Newbie 2085 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Newbie 2085 - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:49 am

Post by Micc »

Newbie 2085
Moderated by Micc

Players:

frogsfrogs
MegAzumarill hunterr, ishrar
T3 ahhlo, Meteor Tome
Tejate Raichu Binatog13
WINfried Panda2004
Laplacian
Dwlee99 Save The Dragons (SE)
fferyllt Taly (SE)
Not Known 15 Prism (SE)

SE - indicates a Semi-Experienced player, a player who has played at least two games on MafiaScum.net

Spoiler: Alive
frogsfrogs
, a
Vanilla Townie
, survived.
Dwlee99
, a
Vanilla Townie
, survived.

Spoiler: Dead
MegAzumarill
, a
Town Mason
, was eliminated Day 1.
WINfried
, a
Vanilla Townie
, was killed Night 1.
Not Known 15
, a
Mafia Goon
, was eliminated Day 2.
Tejate Raichu
, a
Vanilla Townie
, was killed Night 2.
fferyllt
, a
Vanilla Townie
, was eliminated Day 3.
Laplacian
, a
Town Mason
, was killed Night 3.
T3
, a
Mafia Roleblocker
, was eliminated Day 4.

Important Events:

| | | | | | | | |
| |
|
|
Last edited by Micc on Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 16 times in total.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:50 am

Post by Micc »

Game Rules

General Rules/Game Etiquette
  1. Obey all Site-wide Rules.
  2. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  3. You may not quote private communication of any kind. This includes moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  4. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
Activity/Prods/Replacements
  1. Prods of missing players will be issued after 36 hours of no activity.
  2. A prodded player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after which time a replacement search will begin. The prodded player may re-enter the game so long as no replacement has been found.
  3. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  4. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than 36 hours please PM me or post in the thread to declare V/LA.
  5. I reserve the right to force replace players who need extensively long V/LA at my own discretion.
Deadlines
  1. Deadlines for this game will be 10 days for Day 1 and 7 days for following Day Phases. Night Phases will last 48 hours.
  2. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
Player Actions/Voting/Player Death
  1. A simple majority of all living players must agree on one person (via voting) for an Elimination to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down). If no one has a simple majority of votes at deadline a No Elimination will occur.
  2. Votes must be bolded or use the [.vote] tags to be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    or VOTE: Player).
  3. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Elimination
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without an Elimination.
  5. Votes made using nicknames or abbreviations will be counted at my discretion. Fake vote gambits should be executed at your own peril. If I think its a vote, then its a vote.
Miscellaneous
  1. I will use
    Bolded Dark Blue
    (#004080) for Mod posts. Don't impersonate me. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed.
  2. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to my discretion and will be handled as I see fit on a case-by-case basis.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:50 am

Post by Micc »

Setup Information

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role.
The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goon
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: List of Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Sample Role PM's
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town MasonWelcome!

You are a
Town Mason

You know that PLAYER NAME is Town-aligned. You also share a Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You have no active abilities.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town Friendly NeighborWelcome!

You are a
Town Friendly Neighbor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be sent a message informing them that you are Town-aligned.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYERNAME who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker/Rolecop
. Together you share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Mafia Goon
. Together you share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

Mafia Goon

The game thread is here.

Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:50 am

Post by Micc »

Introduction and Tips

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, E-x, and Hammers

E-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from elimination. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at E-1 (1 vote away from an elimination) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that player's elimination. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to eliminate (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see E-2 and E-3 (2 votes away from elimination and 3 votes away from elimination, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being eliminated, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at E-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting eliminated, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counterclaiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get eliminated for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

ELo

ELo is the shortened representation of “Eliminate or Lose.” ELo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to eliminate (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:17 am

Post by Micc »

Role PM's have been sent out. Please confirm using the method described in you role PM.

The game will begin in (expired on 2021-12-11 17:17:12).
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:26 am

Post by Micc »

Panda2004 has (expired on 2021-12-12 17:25:00) to confirm before I search for a replacement. Everyone else has confirmed.

It is now Day 1.

Votecount 1.00
Not Voting (9) -
frogsfrogs, ishrar, Meteor Tome, Binatog13, Panda2004, Laplacian, Save The Dragons, Taly, Prism

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to eliminate.

The deadline for Day 1 is paused at 10 days until all players have confirmed.
Last edited by Micc on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:27 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

first
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:38 am

Post by frogsfrogs »

Howdy everyone!!
VOTE: Binatog13
Laplacian
Laplacian
he/they
Goon
Laplacian
he/they
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:10 am

Post by Laplacian »

Greetings fellow townies. Let us all work together in a non-suspicious manner
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:42 am

Post by Prism »

Hello everyone. I'm an SE, or a semi-experienced player. I've been playing for 11 years, so I've been around the mafia block quite a few times. I'm eager to share all I've learned over the years with you, and my experience is here for you to draw upon. That said, I am far from perfect and I am most excited for the chance for some of you, as fresh young blood, to teach this old dog some new tricks. I hope we have a fun game we can walk away proud of at the end of the day. You will find that the other two SEs have experience equaling or greater than my own, with more talent to boot. The table is very fortunate to have them.

VOTE: Meteor Tome, who confirmed in between day start and now but has yet to post (Micc's original post, citing their need to confirm, is in the start of Day 1 PM)
Meteor Tome
Meteor Tome
Townie
Meteor Tome
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Post by Meteor Tome »

In post 9, Prism wrote:VOTE: Meteor Tome, who confirmed in between day start and now but has yet to post (Micc's original post, citing their need to confirm, is in the start of Day 1 PM)
Genuinely don’t know what happened here, as far as I’m aware I confirmed as soon as I got my role PM, this is the first time I’ve looked at the thread since the game start. Maybe I just don’t understand how it works or something.

VOTE: Save The Dragons Dragons aren’t real silly!
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Post by Taly »

<3
time to foster a nurturing environment for the newbie town

prism
can handle the newbie scum

dragons
can do what he likes ig

but really :D I am
Taly
. I've played Mafia for 7 years. I've had tons of opportunity to fall flat on my ass with incorrect confbias

if yall have any questions about terminology just ask
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Binatog13
Binatog13
Goon
Binatog13
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:14 pm

Post by Binatog13 »

Hello there guys. I expect the SE to help us to play thanks
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:51 am

Post by Taly »

In post 8, Laplacian wrote:Greetings fellow townies. Let us all work together in a non-suspicious manner
Anyone you want to work with in particular?
In post 12, Binatog13 wrote:Hello there guys. I expect the SE to help us to play thanks
SE can be scum too ;)
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
Laplacian
Laplacian
he/they
Goon
Laplacian
he/they
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:14 am

Post by Laplacian »

In post 13, Taly wrote: Anyone you want to work with in particular?
No one specifically. Since we're all innocent town who want to help each other, and all of you SEs seem so friendly and not at all backstabby. Although...
In post 10, Meteor Tome wrote:Dragons aren’t real silly!
What about Komodo Dragons? Seems a bit sus to forget about those awesome lizards VOTE: Meteor Tome
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:30 am

Post by Prism »

Binatog, do you think you still need the help at this point? You seem experienced enough to make your own forays!
In post 10, Meteor Tome wrote:Genuinely don’t know what happened here, as far as I’m aware I confirmed as soon as I got my role PM, this is the first time I’ve looked at the thread since the game start. Maybe I just don’t understand how it works or something.
You confirmed after the day start, so the thread was open already. The confirmation is separate from anything happening with the thread, but it's the timing I keyed in on. Maybe my point is a bit confusing, and maybe you legitimately hadn't opened the thread...but I basically voted you for lurking.

I'm fine keeping my vote for now.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:32 am

Post by Prism »

I should give a heads up that I will be in very sporadically as I've got some approaching deadlines for my graduate school applications. Barring a very early elimination today, this should be cleared up by Day 2.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:09 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

In post 11, Taly wrote:dragons can do what he likes ig
i do what i want
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:27 am

Post by frogsfrogs »

Hmm. I think Prism's lurking argument is interesting!! Maybe I'm taking more +town Prism than -town Meteor Tome from it for now though
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:16 am

Post by Taly »

In post 9, Prism wrote:Hello everyone. I'm an SE, or a semi-experienced player. I've been playing for 11 years, so I've been around the mafia block quite a few times. I'm eager to share all I've learned over the years with you, and my experience is here for you to draw upon. That said, I am far from perfect and I am most excited for the chance for some of you, as fresh young blood, to teach this old dog some new tricks. I hope we have a fun game we can walk away proud of at the end of the day. You will find that the other two SEs have experience equaling or greater than my own, with more talent to boot. The table is very fortunate to have them.

VOTE: Meteor Tome, who confirmed in between day start and now but has yet to post (Micc's original post, citing their need to confirm, is in the start of Day 1 PM)
How serious is the vote? I've seen this argument be placed on both alignments enough to consider it NAI
Save The Dragons wrote:
In post 11, Taly wrote:dragons can do what he likes ig
i do what i want
does that include a vote? ;)
frogsfrogs wrote:Hmm. I think Prism's lurking argument is interesting!! Maybe I'm taking more +town Prism than -town Meteor Tome from it for now though
who else is giving you vibes?
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:27 am

Post by Micc »

Replacing Panda2004.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:30 am

Post by Micc »

WINfried replaces Panda2004.
WINfried
WINfried
Goon
WINfried
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:38 am

Post by WINfried »

Hi there, I'm WINfried, just joint as a replacement for Panda and I'm a townie!

VOTE: ishrar

Reason: First person in the player list who hasn't posted yet.

Have fun, everyone!
WINfried
WINfried
Goon
WINfried
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:53 am

Post by WINfried »

Taly: What's your reason for holding back on a vote right now, do you always play like that?
WINfried
WINfried
Goon
WINfried
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:15 pm

Post by WINfried »

In post 8, Laplacian wrote:Greetings fellow townies. Let us all work together in a non-suspicious manner
Can't tell if you're a townie who does not give a crap or a mafia who doesn't give a crap. But either way I already like you so that's a plus. Hey semi experienced people, do you join newbie games to help or because you hope facing easier opponents? In other news, I had too much coffee, so I'll have to stop myself from commenting for a while and look for other stuff to do. If I don't come back I probably had a heart attack.

Also, regarding "crap": To what degree is swearing okay here? Do I need to watch my tongue?
Also part 2: I will start writing stuff that isn't really intended to be related to the game in italic font style so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”