Newbie 1909 | Scheme | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (isolation #0) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:22 am

Post by Amzela »

In post 7, teacher wrote:VOTE: Loopdan

I don’t know what happened back in your day, but according to Highlander there can be only one elephant avi, and I kinda think it goes to the guy whose username is irrelephant.

On that note, you should all get Avis - it is a courtesy form of “facial recognition” for posts. And you should also kindly answer these questions:

1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
1. RL, I suck at anything involving bluffing but several years. Here, I was allowed to join a 26 person game (yay nepotism) and then made it to the end and died to the hands of FlavorLeaf and what even happened.
2. Terribly.
3. Terribly.
4. Well, given that I 360-headshotted the WRONG PERSON in the last game I think trusting your gut is important. Looking for inconsistencies is important. Seeing if people show their hand too early is also important (although still voted the WRONG PERSON)
To be honest, my motto is trust the people who’re trying their best and wait until people start dying.

Also hi Clemency I’m excited to actually play with you! Kinda sad last game.

Also how important are avatars, @Teacher? This is the problem with dating Cerberus.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:20 am

Post by Amzela »

In post 19, Loopdan wrote:Amzela, why aren't you voting for obvscum dici?
Because as a newbie, picking on the newbies is mean and even though we're in RVSing no need to scare people away.
On that note.
VOTE: Loopdan
Clemency wrote:oh right, amzela, you were in overkill 2 (i think)
i highly recommend you get an avatar simply because it helps accentuate your personality and the type of playstyle you want to convey
also it's good on the eyes
I was I was!
Time to break off and do my own thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.
Also, how does it convey playstyle?
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (isolation #2) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 am

Post by Amzela »

Real question: Is there a way to tell when the game has moved out of RVS?
If Loopdan is voting dicideaq seriously, this would mean Loopdan would explain their voting and what is obvious about dicideaq's scumslip, no?
If they're not (which it seems like so) how does this start happening?
Loopdan wrote:It got us talking about more than who has played with who and other uuseless RVS interactions. And not this game.
It being a self-vote, how does that work? The subject of the conversation has switched to the pros and cons of voting for oneself, right? Does that help figure out the game?

UNVOTE: so we can let people actually make first posts and such.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (isolation #3) » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:53 am

Post by Amzela »

In post 113, EGL wrote:
FoS: Amzela
. Awkward defense of dicide and almost like an OMGUS by proxy when she put the second vote on Loop (teach had already random voted loop).

Competing theories for me: Clemency scum or Amzela & dicide scumpair.
A50 pointed this out to me the first time I played. I vote too heavily and too quickly. My lackluster defense is that I just don't want things to get too out of hand before people post. I know I'm playing to my own sensitivity, but I voted Loopdan because of the jump on Dicideaq, which I get looks super scummy now that he's come back and posted nakedly on Loop. I thought it wasn't fair to pick on a newbie, which is why I did pull an OMFGUS. My mistake.

Time to dig myself into an even deeper hole as I try to be blunt with my reasoning- Dicideaq's post is really... weird. But also is that a common newbie thing to do? I would imagine the draw to OMFGUS vote after coming back to several pages of banter.

@EGL can you explain Clem a bit more? From what I understand, you're getting scummy vibes from the willy-nilly wagon jumping?

@Teacher, is it kosher to vote yourself in RVS for shits and giggles or is that still really scummy?

(Okay back to work and CenturyLink plz turn back on)
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (isolation #4) » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Post by Amzela »

Clem are you okay?
@ Loop, I wanna day Dici because I haven’t ISO’d Clem and gut feelings are scumreading him (but also IRL-me says no lynching until everyone confirms because not fair to others who are new and feel self-conscious about posting. Want everyone to have a chance to catch up and check in/intro before we do anything drastic.)
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #203 (isolation #5) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:41 am

Post by Amzela »

Wow. Dici is already L-1 and no posts. Holidays or scum?

Hi person and child! Also hi flip flop nips of emperors. I’m going to do some catching up today but unfortunately am having a family problem again. Give me a few hours.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (isolation #6) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 am

Post by Amzela »

In post 130, Loopdan wrote:Amzela's is not what I expected. I mean that in a good way.
I'm still trying to figure out what this means. What?
In post 194, teacher wrote:
In post 192, Loopdan wrote:Although I do like his most recent reply ().
i was having a mind meld w you on the initial reaction, but 186 didn’t swing it back to me. 169 (sorry no links from the airport) felt to me almost like someone who saw the disconnect between the skim claim and the reactions post too late after posting, so immediately said it didn’t work.

I’m missing Amzela - I think that slot needs some real time talk. Next time you come on, can you let me know a time to plan to meet you and just live chat? Like it’s now Saturday - let me know any time Monday that works for you and I can shake free for a bit.
I would love to live chat but if this game/this life has taught me anything, it's that shit gets crazy and I flake a lot. Let's try for Monday morning (although my parents are back in and I might get pulled away) or maybe Sunday afternoon?

(yes i'm chuckling to myself about my animu judge me)
In post 206, Clemency wrote:would people be mad if i hammered this
Mama-Amz would be angry because I have a feeling Dici's scared/on holiday. On the other hand, I also reeeeeeeally wanna hammer this too because I'm bad at reading people as well.

@I think Loop? Or maybe EGL? The him in post 141 refers to Dici.

I'm currently reading:
-- Dici as scum lean
>> No matter how much I want to defend the kid, Dici said in post 10 that he'd stay quiet as scum, even though he thinks scum makes a lot of accusations and town stays pretty quiet. Half of me says scared. Other half of me can't shake the scum read. I wouldn't say he scum-slipped because it's hard to scum slip when you're so quiet, especially as a brand-spanking-new person.

-- Loop as... scum lean?
>> really, really didn't like that self-vote, no matter how you slice n' dice it. 87 feels like a weird defense against Clem. 129 is an agreement, but I still don't get the whole thing about Teacher drunk hammering and how that would help town.
The aggression towards Child seems unwarranted, explaining below.
On top of that the 210 push on Teacher to comment on Dici's L-1 instead of IC-posting feels weird. I get that may be an "is Teacher actually town or no?" line of questioning.
I know you wanted to drop this, but it still gives bad vibes, @Loop)

-- Child as null, slight town-lean

In the last game, I think I did the same thing as Child. I would read half-way and then post a bunch and realize that I missed things and it made me look scummy. Though Loop seems to change their mind in 192, the aggression makes it feel like Loop is trying to poke holes in Child's posts before he's even gotten his feet on the ground, which I don't like.

That being said, Child is still null because I don't know how to town read or scum read, as I've discovered.

Town lean on Teacher, though cautious because maybe that's just the IC kicking in?
Will develop better reads on EGL, EmpNips, and Person later. Clem is excluded because he confuses me and I will just put you on this shelf over here. p.edit AS SEEN ABOVE

TL;DR - I made a bunch of reads, Loop is scum, Teach and I will have a chat soon, and Dici pleeeeeease come back soon and explain.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #237 (isolation #7) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Post by Amzela »

In post 223, EGL wrote:Loop has a point. Teach should have commented on dici L-1. I don't like amzela's last post. She comes across as encouraging us to lynch dici while trying to keep a distance from it, like she wants to keep her hands clean. I don't think I like them as a scumpair anymore. I don't like her reasons for defending him, either. Never have.

VOTE: amzela
Fair enough. I honestly just don’t want someone hammered when they’ve only made two posts. It doesn’t seem fair especially since he’s brand new and the whole point of newbie games, if I’m not mistaken, is to get people playing, which is why I didn’t vote. He was L-1.

Given that you’ve switched your votes to me though, that doesn’t put him at L-1 right? Maybe some commitment will help clear my name?
VOTE: dicideaq

@Loop, I guess I defer to other players with regards to aggression being a scum thing. I typically see aggression as a scum thing, because from what I understand it creates wagons quickly and ends days quickly. Then again, I’m also a very passive person IRL and I know different rules apply to a game like Mafia.
Also, could you explain what you mean by scum having me in their pockets?

@Teacher, I’m Mountain Time, so -7 hours to London and 2 hours behind you if you’re in Bethesda, MD.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #238 (isolation #8) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Post by Amzela »

Realizing 234 this makes me look even more scummy.

Goddammit.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #269 (isolation #9) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:44 am

Post by Amzela »

TIL don’t defend anyone.

Any advice on how to defend myself and get myself out of this hole I’ve dug? From anyone.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #322 (isolation #10) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Post by Amzela »

In post 320, teacher wrote:EH, do keep in minds that the odds of correctly calling a team are like 4%, and I have yet to do it (though I regularly try).

I do want to talk with you after I talk with Amzela though. After I went through the ISO I have a lot less suspicions than I had before, so we should hash my points out with yours after the fact.
Speaking of taking. I’ll be probably awake by 11am EST so could we talk then?
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #332 (isolation #11) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:56 am

Post by Amzela »

And with that, @teacher, if you want to start live-chatting, here I am!
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #335 (isolation #12) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:07 am

Post by Amzela »

Well, my scumread was Loopdan based on the self-vote, but after looking at your posts, I'm now... unsure. What you said about Child and Child's reactions are interesting and, though i am biased because it was a wagon on me, I'm starting to think more about the discrepancies of when he first entered the game. Maybe it is a tell?

The reason why I'm wavering on Loop is because of the jokingness that seems to get tossed around early game. If Loop plays the way they do, then that's their play style.

I'm also cautious about claiming scum on Dici, especially given the whole last login for a long while was right after he posted. But he has seemed to have logged in at 1:45 am MST, so now I'm unsure.
You are right about the whole jumping the gun thing with regards to being the 3rd person to post, but it could be convenient timing?

Also sorry for raining on your parade with regards to the avatar. Resistance was because Cerbv666 didn't have one and I happen to be dating the man, the myth, the legend. But I'm also a strong independent woman that needs all the help she can get with figuring out who is who.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #337 (isolation #13) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:18 am

Post by Amzela »

I'm honestly really bad at scumhunting outside of trusting my gut. It's a skill I'll be practicing further, but it seems like I land myself in a lot of scummy-looking situations, so I'll be using that as a guide for my play.

I have played very briefly with Clem. He unfortunately replaced into a wagon that was already building pretty heavily and he got hammered early. I have a lot of trouble reading Clem and based solely on this game, I feel weird about him sheeping onto wagons so easily, since he didn't do any voting the last game, but I'm not sure what that means. I also was completely and utterly confused the first game because 26 players and Alonzo was memeing and there were several replaces and several fights. I have
no idea
how I made it to then end because I coasted a lot.

Speaking of that, what is your read on Clem and LoopDan?
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #341 (isolation #14) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:46 am

Post by Amzela »

Dear lord. I'm all over the place. My feel of Clem is that he's playing differently because he's actually voting, but it doesn't really say anything given the chaos of our initial interaction. I have no lean on him and generally look at him through the lens of "confused".

Re: mobile pop-in
I almost only play on mobile because I'm out-and-about so much. I like to address one-off questions in general to get people answers because it's polite. It's also a self-iso marker for me so that I know where I left off because I'm very scatter-brained. I am on a computer today though!

Re: Anumu

Nothing. What's the anumu with you?
(I honestly have no idea. Where are you getting that question from?)

Re: 258

@Both you and Loop, in reference to my own post, the reason I feel like comboing 234 and 237 made me look scummy was that there is a mention of hammering dici, and then I voted. Hammering = voting in my mind, and it just felt like I did something stupid even though I wasn't hammering Dici. This probably also stemmed from residual bad feelings about my portrayal of myself for defending him and then voting for him. If I were reading me, I would be super confused.

Thanks for pointing that out to me! I miss questions a lot.

I have all sorts of complicated feelings towards Dici. Given that he's only posted twice and I was severely, severely intimidated by the original game I played, I want to give breathing room. In my first game, there was a point in time where two day-night cycles passed before I even had a chance to post again because people were hammering so quickly. But no two games are alike, and as people said, I should let Dici defend himself. Doesn't help that I read Dici as scum. Anyways, complicated, like I said.
I'll be more confident once he or his slot starts posting.

Questions

1. I'm really curious about roles and how games usually try and figure out roles. We know we have a very specific set-up, and I was wondering if there's a general timeline for when we start parsing those out. How does someone even start doing that?
>> reasons for asking: role sorting really helped me figuring out what was going on my first game, and power roles seemed to be talked a lot as super important in games. I know this looks like me trying to switch topics which leads me to my second question...

2. Timing. Are there general timing rules for question asking?

3. I'm still trying to make heads or tails of your SR of Child, taken into account that he's a new player. Could he not just be jumping onto wagons?

---
Unrelated to the chat with Teacher, whoever said to not leave Mafia, I'm working on it! Just get intimidated easily as well as worked up easily.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #344 (isolation #15) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:14 am

Post by Amzela »

Thank you Teacher! I appreciate your analysis a lot. I really, really hope you're town. If you have any more questions, please let me know. I'll try and be less contradictory in the future and will read the wikis more.

Also, a note. Animu. Anime. 213, I had written this game/this life, which is a stupid joke about an anime called No Game No Life. I laugh at my own jokes.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #401 (isolation #16) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:43 am

Post by Amzela »

Good morning everyone.

Loop was Town actually? Huh. I guess those were actually voting shenanigans.

Emp was on V/LA until New Years right? So if people would be okay waiting until Emp posts after Child too before hammering happens?
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #489 (isolation #17) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:55 am

Post by Amzela »

Hey all I haven’t read but I’ve been prodded. I’m currently in family mode and will probably not be able to give anything substantial until tonight. However. Given what my family’s doing, I actually won’t be able to post until probably Sunday evening. Apologies.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #541 (isolation #18) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 am

Post by Amzela »

I want to jump in here before this gets going too much. I’m going to be gone tonight and might be able to post my Wednesday evening but tomorrow is also super cleaning day so I won’t be able to post anything deep.

Is there a reason to mass claim today versus D4? We still don’t want scum to know power roles right?

I wonder if scum has been using teacher’s NKA as a template.

Going back, there’s a reason for why I was surprised that Loop was the kill and I had a NKA but it’s been a while and I’ve stupidly forgotten it. Even though they weren’t the most blatant choice, I wonder if Loop was saying something to make them nervous?

Since Dici died silent and Child died silent, but child being VT, I have a feeling that scum is one of us who’s been talking. Making up for their partner. Is Teacher and EGL done with their discussions? Could we get a EGL analysis?
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #544 (isolation #19) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:25 am

Post by Amzela »

In post 542, EGL wrote:Analysis of or by me?
Either or. More knowledge is always good.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #545 (isolation #20) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:33 am

Post by Amzela »

In post 543, Clemency wrote:
In post 541, Amzela wrote:I want to jump in here before this gets going too much. I’m going to be gone tonight and might be able to post my Wednesday evening but tomorrow is also super cleaning day so I won’t be able to post anything deep.

Is there a reason to mass claim today versus D4? We still don’t want scum to know power roles right?

I wonder if scum has been using teacher’s NKA as a template.

Going back, there’s a reason for why I was surprised that Loop was the kill and I had a NKA but it’s been a while and I’ve stupidly forgotten it. Even though they weren’t the most blatant choice, I wonder if Loop was saying something to make them nervous?

Since Dici died silent and Child died silent, but child being VT, I have a feeling that scum is one of us who’s been talking. Making up for their partner. Is Teacher and EGL done with their discussions? Could we get a EGL analysis?
there's a specific reason i need you all to claim
Can you give us those reasons at all or are we supposed to just trust you?
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #566 (isolation #21) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:49 am

Post by Amzela »

God y'all.

Mass claim okay Clem's Neo I'm Doctor I protected Teacher for the last two days, someone went after teacher last night.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #567 (isolation #22) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 am

Post by Amzela »

VOTE: Flippy
That's 4 right? We needed 4.
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #581 (isolation #23) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 am

Post by Amzela »

In post 580, Loopdan wrote:Teacher, I think I speak for everyone when I say you kicked ass both as an IC and as a town-player. Do you effort that much as scum? That would be exhausting.
I have been spoken for <3

Thank you for the game. I need help figuring out how to seem less scummy?
Amzela
Amzela
Goon
Amzela
Goon
Goon

Post Post #598 (isolation #24) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Post by Amzela »

I do hope Dici comes back though. Dead thread was empty too.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”