Mini 1568: Another Awesome Alliteration Adventure (over)

T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 am

Post by T S O »

In post 220, Riptide wrote:Unless you get in PRs, which is different, and I'm not getting into).
Don't give her any ideas... :?
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Post by MTD »

MTD, the lurking was intentional and strategical to relieve pressure though. And admittedly too.
yes... but as I said, I have no problem with the reason she provides. I mean, yeah, that's something scum might do, too, but so might town, and in this case I don't find the scum explanation to be more probable (as I have already said probably)
still the same old MTD
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Post by T S O »

Do you have a problem with her later attributing it to non-intentional inactivity?
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Post by MTD »

Yes. That is something I do have a problem with, I just stumbled across that and it does seem strange.
still the same old MTD
Riptide
Riptide
Goon
Riptide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Post by Riptide »

In post 222, MTD wrote:
In post 220, Riptide wrote:She said that he was town for blind aggression. She also said he leans scum because of his aggression. Either this is a contradiction or fence sitting disguised in wording.
What? don't you ever have arguments for scum and for town on a person?
Still. Lurking is not town. Ever. (Unless you get in PRs, which is different, and I'm not getting in to)
Already said that, lurking is null.
Arguably lurking under pressure, as TSO said, may in general be more probably scum, not sure about that though.
Yes, I do. The difference is someone saying "Player A is town because of his aggression, but scum because of post whatever" and saying "Player A is town because of his aggression, but scum because of his aggression"

I agree lurking is most often null, but trying to pass it off as town is ridiculous.
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Post by MTD »

In post 229, Riptide wrote:Yes, I do. The difference is someone saying "Player A is town because of his aggression, but scum because of post whatever" and saying "Player A is town because of his aggression, but scum because of his aggression"
Looks more like "Player A is probably town for blind aggression, but it might be faked, so I also lean towards scumreading him, so null"
But yeah, that point TSO turned up just now makes me unsure.
I will do another readup on her tomorrow, have to go to sleep now.
still the same old MTD
Elyse
Elyse
Jack of All Trades
Elyse
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Post by Elyse »

@TSO
I went town->null->town on Cho. I didn't like the post I said I didn't like and then I thought his most recent post outlining his concerns about Jargonaut seemed very townie. I don't necessarily agree with it, but he's taking the initiative and trying to find scum, something Riptide has continued to fail to do.

Also, why does confirmation bias make someone scum?
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Post by T S O »

Pretty sure confirmation bias is something to do reading your scum role PM and thus knowing others are Town.

I could be wrong here.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Post by T S O »

I'll respond to you further tomorrow, Elyse, I'm falling asleep here.
mnemonicdevice
mnemonicdevice
Goon
mnemonicdevice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Post by mnemonicdevice »

Wow. I am not caught up on this.
Will make a long catchup post by weekend at the latest.
Elyse
Elyse
Jack of All Trades
Elyse
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Post by Elyse »

Ok.

I thought confirmation bias is when people pick out certain things that confirm what they think is true and ignore what doesn't support their idea. So I think that makes them town actually.
caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Post by caledfwitch »

Replace me out please. I can't commit to this, sorry :/
Elyse
Elyse
Jack of All Trades
Elyse
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Post by Elyse »

Before you go, are you scum?
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

In post 188, Elyse wrote:
In post 169, Riptide wrote:Someone please engage me. Apathy is starting to infect me.

TBP - Do you have any other thoughts besides on Cho?

- Dice
My point exactly.

Also I'm back to townreading Cho.
In post 231, Elyse wrote:@TSO
I went town->null->town on Cho. I didn't like the post I said I didn't like and then I thought his most recent post outlining his concerns about Jargonaut seemed very townie. I don't necessarily agree with it, but he's taking the initiative and trying to find scum, something Riptide has continued to fail to do.

Also, why does confirmation bias make someone scum?
barn these posts
Cho
Cho
Goon
Cho
Goon
Goon

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Post by Cho »

I'm on my phone with only a bit of time to spare, so no quotes.

Elyse is right about confirmation bias. I think at times it also goes a bit further than just ignoring what doesn't support the tunneling, but instead actively trying to read everything they say as coming from a scum perspective rather than trying to actually analyze it from either perspective.

I already explained, once again, that there was a period where I lurked prior to my "list" post. In my next series of posts after that, I mentioned that from my "list" post to that point, I was inactive. Please actually read that.

Riptide, I like wordplay. So when T S O said my lurking made me a scumfuck, I copied that and changed town to scum. Because a good part of that post was a direct response to T S O.

Yeah, I'm saying he's town for his aggression and then scum for his aggression. I typed that out as I thought about it. As I see it his aggression can be seen as town and insulting other players like he did doesn't exactly make friends. In other words I feel like scum have more of an incentive to buddy.

Right afterward, I said that I couldn't just say he was town because of that and that he could still be scum because of meta reasons and that hyper aggression for him is not a concrete town tell. I've played with him before.

Then I said I would decide to list him as a null read, but that I hoped he was scum. If you want me to explain this too, it means that I hope in the end I was initially right to vote him.

To summarize, in my list post I recognized that my vote was probably OMGUS, but I liked it because I didn't like his play. He wasn't in any danger of a lynch, so you could call that me being in limbo.

In the same post I said why he could be town, why he could be scum, and that a null read was easier for me to settle with.

You can't say I'm contradicting myself on my T S O read. I'm not.

Arden

Cho
Cho
Goon
Cho
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:47 pm

Post by Cho »

That's a lot longer than it felt like.

Something I forgot: when you put pressure on town you can't expect them not to feel it. I avoided posting so quickly after that initial push. So what?

Asking "why would town lurk under pressure" as if the no brainer answer is "they wouldn't" is ridiculous.

Feeling the pressure to look town, and not to "scumslip" so people have something to attack me with, right now.

Arden

N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Post by N »

Searching for replacement for caledfwitch

addax
noun
a large, pale-colored antelope, Addax nasomaculatus, of North Africa, with loosely spiraled horns.

Vote Count 1.07
toolenduso
(0)
The Betting Pool
(0)
caledfwitch
(1) MTD
mnemonicdevice
(0)
Jargonaut
(1) Cho
Dunhamganger
(0)
MTD
(0)
Elyse
(0)
T S O
(0)
Riptide
(4) mnemonicdevice, Burning_Earth, Dunhamganger, Elyse
Cho
(5)
T S O, Riptide, Egg, toolenduso, The Betting Pool
Burning_Earth
(0)
Egg
(1) caledfwitch

Not Voting
(1) Jargonaut

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

Deadline is in
(expired on 2014-05-03 21:42:05)
Last edited by N on Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Post by N »

Rubicon replaces caledfwitch
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Jargonaut
Jargonaut
Goon
Jargonaut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Post by Jargonaut »

In post 235, Elyse wrote:Ok.

I thought confirmation bias is when people pick out certain things that confirm what they think is true and ignore what doesn't support their idea. So I think that makes them town actually.
This is correct... TSO what exactly are you saying? I think Cho was saying that
you
are suffering from confirmation bias against
her

I think what MTD is saying about the "contradiction" is definitely correct. That is, it doesn't exist. How MTD phrased it is very clearly what she said if you look at the post:
In post 144, Cho wrote:
a)
I really want to bring myself to scumread him

i)
but I reluctantly think he is town for the blind aggression

1)
and yet I am also leaning toward scumreading him because I know he can be hyperaggressive to form a façade of towniness when he is scum.

a)
T S O is a
null
leaning
I-hope-you-are-scum
read for me.
Rubicon
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Post by Rubicon »

Yo.
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

yo.

What amazing content: the word yo (btw thanks for replacing in so quickly)

Also, please vote riptide kkthnx
Jargonaut
Jargonaut
Goon
Jargonaut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Post by Jargonaut »

Uh, what exactly is your case on Riptide? They answered your points a while back in , and I don't think you've said much else about them being scum.
Rubicon
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by Rubicon »

In post 245, Burning_Earth wrote:yo.

What amazing content: the word yo (btw thanks for replacing in so quickly)

Also, please vote riptide kkthnx
Content will come in the morning, still catching up.
Rubicon
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Post by Rubicon »

decided to stay up and talk a little about the Cho-TSO thing. Will post thoughts about other players tomorrow (and decide who to vote), but want to see how those two respond to this.
In post 27, Cho wrote:I am 100% confident that Cho, Elyse, and mnemonicdevice are Town for their votes. Accordingly, they are now Town Day 1 Unlynchables.

UNVOTE:
VOTE: MTD
This post comes so close to being something I approve of, yet somehow falls so short.

You state here that you were deliberately exaggerating your reads on these players:
In post 181, Cho wrote:
3)
I'm "backing off" because I made an RVS statement meant to come off as a strong read, even though I knew myself that it wasn't concrete at all. I don't particularly like this point either because I'm both going to be called Scum for using the buzzword, and called Scum for admitting it was a buzzword.
You must have known this whole series of early posts would attract attention. So why did you want that attention? What were you hoping to achieve by making exaggerated statements like this?
In post 32, Cho wrote:As a result, Cho, Elyse, and mnemonicdevice are exempt from much of my suspicion for today, provided that they don't royally fuck up, of course!
What are your current reads on Elyse and mnemonicdevice? (I won't bother asking for your current read on Cho. :wink: )
In post 40, Cho wrote:Lastly, why should we assume that this game is or isn't multiball? Regardless, you'll never be conftown, because you're being quite mean right now.
Cho, please explain this comment.
I can't find any context for it, and when asked about it earlier, you never responded.
In post 44, Cho wrote:
Riptide
, yes, of course! Their votes and posts simply looked so comfortable. It certainly doesn't look like scum forcing themselves to play along with town's "true RVS" game, as may happen when scum are trying to choose whether to place their first vote on a teammate or not!

Of course, this isn't a concrete towntell, as I've already explained. But I like their votes, and so far I like Elyse's style!
Was this serious?

If you're scum, this looks like you're deliberately creating WIFOMy interactions with Elyse and mnemonicdevice in case your over-the-top posts get you lynched. I don't understand why you, if town, would be doing this, but feel free to explain it if you can.
In post 47, Cho wrote:But while I'm not allowing myself to completely exclude those players, Elyse in particular, from potentially being scum, I
am
allowing myself the small luxury of feeling like I can trust them for the time being. (Meaning, I'm not going to bother myself in trying to envision scenarios where they could be scum, at least for Day 1.)
Why not? As an approach to the game of mafia, what do you gain by ignoring certain players during Day 1? (This is a serious question.) It's ironic because the more you say you're ignoring those players the more I want to hear you give detailed, concrete thoughts about them.
In post 53, Cho wrote:
MTD:
I tend to see a vote without explanation in RVS as a good thing, shockingly enough, as I also think scum are more likely to overanalyze every early move they make. I know that in my own early non-replacement scum games, I deliberated over where I would place my RVS vote, what kind of joke I would attempt to use to explain it, and so on. Seeing a naked vote is refreshing. I won't deny that the repeated questioning on this point and player in particular is making me less confident on my stance there, but that was what I saw at the time.
I have trouble believing you think naked votes are a town tell.

--
In post 49, T S O wrote:
In post 40, Cho wrote:Lastly, why should we assume that this game is or isn't multiball?
Assume non-multiball until proven multiball is my mantra regarding this.
Your top scum suspect suddenly demands to know why you think the game is or isn't multiball, when neither you nor anyone else has mentioned multiball previously.

You don't call them on this at all, and instead act as though you
did
in fact say something about multiball which needed clarified.

Please explain the thought process behind that for me.
In post 232, T S O wrote:Pretty sure confirmation bias is something to do reading your scum role PM and thus knowing others are Town.

I could be wrong here.
This makes no sense. You've been calling Cho scum all game. You should not have read
"certain people are determined to use every new post you make as a way to further their confirmation bias"
and assumed the accusation was that you know she's town. If you did interpret it that way, you should have responded by asking how she could possibly get that idea -
not
by saying "so you think I'm scum then??"

On the other hand, if you
are
scum and
do
secretly know Cho is town, and are tunneling her as a strategy and not reading her actual defenses in detail, it's not surprising that you misunderstood.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Post by T S O »

hiya Rubi, did we play in a Large together one time? You seem somewhat familiar.
In post 248, Rubicon wrote:
In post 49, T S O wrote:
In post 40, Cho wrote:Lastly, why should we assume that this game is or isn't multiball?
Assume non-multiball until proven multiball is my mantra regarding this.
Your top scum suspect suddenly demands to know why you think the game is or isn't multiball, when neither you nor anyone else has mentioned multiball previously.

You don't call them on this at all, and instead act as though you
did
in fact say something about multiball which needed clarified.

Please explain the thought process behind that for me.
I don't know, really. I just didn't want to get into a discussion about multiball because I felt it could give her things to talk about which weren't related to the Unlynchables. So I cut the discussion off before it could give her the chance to move onto it and away from her own scumminess.

I thought about it a while later and concluded I probably should say something about it, but when I did, tool had already commented on it, so I felt no need anymore.
In post 248, Rubicon wrote:
In post 232, T S O wrote:Pretty sure confirmation bias is something to do reading your scum role PM and thus knowing others are Town.

I could be wrong here.
This makes no sense. You've been calling Cho scum all game. You should not have read
"certain people are determined to use every new post you make as a way to further their confirmation bias"
and assumed the accusation was that you know she's town.
It took me a while to mentally get exactly what you're saying here, but when I did, I came to the same conclusion as before. I don't see what's wrong with my thought process here.

TSO's brain: "Confirmation bias = Scum"
Cho: TSO has confirmation bias.
TSO: Didn't you say you weren't calling me scum?

is a paraphrased version of events, as far as I can see.
In post 248, Rubicon wrote:If you did interpret it that way, you should have responded by asking how she could possibly get that idea -
not
by saying "so you think I'm scum then??"
But, if I interpreted confirmation bias as her calling me scum, and she said I had confirmation bias ...then she would be calling me scum, so my reaction makes sense?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”