AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Post by AGar »

Leave that to the judges.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:32 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 49, Venmar wrote:Basis of the award was made on one game barely 1 month into year is all i'm saying, never said Kanye is a bad player.
People do not wait until the end of the year to nominate for the BoW awards. Many players get one glimpse into another player or mod through a game and nominate, and then it is the judges' job to pay attention to how they did on the whole.
green shirt thursdays
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:57 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

In post 48, mastin2 wrote:Let's face it, kanye's enough of a badass that he could probably lynch entire scumteams just from posting cat macros anyway.
DON'T GIVE HIM IDEAS! :eek:

But sadly I'm too late to do much for that nom. Considering my vote there in good faith.
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Post by Cabd »

Nominate Minami no Hana (Guyinfreezer+sakura hana hydra) for most memorable moment
for their night choice play in mini 1525: Tales of the Abyss mafia
In post 2199, Cabd wrote:
In post 2198, Kazekirimaru wrote:I got a kick out of the scumteam both roleblocking AND nightkilling the Fruit Vendor.
Crowning Moment of Funny for sure.
They chose to do so over several claimed power roles, even.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Post by fferyllt »

2nd.

The hammer vote on the hider-confirmed-town Nacho was another...uh...great event in that game. Town and scum had their moments.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
pitoli
pitoli
Mafia Scum
pitoli
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:05 am

Post by pitoli »

3rd

That fucking game though.
Kazekirimaru
Kazekirimaru
Mafia Scum
Kazekirimaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:50 am

Post by Kazekirimaru »

so much
nth
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:17 am

Post by Scummies »

General note: Linking to games makes updating this a lot easier, please try to provide links, it always helps. :]
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:35 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 57, Scummies wrote:General note: Linking to games makes updating this a lot easier, please try to provide links, it always helps. :]
Sorry. The quote is a link.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Guyett
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Guyett
Hammering Hammered
Hammering Hammered

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 pm

Post by Guyett »

Nominate Saulres for best flavour for his You Picky Bastards game
I think a lot about meteors. The purity of them. Boom! The end. Start again. The world made clean for the new man to rebuild.
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

2nd
Saulres
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
Bert
Bert
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Bert

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:10 am

Post by Bert »

3rd
saulres
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:13 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

nth
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:22 am

Post by saulres »

<3 for you all!
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:19 am

Post by Scummies »

The thread and first post have been updated and brought up to date. (up to post #63.)

As of now this thread will be regularly kept up to date on a day by day basis.
Scummies
Scummies
Goon
Scummies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Post by Scummies »

Scummies Steering Committee announces 2014 changes

First off, the Scummies Steering Commitee is proud to announce that
Untrod Tripod
and
Venmar
have joined our ranks! We're very excited to have some new blood on the crew and hope it'll allow us to keep on making the Scummies a great MafiaScum tradition! We'd like to think
Cogito Ergo Sum
AGar
, and
SpyreX
for their work these past couple of years and want to make sure everyone recognizes that without them, the Scummies wouldn't have been completed.

Second off, after deliberation and discussion among the current SSC members (Untrod Tripod, zoraster, xRECKONERx, Faraday, and Venmar), we're announcing the following changes/clarifications for the upcoming year (and following years):

Spoiler: Award Changes
Best New Role
&
Best Mechanic / Mutation
are being merged into a singular category, encapsulated by the name
Best Mutation
. We felt this change was a healthy one to keep the viability of the categories alive. Sometimes, it is hard to distinguish where a mechanic ends and a role begins. A great example of this would be the winner of Best Mechanic / Mutation this year, OhGodMyLife's Mind Reader Mafia. While the way the setup works is actually hinging on a special
mechanic
, the Mind Reader itself could have been nominated as best role... but, the role wouldn't work without the mechanic being considered. Similarly, in 2010, while the Tentaculat won Best Role, it was such a heavy role integrated into the mechanics of the game that it couldn't be separated form the core structure of the game itself. The aim of both categories was simple: award brilliant innovation in the game of mafia. We feel this new merged category will encourage healthy competition for the award, as well as unifying the two categories under a more concrete ideal goal.

The
Best IC Player
category is being rolled into
Professor Mafia
, and the definition for the award is changing. The change for this award was two-fold. Number one, we saw a dearth of nominees and competition in the Best IC category and realized it was mostly the same one or two players being nominated every year. We didn't want the award to get stale, as we felt putting in time to help people learn to play the game was valuable and should be rewarded. But... number two, Professor Mafia was already a role that, in essence, rewarded people for contributing to the mafia community by helping people learn or understand the game better! With Professor Mafia being a Body of Work award anyway, we think allowing contributions as an IC in a newbie game to be considered in the judging process will allow for a wider array of nominees and keep the judging for the category away from being a contest of "Whose one-off theory thread was bigger this year?"
In addition
, we are stripping the following from the "Professor Mafia" award:
  • Best Contribution to Mafia Discussion/The wiki
    -> Best Teacher & Contributor to Mafia Discussion
  • Contribution to the wiki will no longer be considered for the award
  • Judges will focus on body of work more than a single individual thread or post
We are stripping out the wiki portion of Professor Mafia, because we are expanding the scope of
Community Contributor
. We felt focusing this award previously on the purely social atmosphere on the site was a bit too narrow. Now, the award will focus on contribution to the site in any way. This can mean someone who does a bunch of work updating wiki pages; or, it can mean someone who creates a really great discussion thread (see: Ether giving out avatars); or, it can mean a community member who hosted a meet and provided a home for wayward scummers; or, it can mean someone who organized Skype or chat mafia games to keep the community playing. We feel this change was probably
intended
when we designed the award, but not communicated well enough since we did not want to step on the toes of Professor Mafia. Both awards will be healthier now.

The last big award change is that of changing
Most Enjoyable Game
to a more fitting title... the
Game of the Year
! Watching the judges gnash their teeth in judging this category every year was painful, to say the least. If you did not play in a game, how much can you
really
judge whether a game was enjoyable or not? Did the players say it was enjoyable? Well, of course they did, they nominated the award... which means the category comes down to a very broad, loose, subjective quality that nobody has ever been able to really define. This award was supposed to be the "big one"... it's the award that finishes off our ceremony every year, and it's supposed to be our Scummies equivalent of "Best Picture". This new category will certainly consider if a game was enjoyable or not in the judging process, but it will consider EVERYTHING. How well did the players perform? Was the flavor written well? Did the setup fire on all cylinders? Were there any new/interesting mechanics introduced during this game? Was the moderator efficient with vote counts and prods? Did the activity level stagnate? How well did the reviewers balance the setup? Were there memorable moments in the game? Every aspect of a game will be considered... think of it as the catch-all award. It doesn't have to be the BEST at every category, but it has to do enough things right to warrant a victory. Maybe another game won Best Flavor... but the Game of the Year's flavor is still good, AND this game had fantastic performances, whereas maybe the Best Flavor game didn't. This will be the game we point back to and re-read for years to come when we want to see the best that MafiaScum had to offer that year.

Third, we're going to try and streamline the process for judging and writing the Scummies so we do not have another emergency last-minute ceremony. We've found that judging these categories has been immensely time consuming and even giving a group of people two months to deliberate sometimes isn't enough. We are aiming to find a group of
year round judges
, assisted by the Scummies Steering Commitee, to judge new nominations as they arrive. While this will not be possible for the Body of Work categories, it will make the judging for single-thread categories much simpler. I.E., Game1 is nominated for Best Scum Team. They are the de facto winners, until Game2 is nominated. The year-round judging crew will decide between the two games right then and put one through as the "finalist". When Game3 comes in, it will be judged against whichever of the previous two games was found to be better. Not only will this break up the judging process into small, bite-sized chunks and make it easier to manage, it will also make the process a lot more structured and less vague. Similarly, we are attempting to devise a system to write small portions of the ceremony throughout the year to keep the end year workload to a minimum.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any thoughts, or questions, we'd love to hear them!
If you'd like to comment on any of the above, please head over to the Scummies Discussion Thread in Site Ideas.
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Post by reinoe »

Hello, I'm relatively new here. But I would like to direct everyone's attention to NEWBIE GAME 1476. More specifically post 741. Burn, as a cop, lies about Luca being a town (luca is mafia). This seals the townies fate and leads to everyone's deaths. There has to be some sort of award for that right?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

The postgame chatter seems to be sufficient to the task of reeducating the newbie.
Retired as of October 2014.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:46 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 66, reinoe wrote:Hello, I'm relatively new here. But I would like to direct everyone's attention to NEWBIE GAME 1476. More specifically post 741. Burn, as a cop, lies about Luca being a town (luca is mafia). This seals the townies fate and leads to everyone's deaths. There has to be some sort of award for that right?
lulz
number 3
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:51 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

In post 66, reinoe wrote:Hello, I'm relatively new here. But I would like to direct everyone's attention to NEWBIE GAME 1476. More specifically post 741. Burn, as a cop, lies about Luca being a town (luca is mafia). This seals the townies fate and leads to everyone's deaths. There has to be some sort of award for that right?
Last I checked there was no VI of the year award. He's not even going to get punished which is a shame.
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
burn_209
burn_209
Goon
burn_209
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:16 pm

Post by burn_209 »

In post 69, Jake from State Farm wrote:
Last I checked there was no VI of the year award. He's not even going to get punished which is a shame.
Which I shouldnt have because as Notscience explained to you it was a NEWBIE game and I tried to save my top town read in a game where two people might as well have been inactive. I just had bad luck.

I dont understand the hard on you have for me being punished over what happened especially after I apologized many times. Grow up and get over yourself.

@reinoe who are you and why are you reading random newbie games.....kinda weird lol
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

This isn't the place to have this discussion.
Art is cool.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Nominate 4nxi3ty's Imaginary Fights for best flavor.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 72, Natirasha wrote:
Nominate 4nxi3ty's Imaginary Fights for best flavor.
You got to it before I could.
2nd. I'd also like to nominate the game for Best Setup.
The setup really worked with the flavor to create a unified whole and one of the most unique experiences I've had while playing a mafia game. I'd actually compare it more to a literary work as far as theme goes. It echoed in everything from flavor, to role PMs, to the actual roles themselves. Everything fit perfectly. The setup was balanced in a way that the game remained close, even until the bitter end, and even when either side seemed down, there was always a way to win utilizing the mechanics of the game. This game engaged the puzzle solving aspect of my brain better than any mafia game before it, where I had to try to think several moves ahead given the roles of the setup, and I was town! It's among my favorite games so far, and it's not one I will soon forget.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:51 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 73, Bulbazak wrote:
I'd also like to nominate the game for Best Setup.
2nd best setup

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”