • At the point you voted FancyPants, were you aware that Gorny had the title "Goon" as well?
  • Also, were you aware that Draynth had the title "Mafia Scum"?
  • Finally, do you know how many scum/mafiae this game has?
Yea when I voted FancyPants, I realised Gorny has the title goon as well. But no I was not aware that Daynth has Mafia Scum.
And I'm Pretty positive that this game has 2 Mafia's.
Gorny
Gorny
Goon
Gorny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 am

Post by Gorny »

@aster, regarding your .....

We are in a newbie game after all. While it is possible that your #2 scenario is possible and adlim does know what those "roles" are... since this is his first game on site, for the moment, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of a doubt and assume that your #1 scenario is more likely the case.

Will have to wait and see how things progress...
MotherGothel28
MotherGothel28
Townie
MotherGothel28
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 am

Post by MotherGothel28 »

In post 43, FancyPants wrote:
Is this a bug?
Is this the most adorable town tell ever or fiendishly clever :lol: .

@Gorny, early thoughts?
I was thinking most adorable town tell ever lol
MotherGothel28
MotherGothel28
Townie
MotherGothel28
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 am

Post by MotherGothel28 »

In post 58, Gorny wrote:
In post 57, Gorny wrote:

Looks unpredictable.

Or should I change it to my other standby: Jack O'Neill from Stargate SG-1?
Uh, YES!!
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 am

Post by FancyPants »

Just a heads up I'm generally pretty inactive on weekends, I'll get a chance to catch up a bit more tomorrow night Sunday (GMT +2).
I saw a question about experience while skimming - I have a lot of experience on a different site, played Town of Salem and play in real life occasionally. On this site I have a few games (less than 10), I'd say I'm an intermediate.
MotherGothel28
MotherGothel28
Townie
MotherGothel28
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:50 am

Post by MotherGothel28 »

In post 68, Gorny wrote:@aster, regarding your .....

We are in a newbie game after all. While it is possible that your #2 scenario is possible and adlim does know what those "roles" are... since this is his first game on site, for the moment, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of a doubt and assume that your #1 scenario is more likely the case.

Will have to wait and see how things progress...
^^^ exactly this.

This is a newbie game with someone who said he had only played the card game, so I honestly dislike the amount of reading into that which Aster is doing. It's a pretty scummy thing to make something bad out of an innocent question.
MotherGothel28
MotherGothel28
Townie
MotherGothel28
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:52 am

Post by MotherGothel28 »

Fair question. This is my first game on this site, I have about 2 dozen games under my belt on another forum site, however most of which are from before 8 took about a 5 year break.

Since I've been back I've played about 6 games, half of which were in a private fb group me and some old friends I used to play with made. Fb makes it interesting in a new way lol.
MotherGothel28
MotherGothel28
Townie
MotherGothel28
Townie
Townie

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:55 am

Post by MotherGothel28 »

Oh yeah, I also spent about 4 years playing in person in our church youth group every Friday night lol. It functioned basically the same, except there was less talk, and it was in a dark creepy church and we had to actually walk around and find dead bodies.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”