Random Alignments

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
CoolBot
CoolBot
Mafia Scum
CoolBot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Random Alignments

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:33 pm

Post by CoolBot »

I know there have been a few games with random alignments as well as random roles. For example, Quantum Mafia. I'm thinking of modding a game like this and would like to know about any issue in modding this game. Balance especially, since it's possible that the mafia get all the good roles if it isn't handled well.
CoolBot
CoolBot
Mafia Scum
CoolBot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:46 am

Post by CoolBot »

No one has any tips?
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:06 am

Post by Thok »

The only recent game with that sort of a mechanic (with split roles and motives) is Choose Somebody Else's Role, which is somewhat different than what you are thinking of. I'd say more about that game, but it's obviously still ongoing. Commodore Amazing might be able to send you some thoughts over pm; you should also bug mathcam (as he's the biggest proponent of split role/motive).
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:09 am

Post by Glork »

You may also want to check out Choose Your Role Mafia (also one of CA's creations). (:
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:38 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I like the idea, but I think in general it benefits the mafia, because it provides them with both safe claims AND extra powers (at least compared to a Normal Game/Mini). But it does up the realism somewhat, which some players can like, and it allows for a somewhat wider variety of roles to choose from, and usually fewer townies, I think.
Retired as of October 2014.
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:24 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

I've seen games like this before (particularly open setup XL for random alignments), and they are good for one major reason: It's the same catching-by-actions appeal of All Vanilla games, but with power roles. Random Alignments means it's harder to catch mafia, so if you do it you should probably have less mafia to make up for it.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:23 am

Post by Norinel »

Less mafia or more powerful roles in general should do the trick balancewise. The mafia should have some opportunities to use their roles to their advantage, though- I know Cam suggested giving dual roles for things that basically couldn't help scum, like saying that the doc role is something else if a mafia gets it.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”