Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1749 (isolation #200) » Fri May 14, 2021 5:58 am

Post by Something_Smart »

But it doesn't mean it was Infinity's fault either. Briar was consensus town.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1751 (isolation #201) » Fri May 14, 2021 5:58 am

In post 1743, unwnd wrote:Folding meaning that S_S switched to me and Ydra both switched to me for distancing purposes. The funny thing is that S_S has been pretty consistent in disliking me so I give him that lol
Consistency is not really a towntell
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1753 (isolation #202) » Fri May 14, 2021 5:59 am

In post 1738, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1733, absinthe wrote:I feel like you've spent more time trying to prove that you're town than making a case on catboi. It's not a binary, but more effort has gone to the former on day 2 than the latter. Can you refocus a little?
I'm so so so bad at cases.

I can make a case on catboi if you want. But it's going to suck. So if you say that I'm scum because my case on catboi sucks, after I gave you this warning, I will scream irl.
Requoting this on the new page to make sure it doesn't get buried.

Absinthe, would you like to see a case on catboi?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1754 (isolation #203) » Fri May 14, 2021 6:00 am

In post 1752, unwnd wrote:Do you uh

Want me to still think you're scum over Catboi?
I mean I ultimately don't care what you think. I'm hoping that absinthe will appreciate my commitment to honesty even when it makes me look bad.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1756 (isolation #204) » Fri May 14, 2021 6:01 am

I don't follow that. Only absinthe has the power to decide my fate. If what you think influences her, then I would care, but that doesn't seem incredibly likely.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1765 (isolation #205) » Fri May 14, 2021 6:10 am

In post 1758, unwnd wrote:I'm pretty sure absin is gonna ask you where your solve is in the wall I'm just trying to help you out bud
Well Lukewarm has become more town, at least
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1768 (isolation #206) » Fri May 14, 2021 6:14 am

In post 1767, unwnd wrote:Great so you don't care the whole game just decided I'm scum as if it were a fucking epiphany
I mean I don't care for the same reason I don't care about your read on me.

I think Dunn-scum is probably more likely, at least?

Though I guess I have to wonder about Dunn's whole song and dance about scumclaiming
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1776 (isolation #207) » Fri May 14, 2021 6:44 am

To be fair I am still scumreading unwnd; I realize now that my comment was ambiguous. Dunn-scum is more likely than it was before, not more likely than unwnd-scum.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1785 (isolation #208) » Fri May 14, 2021 8:14 am

Just FYI I don't think my first response to the Briar flip as scum is to rub it in Ana's face.

Not sure how much that's worth, but maybe it's worth something.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1792 (isolation #209) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:27 am

In post 1791, absinthe wrote:I want to trust this sentiment but I just...can't.
Well it's obviously not accurate anymore, because if I have to choose between you and Ana deciding my fate then yeah I'm picking you. But it's replaced with the much simpler argument that I don't 1v1 catboi when Infinity is right there.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1793 (isolation #210) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:29 am

Infinity was already calling me scum, too. It would be so easy to paint that as a setup.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1794 (isolation #211) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:30 am

Speaking of setups, this setup is dope, if I may toot my own horn a little bit. Good call from Isis on pulling this out of the depths of obscurity.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1797 (isolation #212) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:32 am

In post 1795, absinthe wrote:how would scum-you have set up the swap?
Catboi and you, probably? I mean like I said I wouldn't want Ana picking, but I imagine I probably would have rather gone against Infinity than against catboi.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1800 (isolation #213) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 am

In post 1799, absinthe wrote:I think a town-Catboi at the Keep would have made that mini harder for scum to win.
Maybe? I mean people would probably have still taken it as a scumclaim swap, no? So it just comes down to whether catboi guesses right between the two UTR's.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1802 (isolation #214) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:44 am

In post 1801, absinthe wrote:But, that whole interaction from both sides doesn't feel scum-scum to me.
is it going to be productive for me to engage you on this? because that exchange feels like bog-standard distancing to me, especially 169.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1804 (isolation #215) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:49 am

In post 1803, absinthe wrote:he might have correctly voted not-Briar.
I mean the same is also true for Infinity. I don't recall her having a strong leaning one way or the other?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1806 (isolation #216) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:55 am

In post 1805, absinthe wrote:Any thoughts about the Dunn post I pointed up as possible TMI?
Doesn't seem like a TMI to me. From the perspective of Keep being initially 0 scum, the choice was between all three of you.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1807 (isolation #217) » Fri May 14, 2021 11:57 am

In post 1805, absinthe wrote:There was a whole drawn out follow-on exchange which would veer into masterclass level distancing IMO.
Is this the interaction that ends at or does it go longer?

I don't see the masterclass, sorry. All I see is catboi awkwardly breaking it off after not knowing where to go with it.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1809 (isolation #218) » Fri May 14, 2021 12:01 pm

In post 1808, absinthe wrote:catboi wasn't in Ana's day 1/day 2 solve. I think the starting place on seeing that swap might have been less certain in Ana's mind and I don't think Briar wanted Ana's mind jostled much.
I suppose, although Ana's not really the one whom Briar needs to pander to.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1811 (isolation #219) » Fri May 14, 2021 12:19 pm

here you go absinthe

it is a mess as promised
Spoiler: catboi case
In post 818, catboi wrote:I've half a mind to just jump to the gate right now - I actually didn't mind lukewarm's suggestion earlier that I be the third at the keep, because I don't see scum motivation in Anastasia's play and although briar's play didn't make a ton of sense to me I feel as though she's threadspewed from the townreads on her, but, selfishly, I want to stay in the game longer and I think the keep should be resolved first. I feel like I'm able to play better after flips are on the table.
So this logic is... bad. It's just flat-out not playing to wincon if true. "It might make sense to put me at the Keep... but I think Gate is more fun, so I'm just gonna pick it." And they did pick it. Because they want to be in the game longer.

I can't help but notice that at this point, Briar (flipped scum) and unwnd (top pick for third scum) had already locked into the other two locations. Surely that's just a wacky coincidence though, and not catboi inventing a flimsy excuse to guarantee a very early 1-1-1 split?

(And even if I'm wrong about unwnd, we will notice that Dunn jumped to the wall as soon as it was looking like he might not make it there. So Dunn being scum over unwnd doesn't sink this theory.)

Well, let's see if there's any way we can figure out whether this is catboi's real opinion or just an excuse. How about , where they indicate the resolution order should be Keep > Gate > Wall. Why not Keep > Wall > Gate? What happened to selfishly wanting to stay alive as long as possible?

You know, this might be just me, but I'm not seeing any other references to that.

Oh hey, they talked about their motivation for going to the Gate:
In post 1539, catboi wrote:My feeling was that, assuming the two townreads already at the keep were correct, me going there would ensure it was all town and force the mafia to swap with one of us. Being that I was not as townread as the other two, I'd likely be left there and I could just vote my townread and win a point. However it seemed almost superfluous to me - they were likely to get voted without my help regardless, and I'd end up removing myself from the game before being able to do much. Like I said in the post you quoted, I feel like I'm able to contribute a lot more effectively once there's been some flips and I can analyze based on interactions. Granted this way I have to convince people I'm town myself, which is not always easy for me, but I still feel as though I'm more valuable this way.
And this just seems like a lie. Like, this isn't the justification they gave when they locked it in! They said that the Keep would be fine, but they wanted to stay alive longer.

And there's also , which I touched on before. It's clearly wrong (omg catboi made 2 posts supporting ana and only 1 supporting briar, obviously they would automatically trust ana over briar and surely the scum were able to deduce that !) and while the motivation for it doesn't
have
to be malicious, it seems to just be the judicious townie thing to do to actually, like check this before posting it? especially since catboi is clearly trying to project this deliberative vibe (even though as I think I've previously said, it really isn't even pro-town to be that way).

And is like... arguably a perspective slip. They're trying to frame my flailing and freaking out as a scum response to an unusual thing happening, even though if I were scum I would have known the Briar scumflip was coming a mile away and indeed my reaction was only so disorganized because I am town and WAS caught off balance. (Absinthe was I believe the one to first point this out. It was a good point.)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1813 (isolation #220) » Fri May 14, 2021 12:22 pm

ok... what's non-partnery about that? why is it harder for Briar to write that post to a partner than to a townie?

like it's impressive analysis to fake, no doubt, but I don't see why her knowing the read is right makes it any harder to write that than knowing it's wrong. (I would think it would actually make it easier?)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1816 (isolation #221) » Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 pm

I mean if it's WIFOM either way then what makes it masterclass distancing but just regular scum play if it's S -> T

I really don't understand that. Like yes it was good scum play by her and yes it was probably excessive, but why was it more excessive/more risky if catboi is scum? If anything it seems like it makes MORE sense S/S because they're trying to make interactions that look genuine... but ultimately yes it is WIFOM.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1823 (isolation #222) » Fri May 14, 2021 12:44 pm

In post 1819, absinthe wrote:Looking at it from the now-perspective, I know it's false from her side, but it still doesn't spew catboi as either alignment to me.
Yeah I mean that's perfectly fine. I'm not expecting you to see everything from my POV, but you said before that it was masterclass level distancing which I thought implied that you thought it was not likely to be distancing.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1840 (isolation #223) » Fri May 14, 2021 1:08 pm

In post 1833, unwnd wrote:Keep wasn't locked in before you voted right? Isn't that why Infinity got dumped there?
O.o
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1842 (isolation #224) » Fri May 14, 2021 1:12 pm

But I DID accept your townslip...
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1843 (isolation #225) » Fri May 14, 2021 1:13 pm

Though I do think unwnd is more likely to slip that way as scum than Dunn?

unwnd how hands-on are you usually in decisions as scum
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1848 (isolation #226) » Fri May 14, 2021 1:25 pm

How much would you have tried to help your scumteam decide what actions to take? (in this case, it would be who to swap and who to confirm as town)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1871 (isolation #227) » Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 pm

In post 1866, catboi wrote:You made an argument about how you would have swapped someone who is going to flip scum because of course you would - you're not going to betray knowledge she's flipping mafia so you act uninformed and point back to it when she flips - it's a very basic play. Are you seriously trying to argue that kind of move is beneath your capability?
Yeah probably? I mean I would have been really leery to play into the "Briar is obvtown" narrative as scum, since I don't think I would necessarily be confident in navigating that in a way that looks genuine. So I think I probably would have avoided talking about her, or at least it would have been more hesitant.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1928 (isolation #228) » Sat May 15, 2021 7:15 am

In post 1924, catboi wrote:If you would like "textbook distancing", how about this: pretending to be mistaken about the identity of an alt.
How do you know that Briar shared her identity with her partners?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1929 (isolation #229) » Sat May 15, 2021 7:16 am

In post 1925, catboi wrote:Also, very, very subtle, but I feel like here he's trying to push Anastasia toward committing to voting Briar at first, only to tie himself in a knot by saying scum would hesitate, but town shouldn't commit to their reads either - I think given how he saw ana was doubting him, he just shifted his argument knowing she'd do the opposite of what he said. There's a bit of a halt where he says "you're playing badly if town by committing to your reads" but there was never the followthrough to the next logical step - that scum would leave her with whichever of her reads was wrong.
I mean you also left off the part where I explicitly criticized Ana for locking into her Briar/absinthe townreads and refusing to ever go back on them.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1974 (isolation #230) » Sun May 16, 2021 1:41 am

In post 1963, absinthe wrote:Would the other townies please post?
No.

(Sorry I have a very busy weekend. More later.)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2015 (isolation #231) » Sun May 16, 2021 2:18 pm

In post 2010, absinthe wrote:Catboi is moving into the "if scum I'm gonna cry" zone.
what exactly is difficult for scum to fake in that post

70% of it is literally just recapping what happened
20% of it is saying stuff does or doesn't look like a partner interaction with zero explanation
10% of it is based on Ydrasse meta which is the only actual analysis there but that's so easy to fake

or is it just, you would feel bad voting against someone who's put in so much effort?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2016 (isolation #232) » Sun May 16, 2021 2:19 pm

In post 2011, Dunnstral wrote:scum are not holding back this game
there are two very different ways to read this lol
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2018 (isolation #233) » Sun May 16, 2021 2:21 pm

I assume you meant it as "this game, scum are not holding back"?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2024 (isolation #234) » Sun May 16, 2021 2:34 pm

In post 2023, absinthe wrote:Who do you have as the scum at the Wall now?
still unwnd, I think? but growing less confident in my opinion, and caring less since it's becoming clearer that the Wall is getting resolved before the Keep.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2027 (isolation #235) » Sun May 16, 2021 2:37 pm

Uh, I meant Gate, not Keep, lol.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2029 (isolation #236) » Sun May 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Because if the Wall is flipping before the Gate, then my opinion shouldn't be taken into consideration there, and as a result I could say whatever I wanted as scum so it won't help read me.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2032 (isolation #237) » Sun May 16, 2021 2:41 pm

Sure, but there's nothing I can do about that.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2036 (isolation #238) » Sun May 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Maybe. Fat lot of good they've done so far.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2044 (isolation #239) » Sun May 16, 2021 4:32 pm

I find it fascinating that people are dwelling so heavily on my suggestion that Infinity go to the Wall. Perhaps not wrongly, but I do feel like people are blowing it out of proportion when it was just a mild scumlean.

And, Infinity scumread me too, so it's not as if she was jumping to listen to me.

Still, it's something concrete that I did commit to, and I guess it's noteworthy that I'm the only one of the slots in contention that made a suggestion like that? Or at least I'm the only one that made a suggestion that's getting talked about.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2058 (isolation #240) » Sun May 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Are you convinced that Lukewarm is town?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2060 (isolation #241) » Sun May 16, 2021 5:42 pm

Why not vote Dunn then?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2063 (isolation #242) » Sun May 16, 2021 5:44 pm

From your point of view? Probably, not that my opinion matters for much.

I guess if catboi and I agree that Lukewarm is town that counts for something.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2078 (isolation #243) » Sun May 16, 2021 6:40 pm

Let's just say someone's about to cry, I guess?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2092 (isolation #244) » Sun May 16, 2021 6:54 pm

Did people like the setup overall? Do you have any suggestions for changes/improvements?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2171 (isolation #245) » Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 am

Regarding these unclear points, I'm not sure that I had a specific answer in mind for some of them. But I like your decisions-- everything is in one thread, but you can only vote for your own game, and resolved games flip immediately and no one from them can post.

I was trying to think about a way to address unwnd's complaint-- that sometimes people in one game have no incentive to care about the other games. I feel like this mostly applies to the Gate, because its unconfirmed members are 50% scum rather than 33%, and people are motivated to leave the Gate till last because of the IC. Even despite these, I think I was wrong in not caring, because if catboi and I both scumread unwnd then everyone can be sure that one townie supports it.

But, maybe that could be mitigated by not removing the IC's thread access after their game ends? Because the main reason to remove thread access is to prevent extra IC's, so if someone is already an IC, I can see this fix making sense.

The game's EV is just a tad over 50%, and I was afraid that it would be townsided in practice because there's an IC and there are no NK's. In some sense I'm glad scum won because it makes me less afraid of that (though, the scumteam did play very strongly). I think maybe making the IC permanent wouldn't swing the needle too far? It's probably worth it, because I don't want "Gate last" to become obviously best.

If anyone ran this setup again, I'd join it in a heartbeat. If nobody does, I might run it myself. I enjoyed it a lot and definitely want to see it tested more. (And thanks for modding Marashu! You're a really good mod!)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2173 (isolation #246) » Mon May 17, 2021 7:09 am

I've updated the wiki page to clarify the things that weren't specified and also add the rule about the IC always being able to post. Not sure if I'll keep that, but I'd like to see how it plays out.

Return to “Completed Open Games”