Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:11 am

Post by Derangement »

VOTE: Onion Bubs

Clearly Onion's evil doppelganger. :P
He just shaved the goatee to throw us off!
Your friendly neighbourhood Derangement, or Dee for short.
May contain traces of nuts.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:29 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 9, onion wrote:
VOTE: Derangement

How dare you vote for a member of the Amaryllidaceae family! Shun! SHUN!

Oh gosh.
For a moment there, I thought this was an OMGUS, until I realised which onion had posted.

This is going to be an interesting game. :D
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (isolation #2) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:44 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 11, GuyInFreezer wrote:
In post 10, Derangement wrote:
In post 9, onion wrote:
VOTE: Derangement

How dare you vote for a member of the Amaryllidaceae family! Shun! SHUN!

Oh gosh.
For a moment there, I thought this was an OMGUS, until I realised which onion had posted.

This is going to be an interesting game. :D

What were you gonna do if onion bubs omgus'd you?

VOTE: TTH

I'd have called him out on it, to see what he'd have to say about
that
. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (isolation #3) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:02 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 22, Equinox wrote:
In post 21, Onion Bubs wrote:Can I just check something with you Equinox? That comment you made about LlamaFluff probably rolling scum given your history; was that just an RVS reason for your vote or were you actually making that as a serious argument for him being scum?

It's a serious vote!

Just to clarify:

You're saying your vote is a serious one, because you think one of the scum has played with CES before, and out of those people, Llama is the one who was scum the most often, when he played with you?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (isolation #4) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:25 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 24, Equinox wrote:Essentially, yes. Cogito Ergo Sum is a known quantity, but he hasn't played in a while; I doubt an all-newbie scum team would have gone for him when we have more prolific veterans in this game. To make it extra clear, though, LlamaFluff and I have been opposite alignments in 4 of the 6 games that we've played together.

Where are you going with this?

I was both making sure you weren't being ironic when you said you were serious, and hoping to get a better idea of what the history you mentioned between the two of you was.

The added explanation of
why
you think the scum team has at least one of those people helps, too, since I didn't realise he was not active as of late.

Thanks for clearing that up, on all counts. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (isolation #5) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:46 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 28, prawneater wrote:Because L-3 is pretty far away from lynch. L-2 is much better.

Would you also have voted if he'd been at L-2, before your post?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (isolation #6) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 34, Untrod Tripod wrote:
unvote, vote llamafluff

squeal like a piggy

:!:
Heads up! This puts LlamaFluff at L-1
I know we're not in a newbie game, but I'd still like to point it out, just in case someone decides to 'accidentally' drop a hammer without declaring intent first.

In post 36, Untrod Tripod wrote:can we please lynch LlamaFluff before he even posts that would just make my fucking year

How is this a good idea? :?
I literally can't see
any
upside to that kind of play, and don't think town should base a lynch on statistics for someone's roles in previous games alone.

UNVOTE: Onion Bubs
VOTE: Untrod Tripod
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (isolation #7) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 37, onion wrote:we're really going to need a method to this madness, otherwise terrible stuff is surely going to happen. I'd prefer to do it 'I am onion, he is Bubs' but if that's unacceptable we could totally do something else like giving someone a dumb nickname such as 'i am onion, he is stupidpants'. So long as we pick a method early and stick to it without changing, we might stand a chance.

Good idea! :]

His signature says we can call him Bubs, so I think I'll do that from now on, to make our lives easier.
I usually prefer to write a player's full name when voting/unvoting, but in this case, I'll make an exception for the sake of all our (hypothetical) sanities. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #8) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 39, Untrod Tripod wrote:holy SHIT how dense are you

I'm pretty dense, apparently. :P

If you're trying to say that only scum votes someone who's at L-1, then I disagree.
I have already witnessed town derp-hammering before, so now I try and make sure that doesn't happen (whenever it does, if the lynchee flips town, the next day is an almost guaranteed mislynch).

Did I miss something?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (isolation #9) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 44, Untrod Tripod wrote:if anyone outside of a newbie game derphammers someone WHO HASN'T EVEN POSTED then they deserve to die and I hope they burn in hell

See, I agree with this!
What bothers me is that you assume any player worth their salt will know not to derphammer, but put Llama at L-1 anyway, hoping to catch scum who do. :shifty:

I don't think intelligence (or its absence) is alignment indicative. :P
The way I see it, you created an opportunity for an accident to happen.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (isolation #10) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 46, Onion Bubs wrote:Dear everyone who disagrees with me when I say that three votes is enough pressure:
<snipped gif>
Why?
</snip>

How much pressure is enough is a subjective thing. :]
Personally, I think that unless people raise
very
compelling arguments about why someone is scum, or a wagon grows enough to threaten a lynch if just a few more people join it, accused scum can give staggered, vague, or incomplete answers in hopes that people get distracted by something else before there's any
real
danger.

Three votes puts Llama at only L-3: Enough to know people suspect him, but still some wiggle room.
L-2, on the other hand, presents a very solid motivation to address people's concerns.

I feel the need to point out, however, that I am
not
comfortable with an L-1 this early, especially on someone who hadn't posted yet.

In post 46, Onion Bubs wrote:PS: Expect more of these animated gifs in the future as long as I am alive.

Haha, fun to know! :P
Just please keep in mind that, due to severe limitations on my mobile data plan, I might have images turned off while browsing somewhere without a WiFi network (like when I'm commuting).

Please try to ensure any important messages aren't image-only, or I might accidentally miss them.
Thanks!
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (isolation #11) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 51, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 45, Derangement wrote:What bothers me is that you assume any player worth their salt will know not to derphammer, but put Llama at L-1 anyway, hoping to catch scum who do

it's called reaction fishing and you ruined it

Sorry! :oops:

Derphammers, or their suggested possibility, are probably a bit of a touchy subject for me.
I'll try to keep in mind that everyone around's grown-up, but I'm still not a fan of how you did it.

And yes, I'm still going to make L-1s easy to notice, if the person who created them doesn't point it out. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (isolation #12) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:17 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 60, Equinox wrote:
In post 26, Derangement wrote:I was both making sure you weren't being ironic when you said you were serious, and hoping to get a better idea of what the history you mentioned between the two of you was.

Why did you need to make sure? If I had been joking around, what would that have told you?

I thought you were joking because the maths-person in me doesn't believe in previous random outcomes (like which factions someone was in previous games) as reliable indicators of future random outcomes (like which faction someone is now).
Still, since your point about the people who played with CES has merit, I felt I'd make sure and ask.

If a wagon had formed on Llama before you answered, it'd have been a lot harder to tell why the people who jumped on it did so, and anyone with scummy intentions could try to chalk the whole thing up to a misunderstanding later, and back out if they felt it benefited them.
This way, we've removed a lot of the ambiguity that scum could make use of,
and
I now have a good idea that you wanted the RVS to be over as quickly as possible. :]

Had you been joking around, I'd know to watch out for more irony from you in the future, and I'd need to give any people on the wagon a much closer look.
I don't think it' healthy for RVS votes to grow into RVS L-2 (or bigger) wagons. :P

In post 60, Equinox wrote:
In post 53, prawneater wrote:I wasn't crazy about it. What exactly did you like?

What did
you
think about LlamaFluff's reaction?

First impressions tell me that either he simply doesn't put any stock in an early L-1 wagon on him turning into a lynch, and goes about business as usual (regardless of alignment), or he's scum who's keeping his posts short to avoid accidentally adding more fuel to the wagon.

I don't agree with his interpretation that Guy In Freezer was denying having played with CES before.
The accusation
could
be an attempt at deflecting heat from himsef.
The first half of his , however, builds up around that in a way that appears to come from a town mindset.

I'm not very fond of UT's early L-1 vote either, but it's an easy thing to not like.

All in all, I need to see more of Llama to form a satisfactory read.
For the time being, gut is pinging him as null/town, mostly because of
how
he's looking into GIF. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (isolation #13) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:20 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 61, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 59, LlamaFluff wrote:"Reaction testing" is a cop out to allow yourself to get away with scummy stuff.

hadn't said it was reaction testing yet

Actually, you had. :P
In post 51, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 45, Derangement wrote:What bothers me is that you assume any player worth their salt will know not to derphammer, but put Llama at L-1 anyway, hoping to catch scum who do

it's called reaction fishing and you ruined it

Care to revise your answer? ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (isolation #14) » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:05 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 67, Untrod Tripod wrote:reading is tech, bruh

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p6600966

care you revise YOUR answer?

I misunderstood which post you were referring to with your .
Consider me corrected! :]

I still stand by everything else I said about your L-1 vote.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (isolation #15) » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:19 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 83, Untrod Tripod wrote:can't help but notice that the main thrust of the argument we're hearing from Llama is "this play is suboptimal" not "you're about to lynch town"

Maybe it's just me, but as far as I can tell, saying "you're about to lynch town" is as unconvincing an argument for one's innocence as it is easy to type. ;)

Would you really have been appeased if he'd said that, instead of actually trying to build a case on the people who he thinks are scum?

I'd also like to ask you not to simply ignore the points Llama is bringing up about you, if that's okay. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (isolation #16) » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:15 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 88, Untrod Tripod wrote:like, this right here is mafia, guys. figuring out perspectives and alignments based on the types of arguments people make.

no one is going to walk in here and hand you an alignment, and this shit is subtler than "yeah only mafia would ever put someone at L-1 early"

christ almighty why are you people trying to figure this shit out on black and white tells? those DON'T EXIST outside of newbie games.

Rest assured, I respect my fellow players enough to not expect any dead giveaway scumtells (though wishful thinking remains :P).

If I bring up something I see as possibly scummy, it's because I want the person who did it to talk to us about it, and hopefully elaborate on
why
they did it.
The more people share about the thoughts behind their play, the better our understanding of their alignment.

Right now, I'm not sure I can buy the idea that you would be certain enough of your scum-read on Llama to L-1 him again the way you did.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (isolation #17) » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:21 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 107, Untrod Tripod wrote:what's the end game, exactly, as scum, if that was my strategy?

Are you saying that, if llama is town and you're scum, a quickhammer mislynch now, followed by a mislynch on whoever dropped the first hammer,
isn't
something you'd want? :shifty:

Come day three, you'd give us with the exact same arguments you're using now.
Maybe you'd get lynched (and maybe scum could get town cred for bussing you).
Maybe you'd NK the right people and manage to convince the rest of us of your innocence, or WIFOM your way out of a lynch, making it even
better
for you!

Whatever the case, you'd be shortcutting your team right into an easier endgame. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (isolation #18) » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:38 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 111, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 110, Derangement wrote:Are you saying that, if llama is town and you're scum, a quickhammer mislynch now, followed by a mislynch on whoever dropped the first hammer, isn't something you'd want?

uh, no

Then what
are
you saying? :roll:
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (isolation #19) » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:03 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 114, Untrod Tripod wrote:knowingly pushing a mislynch like that, in that way, does nothing but drawn attention to me and allows for big bright spotlight associative tells around the wagon

there's no upshot to doing that

This could very well be WIFOM on your part, but you're right: it
does
draw a lot of attention to you, regardless of the outcome.
Now to figure out how likely you are to try this kind of stunt as either alignment...
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (isolation #20) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 am

Post by Derangement »

Okay, so I did some background reading. :]

A skim of several of Tripod's games tells me that he would definitely do stuff like this as town.
As scum, I've also seen him do some risky things, so it's not as clear cut as I'd hoped.

I'm not sure of my scumread on him, now, but am still suspicious of anyone who plays like this.

Tangentially related to the whole L-1 thing:
In post 52, Untrod Tripod wrote:the goal is not to catch llama or catch a scum who derphammers but to SEE HOW PEOPLE REACT TO IT

I guess I got one strong townread out of it and one weak one, so that's nice I guess

I'd like Tripod to clarify who the second person he's talking about here is, please. :3
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (isolation #21) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:49 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 131, onion wrote:"The Cogito List Case"
Cogito was not an active player apparently, and the scum would have NK'd someone they knew, thus scum ought to be someone who played with Cogito (017), and that list is: CBD, GIF, Llama, Tripod.
I've removed Equinox from this list because he posted the list.
GIF doubted the list (018).

Nooo. Onion, why?
Why would you do something like this? :(

In post 131, onion wrote:I really like everything Derangement and Bubs have posted. They are being useful to the town, and helping us get good reads on them. This is Pro-town and should be encouraged.

<snip>

Sidenote: Bubs voted Prawn () because he voted Llama, and he voted Tripod () because he voted Llama. >_>

Please be specific about what you think Bubs' alignment is, and explain how that last part contributes or disagrees with your read. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #153 (isolation #22) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 144, ChannelDelibird wrote:I don't think much of Derangement's ; it recognises why Equinox's nightkill analysis exists but does not act upon it either way. Dee should really be reconsidering their random vote in light of this. I also think it's weird that Llama picks out GIF for alleged ignoring of the actual consequences of said analysis but didn't mention Derangement doing the same, when GIF had a better excuse for his own response.

Dee, which pronoun do you prefer?

At the time of my , I was inclined to consider Equinox's premise that one of those five likely had a say in picking CES for the night kill, but wasn't well-enough acquainted with any of these players to swap my random vote for just a slightly less random one.
I'd rather wait a little longer and make every vote important, by using it on someone I distrust more than the rest.
Especially when L-2s happen on page 2. :P

As for pronouns, I'm comfortable with pretty much any of them.
Feel free to use whichever you prefer, you can't go wrong. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #154 (isolation #23) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Post by Derangement »

Onion, allow me to help you develop better communication and analysis skills.

UNVOTE: Untrod Tripod
VOTE: Onion

Please elaborate on your reads, and answer people's questions. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #157 (isolation #24) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Post by Derangement »

Speaking of having votes out there, and using them on scumreads:
When are you planning to actually
use
yours, Onion? :o
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (isolation #25) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 159, TellTaleHeart wrote:Also, I'm operating under the assumption of two scum in the game.

I'm inclined to agree with this. :]

Town would need to be on steroids to handle three of them in what is effectively an 11p game, and I'm just not seeing it right now.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #167 (isolation #26) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 161, onion wrote:question where's the question? which questions are directed at me?
  • In post 141, Derangement wrote:
    In post 131, onion wrote:"The Cogito List Case"
    Cogito was not an active player apparently, and the scum would have NK'd someone they knew, thus scum ought to be someone who played with Cogito (017), and that list is: CBD, GIF, Llama, Tripod.
    I've removed Equinox from this list because he posted the list.
    GIF doubted the list (018).

Nooo. Onion, why?
    Why would you do something like this? :(
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #171 (isolation #27) » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 170, Untrod Tripod wrote:that being said, we know almost nothing about this setup, so let's keep the setup speculation to an absolute minimum until we have more info

Good call.
We can worry about this kind of thing when it becomes relevant. :]

I'm comfortable with just the uneducated guess at scum numbers, for now, if it means we make their job that much harder.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #186 (isolation #28) » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Post by Derangement »

Onion...
I think you're putting way, way too much stock in what is or isn't scummy by trying to apply generic formulas, rather than actually looking at people's motivations. :]

Scum can start wagons. Scum can hammer. Scum can and will do town-looking things, because trying to blend in with town is their job.
Similarly, if town never occupied the middle slots of a wagon, scum would never get lynched.

What I'm seeing is scum!onion relying on textbook signs for his reads, because he's having trouble finding scum motivation where he knows there is none.

The same can be said about instantly dropping suspicion of Equinox for writing the Cogito list, especially if you're going to hold onto the list like a guide on where to find scum.
If it were this easy to conftown someone, there'd be a lot less mislynches in all mafia games.
The only way you can safely rule out Equinox from being scum is if you
know
his alignment. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #190 (isolation #29) » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:54 pm

Post by Derangement »

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up, Onion. :]

Also, your drunken roomie is awesome for reminding me about this.

UNVOTE: Onion
VOTE: Guy In Freezer

What's up?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #195 (isolation #30) » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 191, LlamaFluff wrote:onion is also town for unless something major changes in what I think is going on.

Oh, huh.
Hadn't thought about it
that
way! :D

This is a pretty great catch.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #197 (isolation #31) » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 196, onion wrote:Also Also, i was totally confused about llamafluff and derangement are talking about in my 181 post and i realize that you might be reading it as a breadcrumb or something. it really isn't that, it really is a drunk housemate shenanigan. it really happened and doesn't have anything to do with any power role anyone may or may not have. I mean sure its nice to have people thing i'm town, but yall misinterpreting this is very close to me lying to the town, which isn't pro-town. so yeah. Sorry for the confusion, that isn't the breadcrumb you are looking for.

Please drop any discussion about what roles you may or may not have.
The less scum knows about the setup, the better. :neutral:

I appreciate your concern for not getting anyone confused with what you said, so I'll go ahead and reassure you that I
do
believe you have a housemate, who was drunk, probably never played Mafia, and blindly pointed those three people out as his guess, using nothing more than inebriated intuition.
You can thank him for us, even if he's probably off on how many scum there are in the game. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #200 (isolation #32) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:43 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 199, Untrod Tripod wrote:it's all WIFOM though and should be ignored

on the other hand, Llama prooooooooooobably wouldn't want to clear you if he was scum?

It'd be WIFOM if I believed scum!onion could think of something like this.
At the moment, I'm thinking he wouldn't. :]

What makes you say that about Llama, though?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #202 (isolation #33) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:26 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 201, Untrod Tripod wrote:what's the upshot to scum of trying to take someone out of the mislynch pool?

re: onion
I think you should ALWAYS assume that people can think of something like that

I can see scum doing it for town cred, if they think someone else would also notice the reason, anyway.

What I can't understand is why you're shooting down Llama's argument due to WIFOM, but still treating him like you might if he'd presented a reason
you
'd see as solid. :?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #204 (isolation #34) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:39 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 203, Untrod Tripod wrote:I'm saying it's an observation I see much more likely as coming from TOWN than SCUM

it affects my read of Llama, not necessarily my read of onion

do you get what I'm saying?

Oh!
So even though you don't agree with it, you still think
Llama
believes it's valid? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #207 (isolation #35) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Derangement »

Thanks, that helps. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #218 (isolation #36) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 209, Marquis wrote:Hi! Who's scumreading my slot? Who's townreading my slot? Bye!

Hiya! :D

Your slot has so far, not counting yours, both devoid of content.
That means I'm
not
managing to read your slot, and would like that to change. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #223 (isolation #37) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 212, Onion Bubs wrote:I hope you don't mind me using that format ChannelDelibird. It looks like a really good way to format a post where you talk about several different things but you want to avoid scaring everyone with a great wall of text.

I personally like text walls, but don't mind it when people spoiler stuff to make it easier on the eyes either.
Just make sure that anything really important isn't spoilered, so we'll see it every time we re-read or skim the thread, and you're golden! :]

In post 212, Onion Bubs wrote:
I like the sentiment that helpful stuff should be encouraged and harmful stuff should be discouraged, but it would be more helpful if you were a bit more specific about how Derangement and I are helping the town.

I'd rather Onion use his time trying to hunt scum, and not explaining the things that most people seem to agree on, unless it is to add something no one else pointed out yet.
Why do you want to hear more about why he thinks either of us is being helpful? :o

In post 133, Derangement wrote:Okay, so I did some background reading. :]

A skim of several of Tripod's games tells me that he would definitely do stuff like this as town.
As scum, I've also seen him do some risky things, so it's not as clear cut as I'd hoped.
Are you saying that, if Untrod Tripod's previous town games showed him playing more cautiously, then you would've been dead certain that he is scum? Or that if his scum games showed him playing more cautiously, then you would've decided that he must be townie in this one?

That'd be silly of me to assume. :P
Ill only be certain of someone's alignment if they scum-claim, if they fail to do something that'd instantly give one of the factions a win, or when Word of Mod reveals it.

That doesn't mean I won't see certain actions as more likely to come from scum, and others more likely to come from town, and weight my reads accordingly.
What made you imply full certainty in your question?

Even if you do manage to spot a pattern where they exhibit one particular behaviour only as town or something like that, how do you know that the game you're currently in with them isn't the game where they (consciously or otherwise) break the pattern?

I
don't
know. :D

Which is why I use meta as a gauge for how suspicious I should initially be, just like I do with a bunch of other unreliable stuff like activity, mood, or even gut.
I then go and look into what everyone's doing, and try to figure out why they're doing it.
I'll look closer at people whom I suspect the most, unless I happen to have enough free time to be super thorough with everyone. :]

In post 212, Onion Bubs wrote:Why do you not feel the need to justify your votes when you make them?

My vote has two uses: figuring out who is or isn't scum (by forcing people to react to being one step closer to a lynch), and lynching those that I think are scum.

If I do not make it obvious why I'm voting someone, then that is because either:
  1. I think that sharing my reasons
    at that time
    would alert scum to something that I'd rather they remain oblivious of, so they can keep playing poorly;
  2. I'm more interested in determining someone's alignment than I am in convincing everyone else of my current read on them;
  3. I had already voted for this person before, and don't have anything new to add about them. My vote is probably due to a changed read on someone else.

Similarly, if I unvote someone without much fanfare (which will be a large majority of the time), that means I'm still considering, to some degree, that they might be scum after all.
Unless I have an
Eureka!
moment where one of my scum reads does a full 180°, or a town read becomes significantly stronger, I'd rather let each player defend themselves instead. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (isolation #38) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 221, Marquis wrote:Actually, I thought Derangement was the mastin alt. Even after they denied being an alt when I asked during our last meetup.

I'm reading now. Commenting later after class.

I haven't met Mastin yet, but am willing to sign up or replace into one of the games they're in, after this one, if it helps prove I'm not an alt. ;)

In post 222, Untrod Tripod wrote:onion does the long posts and wonky theory arguments though

derangement doesn't act like mastin imo

The long posts will probably come, eventually, if I ever have a lot to say to/about someone.
Sorry! :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #225 (isolation #39) » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 216, GuyInFreezer wrote:UNVOTE:

Any progress in catching up?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #232 (isolation #40) » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Post by Derangement »

What's happening? :o

LlamaFluff, ChannelDelibird and Prawneater haven't posted in two days.
GuyInFreezer pretty much prod-dodged with an unvote after promising to catch up...

Of these people, only llama hasn't been posting anywhere on the site.

@mod: how long can a player go without posting in thread before we can ask for prods?
If it's 48h, I'd like to order three, please. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #243 (isolation #41) » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:53 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 241, GuyInFreezer wrote:I bet everyone missed my 194.

I saw it, but thank you for pointing it out again, for those who might have missed it the first time. :]
I just expected a follow-up up on this:
In post 238, GuyInFreezer wrote:========This is the point where I'm seeing walls and will stop until tomorrow=======
Did I misunderstand you when I thought you hadn't finished analysing the thread at the time, and would post your thoughts about the rest soon?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #244 (isolation #42) » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 233, petroleumjelly wrote:
In post 232, Derangement wrote:
@mod: how long can a player go without posting in thread before we can ask for prods?
If it's 48h, I'd like to order three, please.

You may ask for a prod at any time. I generally give a player three days before prodding unless a deadline is imminent, in which case waiting only two days may be appropriate. On the whole, activity in this game has been very healthy.

Okie dokie!
Thanks for the guidelines. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #255 (isolation #43) » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:43 am

Post by Derangement »

@GIF: Could you please clarify on whether or not you're now caught up on everything that came after ? :]

If you are, I'd also like to ask why you chose not to elaborate on that as much as you did in your quote-stripping , if that's okay.

Thanks!
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #261 (isolation #44) » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 260, GuyInFreezer wrote:
I'm caught up. I didn't quote strip the rest bc I got lazy.

Alright, fair enough! :P

I was looking forward to another chunk of awesome like the first, but I can accept this answer for now.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #262 (isolation #45) » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:25 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 253, Marquis wrote:oh equinox is a common townread? news to me

hint: i haven't read anything but pages 1 and part of 9/10

maybe i'll actually follow up on my promises after lunch! ciao

I understand that you've replaced in, and there's a bunch of stuff to read through, but this kind of thing strikes me as stalling.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm getting a feeling that if multiple people are waiting on a player, delays like this tend to reduce their interest in a game, leading to only half-hearted scum hunting later.
Only scum benefits from remaining an unknown quantity for as long as they can, while everyone else suspects each other. :(

In post 209, Marquis wrote:Hi! Who's scumreading my slot? Who's townreading my slot? Bye!

Reading this again, it strikes me as gauging how much lurking you can safely get away with.

UNVOTE: GuyInFreezer
VOTE: Marquis
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #264 (isolation #46) » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Post by Derangement »

As a side note, my initial apprehension of Bubs for the things I've asked him in is making me not feel good about him taking this long to clarify what should be a simple matter of sharing his reasoning, if he's town.

Especially if we keep in mind that (stalker powers activate! :P):
  • was posted on
    Thu, 19/Feb/2015 01:12:28
    ;
  • Onion Bubs visited the site multiple times since then, the last one being on
    Sat, 21/Feb/2015 01:26:51
    ;
  • It is now approximately
    Sat, 21/Feb/2015 08:40:00

I know, I'm reading a lot into everyone's timing.
While it can be due to any number of reasons, I still can't help but suspect those who, being aware of questions directed at them, take their time to think of a good reply while other votes and accusations get thrown around.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #288 (isolation #47) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 269, Onion Bubs wrote:
I'm blaming this delay on the bank for blocking my card when I tried to renew my car insurance because that got me angry and I wanted to avoid having another angry post. So let's see what it was you wanted me to answer.

Welcome back, and sorry to hear about your bank woes.
Hope it gets better soon. :o

In post 223, Derangement wrote:
If I do not make it obvious why I'm voting someone, then that is because either:
  • <snip>

• I'm more interested in determining someone's alignment than I am in convincing everyone else of my current read on them;
  1. <snip>

2. Couldn't you do this without use of a vote, at least to begin with? Give the players some stuff for them to respond to (such as the questions you asked me), and then if you think their responses aren't as townie as they should be,
    then
    put a vote on them. At that point, you have a reason to believe they deserve the vote, plus you can then compare the way they behave under pressure to the way they behave ... erm ... not under pressure.

I often do just that. :]

However, there are also the occasional times when I'll want to gauge whether the thing that made me suspect someone was done on purpose.
Or even if I'm just reading too much into things that are actually innocent.

I believe we can get just as useful information from
which
issues are brought up in a person's defence, as we can from what is said to placate those accusations. ;)

I have a question for both of you and for anyone else who agrees with these posts. Scum will try to do pro-town stuff because it makes them look more townie and thus they are less likely to get lynched, right? Well what's the townie's motivation to do anti-town stuff? If you can't answer that, then why, for all intents and purposes, should "anti-town" be treated any differently to "scummy"?

First and foremost, I feel the need to point out that there is an important difference between scummy-looking null actions (which
feel
iffy, but upon close inspection don't actually seem to benefit either faction), and actual anti-town posting (which actually seems to make things worse for town, or better for scum).

The former is mostly a matter of play-style, and isn't a reliable indicator either way.

The latter, however, can be because of any of the following:
  1. Scum did it.
    Lynch this.

2. A town player did it on accident.
    Avoid being this guy at all costs. :P

3. The town player's reason for doing it arrives at a different conclusion than
    your
    reasoning does.
    One of the two is probably wrong in their logic.
    1. If you're wrong, then this action was not really anti-town.
      The sooner others help you realise this, the faster you can go back to finding actual scum.
    2. If the other player's wrong, then they need to be made to see this before they cost town the game by making further bad plays.

4. A town player made a gamble, believing that the potential for a good outcome out-weighted the price town had to pay if it backfired.
    Ideally, one should avoid gambling if it would gain less than one stands to lose, after accounting for how likely one thinks each outcome is.

5. A town player knows something the others don't, and their action was actually safer than it appeared to be.

The distinction between scummy and anti-town comes from which of these scenarios you're looking at.
Problem's telling (a) apart from (b) through (e).
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #290 (isolation #48) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 271, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 269, Onion Bubs wrote:I will move my vote to him in 24 hours unless he posts something of substance in that time period.
why are you bothering to vote for prawneater when you're expressing an interest to vote for Marquis with the game in its current state?

I'm not necessarily scumreading you, but that point reaaaaaaaaaaaally feels like coaching

I'll second the question, with sprinkles on top:
What was your reason for doing things the way you did, and
announcing
intent to vote later?

If you can, please explain why this is preferable to voting Marquis now, and moving your vote to Prawneater later if Marquis posts something to your liking. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #291 (isolation #49) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:47 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 275, onion wrote:
I'm not at all convinced that Tripod is just really terrible town and not scum, but i feel that lynching Llama would give us more information about Tripod than lynching Tripod would give us information on Llama.

I
really
don't like this. :(

You're outright proposing we chain lynches on these two players, depending on their flips.
This alone is already catastrophic if
both
of them happen to be town.

But then, here's the implications you're assuming:
  1. In post 275, onion wrote:Llamascum would go a long way towards town-reading Tripod, at which point i'd be happy to minimize his harmful effects by ignoring him. it would prove him terrible but harmless, which is a big improvement.
    scum!Llama
    =>
    town!Tripod
    , which (by contraposition) is equivalent to:
    town!Llama
    <=
    scum!Tripod

2. In post 275, onion wrote:Llamatown would cast even more suspicion than we already have on Tripod, and i could easily see me voting for him the next day because of it. it would show that he really is both idiotic and dangerous, having L-1'd a townie with a possible power role on page 2.
    town!Llama
    =>
    scum!Tripod
    , which is also equivalent to:
    scum!Llama
    <=
    town!Tripod

Add both A and B together, and you're assuming that there is
exactly one scum
in {Llama, Tripod}.
Your conclusions would be undesirable (town-read on a mafioso) if both were scum, and outright catastrophic (two mislynches) if both were town.

Why, then, do you assume only A, and specifically decline to accept premise B when you say this:
However, if we swapped over and tried to lynch Tripod to get information on Llama, it wouldn't work as well i don't think. Sure scum-Tripod would clear Llama of most suspicions, but town-Tripod wouldn't do anything.

So, if Tripod is town, Llama can be town after all? :?
Why does the order in which you choose to lynch change how many scum you think there are among those two players?

Also:
In post 275, onion wrote:Llamatown would cast even more suspicion than we already have on Tripod, and i could easily see me voting for him the next day because of it. it would show that he really is both idiotic and dangerous, having L-1'd
a townie with a possible power role
on page 2.
I can't stress enough how bad an idea it is to try and actively figure out who has or doesn't have a power role, at this point in the game.

Vote: Llama
because he's on the Cogito List, because lynching him will provide valuable information about Tripod, and because he avoid justifying himself until severely pressed, and even then does so minimally, because he's blendy, and because llamas make terrible war mounts.

Normally, I love light-hearted banter, but there's such a thing as too much of it, if it gets in the way of scum-hunting by cluttering arguments with fluff.
RVS-like arguments have no reason to appear outside of the RVS stage like this. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #292 (isolation #50) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 283, ChannelDelibird wrote:Hello, I'm here - an afternoon of board games turned into a full day unexpectedly. Full catch up tomorrow or lynch me
In post 285, Marquis wrote:hi. it's snowing really hard. i'm cold. so i'm inside all day.

i have some business to take care of rn. then after that, i'll try my best to devote some time to mafia. thanks and maybe!cya later tonight.

Thankies! :)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #293 (isolation #51) » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 267, TellTaleHeart wrote:Does he prefer to play town or scum? (CDB, you can answer this if you see it first.)

Would it make a difference? :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (isolation #52) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:56 am

Post by Derangement »

Allow me to clarify why I don't like the plan Onion's proposing. :]

In post 295, onion wrote:If tripod flipped scum then sure it would bonify Llama, but if Tripod flipped town, that wouldn't tell us much about Llama. So a towny L-1'd someone on page 2. what does that say about llama? not much. that's why we should do it in the other direction.

This states that the possible scenarios are:
  1. Town!Tripod
    voted
    Scum!Llama
    into L-1;
  2. Scum!Tripod
    voted
    Town!Llama
    into L-1;
  3. Town!Tripod
    voted
    Town!Llama
    into L-1.

In post 295, onion wrote:If Llama flipped scum, it would bonify Tripod and we shouldn't lynch him probably ever. If Llama flipped town, it would be another strike against Tripod and, added to other cases, might mean we lynch him, or we might not.

This argues that the most likely scenarios are:
  1. Town!Tripod
    voted
    Scum!Llama
    into L-1;
  2. Scum!Tripod
    voted
    Town!Llama
    into L-1.

Why is scenario C missing from this list?

To me, it feels like an unwritten assumption that Tripod is more likely to be scum than not.

Which makes the vote for Llama feel
wrong
Like Onion's doing it to gather reasons to (maybe) lynch Tripod later, and not because he actually thinks Onion's the scummiest of the two and needs to hang.

In post 295, onion wrote:
Its hard to see them both being town, but i suppose its possible. the Cogito list also contains CBD and GIF, both of which are by no means being town-read. But none of those people got L-1'd on page 2, so lynching them produces less data at this moment.

I urge anyone to use caution when using the Cogito list as a guide to finding scum.
Having played with CES
is
the simplest explanation for why he was NK'd, but it's not the only one.

It's fine to use it as a starting point, but don't let it become a crutch that prevents you from accepting a scum-team with no members in it, if you think there's evidence towards that. :3
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (isolation #53) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:02 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 296, prawneater wrote:
In other news: I'm fine with killing one of the onions for sanity's sake.

We should just have a poll on which onion we think is scummier and lynch that one.

Onion Bubs is the scummier of the two imo.

Sanity is for the weak! :P

I'm not going to try and lynch someone, if I simply see them as bad-town right now.
I'd rather try and correct their ways while there's still time, and focus on lynching scum.

Now, if someone
does
look scummy, they'd better have a good explanation for why they did what they did.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #304 (isolation #54) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:45 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 303, LlamaFluff wrote:Anyone else realize that onion is basically basing his vote on the fact that he thinks that if I was scum it would mean UT is probably town and if I am town is a small tell against UT (which is something I could say for about half a dozen pairs). Also (maybe?) him not understanding my votes - note this isn't not liking reasoning but its not understanding which as far as I can tell he is the only player who actually doesn't understand it. Times like this is where its nice that he basically made posts that are basically town slips.

I'd have been voting him right now, if not for those slips. :P
As it is, I'm struggling with myself, trying to decide how likely scum!Onion would be to purposefully townslip like that.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #306 (isolation #55) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:01 am

Post by Derangement »

I think I get where the disconnect is coming from, now. :]

I'll spoiler the following bit, because it's mostly logic theory, and not actual scum-hunting.

Spoiler: How implication works
In its simplest form, and adopting Onion's arrow-length conviction-o-meter™,
( X ----> Y ) means "If X is true, then Y must be true".

I disagree with part of this quote:
In post 302, onion wrote:
Implication statements don't say anything extra about the situation. This statement is only meaningful if the antecedent A is true. it becomes meaningless if A is not true, or if the consequent D becomes known. so keep that in mind.

If X is false, then yes, the implication tells us nothing about Y.

But, if Y is false, then we
can
use the implication to figure something out:
If X were true, then the implication tells us that Y needs to be true as well, which would be inconsistent with our premise of a false Y.
This means that X
cannot
be true, when Y is false.

• So, (X ----> Y) is equivalent to (Not X <---- Not Y).

How uncertainty works

Now that we understand how regular implication works, we can add uncertainty to the mix, and repeat the same thought process. :]
Assume Y is false in the following three examples.

Take ( X ---> Y ), or its english version "If X is true, then Y is very likely to be true".
If X were true, then Y would be very likely to be true as well, which is not possible.
This means that X is very likely to be false.
  • So, (X ---> Y) is equivalent to (Not X <--- Not Y)

Likewise, take ( X --> Y ), or "If X is true, then Y is probably true".
If X is true, then Y would probably be true as well, which is impossible.
This means that X is probably false.
  • So, (X --> Y) is equivalent to (Not X <-- Not Y)

Finally, take ( X -> Y ), or "If X is true, then Y
might
be true".
If X is true, then Y
might
be true as well: an inconsistency.
This means that X
might
be false.
  • So, (X -> Y) is equivalent to (Not X <- Not Y)

Conclusion

If you assign a certain degree of certainty to the belief that "if X then Y", you
must
also assign the same degree of certainty to "if Not Y, then Not X", for your belief to be consistent.

With this in mind, we can look at Onion's premises.

Spoiler: Onion's presented argument
1)
(A) Scum!Llama
--->
(D) Town!Tripod

2)
(B) Town!Llama
-->
(C) Scum!Tripod

could either of these fuck up? sure. it is remotely possible that tripod L-1'd his scumbuddy on page 2, but yeah it seems pretty damn unlikely. its only a degree of certainty after all.

These
are
equivalent to:
1')
(B) Town!Llama
<---
(C) Scum!Tripod

2')
(A) Scum!Llama
<--
(D) Town!Tripod

Statements (1/1') mean that it's very unlikely that both Llama and Tripod are scum.
I'm okay with this.

(2/2') tell us that
probably at least one of Llama/Tripod is scum
I'm not as certain of this as onion is, but let's keep his view in mind, since it's his argument.

Now we will explore lynching Tripod first, which is not something i recommend.

3)
(C) Scum!Tripod
--->
(B) Town!Llama

for the exact same reasons as used in conditional 1. Because one L-1'd the other, they very probably aren't both scum.

4)
(D) Town!Tripod
->
(A) Scum!Llama

yeah i dunno about this one. If this happened all we'd know is that a townie known for bullshit behavior L-1'd someone of unknown alignment on page 2. it IS a confirmed townie'd suspicions of another player, so weight can be placed on it, but not too much. i probably wouldn't lynch Llama from this evidence alone.

We can see that (3) Is exactly the same as (1'), which is expected.
(4), however, is much weaker than (2'), meaning only that "
maybe at least one of Llama/Tripod
" is scum.

Why does the strength of Onion's belief that at least one of Llama/Tripod is scum depend on the order in which we learn their alignments?

The only way this makes sense to me, is if he believes (or is pretending to believe) that Tripod is more likely to be scum than Llama, and is mistakenly carrying this bias into how much a town-flip of one of them would reveal about the other's alignment.

I seriously recommend that Onion meditate a little on how certain he is of there being at least one scum between Llama/Tripod and build his case with that assumption in mind
at all points
, or pick a different line of thought altogether.

Choosing whom to lynch based on how much we might learn from a mislynch, especially when the logic behind why we'd learn different things is faulty, is
not
beneficial to town. :neutral:
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #312 (isolation #56) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 310, onion wrote::/ one of us is confused and i sure hope it isn't me.

A --> B aka IF A is true, then B is true.

is logically equivalent to

!(A AND !B) aka Never is A true and B false.

is logically equivalent to

!A IOR B aka A is false, B is true, or neither.

Those are the only equivalents. none of these say anything about A with a known B. you are thinking about biconditionals (<-->) which might crop up later down the line if we keep arguing this way.

A <--> B is equivalent to B <--> A.

so i'm pretty sure you are wrong. here, have a wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_conditional

I am, in fact, speaking of implication (---->), and not of equivalence (<-->).

If you'd read my proof, step-by-step, you'd understand
why
I say those things are equivalent.
Here, have another two, in hopes you'll see the light this time. :P

Spoiler: Logic Theorem
  1. X ----> Y

is equivalent to (by Material Implication)
  2. (Not X) OR Y

which is equivalent to (by Double Negation)
  3. (Not X) OR (Not (Not Y) )

which is equivalent to (by Commutativity)
  4. (Not (Not Y) ) OR (Not X)

which is equivalent to (by Material Implication)
  5. (Not Y) ----> (Not X)

Spoiler: Truth Table
Basing this on the fact that (p ----> q) holds if either p is false, or q is true:

XYX ----> YNot YNot X(Not Y) ----> (Not X)
True
True
True
(because Y is true)
False
False
True
(because Not Y is false)
True
False
False
(neither)
True
False
False
(neither)
False
True
True
(both)
False
True
True
(both)
False
False
True
(because X is false)
True
True
True
(because Not X is true)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #313 (isolation #57) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:00 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 312, Derangement wrote:I am, in fact, speaking of implication (---->), and not of equivalence (<-->).

If you'd read my proof, step-by-step, you'd understand
why
I say those things are equivalent.

EBWOP: and by those things, I mean (X ----> Y), and (Not Y ----> Not X) are equivalent.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #318 (isolation #58) » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:00 pm

Post by Derangement »

In the meantime, Marquis needs to start making himself useful with some more thoughts about the game besides a town read based on a single post.
<snip>

I will move my vote to him in 24 hours unless he posts something of substance in that time period.

Add this to the list of unfulfilled promises.

Time for your randomly scheduled, friendly neighbourhood stalker report: :P
  • Post was written on
    Sat, 21/Feb/2015 14:59:39

• Onion Bubs last logged in on
    Sun, 22/Feb/2015 20:48:46

• The post you're currently reading (#318) was written approximately on
    Mon, 23/Feb/2015 23:00:00

Seriously, what's going on? :o
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #322 (isolation #59) » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 319, Onion Bubs wrote:
In the meantime, how are you getting that information Derangement? Every time I try to find out when someone last came onto the forums all I get is "Last visited: - "

Exactly the same way you are. :]

The problem is that some players show nothing, like you pointed out, and you need to see what posts they make to stalk them.
Others, like you, actually show up a date and time.

I think it's a forum profile/login preferences thing, if I remember correctly.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #333 (isolation #60) » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 325, Onion Bubs wrote:
  • If it's the vote on prawneater, I viewed him as the scummiest player at the time and I already said why.
  • If it's being willing to move the vote to Marquis, his lack of substance and his failed promises were iffy up to that point, but it would require him failing to make good on another promise for me to view him as the scummiest player. With the exception of my initial random vote on onion, my vote has always been on the player I think is scummiest and I don't have enough of a reason to change that.
  • If it's me announcing my intention to move my vote to Marquis, it's partly because I was talking about the reads I was getting on certain people and my vote is relevant to my reads, and partly because I wanted to know if Marquis was actually going to be helpful and I figured applying some pressure would help me find out. I'd like to know why you think I should've kept it hidden.

Thanks for answering all three.
I was interested in hearing all of these answers. :]

Tripod already said most of what I wanted to say about this topic, so I'll just follow it up with a pair of short questions, if that's okay.

What did you hope to accomplish, by voting Prawn?
What do you hope to accomplish, by voting Marquis?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #336 (isolation #61) » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 335, Marquis wrote:this is a reminder to myself to be here tomorrow morning and also tot ry and get emotionally attache dto this game

This makes me a sad panda. :(

Please stop stalling and play, replace out, or be lynched.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #370 (isolation #62) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:19 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 369, Marquis wrote:i'd just have ignored you as i usually do as scum

i'll be on my comp and looking at this game for a few hours. don't act like deadline is today; i have other more important things to finish first

phone. on. toilet.

Why didn't you?
Why would you ignore it as scum?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #371 (isolation #63) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:45 am

Post by Derangement »

@onion: Won't be home for a couple of hours yet, so I'll save logic explanations for when I have a keyboard to do it comfortably.

My issue is not with your terminology, but with what I perceive as faulty reasoning being used to support a vote, regardless of my current read on the people involved.
Usually, it's best to let the accused defend themselves, but in this case, since the flaw is not in a misunderstanding of actions or intent, but a failure to reach the right conclusion from the premises you assume, the maths lunatic in me feels obliged to point it out.

My attempts at explaining why it's incorrect are in hopes that you'll either provide a valid reason for your current vote, or change who you're voting for.
Letting bad reasons for voting go unchallenged might end up with people being misled into making
more
incorrect conclusions, which scum could ride all the way to a possible mislynch.

As for Llama vs Tripod, I currently have llama as the towniest of the two.
Not quite a solid read, but more than enough to prioritise. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #380 (isolation #64) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Post by Derangement »

@onion: Make no mistake, I'd have asked for a proper reason even if I agreed with the vote itself. ;)

I'll try to stick to an argument specific for our game, since the generic case seems to be difficult to understand for those who haven't dealt with abstract logic before.

I agree with points 1 and 3 (scum is unlikely to L-1 other scum like that), so I'll focus only on the remaining two.

In post 372, onion wrote:
4 If Tripod flips town, it means that a townie L-1'd somellama, which doesn't say much about Llama's alignment.

This acknowledges the belief that town!Tripod doesn't know Llama's alignment, and would L-1 him either way.

2 if Llama flips town, it means that Tripod L-1'd a townie, meaning that Tripod is even more scummy than we currently thought.

This assumes that, if llama is town, scum!Tripod is more likely to L-1 him that town!Tripod.
Why
do you assume this, given the assumption you make in (4)?

Because if you
do
believe that
(2):
scum!Tripod
is much more likely to L-1
town
than town!Tripod,
then the flipside of that coin is that
(2a):
town!Tripod
is much
less likely to L-1
town
than scum!Tripod.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #381 (isolation #65) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Derangement »

If you disagree with why (2) is the same as (2a), let me know.
If you disagree with why (2a) is NOT compatible with (4), please explain why.

Barring any objections to the previous two lines, I expect you to abandon your belief of either (2) or (4), and continue your scum hunting using only the one premise you kept.
Please let us know which one it was, and what conclusions you reach. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #382 (isolation #66) » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:28 pm

Post by Derangement »

On a completely unrelated note.
In post 32, prawneater wrote:
In post 29, Derangement wrote:
In post 28, prawneater wrote:Because L-3 is pretty far away from lynch. L-2 is much better.

Maybe.

I think I'd like to know more about this, after all.
Could you please elaborate, Prawn? :3
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #393 (isolation #67) » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:24 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 392, GuyInFreezer wrote:Let me see if I can bring myself back to this game some time today or I'll replace out and save some angers.

Thank you for the consideration. :]
Hope everything's okay.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #397 (isolation #68) » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:21 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 396, onion wrote:wait ya know what? if both Llama and Tripod are extra-info lynches, why am i voting for the one that isn't insanely anti-town?!

I had assumed it was because of this:
I believe that both tripod and llama are about equally scummy. Tripod is anti-town and dangerous and crazy, while Llama blends into the background, chooses to disregard questions asked of him, and places only votes that are popular.
While I may not have agreed with that particular evaluation, I can understand where it might have been coming from.

Does your change of vote mean you have re-thought how likely one of them is to be scum, or is it merely a preference for lynching active anti-town behaviour over lynching what you see as background blending? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #401 (isolation #69) » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:18 am

Post by Derangement »

So I reread Marquis' , where he explains that he lied due to fear of being quickhammered, then claims VT, and now I feel the need to ask:

Do quickhammers without declaration of intent, this far from the deadline, really happen outside of newbie games with any frequency? :neutral:
If any of you feels they might do such a thing, what is your reasoning for not declaring intent first?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #403 (isolation #70) » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:02 pm

Post by Derangement »

Thankies. :]
The discussion prompted by the early L-1 made me think that quickhammers only really happen by accident (or by "
accident
"), and not because anyone actually thinks lynching without declaring intent first might be a good idea.

Which is why I'm finding Marquis' reaction to his own L-1 a bit
too
panicky.

As an aside: Yay! Another person with a kitty avatar now! :3
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #410 (isolation #71) » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Post by Derangement »

As a quick reminder, these questions for Bubs haven't been answered yet:
In post 333, Derangement wrote:What did you hope to accomplish, by voting Prawn?
What do you hope to accomplish, by voting Marquis?

Stalker report: :P
Bubs last post was on
Tue, 24/Feb/2015 01:12:37

Post #333 was made on
Tue, 24/Feb/2015 08:21:44

Onion Bubs last logged in on
Thu, 26/Feb/2015 00:26:38

Approximate current time:
Fri, 27/Feb/2015 08:20:00

@mod: Could we please prod Bubs? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #411 (isolation #72) » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:24 pm

Post by Derangement »

@prawn:
In post 382, Derangement wrote:
In post 32, prawneater wrote:
In post 29, Derangement wrote:

Maybe.

I think I'd like to know more about this, after all.
Could you please elaborate, Prawn? :3

Did you miss the question, or are you choosing to not answer? ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #412 (isolation #73) » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 409, Marquis wrote:in over my head here. need to learn from my mistakes.

replace me out, please.

*hugs the Marquis*

Sorry to see you go.
Hopefully things will look better for you soon. :3

UNVOTE: Marquis
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #415 (isolation #74) » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:31 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 414, TellTaleHeart wrote:I liked your drunken rooster better, UT. :(

You had your birdy-time.
Us kitties need love too! :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #425 (isolation #75) » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:14 am

Post by Derangement »

I was originally planning to wait for our replacement and prodded people, but maybe this will encourage Prawn to actually do something about , instead of focusing on Llama like his life depends on it. ;)

VOTE: Prawneater
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #428 (isolation #76) » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:58 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 426, TellTaleHeart wrote:
In post 416, TellTaleHeart wrote:Why are you voting prawn, UT?

This can now be an open question, by the way.

I'm having a hard enough time reading some of the less active people in this game.
Seeing prawn simply fail to acknowledge a question that'd help me get a better idea of where he's coming from makes me a little upset, so I did the one thing I
know
would get his attention.

Speaking of less active people, ChannelDelibird hasn't posted anything here in the last three days, while still being active elsewhere on-site.
I hate to always be that person, but...
@mod: Can we ask for a prod, pretty please?
:oops:
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #429 (isolation #77) » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:01 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 427, NJAC wrote:Greetings everyone!

According to the votecount I assume my slot is not exactly in the best position. Please let me know if you think I should focus onto something specific while I read. Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard, NJAC! :)

Your predecessor did a pretty
atrocious
job at keeping his promise to catch up before asking for a replacement, so I'll be glad if you can do better. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #432 (isolation #78) » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:00 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 430, onion wrote:hi NJAC, we recieved a roleclaim from your former slot owner already, so it would be a good idea to get one from you as well. his roleclaim can be found in post . will you roleclaim?

...what the hell? :o

UNVOTE: Prawneater
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #436 (isolation #79) » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 435, onion wrote:@derangement what the hell what? he already claimed once! is this some obscure scum-tell i've invoked?

I don't know. Is it?

What did you expect your question to accomplish...
  1. if he claimed the same thing?
  2. if he claimed something else?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #447 (isolation #80) » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:06 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 446, Equinox wrote:
In post 445, onion wrote:so either he says 'no i won't claim again' which might totally mean something, it might mean that the claim was wrong and marquis was a ridiculous idiot, which is what i suspect. or he might claim VT, which won't do anything, which is what i'm expecting. or he might claim something else entirely, which would be a giant huge scumtell, which is what i hope. but me talking about it has ruined the whole thing probably.

If you were trying to fish for NJAC's reaction, why did you include Marquis's original reaction? Or, hell, since we're all about people being anti-town here, what made this course of action seem pro-town to you?

Pretty much this.

If your intent were to try and catch scum in a lie, you wouldn't have helpfully linked to the post where Marquis claimed.
Any scum player worth their salt will now certainly have read what's behind the link, and will play the rest of the game accordingly.
They might have missed it before. ;)

So, this reads to me as one of two things:
Either you don't fully believe Marquis' claim, and are trying to figure out town!NJAC's role, or you're warning scum!NJAC that his slot already claimed, so he won't give himself away.

Which faction onion would do either of these things? :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #455 (isolation #81) » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:43 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 450, onion wrote:
@Derangement
no i don't trust marquis' claim. he lied to us about catching up, so now i don't trust a word he said.

If this is true, then you're saying you don't know NJAC's role.
And you're actually suggesting for him to claim, at L-3, using the fact Marquis already claimed as the reason why it's OK? :o

You cant have your
cake
claim and eat it too.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #484 (isolation #82) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 472, onion wrote:@tripod
i was hoping for a read on his inactive shitty slot. the 'good' answers were 'yes i'm VT' which i would have read as 'yes, the situation that marquis was in warrented a vt claim and i might be scum because of it.' or 'no i'm not going to claim' which i'd read as 'i disagree with what marquis did in that situation' which would give me a reason to not try to policy lynch him because the policy lynch is good.

Why didn't you just ask if he agreed with Marquis' decision to claim, then?

In post 472, onion wrote:@you can't have your cake and eat it too
i'm more suggesting that he re-affirm or don't re-affirm his claim. Marquis was terrible and lied, and there's no reason to believe the roleclaim meant what we think it meant.

Why do you want to know what someone's role is?
When
do you want to know what someone's role is? :wink:

In post 482, onion wrote:
i think a policy lynch on the marquis slot would be ok. its kinda shitty to have NJAC read 20 pages only to die, but a real lurker like this is really really not good for us. there's a reason the policy lynch exists, and the policy lynch is pro-town.

I'm getting mixed signals here.

Do you think a policy lurker-lynch is
better
than lynching one of your scum-reads?
If you can, please explain exactly what you'd hope to accomplish with a NJAC policy lynch. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #486 (isolation #83) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 485, onion wrote:i'd be most happy with a tripod lynch because he's my biggest scum-read right now. however, seeing how i'm the only vote on him, with a deadline looming, i'd be willing to settle for second best, being the policy lynch. (subject to change a la big thinks).

This makes sense.
I'm curious what you consider a big change, though.

In post 485, onion wrote:but maybe i'm just mad at the slot because Marquis lied. I'd REALLY like to lynch marquis for lying, but we can't do that. i dunno. i'll add it to the big think list.

Yeah, I'm not a fan either.
Doesn't mean I'm not going to push my scum reads first, though. :]

Especially when it only takes four votes to lynch at deadline, so no-lynching is unlikely to happen.

In post 484, Derangement wrote:
In post 472, onion wrote:@you can't have your cake and eat it too
i'm more suggesting that he re-affirm or don't re-affirm his claim. Marquis was terrible and lied, and there's no reason to believe the roleclaim meant what we think it meant.

Why do you want to know what someone's role is?
When
do you want to know what someone's role is? :wink:

If you can, please either acknowledge you understand why I'm asking these questions, or answer them. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #487 (isolation #84) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 471, snscompt1 wrote:Rawr. Checking in and will catch up in a bit.

Hiya!
Welcome to the nuthouse! :)

In post 473, snscompt1 wrote:All done.

Holy poop, that was fast!

In post 473, snscompt1 wrote:Onion-My evil twin. As scum I typically try to write out all of the facts to help keep my story straight and prove to others how "we" can win by logic. I barely read half his posts though. I couldn't handle it.

This is just bad. :?

If you wanted to catch scum, you would
not
skim someone's posts because what you see so far looks iffy.
You'd happily gobble them all up, then bury the player under a massive pile of evidence.

In post 476, prawneater wrote:@snscompt1

I think your list is fake.

I call B.S. on you reading Llama as town. Which Llama posts do you like? Do you like any of his cases?
In post 480, snscompt1 wrote:
UNVOTE
VOTE Prawn

Quite asking stupid questions.

There's no way you'd think those questions are stupid, unless they hit too close to home.

UNVOTE: Onion
VOTE: snscompt1

In post 481, prawneater wrote:lol

Hey everyone! I found a scum!

*High five!*

Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #493 (isolation #85) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:59 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 375, Untrod Tripod wrote:you really need to get over yourself and realize there's more ways to play this game than just your narrow interpretation of what is "pro town"

I understand this. :]

I'm willing to let people convince me of their alignment, even when I disagree with their methods.
Your reaction test is a perfect example.

Doesn't mean that I won't suspect those that look fishy while they're at it.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #495 (isolation #86) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:08 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 494, Untrod Tripod wrote:...that was aimed at onion, not you...

Thought you were posting that in srs' defense.
Carry on, then! :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #505 (isolation #87) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:29 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 496, TellTaleHeart wrote:
There's no reason for an onion wagon. The reasons for his read on LlamaFluff he gave after his initial wagon were very likely genuine.
You don't want to read onion's posts, UT? Don't! :] No one is making you.
Personally, I haven't read an onion post since page 7 and I'm getting along just fine!

Do you believe that is a poor reason to suspect onion?

In post 498, TellTaleHeart wrote:Derangement, could you be a dear and vote NJAC or Llama, please?

I don't like the lurkyness and/or tunneling of those slots either, but it is disheartening to see how little voting for them helped improve their activity in the past. :(

I'd prefer using my vote to try and weed out whether any of the active people is scum, and keep policy lynches as a last resort.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #510 (isolation #88) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:23 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 509, TellTaleHeart wrote:Don't be a drama queen.

Do you think PR-hunting is
not
scummy?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #514 (isolation #89) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:40 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 511, TellTaleHeart wrote:I think "PR-hunting" is overstating it and I think you're projecting something sinister onto it that's not really there.

I'm waiting for Onion's reply to convince me of this. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #533 (isolation #90) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 532, onion wrote:
Conclusion, Prawn's actions as of before sns are just a bit scummy. but just a bit. why the wagon on him? i trust derangement so

Derangement, you voted Prawn in 425 because of his place on the Llamawagon (as stated in 411). is that the case? why do you find his position suspicious? (i also find it suspicious, but why do you?)

If I recall correctly, at the time of , Prawn had been focussing on Llama too much for my tastes, with little recent hunting for other scum.
There was only the proposal to lynch one of the onions , which I didn't agree with. He claimed it was reaction-fishing.

Llama was over-tunneling Prawn in return, having
no
recent scum-hunting interactions with anyone else, with made it hard for me to figure out which of the two was most likely scum: The one doing nothing on the side, or the one doing maybe questionable things.

I didn't quite like the reaction test, so I thought I'd ask him about something else that came up when I was re-reading ISOs , in hopes of getting a better idea for Prawn's motivation.

Seeing him post some more , while skipping over my question frustrated me:
I was truly torn between him and Llama, and he was not helping me decide either way.
So I voted him to ensure I got an answer.

To clarify:

I do
not
think it's suspicious to be the fourth person on that wagon, putting Llama at L-2.
I might have done the same thing myself, if I'd read Equinox's answer
()
before the vote happened.

What I wanted to, was to have Prawn commit to a less vague answer about putting Llama at
L-1
, and hopefully get an explanation why.
He did not disappoint. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #562 (isolation #91) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 536, onion wrote:
So i acknowledge your questions derangement. I'd hope NJAC would make up for Marquis but he isn't, and the only situation where NJAC re-claiming would be harmful to us is if he really had a power role and really claimed it, which is both unlikely, and i'd very probably not believe him unless he had some evidence. in every other situation, NJAC re-claiming would provide us with a tiny little bit of information, which would be good because right now i have exactly zero information on him.

Thanks for answering. :]

I think I get where you're coming from, so let me point out why I disapprove of you asking for a claim if you reject Llama's, and therefore don't know NJAC's role.

If he has a PR and claims PR, scum now knows who to shoot.
If he is a VT and claims VT, scum now knows who
not
to shoot, making it more likely a PR will die.
Yes, there is information to be gained for both factions, but scum gains a
lot
more, since NJAC is not being threatened with a hammer at the moment.

The whole reason intent-to-hammer (and requesting a claim) exists is to avoid mislynching PRs, letting them be confirmed or refuted by their night actions, and possibly coercing scum to spend their NK on them, instead of someone else.

Requesting a claim at most other times does more harm than good. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #563 (isolation #92) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:48 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 539, LlamaFluff wrote:Seriously we need to just lynch Prawn.

We are not lynching NJAC because of the VT claim. That one is easy to sort out.
We are not lynching onion because of the whole three scum + what their friend apparently told him. Even if he was scum I really doubt he had the idea to post that in thread to apparently fake town slip or something
We are not lynching me for the same reason we are keeping NJAC alive

We are not lynching anyone else (particularly GIF) because I don't think a wagon can form fast enough

If you VT-claimed, I missed it. (and why would you
do
that, when no one expressed intent to hammer?)
If you didn't... then what reason
are
you giving to promote your own survival? :shifty:

In post 539, LlamaFluff wrote:
Its going to be a prawn lynch or no lynch here, basically guaranteed. Check out how he is trying to justify a lynch of another null read now too:

Also, his gifs kinda annoyed me. That said, I never found bubs particularly scummy, which is why there's no case.

Then he basically just tacks on "OMGUS on sns". I seriously think every scum read of his is someone who called him scum first or was lurking (Marquis). Literally the entire case on sns from Prawn is "I don't like his read and he called me scum and I don't agree with that"

I'm guilty of jumping at the OMGUS, myself. :P

I can understand an emotional response and refusal to answer, but his Prawn vote felt
wrong
, given how he admitted he didn't have a good enough read, and needed to ISO him first.

Waiting on sns' promised next post, since he should be past the emotional reaction now.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #564 (isolation #93) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:52 pm

Post by Derangement »

Also, I'd really really like to hear
some
kind of input from NJAC, before time runs out. :(
In post 0, petroleumjelly wrote:
Day One Deadline
: March 5, 2015, at 6:45 AM PST.
Countdown
: (expired on 2015-03-06 06:45:00)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #571 (isolation #94) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:00 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 569, petroleumjelly wrote:Because the deadline clock was apparently to set to March 6, the deadline will be shifted to March 6, 2015, at 6:45 AM PST. My apologies.

Ours is a kind and benevolent Mod. <3

With luck, we might get GIF to chime in on time now, too. :)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #574 (isolation #95) » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:54 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 572, onion wrote:@Derangement 562
"I think I get where you're coming from, so let me point out why I disapprove of you asking for a claim if you reject Llama's, and therefore don't know NJAC's role."

by which you mean reject Marquis' and therefore don't know NJAC's role, right?

Eep! Yes, I meant Marquis, not Llama. :oops:
That's what I get for morning-posting.

In post 572, onion wrote:its a quasi-confirmed townie, and those always get NK'd. forcing the NK is always good, and forcing it onto a VT is even better. i don't think the scum want a confirmed townie running around.

but is it not true? in your experience do the scum just leave believed VT claims alone because they are less likely to be a power role than a random other target?

Spoiler: My opinion on theory.
I only have two games under my belt, so not that much personal experience to speak of.

In my , the town cop was lynched day one.
Another (very scummy-looking) player later claimed doctor (effectively VT because that meant scum would have a roleblocker).
They weren't NK'd, leaving town to guess whether the claim was a lie, or if scum was WIFOMing everyone with the night kill.

The crux here, is the
quasi
, in quasi-confirmed townie.
Scum can claim VT too, and unless someone investigates the player and comes up with a contradictory result, you have no way of telling whether the claim is true or not.

In this sense, claiming VT says no more about someone's alignment than just saying "I am town", and we both know how that goes. ;)
So, yes, I can
definitely
see scum NKing someone else if they feel like taking a better shot at a PR, and leave the claimed VT's continued credibility to WIFOM.

To play devil's advocate, if claiming VT were a good means of generating quasi-confirmed town, it'd be common practice for one or two players to do so immediately at the start of day one, every game.
The fact that this doesn't happen is probably due to the wisdom of those that have been playing Mafia for longer than we have. :P

P.S.: The claimed doc was actually scum, but it could definitely have been otherwise.

In post 572, onion wrote:
protip: derangement is always right about everything.

Gosh, no! :D
I make mistakes like everyone else, and am still getting used to playing the game on forums, to boot.

I encourage everyone to challenge my ideas, whenever they disagree with them.
Two heads think better than one, and it
really
helps to get feedback from someone who approaches things from a different angle than me.

Case in point:
In post 191, LlamaFluff wrote:onion is also town for 181 unless something major changes in what I think is going on.
If it weren't for this, I'd likely have a
very
different opinion of Onion prior to his happyfun wall time. :]

I'd
really
like it if we did not lynch Llama today.
Still waiting on SNS' "next" post.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #601 (isolation #96) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:02 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 587, LlamaFluff wrote:Will just claim then. I am a one shot tracker. That is why I have been trying to keep Marquis slot alive so much.

I had assumed you were softclaiming a Cop/Hider/Weak something. :(
That would have meant that not lynching you today would either force scum to NK you/Marquis, or give town definite information on Marquis' alignment if we later got mod confirmation of your role.

As a claimed tracker, you'd need to either:
  1. successfully guess who is scum
    and
    win at the WIFOM game of who sends in the night kill, to get a guilty by seeing they visited the person who got killed;
  2. successfully guess who has a town PR, getting an innocent by seeing they visited someone who's still alive. This only works if scum has no PRs of their own.

Seeing someone go nowhere does
not
confirm that person as town, as long as there's more than one scum, and I think it's weird that you suggest it does, especially after strongly hinting who your tracked target might be. ;)

With that said, I'm
not
okay with a Prawn lynch, and would
still
prefer avoiding Llama's.
I'll support lynching either:
  • SNS:

Didn't like his OMGUS;
    Still waiting on why he's voting Prawn.
  • NJAC:

still not contributing;
    VT claim is hard to prove/disprove;
    If he flips scum and Llama's town, that
    greatly
    improves the tracker's usefulness.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #604 (isolation #97) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:15 am

Post by Derangement »

Thank you! :]

UNVOTE: snscompt1
VOTE: NJAC
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #607 (isolation #98) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:39 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 605, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 602, ChannelDelibird wrote:I can see enough of a pattern to Llama's posts that he's at least had this in mind for a little while, regardless of the strength of the heat on him, it's such a godawful plan that I have to give him enough credit to say that he surely wouldn't be banking on it like this as town. It just doesn't sit right with me, like too many things about Llama in this game. He remains my preferred lynch.

I dunno man

I've seen some people have *really* wonky theories about what information results are valuable

he might genuinely think that's a town mindset

Will you consider lynching someone else today, then? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #610 (isolation #99) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:04 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 608, Untrod Tripod wrote:it should be pretty clear from that post that I think he's scum?

Gotcha.
Thought you were saying he was pulling an Onion, with the "he might genuinely think that's a town mindset" thing.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #619 (isolation #100) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:19 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 616, Untrod Tripod wrote:the only way I can interpret it that makes sense is "I have a cop guilty on prawn"

He claimed one-shot, and is proposing we use his ability tonight, so that can't be the case.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #626 (isolation #101) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 am

Post by Derangement »

Ooh, thanks for the theory thread link, Equinox!
That reminds me of something important that can influence how much tracking someone who went nowhere is worth. :]

@mod: If scum have a power role with a night action, is that player allowed to personally do the night action
and
the factional kill in the same night?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #635 (isolation #102) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:10 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 627, onion wrote:@derangement, were you prefering a not-llama lynch because you were sensing his claims? or for some other reason?

My initially strong recommendation to not lynch llama, despite his play day one, was because I was seeing what I thought was a Cop (or weak-role equivalent) softclaim.
That would have made it so Llama would either be NK'd, saving us a mislynch, or we could get confirmation of Marquis' alignment later, should llama ever flip town.

Once he explicitly claimed tracker, my recommendation lost some of its weight, but not all of it:
  1. If llama says he tracked the scum that did the NK, then either llama or the tracked person is scum. That's fantastic! :D
  2. If llama says he tracked a player who targeted someone that's
    not
    the NK, then the tracked person can confirm llama as a tracker, at the cost of confirming themself as a PR.
    If the trend of everyone being one-shot continues, then this is not an issue, since they'll have no shots left anyway. :]
  3. If llama says his target went nowhere, we have no way of knowing if it's because they're a VT who took no night action, scum who took no night action, or if it's because llama is scum.
    This outcome is only helpful if it causes scum not use their PRs (if any exist, and their player can't NK on the same night) to try and achieve it, or if we lynch scum today, so it's best not to pre-announce who Llama plans to track.

My preference for not lynching Llama today is because if we lynch scum, option C now makes Llama almost as good as a cop, and even if we don't, there's still a chance Llama might be smart or lucky enough to to pull off an A or B for us.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #638 (isolation #103) » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:41 am

Post by Derangement »

Also, to elaborate on the two people I'm currently okay with Lynching, SNS is my top pick (null/scumread), and NJAC is a backup one (lurker/liar policy lynch).

While some people say Bubs looked town, there's a few things of his that sounded off to me, later in the day.
Unfortunately, he replaced before he could answer my .
His replacement went and OMGUS-voted prawn, and is yet to return to this game after his initial blitz catch-up to explain why he did it, or follow through on his promised "next post". :o

With only (expired on 2015-03-06 06:45:00) to go, swapping votes away from NJAC risks a no-lynch, so unless three other players explicitly state their preference for an SNS wagon over NJAC's, and declare intent to vote him soon (I plan to be awake for another two and a half hours after this post, but probably not much longer), I'll settle for the policy lynch today.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #656 (isolation #104) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:51 am

Post by Derangement »

That was an unexpected NK. :o
Can't say I was town-reading GIF, even before his V/LA, so I'm thinking scum took him out because of either his stance on Llama probably not being scum, or due to his .

I can't know for sure what plan he had in mind, but I can take a guess, and suggest what I think is the ideal way to handle Llama's tracker result:
  1. Llama reveals who he tracked tonight;
  2. That player states whether or not they took any night action;
  3. Llama confirms or denies this, revealing the full result of his tracking;
  4. If that player took a night action, they confirm or deny Llama's tracker role, by revealing
    who
    they visited at night.

This way, if we're lucky, scum!Llama might accidentally out himself by claiming to have tracked a PR, but guessing their target wrong.
Similarly, town!Llama might confirm himself
and
his target by actually knowing who they targeted.
Thoughts? :]

Also:
In post 640, snscompt1 wrote:
In post 601, Derangement wrote:SNS:
Didn't like his OMGUS;
Still waiting on why he's voting Prawn.

That's enough reason? I don't understand why keep picking at me.

When I see someone do something I don't like, I call them out on it.
I also prefer pushing for lynches on my scumreads over policy lynches, and I was not willing to lynch Llama yesterday.

The fact that you
still
avoided explaining why you voted Prawn, when asked about it, is one of those things I'd like to point out. ;)

Could you please share your reasoning?

VOTE: snscompt1
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #659 (isolation #105) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:12 am

Post by Derangement »

Oh...
Hadn't thought people actually voted due to being annoyed.

Thanks for clarifying, anyway. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #673 (isolation #106) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:51 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 671, snscompt1 wrote:
In post 670, prawneater wrote:VOTE: snscompt1

Why are you scumreading me? Are you still scumreading onion?

Why are all your posts devoid of scumhunting?

Please tell me you're not serious.
You can't be this daft.

I'm not sure why your standard reply to questions directed at you is to dodge them, but it'd be immensely helpful if we didn't have to ask the same thing repeatedly to get a better read on you.

Please? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #685 (isolation #107) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:42 am

Post by Derangement »

Doing a bit of re-reading while the day's off to a slow start.

Before I forget, here's a quick summary of who voted for whom, during day 1, for future reference and ease of access. :]
Spoiler: Day 1 votes
ImageImage
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #694 (isolation #108) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 687, LlamaFluff wrote:
Your plan was to put it quite simply; bordering between dumb and pointless. The only way I would at all slow play my claim was if I actually got a result that had worth. Anything else would either risk giving away extra information if I actually was scum, which is all your plan did. Increased the chance of me actually being able to do damage if I was scum and didn't decide to give a fake guilty result. If your intent was to try and trap a fake tracker claim, you just have them claim the result and if its wrong then it gets countered.

My reasoning was that since the PRs we saw so far were all 1-shot, I was assuming others would be too.
This way, someone being outed as a PR after their action would be no different from an outed VT, with the upside of not telling scum
who
they night-actioned.

You're absolutely right in correcting my idea that a full tracker result could just as well be debunked without going into specifics.
I'll keep this in mind next time. :]

In post 667, LlamaFluff wrote:Tracked UT nowhere which confirms something I saw that basically should make UT unlynchable.

If that's all right, I'd like to ask you to clarify what exactly you mean with unlynchable.
Yesterday, you could
guarantee
a prawn lynch, and that did not happen. :P

In post 691, Untrod Tripod wrote:
you'll note I'm not confirming VT as my role

Sanity check: you
are
, however, confirming having taken no action tonight, right?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #699 (isolation #109) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 695, LlamaFluff wrote:
Went nowhere + other tell I was talking about is why UT should be basically unlynchable in this game. Two fairly solid town tells from a single slot. Also figured the game would move to prawn instead of the likely town VT claim slot who was basically a lurker lynch, I still don't get that one.

Thanks for the prompt answer. :]
While I don't think the other thing is a VT tell, I might be able to get behind your "went nowhere" result as weighting on UT's townieness.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, do you still think that scum were most likely to send the scummiest-read of them to do the NK, because that's already the most likely one to get lynched?
How does that affect the (unlikely) scenario where UT is scum?

As for the not-prawn lynch, I'll be pretty straightforward:
I
really
don't like the day 1 duel between you and Prawn, but think that it's massively unlikely for you to be
both
scum.

Tracker claim means I'd rather keep you alive that day, in the off chance you
are
Town, and your result turns out to be helpful.
But that didn't change my scum read on you, so a Prawn lynch would have been a terribad idea. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #716 (isolation #110) » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Post by Derangement »

So, reading through day 1's Llama vs Prawn again
still
hasn't changed my mind on which of the two I think is scum. :P
Llama has a nasty habit of wording his interpretation of other people's statements in the way that'll make them look the scummiest, and I find myself often disagreeing with the kind of points he's trying to push.

@Llama: have you re-read the thing you wanted to re-read, and if so, would you like to share any insights you may or may not have gotten out of it?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #717 (isolation #111) » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Post by Derangement »

@Onion: I personally do not put too much stock into abstract vote statistics analysis, and prefer to focus on more concrete things, like who was voting for whom during the most decisive moments, who sheeps other players often,
why
people say they're voting, and if their actions match those reasons.

Nonetheless, if you think you can glean some insight from looking at the votes history, then at the very least I recommend you keep a few things in mind:
  • Different players can be more or less active than the rest.
    Someone may have more votes you consider "scummy" or "town-looking" simply because they have more votes overall; ;)
    Lurkers, on the other hand, might appear very null-ish under this kind of analysis, regardless of their alignment.

• How important each vote was, at the time it was made, and how long it stayed there.
    Early RVS votes, for example, are usually inconsequential, unless they stay there long after people started seriously piling serious votes on the same person (or on someone else!).
    Contrast with a vote for a small-ish wagon, which might have been the tipping point that made more people consider flocking to it.

• Most votes for someone are also unvotes away from someone else.
    Did someone flee from a town-lynch once it seemed inevitable?
    Once we catch one of the scum, did anyone's unvote ever prevent them from getting lynched, or dismantle a wagon?

Goes without saying that all of these things are extremely subjective, and should be interpreted on a case-by-case basis whenever possible, but I'm hoping that they might help you out. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #719 (isolation #112) » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Post by Derangement »

Carry on, then. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #721 (isolation #113) » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Post by Derangement »

Well, I'm not sure what, if anything, we can glean from (NJAC+GIF)/total votes, for the time being.

If you're working under the assumption scum will vote town more often than town will vote town (is this actually true?), then perhaps once we have more town flips, and/or a bigger sample, someone will stand out. :]
Right now, I wouldn't trust this statistic even if there were an outlying player: they might just have been unlucky to have vote-swapped between
these
two specific town.
Not knowing anyone else's alignment means we're only looking at a very narrow slice of the votes, when counting which of them are on town.

The second statistic
does
have Bubs/SNS standing out from the rest of us.
I can see it being due to their preference for big but infrequent wall-posts, but which doesn't deter them from voting as often as the more active players.
Of these eight votes, two of them drew my attention: Bubs' temporary 24h vote , and SNS' OMGUS .

I'd personally love to hear from
all
the less-active players more often, so here's hoping day 2 isn't as weird as the first one. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #726 (isolation #114) » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Derangement »

To reiterate, in case Llama missed my questions for him the first time:

In post 699, Derangement wrote:
Just to make sure we're on the same page, do you still think that scum were most likely to send the scummiest-read of them to do the NK, because that's already the most likely one to get lynched?

In post 716, Derangement wrote:have you re-read the thing you wanted to re-read, and if so, would you like to share any insights you may or may not have gotten out of it?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #730 (isolation #115) » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 729, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 699, Derangement wrote:

Scum can do a bunch of different things. The correctly play tends to be make what is most likely to be good, or what is least likely to create a poor result scenario. Basically UT is town. That one comment I pointed out regarding N0 stuff, the negative track, and you could easily argue that him hammering and ending up on a mislynch when we didn't need a majority are all reasons he is town.

I do think UT's probably town, but I
completely
disagree with most of the reasons Llama's presenting.

UT himself said his N0 comment was something he'd do as any alignment/role.
And about the negative track result, notice how Llama chooses not to commit to a yes or no answer on his #729, and sidesteps it with a vague "scum will do what's best for scum, and UT is town". ;)

What I'm trying to get at, is that if Llama were still following this train of thought:
In post 599, LlamaFluff wrote:The argument for tracking VT that has claimed, especially if I am reading number of scum right,
is that if scum (before all this happened) they would be most likely to submit a kill as the player who is already claimed is usually the "expendable" one
, and just statistically in a two scum setup the chance of getting a "false positive" meaning hitting scum who didn't act is low enough to justify a significant town tell.
then he'd expect scum to issue the NK from the most suspected player.

And UT is someone we do
not
suspect right now. So why does him going nowhere prove he's not scum, if according to #599, scum!Llama is the perfect candidate to take no night action?

It bothers me that I don't agree with Llama's reasons for his scum-reads
and
his town-reads.
I get that scum would build bogus scum-cases on townies to force mislynches, but why would they build bogus town-cases? :?
I do
not
think Llama can be scum together with UT, so it can't be trying to shape the game for his buddy.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #731 (isolation #116) » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 727, snscompt1 wrote:Will try and catch up but I'm having trouble following what everyone is trying to say. The huge text blocks don't help.

If there's anything I said that you don't understand, feel free to ask for clarifications about it.

Or don't, if you don't want to figure the game out. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #736 (isolation #117) » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:31 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 734, prawneater wrote:I'm guessing most of you believe or are uncertain about LF's claim as you haven't piled votes on him. If everyone could TL;DR their feelings about LF and his claim, I think that'd help a lot.

My initial reaction to Llama claiming 1-shot tracker instead of 1-shot cop was that he'd done a mild towntell, since a cop fakeclaim would have been much more effective at convincing us not to lynch him.

His continued arguments toward the strength of a "went nowhere" track, coupled with his experience at playing Mafia and listmodding, have me thinking he picked tracker because it was a more
plausible
role, since a 1-shot cop would be strictly better than an already confirmed gunsmith, with no wiggle-room for unknown sanity, and a weak-something PR might not be normal enough to pass suspicion.

So, my thoughts on Llama? His game reads like scum who's more interested in making others look scummy than figuring the game out.
I asked people to not lynch him yesterday in the off chance that I was wrong, and he got us a solid result from his track.

Only reason why I'm not voting him right now is because I'm voting for lurking scum. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #749 (isolation #118) » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:34 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 737, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 736, Derangement wrote:So, my thoughts on Llama? His game reads like scum who's more interested in making others look scummy than figuring the game out.

Define "figuring the game out".

Asking people questions, and trying to generate as much information as you can, instead of limiting yourself to commenting on some posts, while power-focussing on Prawn like you did day 1.
Your day 2 is starting to look a
lot
better in this aspect, even if I still don't agree with most of the arguments you're using. :]

In post 737, LlamaFluff wrote:Do you think that prawn, regardless of alignment, actually hasn't been lying about certain things this game? Like how his reason for unvoting Marquis according to him happened a couple of pages AFTER he unvoted him? I will gladly subscribe to lynch all liars in those types of situations.

This is simply
wrong
As far as I am aware, prawn
never
voted Marquis, and your continued portrayal of him as having done so feels outright manipulative.
Please doublecheck your accusations. :wink:

If you're referring to this:
In post 314, prawneater wrote:I don't have strong scumreads other than LF. Most folk are townreads so I'm willing to POE lynch Onion Bubs or Marquis.
In post 330, prawneater wrote:I've played with Marquis recently.

His lack of play is not alignment indicative, but if he doesn't improve or replace out, he's a fine lynch.
In post 384, prawneater wrote:
Re: Marquis
- His early non-posts do not say anything of his alignment, but it's fine to lynch him as he is an anti-town player.

His recent buddying of me seems town though. I think I'm pretty unpopular at the moment and him putting his neck out supporting me doesn't seem to serve hypothetical scum-Marquis.
then my take on it is that prawn had a scum read on Llama, a null/scum read on Bubs, and an initially null read on Marquis, while townreading everyone else.

It looks like prawn was suggesting a
policy
lynch due to Marquis' lurking.
Once marquis started defending prawn, prawn's read on him changed from null to town.

I see no lie, no inconsistency, and definitely no after-the-unvote change of reasoning.
Please clarify
exactly
what you think Prawn lied about.

In post 737, LlamaFluff wrote:Do you think its at all suspicious that TTH backed off voting me to move to a mislynch that he never really justified a vote for beyond essentially "gut"?

Not really.

She shared her reasons in , and we knew she'd support an NJAC lynch as early as .
Once I expressed why I would prefer not to vote Llama, but would vote for SNS or NJAC , she moved her vote.
The timing makes sense if she did it because she agreed with my reasoning. :]

In post 737, LlamaFluff wrote:
Side note on sns: Why do you think that scum votes NJAC there when NJAC not only had already enough votes for a mislynch (meaning he could easily avoid being on a mislynch be stalling) but also would put me as a PR closer to a lynch. It seems like a vote geared at keeping me alive, which is something that I don't really see scum trying to do in that situation when you could just stall and see what happens.

Its a big reason I like one of TTH/Derange as scum. I don't see that wagon as pure town, GIF flipped town, UT and onion are going to be town as well. As I keep going back on it I like sns a bit for town just because of the timing of the vote. All he has to do as scum there is nothing and chances of lynching a PR increases.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Scum wanted either:
  1. a free mislynch of NJAC (like you've accused TTH of wanting), in which case, SNS contributed to that and should not be townread;
    or,
  2. a PR mislynch on you, in which case, sure, SNS would be town for avoiding it, but
    so would TTH and I
    , for building the wagon that overshadowed yours.

You're giving people different reads for the same reasons.
Why is that? :?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #750 (isolation #119) » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:38 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 741, LlamaFluff wrote:
And I am saying that's a fundamentally flawed idea because it increases your chance of a really bad result (a went somewhere without that spot being NKed player). I play conservatively with roles. Make the plays that have the lowest chance of "very bad" as the result, which is exactly what I did.

Do you think all power roles in this game are one-shot?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #757 (isolation #120) » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:23 am

Post by Derangement »

Welcome back, Tripod! :]

What's your take on SNS's prodge-lurking, and Llama's current oddness?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #760 (isolation #121) » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:36 am

Post by Derangement »

Whoa. Why Onion? :o
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #764 (isolation #122) » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:49 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 763, onion wrote:There'd be 2 paths to take here, the high risk and the low risk. low risk is fake-tracking someone others have a town-read on, and saying a negative result. this would make it very hard to disprove the role claim, and improve your longevity. the high risk route would involve picking someone you want to ace and saying a positive result on them, and trying to get them lynched, and then trying to fight off your own lynch the next day. which would be dumb but a lot more fun. people have said stuff about Llama being a conservative player.

There's also a mid-low risk variant of the first one: Scum!Llama could actually pick
anyone
, and say he got a "went nowhere" on them.
Final result's just as inconclusive, except if people didn't already have a town-read on the person, they might not accept going nowhere as a slight towntell.

I'll share more of my thoughts on the matter once Llama answers this:
In post 750, Derangement wrote:Do you think all power roles in this game are one-shot?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #768 (isolation #123) » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:13 am

Post by Derangement »

On a slightly different note, it's now been three days since both SNS
and
CDB posted. :(

@mod: Could we please request a prod?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #770 (isolation #124) » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 769, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 750, Derangement wrote:Do you think all power roles in this game are one-shot?

Yes. But to answer the question I can see coming from you the correct time to use each type of night action differs, and tracking a player who doesn't have any more actions while not as bad, still outs a PR

Glad you and I think alike there.

My question is, then,
why
would outing a spent PR be a bad thing?
Aren't they like a confirmed Vanilla?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #776 (isolation #125) » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:38 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 775, onion wrote:does the majority of a majority system grant us one more mislynch before Lynch or Lose? i'm still a bit hazy about how it works. would be cool if it did that though.

The majority of a majority system changes only what happens if time
runs out
. :]

If you're in LyLo, town voting town is still an instant loss if scum quickhammers.
If you're in LyLo, and a no-lynch happens, it's also still an instant loss (unless someone prevents the NK).

The end result then, is that in 3vs2, it'll take three to lynch, or two at deadline.
When the deadline hits, all players who aren't using their votes are pretty much agreeing to lynch any person with two votes already on them (or agreeing to no-lynch if no one has two votes!).

In 2vs1, this game is actually
exactly
the same as all the others: two to lynch, still two to lynch at deadline.

In post 775, onion wrote:if we lynch Llama, we'll get less information out of it because we can't predict your method of interacting with him. A scumflip from Llama would go a long way to townifiying the average player in your situation, but your playstyle reduces the value of the information gained.
for you, it only slightly townifys you

I'm not sure I understand why.
Playstyle is only a
part
of the game.

Do you believe that scum!Tripod and scum!Llama might interact with each other in the way they did this whole time?

Your day 1 posting made me think you were assuming this:
In post 742, onion wrote:didn't i say earliery on that tripod and llama ought not both be scum?

Did your opinion change in the meantime?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #778 (isolation #126) » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 777, onion wrote:so that's a no? we don't get 1 more lynch before LoL?

Normally, once scum have a majority of the votes, they control the lynch each day, and kill every night, effectively winning the endgame.

The one weird scenario where this might
technically
break is a 2vs2 or 1vs1, where, since this game seems to require a majority (instead of simply half the players) to no-lynch, the fastest wagon would go through when time was up.

@mod: Could you please clarify how many votes it takes to immediately end the day with a no-lynch, and what happens when town and scum have the same number of players?
:]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #786 (isolation #127) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 784, snscompt1 wrote:They were indeed. Im always online and always checking this thread. I just never had the motivation to sit down and actually work at it. If my slot does get lynched, Prawn, you better have other scum in mind because Im not scum. Which means you should be looking for at least two other people. Just a tip so you dont get stuck in the same rut.

Toodles and good luck guys. Sorry I lurked.

I don't like this post. :?

"When I flip" is still no more proof of alignment than a regular town claim, and feels odd at this point.

If
you flip town (which I find increasingly doubtful), then we'll worry about reviewing the PoE part of our reads. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #792 (isolation #128) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:19 am

Post by Derangement »

Greetings and salutations, Green Crayons! :]

Welcome to a thirty-two page thread with some
preeetty
confusing moments in it.
Your predecessor did some major lurking before he left, so I'm afraid you have only a few days before the deadline comes knocking.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on things so far.
Good luck! :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #799 (isolation #129) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:11 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 797, Green Crayons wrote:
@Derangement:

In post 792, Derangement wrote:Welcome to a thirty-two page thread with some preeetty confusing moments in it.

What did you find confusing?

The whole Prawn vs Llama back-and-forth definitely made me scratch my head, as was the way in which he chose to handle his claimed tracker shot.

In post 796, Green Crayons wrote:1. Want to lynch onion the most.

lol @ folks saying "would onion-scum REALLY come up with the roommate scenario, that's just TOO MASTERFUL FOR SCUM" and then ignoring the onion wallposts of convoluted logic that supports exactly that type of mentality

I do get what you mean. :]
I sorta want to scum-read him for the repeated bad logic, but on the other hand, I'm having a hard time reconciling the thought of someone who posts repeated instances of what I see as rookie questions or mistakes, with master-scum who'd think of the roommate idea.

Is there any specific post or posts from Onion that you find so scummy that you'd prefer an Onion-lynch over Llama's? :o
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #807 (isolation #130) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:59 am

Post by Derangement »

Oh wow. :o
I hadn't noticed how
much
stuff there is on Onion, if we assume his town-tell is faked.

There's still something I'd like you to clarify, though, please:
In post 802, Green Crayons wrote:
4. Appears to have knowledge about Llama's alignment.
caught my eye during my read through, because I thought onion was saying that CDB being on Llama's wagon, pre-Llama flip, was suspicious. This looked like onion had tipped his hand about knowing Llama's (town) alignment. Rereading, though, I see that in , onion is saying that all slots on any bandwagon (except first and hammer) are suspicious.

Why it's alignment indicative:
I still think this points to a scum perspective, and knowledge about Llama's alignment. I'm not convinced this universal aspect of the theory in Post 180 really allays my suspicions about onion preemptively suspecting the folks on Llama's bandwagon. Assuming for the sake of argument that all slots on a town bandwagon are scummy, per onion's theory, that wouldn't hold true for slots on a scum bandwagon. That is, onion has taken a questionable principle that applies to reviewing
town bandwagons
, and has preemptively applied it to Llama's bandwagon while also still suspecting Llama.

What if Llama's actually
scum
?
How does this affect your reads on both of them? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #809 (isolation #131) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:44 am

Post by Derangement »

So I went through a couple of other games, to see if anything popped up, and now I have a question for onion that might seem like a bit of a non-sequitur.

You're back in school, and taking a masters in mathematics.
Is it okay if I ask what area of maths? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #810 (isolation #132) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:47 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 808, Untrod Tripod wrote:Derangement

we can only lynch one person at a time

stop this foolishness

I know, hun. :]

I'm not pushing for a Llama vote at the moment.
What I am, is questioning the validity of Crayons' argument.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #813 (isolation #133) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Post by Derangement »

Thanks for the prompt answer. :]

An ongoing masters in computational maths or logic would have earned an immediate vote from me, but I can see how someone into algebra might actually have little enough exposure to implication stuff that the misunderstandings from day 1 cropped up.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #817 (isolation #134) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 815, onion wrote:help me understand this thing called rolefishing that people tell me i'm doing and that i'm scum for.

Without going into too much theory detail, to avoid cluttering the thread:

Knowledge of players' roles helps scum pick their NKs, so it's in town's best interest to keep that kind of thing unknown.
It's why you don't see every game start with a mass-claim.

In
certain
scenarios, the benefit to town overshadows this downside.
Lynching PRs hurts town
a lot
, for example, so it's important to share your role when someone declares intent to hammer you.

Asking for someone's role in a way that the benefit from it isn't evident (or worth the price) is dubious at best, scummy at worst. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #819 (isolation #135) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 816, LlamaFluff wrote:
Out of curiosity does anyone actually know why TTH voted NJAC?

I might be wrong, but the impression I have is that she did not like the slot's brief reads, when Marquis posted them, nor the extended lurking from all involved.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #824 (isolation #136) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 821, Untrod Tripod wrote:caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan we lynch onion now and stop pussyfooting around

I'd like to hear Crayon's case on Llama, before I decide whether my vote moves. :wink:
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #836 (isolation #137) » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 am

Post by Derangement »

Hmm... Crayons, who do you think is most likely to be the scum team? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #845 (isolation #138) » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:17 pm

Post by Derangement »

@UT:
Would you like to explain what the deciding factor in drastically changing your opinion regarding onion was?

In post 545, Untrod Tripod wrote:
I'm a big fan of your walls. remind me about them if I start voting for you again

I'm no longer certain he's town, but still... :neutral:
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #854 (isolation #139) » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:27 pm

Post by Derangement »

I think I might help with that, actually, if nothing changes with her next post. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #856 (isolation #140) » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by Derangement »

I'm willing to be surprised, if she can pull it off.
Not likely, but hey! :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #870 (isolation #141) » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Post by Derangement »

OnionTowntell notwithstanding, Onion has a few bad posts that I'm currently attributing to being a new player.
It's not so much what the bad stuff he posted is, but how he writes it, and how he then reacts to accusations afterwards. :]

Every instinct I have goes "why, onion, why?", whenever he gives us reason to suspect him, but when we bring our issues up, it sometimes even takes him a while to realise
what
the accusation is.
I believe scum!onion would have known what part of his post had scummy motivations, and would try to explain that asap, rather than drawing attention to himself by talking more about it, in a way that is effectively asking people to build a case around him by explaining why what he did is wrong.

I'm
not
willing to lynch Onion.

Green CrayonsBubs did a few suspicious things, and replaced out before he could clarify why.
SNS was... oh my gosh, I didn't think it was possible to look so scummy in so few posts. :P

And then we have Crayons, who completely blew my mind in the opposite direction. :eek:
Great detailed cases, whose premises don't sound forced, including a case on Onion that went against what I think was popular opinion.
I personally disagree with some of his conclusions, for reasons expressed in this post, but his cases aren't
bad
I just don't think they're strong enough, given the whole picture.

Where I was thoroughly scumreading him before, now I'm no longer super-sure of my scumread on the slot.
I don't think he'll be able to perpetuate this kind of thorough posting, if his cases are on town.

Possible scum.

LlamaFluffLlama's day 1 focus on prawn confuses me.
His way of trying to portray his scumreads in the worst possible way also strikes me as excessive.

And yet, he's responsible for repeatedly strengthening several of my townreads with his reminders, and little details that he points out.
His day 2 game has
significantly
improved in my view, and I actually like his defense of why he tracked who he did, now that I've asked all I wanted to ask.
After interacting with Llama some more, and having him clear a few of my issues up, I'm starting to see how his confusing play might simply be due to a major flaw in communication. :]

Once more, I find myself
not
wanting his lynch.

TellTaleHeartTTH is someone I've been trying to keep an eye on, ever since day 1, and can't really read one way or the other.

She peeks in to drop the occasional comment or question, but doesn't share a lot of her thoughts with the rest of us.
And where I might have be able to imagine her as quiet town day 1, her day 2 is giving me pause, since there really
isn't
much to look at, aside from her continued exchange with Llama.

I was hoping for some show of scumhunting, or even a satisfactory answer to Llama's questions, and instead TTH chooses to do neither.
Why? :(

Possible Scum.

It's getting
really
close to the deadline, and I still don't see other people voting Crayons due to his predecessor's play, so I'm going to hope we can lynch TTH instead of Llama. Please?

UNVOTE: Green Crayons
VOTE: TellTaleHeart
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #905 (isolation #142) » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:25 am

Post by Derangement »

I did not see this one coming. :o

While I may have had a townread on Equinox in early day 1, it's definitely not something that stayed that way as day 2 progressed.
I'd have thought the obvious targets were Tripod or myself, and seeing us both alive is making me want to do some re-reading.

A quick check tells me that:

• Tripod and I scumread TTH, with Equinox being not against lynching her either.

I don't think this particular read influenced the NK much, if at all. :neutral:

• Tripod scumread Onion, I townread Onion, Equinox seemed to be actively looking into him.

Killing me would have helped scum if Onion were town;
    Killing UT would have helped scum if Onion were scum.
    Killing equinox
    might
    have helped scum, depending on whether they thought his suspicions would lead him in the right direction, but I find this an odd way to go about it.

If Onion is scum, it makes UT's survival less desirable to scum. Him being alive looks weird.
    If Onion is town, it makes my survival less desirable to scum. Me being alive looks weird.

• I scumread Crayons, Tripod agreed with Crayons (and was weirded out by it).

If Crayons is scum, it makes my survival questionable.
    If Crayons is town, then UT's survival is questionable (but not as questionable?)

NK analysis based on people's reads at the time points to a possible UT/Onion scumteam, or a Derangement/Crayons one.
I personally find the former to be rather unlikely, and don't agree with the latter. ;)

Looking at it from the other way:

@Crayons:
You say you had a townread on Equinox.
What made you think of him that way?
Did I miss something in his late game?

@Onion:
Could you please clarify what you had in mind, when you wrote:
In post 871, onion wrote:try not to lynch equinox while i'm gone.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #915 (isolation #143) » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:50 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 910, Green Crayons wrote:VOTE: CDB

Consider yourself motivated.

In post 911, Green Crayons wrote:Actually.

UNVOTE: CDB

I've been trying to figure out why this feels
odd
for a while now, and kept drawing a blank.

I may not want to vote CDB right now, but I very much do want to hear from the slot as soon as possible, either in the form of CDB himself, or a replacement, so I can get where Crayons was coming from.

And I just realised that the CDB vote is a red herring:
What's pinging my weirdometer is his blank vote for TTH.

Crayons' entrance made me feel like Llama and Onion were his top two scumreads, with TTH somewhat less so.
He seemed to be pushing Onion with some conviction, and, without an explanation for today's vote, it feels like it could be motivated by how easy lynching her might be. :o

If it weren't for the super-weird NK making me paranoid, I'd have jumped on this wagon immediately.
As it stands, I'd like to ask Crayons' to elaborate on TTH, and how his read on her compared to onion changed since day 2, please.

Likewise, would it be okay if I asked for your opinion on Crayons, TTH? :]
Thanks!
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #920 (isolation #144) » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:24 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 917, Green Crayons wrote:
@Derangement:
I'm going to answer your questions about reads with quotes because the answers are already ITT.

In post 915, Derangement wrote:
In post 910, Green Crayons wrote:VOTE: CDB

Consider yourself motivated.

In post 911, Green Crayons wrote:Actually.

UNVOTE: CDB

I've been trying to figure out why this feels
odd
for a while now, and kept drawing a blank.

So you're searching for a reason to find me scummy, couldn't do it on your own, and are now opening it up to the thread to come up with a "good enough" justification for you to jump onto?

Quite the opposite, actually. :]

You'll notice I wrote that in the
past
Your votes were looking strange to me, and I didn't voice it aloud until I figured out why they were bothering me, because I didn't want to be influenced, and possibly misled, by others.

I find your choice of interpretation is interesting.

That said, thanks for answering :)
Even being entirely made of quotes, it still helps explain things, and tells us that there are no new reasons aside from those.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #921 (isolation #145) » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:46 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 919, prawneater wrote:
Do you guys like GC's case on Onion? I find that I don't agree with many of the points. Last game I played with GC, he was scum and had to make cases out of necessity. And at least one of them was really contrived. I might have that same feeling again with the Onion case.

I don't think points 1 and 3 are scum-indicative.
2 is a maybe for me. The posts GC linked are some of Onion's classic logic walls, but I get town vibes when I read those.
4 might be a forced point on GC's part. I think I follow (but don't agree with) Onion's logic that any D1 wagon that forms quickly has scum on it and there are certain slots that are scummier than others. To call it a scum-slip is reaching maybe?
5 I don't like Onion's play either, but I wouldn't paint it as scum trying to role-fish. I think it's simply too dumb of a play for scum and I can picture town-Onion thinking "oh this play is clever and will help town".

I couldn't spot any outright falsehood or misrep.
What makes me not agree with the conclusion Crayons had about Onion's alignment is how a great many of those reasons are circumstancial, or open to different interpretations.

Sure, if you already think onion is scum, then those explanations work.
But I think a better label would have been
"why this might be alignment indicative"
, since I can also think of non-scum reasons for what Onion did.

The one point GC raised that I really can't agree with was 4, as I pointed out day 2.
It feels like reaching, and in hindsight can be turned around just as well, to say
GC
knew Llama was town, and was building a case on onion based on that, even while llama was one of his scumreads.
Does that sound more convincing when
I
say it? :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #936 (isolation #146) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:07 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 928, onion wrote:also also also i'm not liking Derangement posts lately. 905 contains a question for me about not lynching equinox, which he then dropped, and 915 contains questions for GC which are then dropped in 920. it kinda looks like showing off bait cases to see who bites. maybe its scumhunting though.

I was asking for clarification about where each of you stands, regarding some other player.
That kind of information is hardly sufficient to make a scum case on anyone, but I'm hoping it'll help me narrow down which
pairs
of people can or can't be the scum pair together, based on their interactions, and whether one of the two could have come up with the NKs. :]

Put simply, my reads differ enough from UK's that we can't both be right, and yet I've got a decent town read on him.
So I'm trying to find a different angle from which to look at our scum-reads, to see which ones don't make sense under that new light.
Still need TTH's and CDB's feedback, though.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #937 (isolation #147) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:46 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 931, Green Crayons wrote:
REALLY?

You want to fight over a grammatical syntax as a buffer to my accusation in all but name that you're scum posturing?

That'd be silly. :P
I'm trying to clear up any misconceptions that may have occurred.

To rephrase what I was trying to say:

I thought there was something odd about those posts, and couldn't quite put my finger on it.
Then I realised the reason wasn't the CDB vote/unvote, but rather the fact that my mental image of GC would have favoured a different vote.

So I made to find out why
that
was. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #940 (isolation #148) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:03 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 939, onion wrote:drunking posting is cool

Drunk/sleepy posting is pretty amazing. :D

People will often come up with completely different approaches, compared to their usual selves, with bonus points if those are also accompanied by scum slipping. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #944 (isolation #149) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 am

Post by Derangement »

Come back to us, CDB.
Pweeease?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #946 (isolation #150) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 945, onion wrote:only scum would post pandas

I considered "happy cat has run out of happy", but sad panda is a better wording for my thoughts on CDB. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #948 (isolation #151) » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:15 am

Post by Derangement »

Seriously, though.
While this game's special deadline rule helps prevent no-lynching, I still think it's in our best interests to avoid stalling the day to that point, since all that does is allow a
smaller
group of players to decide whom to lynch, meaning scum won't need to work as hard to ensure a mislynch goes through. :?

@mod: Could we please prod the players who haven't posted in 3+ days?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #954 (isolation #152) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:56 am

Post by Derangement »

I rather hoped that TTH and CDB would chime in, since their feedback would have been pretty useful
before
I fully voiced my thoughts in the thread.
So I waited.
Then prods and prodges happened and I waited some more. :neutral:

I'm not willing to wait longer, so in the interest of moving things forward:
I'm scumreading Crayons and TTH, and have a disturbingly absent read on CDB.

The weird NK gave me pause, and made me want to doublecheck my reads, in case I could find something wrong about any of them.

And then Crayons voted TTH.
Because day 2 left TTH in a position where (even after Equinox was NK'd) she might very well still get lynched, I half-expected that if she is scum, her scum-buddy would try to push someone else, in hopes that maybe some non-TTH wagon would take the spotlight, and she could be saved.

While my initial gut feeling told me that this vote meant I was wrong about either GC or TTH, and this was a case of scum voting town, or town voting scum, now that I had some time to think about it, I
can
see this as bussing:

Scum!GC first voted town!CDB, hoping to ease scum!TTH's life, just like I expected.
He then had some time to think, and found an even better alternative.
Bussing TTH by
starting
the wagon capitalizes on post-NK paranoia by being just the kind of move that distances the two of them, while also putting Crayons in the unique position of having plenty of time to later be persuaded to vote elsewhere without looking like he's vote-hopping.

With this possibility in mind, and provided things stay as they are, I'm willing to lynch:

VOTE: TellTaleHeart
Please contribute. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #955 (isolation #153) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:01 am

Post by Derangement »

I'll also accept a scumclaim or a self-vote as acceptable low-effort alternatives. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #957 (isolation #154) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:20 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 956, Untrod Tripod wrote:not gonna vote yet just in case, but consider my vote on TTH in spirit!

Is it okay if I ask what the "just in case" is, or would you prefer to explain later? :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #964 (isolation #155) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 958, Untrod Tripod wrote:I mean

there's a small but nonzero chance that there's two scum left

it wouldn't be a super balanced setup, but....

I don't want to lose right now

Not having played a closed game before, I'm not sure whether unbalanced games are frequent enough for this kind of caution to be warranted, but I can see where you're coming from, and will follow suit.
UNVOTE: TellTaleHeart

Since the only downside to playing it safe is ghost-votes being absent from the vote-counter, I'll try to keep some sort of unofficial accuse-o-meter going every so often.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #965 (isolation #156) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 959, Green Crayons wrote:
In post 954, Derangement wrote:Bussing

I don't bus.

There's a problem with this kind of statement.

If you're scum, even if you had not bussed before, you show awareness of it, which means you're also aware enough of your own meta that you can easily go against it when it becomes convenient. ;)

As it stands, I'd like to take it one step further, and point out Mini 692: Boost Mafia as an instance where you
did
bus one of your buddies (TDC).

In post 960, Green Crayons wrote:Ergo

Your theory is wrong.

Ergo

Setting up my mislynch after TTH's flip based on your wrong theory is bad.

I'm not trying to set up any lynches based on associative tells.
I'm merely explaining why I no longer have a problem with thinking you can be scum at the same time as TTH.

I like to think the cases on both of you are good enough to stand on their own. :]

While my lynch pool remains unchanged, I think I'd prefer to lynch GC first now, if we can.
FOS: Green Crayons

Unofficial Day Three Accuse-o-meter #3.1

Green Crayons – 1
+1
– prawneater
, Derangement

TellTaleHeart – 1
+1
– Green Crayons
, Untrod Tripod

With
alive it takes
lynch, and
to lynch at deadline. Deadline is
April 8, 2015 at 6:35 AM PST

Not Voting - 6 - ChannelDelibird, onion, TellTaleHeart
, Derangement, Untrod Tripod

Countdown
: (expired on 2015-04-08 06:35:00)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #971 (isolation #157) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 968, Green Crayons wrote:Stop looking for permission from the thread to vote me.

The only thing I'm looking for in the thread right now, regarding you, is two more "ayes", followed by your flip. ;)
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #974 (isolation #158) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:33 am

Post by Derangement »

In post 972, TellTaleHeart wrote:RL is absolutely kicking my ass right now. I may do a catchup over the weekend and I may not.

Sorry to hear about that. :(

Hope things look better for you soon.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #980 (isolation #159) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 978, onion wrote:derangement, i see you vote hopping and i don't like it. what's this noise with FOSing GC? didn't i see one of your reasons for suspecting him is because you suspect TTH?

Not in the slightest.
Bubs left before he could answer one of my suspicions, and SNS nearly broke my scumdar. :P
I suspect this slot, and I have for a while now.

Now, Crayons' entrance
was
quite impressive, and the way in which he pushed TTH today (my other scumread) made me pause to re-evaluate my position on the two of them.
I expected scum!Crayons would have avoided putting more heat on scum!TTH, and his vote went against that.

So I thought I might have been wrong on Crayons being scum, or on TTH being scum.

The bussing theory is not a reason for my scumread on either of them.
It's the reason why I can be at peace with still having scumreads on
both
at the same time.

As for why I've changed my preference from a TTH lynch to a GC one, I'm seeing a lot less awesome from the player on day three.
His use of self-meta (not bussing in the last five years) as a defence for why he's not scum is
exactly
the kind of argument scum will make, even as they merrily go against said meta.

I may not be very experienced, but I'd say there's an important distinction between behavioural self-meta, where a person knows how they usually react to things as some alignment, or what general impression their play gives the other players, and then there's action-based self-meta, where a person takes or doesn't take a certain kind of action, depending on alignment.

The former is a subtle thing, open to interpretation, and since a lot of it stems from the player's personality, it can be hard to avoid.
A person can be self-aware enough to know they're shy/talkative/sassy as
insert-alignment-here
, but even if they try to avoid that, it can take effort, and they might not be as successful as they hoped.

The latter, on the other hand, comes from an easily changed conscious decision.
If a person's aware they always/never do something as scum, then why
wouldn't
they go against their usual choice of action at times, if they stand to gain from it?

Put simply, if the player
always
respects their own self-imposed meta, then it's a trust-tell, which is an actionable offence on this site.
Otherwise, it's a worthless argument, since that player can and will eventually go against it.

In post 978, onion wrote:
but i do have a problem with a GC lynch. that guy's awesome. Bubs was awesome and pro-town, sns was... not town pandering at least, and then GC comes in with amazing cases, data, things that make sense, really pro-town stuff that he really didn't need to do as scum. Sure, the i don't bus thing is irksome, but it ain't all that.

Then our opinions differ on what GC's alignment is.
Hopefully one of us will be able to convince the other, if GC fails to do it himself. :]

In post 978, onion wrote:i'm hesitant to go into day 4 with lurkers still present. i really want to fix that. TTH is scummier than CBD only because we have more data on her than the bird. so even though it seems like a better lynch, it isn't really. we should replace one and lynch the other. i won't vote for GC or tripod at this moment.

I don't want lurkers around either.
I can understand TTH's meatworld issues, and hope she makes a swift and fruitful return to us later, but am frankly surprised that CDB has not replaced yet.

But I want scum around even less than lurkers, and what I see of GC isn't helping his case.
Is Prawn the only other person who's not smitten by his entrance?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #983 (isolation #160) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 981, onion wrote:I've been expressing enough doubts about you that scum!GC could have mustered a reason to vote for you instead of bus his buddy. there would be no reason for scum!GC to vote for scum!TTH at that point in the game.

I thought so too, at first.

If they were both scum, him voting TTH seems to draw unwanted heat on her, at a time where people were
already
suspecting her, after llama's flip.

But the thing is that there aren't really any new accusations to go with that attention. It's just a vote, at a time when no other votes were on her yet, and I doubt people are hammer-happy enough to lynch TTH while she's not posting, if the deadline is far away. ;)

So the end result is that the vote makes GC seem like he's a different alignment from TTH, without adding any
real
danger.
He'll try to find a reason to suspect someone else, use the time he has to see what accusations stick, or who can't explain themselves clearly enough, and
then
he'll unvote her, in favour of his new target.

End result: TTH is still as safe as she'd be if he hadn't voted for her in the first place, but now people might believe he can't be scum together with her.

If they're
not
both scum, then I find it a lot more difficult to explain why town would post like sns's everything, and GC's , , , which feel like purposeful misinterpretation or nitpicking at best, than it is to explain TTH's lurking, and am prioritising accordingly.

Can you see what GC intended when he made those posts?
Do you agree with the points he's trying to raise in them?
I know that since I'm one of the people he's trying to find an angle on, I'm not in a position to be 100% objective about it, but it feels reach-y. :neutral:
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1007 (isolation #161) » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 am

Post by Derangement »

I'd like to start the day by reminding everyone that there's only five players left and we haven't lynched scum yet.
That makes me pretty certain that...

We are now in LyLo

That means that if even
a single townie
votes for another town player, we immediately lose the game if scum quickhammers.
With this in mind, I strongly recommend that no one cast any real votes until we have three people expressing their desire to lynch the same player.

I need to do so some rereading with TTH and UT's flips in mind, but I'll be
reeeeeally
surprised if GC isn't scum.
FOS: Green Crayons

@onion: do you still think he's awesome?
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1018 (isolation #162) » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Post by Derangement »

My apologies, prod received!

Had a project deadline looming that stole way too much of my time. :(
It's now 7am, so I'll be going to sleep, but I'll be sure to
properly
post once I'm awake again.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1023 (isolation #163) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Post by Derangement »

No plan survives contact with the enemy. :neutral:
I said I'd post as soon as I'd wake up, and ended up not being able to.

I'm really,
really
sorry about that.
Prawn or no prawn, nothing kills interest in a game like inactivity, and I'm ashamed to admit I ended up contributing to that, big time. :oops:

So, without further ado, postings!

In post 1010, Green Crayons wrote:All I recall from the Derangement and prawn "vote GC" mantra is that sns was suspicious.

I'd be happy to try to explain my slot's prior occupant's play if you give me something more specific to respond to.

This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios for you, I'm afraid.

Despite sharing the slot with Bubs and SNS, you're not
actually
them, so at best you'd be speculating on why either of them did what they did.
Since you don't actually know their reason, you'd need to try and come up with a plausible answer, and you'd do said figuring out with the assumption that they are town, regardless of your actual alignment.

Unless there's something blatantly evident that everyone else missed, or a tidbit of information that not everyone knows yet, I think it's unlikely that you'll come up with an explanation that Prawn or I haven't thought of ourselves, and decided that your slot being scum is more plausible as a reason.

In post 1009, Green Crayons wrote:So what's the case against me?

As a recap, my reasons to scumread your slot are:
  1. that he'd move votes in 24h unless Marquis contributed.
    It's a minor thing, where the kind of answer Bubs gave would be much more significant than the action itself.
    Sadly, his replacement left my unanswered. :(

2. felt really off to me. He justified it as an emotional response.

3. SNS's , where our questions, he reacts to the act of being asked.

4. SNS's . I'm well aware of the irony of this point. :P

5. SNS's .
    The "when I'm lynched" logic seemed forced, like it's being used as a last ditch attempt to confuse u and/or get prawn to change his read on SNS.
    This is a glorified townclaim (an utterly null action), obfuscated with hypothetical post-flip logic, worded in a way that suggests taking action before the flip even occurs.
    To make matters worse, his claimed reason for leaving is lack of motivation, which strikes me as the complete opposite of his enthusiastic catch-up, and the emotional OMGUS pointed out in (2), above.

6. Crayons' for why he thinks Onion is scum, was possible knowledge of Llama's town alignment.
    At the time, Llama was one of Crayons' scumreads.
    Either this is a bogus reason, in which case Crayons is suspect for padding his Onion case with purposefully bad points, or it's a valid reason, in which case I'd argue it makes him look worse than Onion in hindsight, because
    Crayons
    might have had knowledge of Llama's actual alignment: he chose to push the Llama lynch, without even being bothered by the dissonance that is having one of his cases be based on the innocence of one of his other scumreads.

7. Crayons' steep decline in the quality of his posts, compared to his mega-tidy, way-more-convincing-than-it-should-be entrance.
    I expected he would not be able to keep up appearances like that, once he started to interact with us, and so far, I do not think I was wrong.

His recent tone reminds me of SNS' belligerence pre-lurkage, and some of his posts directed at me and UT feel more like nitpicking, than purposeful scumhunting.

8. Crayons' argument.
    Posted at a time when I was more interested in getting TTH back from lurksville than on GC, it feels more like saving
    his
    bacon for the day, than constructively contributing to the rest of us narrowing down who the second scum was.

In post 1015, Green Crayons wrote:CDB's catchup looks and feels town, even if it's substantively incorrect.

If you can, please elaborate on why his catchup is incorrect, and why you can be certain it's not you who is mistaken. ;)

In post 1015, Green Crayons wrote:
prawn and Derangement have been beating the Bub/sns/GC drum for so long, and so consistently, without actually following through that it feels forced and static.

Bubs gave me mild suspicion.
SNS broke the scale on my scumdar.
You continue to give me reason to suspect your slot.

I have been asking you for clarification when you do something I don't like, trying to convince people of my reads for a while, and I
have
been following through with my vote, attempting to get you lynched.
Short of doublevoting or vigilanteism, which sadly are not in my repertoire, I cannot follow through any further than that. :o

We need other people to vote along with us for that. I'm
really
hoping I was wrong in my town read of Onion, because I do not think I can get him to see past your first town-seeming neat cases, and actually see everything else your slot did, both before and after them. :(
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1024 (isolation #164) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 1014, ChannelDelibird wrote:We need to start proposing scumteams when we talk about scummy people. Only so many combinations available

Agreed, and it bothers me quite a lot that, with TTH being town, I can't narrow down who GC's buddy is as well as I'd like.

I am inclined to think it's not Onion (which makes me fear we'll lose the game soon), both because of my belief that he wouldn't produce his early towntell on purpose, if he were scum, and because his current support of GC matches how I expect him to react to things that
look
towny or informative, regardless of whether they're actually helpful.

Unfortunately, Prawn's been fairly tight-lipped about about everything and anything regarding Onion or myself, and CDB's extended absence throughout the game makes things even harder on his front.
I'd like to hear more from both, please, since at this point I can see how either of them could play as they've been playing, given a scum alignment.

My hope is that we'll find out a lot more based on the next few crucial days, as people announce who they'd like to vote for, and why. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1025 (isolation #165) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 1013, onion wrote:i'm really glad the tripod flipped town because i would have felt really bad about discounting his terrible behavior only to have him be scum. i'd have to lynch every anti-town for the rest of my life.

While it was obviously not the case in this game, there's no such thing as too scummy to be scum.
People have different playstyles. Sometimes they'll look mega-town, sometimes they look like the poster boy for scummyness.

The important part is looking past the formulaic "information is good, risks are bad", and trying to figure out
why
those players are doing what they're doing. :]
What did they hope to accomplish? Do their actions make sense, given their responses, or is the mouth saying one thing, while the hands do something else?

Yes, there are things that are much more likely to come from scum than they are from town, and vice-versa. Quickhammers, bad claims, rolefishing...
But WIFOM is a thing, and sometimes scum
will
do something bad for their own health, if they think they can confuse everyone in the process, or even come out on top, because "scum wouldn't do that".

In post 1013, onion wrote:
Derangement is alive, he's suspicious primarliy because if i were scum i would have killed him long before i killed anyone else other htan maybe equinox. tripod was too scummy to be scum, and derangement is too town to not have been night killed.

The GIF night-kill was unexpected.
The Equinox NK boggled me a lot, and strikes me as something designed to not shake things up too much, more than eliminating bigger threats.
It bothers me a little that you townread equinox that strongly, given the direction he was headed in, particularly as of late day 2.

UT's is the first kill that did not surprise me.
Given your opionion of his play since the beginning, I expected to die before he did, if you're town, but I can understand it if scum were afraid the tracking result would make lynching him too hard.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can say about the too-town-to-live argument regarding myself.

This nearly happened to me in .
I looked very town, my reads were repeatedly wrong, and I nearly made it into LyLo, where I would probably have been mislynched if I hadn't been killed the night before.
I believe the only reason that this didn't happen back then was because the one surviving scum player was fairly less suspicious-looking than the other two town, and NKing me meant he could take a low-risk victory mislynch.

In post 1013, onion wrote:
GC is alive, he's awesome. i really liked bubs, and sns was so terrible that i can't really use his tells to be useful with bubs or GC tells, and GC came in with amazing power, and i really like both him and his slot.

Do you think his case on you was awesome?
Do you also agree with the arguments he presented in the
second
half of day three? Which ones did you find the most convincing? :wink:
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1027 (isolation #166) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:14 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 1026, prawneater wrote:Who should I vote for guys?

...what? :o
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1032 (isolation #167) » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:45 am

Post by Derangement »

What are you doing, Onion?
I get that you'd like to lynch him, but this is just taking an unnecessary risk! :eek:

There's still several days until deadline, and we're likely to get an extension, due to CDB's V/LA.
Can I please please
please
ask you to unvote, until three people are okay with that lynch?

I am personally
not
okay with it, until I hear more from both CDB and Prawneater.
Way too easy to make a mistake that would cost us the game. :neutral:
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1037 (isolation #168) » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 am

Post by Derangement »

Please don't be an Onion.
In the off case that I'm wrong about you being scum, I urge you to at the very least wait for CDB's input before you vote. :(

Prawn isn't going anywhere until he posts, either way, unless he self-hanmers.
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1039 (isolation #169) » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:12 am

Post by Derangement »

VOTE: prawneater
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1040 (isolation #170) » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:13 am

Post by Derangement »

Good game, everyone.
Sorry for being lying scum. :P
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1049 (isolation #171) » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 1045, onion wrote:also for a long time everyone was going on about some early town-tell from me, but for the life of me i don't know what it is. care to enlighten me?

You told us your drunk roomie walked in, you told him the basics of Mafia, and that you were looking for scum.
He guessed three people at random.

This is a town-tell exactly because I did not think you understood why it was one, so you wouldn't make something like this up as scum.

Basically, if you were scum, you wouldn't have been looking for scum, so your roomie wouldn't have made a random guess for you to post about in the first place. ;)

In post 1046, onion wrote:ALSO i'm disturbed about the existence of the too-pro-town scumtell. why is that a thing?

Rule of thumb, it's good for town to have players around offering useful analysis and advice to each other, to better everyone's reads.
It's good for scum if those players die, so those that are left alive are not as active, don't notice key things as often, don't put together as good arguments, or whose reads are simply wrong.

So when a seemingly town-looking player survives for way too long, this surprises people.
Why
didn't
scum kill them?

The obvious reason is that maybe they can't: this "town" player is actually scum, but there's only one scum faction. :)
The alternative is a less likely one: that scum would be making a bit of a gambit and playing the WIFOM game: since there's no reason for a seemingly pro-town player to survive that long, they could try keeping them alive, and let town lynch them instead (bypassing docs, bodyguards, and watchers, and profiting from any incorrect reads in the meantime).
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1055 (isolation #172) » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Post by Derangement »

In post 1053, Green Crayons wrote:Though I still really think bussing is bad as a general strategy.

But I can now see the temptation to do it. Man I just wanted to yell and scream that Derangement was scum.

But scum is probably my least favorite alignment draw. It feels so free to be town and ignorant of what's going on.

After I saw the degree of trust onion put in you towards the end, I strongly considered scum"slipping" on purpose if things started to look like people might vote you. :P
That way you could help lynch me without regrets, and live on to likely win the ensuing 2v1.

That said, yeah, I'll take cooperation over bussing any day of the week, if it doesn't seem suspicious for the town persona you've been playing so far.
I cannot stress enough how thankful I was for your spectacular entrance.

It was a pleasure to be in your team. :]
Derangement
Derangement
Goon
Derangement
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1067 (isolation #173) » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Derangement »

There's a teensy thing in the scum PT that I'd rather not divulge, since I'm hoping to use it again in future games, so I'm looking into whether we can remove just those few posts, so you can enjoy the rest of the scum thread. :]

The gist of the strange NKs is that I expected people would suspect me if I lived too long without getting NK'd, so I tried to save the obvious NK targets for last.
This way people would have had time to get all of the wtf out of their system by the time we reached LyLo, instead of having the sudden paranoia fresh on their minds.

GIF's last post was possibly PR shenanigans.
I liked Equinox's play in the first day, since he seemed to be pretty on point, and inquisitive enough that I worried he might catch one of us over something subtle. So much so, that GC's suggestion made sense.

I think that at the time, my strongest town-reads were UT, who neither of us wanted to NK yet, and onion, who I wanted to keep around all the way to LyLo, in hopes that we could convince him to help us with the final mislynch.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”