Newbie 1934: Tundra (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 242, Menalque wrote:@everyone else who do you think make the most likely mafia pair at this point? why?
Associatives are weak sauce, especially pre-flips. In my roughly 20 games on site, I have of course tried to identify both scums day 1. As yet, I have failed every time.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 262, Menalque wrote:Also, teacher, you still didn’t answer my question about your comment from 162. What’s weird about not finding tone very useful for finding scum in relation to my post 20?
Whats weird is that 20 was a pretty effortful fluff-post. If you dont find tone useful in a game, Im surprised youd put the effort in. It was playful and funny, but it also felt somewhat forced -- a heavy-handed humor if you will. Im surprised youd put in the effort if you didnt think it was meaningful, just to provide strangers a laugh. Just odd that you dont read tone, but you would play tone.
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Post by Menalque »

In post 275, teacher wrote:
In post 242, Menalque wrote:@everyone else who do you think make the most likely mafia pair at this point? why?
Associatives are weak sauce, especially pre-flips. In my roughly 20 games on site, I have of course tried to identify both scums day 1. As yet, I have failed every time.
In post 276, teacher wrote:
In post 262, Menalque wrote:Also, teacher, you still didn’t answer my question about your comment from 162. What’s weird about not finding tone very useful for finding scum in relation to my post 20?
Whats weird is that 20 was a pretty effortful fluff-post. If you dont find tone useful in a game, Im surprised youd put the effort in. It was playful and funny, but it also felt somewhat forced -- a heavy-handed humor if you will. Im surprised youd put in the effort if you didnt think it was meaningful, just to provide strangers a laugh. Just odd that you dont read tone, but you would play tone.
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Post by Menalque »

Shit, that wasn't meant to happen
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Post by Menalque »

This is what I wanted to do.
In post 275, teacher wrote:
Associatives are weak sauce
I'm confused. What does this mean? I wanted to know who everyone thought were the two individually scummiest players, not necessarily in relation to each other but on their own merits.
In post 276, teacher wrote: Whats weird is that 20 was a pretty effortful fluff-post. If you dont find tone useful in a game, Im surprised youd put the effort in. It was playful and funny, but it also felt somewhat forced -- a heavy-handed humor if you will. Im surprised youd put in the effort if you didnt think it was meaningful, just to provide strangers a laugh. Just odd that you dont read tone, but you would play tone.
It wasn't very effortful, and I like playing around when nothing else is happening. My willingness to do so when I'm not busy compared to the fact that I'll radically shift in tone when I'm holiday (which y'all will notice next week) makes me lack confidence in tone as a guide for scumminess.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 204, Menalque wrote:This is terrible logic. Active scum are almost certainly not going to be helping town unless they are very bad. On the contrary, good active scum are going to be able to get pushes for wagons on lurking town using exactly this logic right here. Yes, active town are more helpful than lurking town. But it's a ridiculous claim that having people actively trying to distort the game in their favour being more active (and therefore arguably more likely to be townread if activity is seen as town-indicative) is more beneficial to town compared to town not posting much.
I actually disagree with this. Most of my losses (other than to the elephant himself) have been to lurky scum. Active scum spew associatives and other information once one gets flipped. I would much rather have active scum than lurkey scum. The logic is not terrible, though it is arguable.

Aside @elephant, this post does have a townread (of cinnamon) buried in it.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 279, Menalque wrote:snip for reference
1. Your use of "pair" made me think you meant associatives. Im cool with just asking for the 1-2 punch.

2. Tone =/ activity. You being on holiday may shift your activity. But if it shifts the personality.... (other than from demon rum) :lol:
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:39 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 178, Voted wrote:Got game from RVS by making wagoon.
This is included in your second highest scum ranking. Why is exiting RVS/making wagons a bad thing?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 54, Cinnamon wrote:I like the tone of his post, it reads towny to me. As for the vote, I don't have a read on it yet.

What do you (or anybody else) think?
What about Bob's post here read towny to you?
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Post by Menalque »

In post 280, teacher wrote: Aside @elephant, this post does have a townread (of cinnamon) buried in it.
wait, it does?
In post 281, teacher wrote:
In post 279, Menalque wrote:snip for reference
2. Tone =/ activity. You being on holiday may shift your activity. But if it shifts the personality.... (other than from demon rum) :lol:
what I mean is that I'll be sans laptop and very limited on time, so rather than me wittering away in chit-chat like I am tonight, I will probably be a lot brusquer and more focused on fewer, but more important points (as I see them)
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 105, Eggs wrote:see my first post in my first game (1930 I think)
Why do you think youre being WAY more active and wall-y here than you were there?
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 269, teacher wrote:Dude, we’ve played together exactly once that I can recall. Have you read others of me? I’ve only rolled scum here once in a way that had a chance to make a difference to a game (twice as obv!scum replacements)
Oh wait. Yeah, I mixed you up with Loopdan. I do that a lot.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 212, Eggs wrote:why scum flavour leaf would strong town read two potential mislynches along with menalque. Seems very anti win condition assuming those reads don't flip too easily. Suggests to me that either his partner is in {me, menalque, cinnamon}
That seems to be most of the consensus townblock. Why do you think there are potential mislynches there? Why did you include yourself as a partner -- just the wording seems odd?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 286, Flavor Leaf wrote:
In post 269, teacher wrote:Dude, we’ve played together exactly once that I can recall. Have you read others of me? I’ve only rolled scum here once in a way that had a chance to make a difference to a game (twice as obv!scum replacements)
Oh wait. Yeah, I mixed you up with Loopdan. I do that a lot.
Thats an awesome compliment. I appreciate it.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Post by teacher »

Whole board reads:
  • Nav: Awkward RVS and bizarrely focused on Eggs in ISO. Mechanical scumread from replacement as well.
  • Menalque: Driving the crap out of the game. No way scum comes in with the wall to restart the game after the holiday and mid-game day duldrums. Locktown.
  • Voted: Early board reads list that has odd positioning on Menalque. Dont get why their only vote is navneet, three times over. While I agree with him on most game-theory discussion, dont see much if anything game advancing. Scumlean
  • Cinnamon -- I Love the early game question to elephant re nav. While I have some questions about the reads (e.g., I dont see Flavor as trying to do anything, much less "look towny), I think that difference is more town-indicative of Cinammon trying to find something and analyze it. I really do wish they would pay less attention to SEs - I find it it odd they havent mentioned Eggs, other than to call him apathetic, which seems way off. Town-lean
  • Uncle Bob -- Spicy entrance with odd words in multiple posts; cant name one player other than menalque (the board consensus) that he townreads. Limited thread presence even when active. Cant shake the feeling that this is the LHF mislynch. Null.
  • Eggs -- Very difficult for me to read. Active and advancing the game, but had a weird self-consciousness about being the third on the wagon and sheeping. The readslist in felt oddly townsided, and 105 right after felt defensive. Odd that theyd drop the sheep and push a wagon right as the Voted wagon got serious. I dont want to lynch this due to activity levels, and I think scum does not make the L-2 mistake. I will give it a null.
  • Teacher -- dirtbag.
  • Elephant -- not lynching D1, regardless of reads. And I read him as a strong townlean, despite the lint in my mouth from all the posts he quoted.
  • Flavor -- townlean. This is how Ive seen them play. Im pretty sure he could do it as any style, but I can see some thought process back there too.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Post by teacher »

yea, considering that three of my townreads are on a scumread, I'll bring it to L-1.

VOTE: Voted

This is for real L-1. Do not vote without intent.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I actually think I’m generally more power townie than I am here.

Hmm. Distancing between Teach and Voted...?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Post by teacher »

Thought you had me with Bob, who I just nulled.....
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 259, Irrelephant11 wrote:
In post 202, teacher wrote:
In post 181, Irrelephant11 wrote:I don’t think navneet is scum based on how many votes he’s gotten tbh
Did the wagon feel real to you?
Idk what this question means. What makes a wagon real?
Intent to rope. The navneet Wagon, such as it was, was before post 100. I have yet to see an intentional D1 lynch that early. I could definitely see his partner being on that wagon for distance.

Im not saying your reaction is invalid. But when I went back to look at it, it didnt feel like it was driven by a case and a scumcatch, so much as information gathering without intent to rope.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Goon
Cinnamon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Post by Cinnamon »

In post 283, teacher wrote:
In post 54, Cinnamon wrote:I like the tone of his post, it reads towny to me. As for the vote, I don't have a read on it yet.

What do you (or anybody else) think?
What about Bob's post here read towny to you?
I thought that the straightforwardness and blunt nature of his post was towny
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 292, teacher wrote:Thought you had me with Bob, who I just nulled.....

Sure, but reads are fluid.
Eggs
Eggs
Goon
Eggs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 pm

Post by Eggs »

Teacher, quick point to let you think stuff if required, my Navneet vote was l-1 and not l-2 - hence the fact that it's being treated as not serious. Also that's why voted was calling his thing a fake hammer. Substantive response later.
Eggs
Eggs
Goon
Eggs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 6:58 pm

Post by Eggs »

Hence the fact that it being treated as more serious*
Eggs
Eggs
Goon
Eggs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 pm

Post by Eggs »

In post 285, teacher wrote: Why do you think youre being WAY more active and wall-y here than you were there?
I'm not.

counting lines of text on my mobile vs total thread posts:
1930 - 242/351
1934 - 248/297

If you take out which I consider I should not have had to make ( said exactly the same thing but was ignored/misunderstood) it's 204/296 with games being 0.6895 and 0.6891 personal lines per thread post respectively. So the activity change isn't there except for needing to call bs on bs logic.
teacher wrote:That seems to be most of the consensus townblock. Why do you think there are potential mislynches there? Why did you include yourself as a partner -- just the wording seems odd?
Not at that point it wasn't.

Menalque sure.

I don't qualify as townblock with probably the greenest player all over me.

I also didn't see cinnamon as townblock at that point, at where FL states strong read the other positive statements about cinnamon were you at , me un-scum-leaning at and irrelephant sort of townreading and . Before this they were being mentioned as potential scum.

Myself as partner because I'm presenting an argument that I want people to be able to follow
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner

Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner

Team Mafia Winner

Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Post by Ausuka »

Prodding Uncle Bob.
No matter what happens, I'll be right there with you.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”