Site Meta Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:35 am

Post by Alisaes French Maid »

A large amount of players on the site at the moment good, "good" and bad all think that when they get mislynched it is due to awful towns and when they get awful reads it is also due to bad towns the latter kinda bothers me more. "I thought the scum player was scum but the town player was so fucking bad I had no choice" is a really awful excuse for losing a game. Yes there are cases of awful towns screwing over individual players but even then there are moments in games when you need to unify the town and lead lynches onto scum by yourself and if you can't do that then you should work on improving your game in that regard.

As a result of this blame everyone else mentality where you can never take blame yourself people never adapt game by game and never improve at mafia which is just shit.
Alisae is my master, if you have reason to believe I am misbehaving, please contact them.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:36 am

In post 14, Ellibereth wrote:If everyone said "town lost this game I fucked up. I think my fuckups were BLANK, BLANK, BLANK" instead of "YOU GUYS SUCKED AAA THROW" I'm sure the play level would go up.

Holy shit I was ninjad by this.
But Elli is 100% absolutely right and this is an issue even good players have that stop them from being great players.

Like literally the plague of this site.
Alisae is my master, if you have reason to believe I am misbehaving, please contact them.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (isolation #2) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 am

Mulch's name is Felicia?
I never knew that owo
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (isolation #3) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:24 am

Form better reads.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (isolation #4) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:24 am

I'll take stupid questions any day of the week because that's readable content.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (isolation #5) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:40 am

Tone reading is good if you have meta to actually make sense out of it.
Tone reading without meta is kinda garbo tbh.

Like the entire purpose of a tone read is you need meta to know what there tone is supposed to usually be like but most people just use it as a charisma read. Don't think it's fair to shit on tone reads because of that.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (isolation #6) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:52 am

In post 34, RadiantCowbells wrote:I think the correct angle is to always take the approach that lynches are the fault of whoever voted.

It puts the responsibility in the most useful place for learning to improve imo.
When I am mislynched I also think its useful to realize I could have communicated in a better way and I don't think the "I am playing perfectly to my meta" mentality is a good one that seems to be really common in mafia games.

But 100% my main issue is with people who lynch town then go into post game and say "I would have lynched scum but losershittown was just so fucking awful I couldn't MS.net is bad" it's either the fault of the lynched players and the people who voted or just the fault of the people who voted. It's never the fault of the lynched player alone but I don't think they are immune to fault.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #7) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:56 am

Lycan I just think you refuse to believe that there can be multiple metrics to game solving that you don't understand which is kinda just ignorant tbh.
I can't read certain kinds AtE and have never been able to figure out what I am doing wrong but that doesn't mean other people can't read it effectively.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (isolation #8) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 am

Legit I have met so many players who have amazing reads.
But they use the same shit tells that don't work for them over and over on other reads and if they just tried to adapt they would be good.

But since they don't there reads will always be 1/2 or lower since they continue to use faulty tells riding on the high of the times when they got lucky.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (isolation #9) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:07 am

In post 49, RadiantCowbells wrote:Like in the end sometimes it's the person who got lyncheds fault but every time you mislynch someone you should be stopping and thinking about why that was and trying to learn better for next time.
I find there's a lot of people willing to just write off the fact that they're mislynching people left right and center and who barely even try to learn from it or improve and that's how your ability stagnates.

You can blame other people for what went wrong but in the end the only person you can change is you.

And tonereads are fine. There's not 1 way of playing mafia Lycanfire
Weird how RC, Elli and Smith the strong mafia players are the ones with the good mentalities on how to improve and the bad ones are saying otherwise

:thinking:
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (isolation #10) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:08 am

Anyway I agree with you RC sorry if I gave another impression.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (isolation #11) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:54 pm

In post 69, Espeonage wrote:This is categorically incorrect.

Meta is why people that think they can tone read actually can't.
I disagree you can't reliably tone read someone without any meta because this isn't real life and a lot is lost between IRL mafia and forum mafia it's really hard to determine if someone is disingenuous based on the words they use while typing alone.

For example some people can just be annoyed irl, someone may have just walked home in the rain, someone may have just got into a fight irl or someone may jut not like someone in the game.
There isn't really such a thing as "good" or "bad" tone and I feel like general tone reads are just kind of shit.

And I really disagree that meta doesn't help you tone read people post and think in different ways that reflects on there writing when they are different alignments if you actually know what you are looking for. I agree some people just try and force tone reads and don't actually know what they are looking for but that's different.

Although a lot of this depends on how broad we are willing to go with what "tone" is, like for example I don't consider a scum player posturing to be a tone issue and you don't really need meta to figure out if someone is posturing.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (isolation #12) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:00 pm

I am not saying that's a tone read.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (isolation #13) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:09 pm

In post 74, Ellibereth wrote:There's no mafia "sandbox" or "practice" mode
I disagree the Normal and Open games are basically a practice mode.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (isolation #14) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm

The tone in that post by post analysis is pretty scummy.

I think your issues with tone come from people tone reading you for having "bad" tone which I agree is cancer.
With a proper understanding of how someone plays it's fine, it's just most people don't use it properly.
Kinda like VCA how it's fine but 95% of people mess it up.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (isolation #15) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 am

You can't mod kill someone "who isn't trying to win" since that's a rule you can't really enforce onto scum and 1 sided rules are kinda stupid.
Also I just don't think trolling should be a punishable offense as long as someone is playing for there wincon it doesn't matter how much trolling and sub optimal plays they do.
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (isolation #16) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:45 pm

The Yuri wagon compromise was me :(
Alisaes French Maid
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Alisaes French Maid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #152 (isolation #17) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 am

In post 147, LicketyQuickety wrote:Contrary idea of the day: Playing as Town is about producing content. That's the bottom line. The more Town that does that, the better Town's chances of winning.
I don't think this thread ever even touched on this?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”