Newbie 1561: Puppies! (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1561: Puppies! (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:48 am

Post by toolenduso »

Newbie 1561

Moderator: toolenduso
Backup moderator: Bert

Player List:
1. Epic Warrior**
2. Hostile Intent
choof

3. Drixx
paulw556

4. ++--*
5. copper223
6. singersigner (SE)
7. mallowgeno* (SE)
8. Boonskiies (SE)
JasonWazza

9. Cabd** (IC)

* = one prod

Spoiler: Alive
3. Drixx,
Mafia Goon

4. ++--,
Mafia Goon
[/spoiler]

Spoiler: Dead
7. mallowgeno,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day 1
9. Cabd,
Town Cop
, killed Night 1
1. Epic Warrior,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day 2
5. copper223,
Vanilla Townie
, killed Night 2
8. Boonskiies,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day 3
2. Hostile Intent,
Vanilla Townie
, endgamed Day 3
6. singersigner,
Vanilla Townie
Last edited by toolenduso on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:56 am, edited 24 times in total.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:53 am

Post by toolenduso »

General rules

(Stolen from N and modified)

1. Follow the Forum Rules and Guidelines. If you’re unsure whether something you’re going to do will break a rule, ask me before you do it.
2. The only places outside of this thread you are permitted to talk about this game are in mod-provided private topics. Otherwise,
[/b]
do not talk about this game outside of the thread while the game is ongoing, even if you are dead.
[/b]

3. Don’t quote private mod communication – this includes, but is not limited to, role PMs, night actions and anything posted in a QuickTopic. You can paraphrase these things, but don’t quote them.
4. Play to your win condition (play to win.)
5. If someone is modkilled, their alignment may be changed to “neutral survivor” and there will be no chance of them winning the game, even if their original faction wins.
6. I reserve the right to change the rules at any time, including while the game is ongoing, although there will be a warning in-thread if this happens.
7. Personal remarks and insults are not welcome. There is no problem with criticizing how others play in this game, but as soon as it goes beyond that line there will be one warning before I force-replace you.
8. Do not try to "break the game." This includes the use of ciphered/encrypted text.

Activity rules

1. If a player does not post in the game thread for more than 48 hours, they will be prodded. After this prod, they are given a 24-hour grace period to make a post before I start searching for their replacement.
2. If a player receives three or more prods, I reserve the right to search for their replacement at my discretion.
3. Please post V/LA (Vacation/Limited Access) notices in-thread at least 24 hours in advance of them starting.
4. Game days will be at most 2 weeks long, unless a replacement is required within the last 48 hours of a game day.
5. Game nights will last 48 hours.

Voting rules

1. When making votes, use the vote or bold tags. Votes not made using either of these will not be recorded.
2. When voting, please put your vote at the beginning of a new line. While there is no penalty for not doing so, you put yourself at peril of the mod missing your vote when you don’t.
3. Unvoting before voting again is not mandatory.
4. If one player receives a simple majority of the votes, they are that day’s lynch and any further voting/unvoting won’t count.
5. After a lynch has been made, all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post until I lock the thread. This is the “twilight” phase.
6. If a majority of votes is not reached by deadline, there will be no lynch for that day.
7. Anybody can vote not to lynch by saying VOTE: No Lynch.
8. Dead players can make one “bah” post after their death. This may not contain any information relevant to the game. Once the mod has declared the game over, anybody can start posting in the thread again.

Setup

-All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects. Roleblocker actions will take precedence over Jailkeeper actions should that apply.
-This is game follows the Matrix6 Newbie Setup. That means the setup is based on either one row or one column within this matrix:

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

After determining the row or column, the remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. For example Row 1 (1 jailkeeper, 1 vanilla townie, 1 mafia goon) would add an additional 5 vanilla townies and 1 mafia goon, for a total setup of 1 jailkeeper, 6 vanilla townies, and 2 mafia goons.

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie
[/b].

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.[/area]
Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.
[/spoiler]
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:57 am

Post by toolenduso »

Role PMs going out soon. Game will start when 7/9 have confirmed. Confirmed players are in bold:

1. Epic Warrior
2. choof
3. paulw556
4. ++--
5. copper223
6. singersigner
7. mallowgeno
8. JasonWazza
9. Cabd
Last edited by toolenduso on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Just wanted to clarify that the scum and dead threads will be in QuickTopics, not private topics. While I like PTs, there was a bit of a mix-up at the beginning of the game as to which one to use and we're going with QTs.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:39 am

Post by toolenduso »

Day 1 begins!

Vote Count 1.1Epic Warrior (0):
choof (0):
paulw556 (0):
++-- (0):
copper223 (0):
singersigner (0):
mallowgeno (0):
JasonWazza (0):
Cabd (0):

Not voting (9): Epic Warrior, choof, paulw556, ++--, copper223, singersigner, mallowgeno, JasonWazza, Cabd

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Deadline: December 24, 7:40 a.m. Pacific Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2014-12-24 07:40:00)
copper223
copper223
Jack of All Trades
copper223
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:54 am

Post by copper223 »

Yo guys, let's have a fun game!

VOTE: Epic Warrior
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:00 am

Post by singersigner »

vote: mallowgeno

You probably don't really know/remember me, but you were in quadz's first game on site, and I remember you from watching his game. Crazy!
Glork and quadz08 are my favorite.

I like tomatoes.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:10 am

Post by mallowgeno »

Vote Singersigner
for lying, of course I remember you :)
++--
++--
Goon
++--
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:19 am

Post by ++-- »

VOTE: Cabd for also having a 4-character name.
paulw556
paulw556
Goon
paulw556
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:25 am

Post by paulw556 »

Vote: Copper223

For commenting first :p
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:05 am

Post by Cabd »

Good afternoon, everyone!

IC posts coming up.

As a disclaimer: As per the IC rules, I cannot and will not lie to you about any game theory questions you may have, regardless of my alignment. If you at any time have doubts about my answers feel free to have one of your SE players chime in to confirm.

As a secondary disclaimer, if I rolled scum, this does not stop me from slitting your throats in a different way!
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:19 am

Post by Cabd »

Hello! I am the IC (Inexperience-challenged) player in this game. That means in addition to playing as a player, I am also the teacher of sorts for this game. Regardless of my alignment, I am governed by the rules set forth for IC players. This means I
WILL NOT
lie to you about game theory, proper practices, and the like. If you have any sort of question about what a term means, what the acceptable plays are for a certain scenario, etc, I will answer it truthfully to the best of my abilities. I will cover some basic stuff in the next few sections. Click "show" to reveal the sections that you are interested in.

Spoiler: Starting the Game
The game usually starts in what is known as "RVS" which stands for "Random Voting Stage." In this phase of the game, players often cast votes for silly or little to no reason to get the game started. The game will progress out of RVS naturally within a page (1 page = 25 posts) or two.

Please note that it is ALWAYS better to lynch on day one than no lynch. This means that there will be one of us sent to the gallows within the next 14 days.

I will use that nice blue color whenever my post is meant as an IC post and not as a player playing this game post. If it's in my blue, it's factual theory stuff, not game play content. If you have any questions regarding setup or game theory, bold them for me so I know they're meant for me, please.

Spoiler: How to Play
During the day, it is your job to vote for the player you wish to be lynched. Use vote tags like so:

Code: Select all

[vote]Cabd[/vote]

Code: Select all

[unvote]Cabd[/unvote]

You can unvote and revote as often as you'd like, your vote isn't "stuck" or anything of the sort.

Try to make a post at least once every real life day. The game is a lot more fun and solvable when everyone is contributing.

Do
~NOT~
claim your role unless you are at what is known as "L-1". This means that there are enough votes minus one before you are lynched. There are several reasons for this, and I can go into more detail if anyone is curious.

Of note, you win with your faction even if you are dead. This means that if you are a role that has no special powers, your death over a power role might even help you win. This is why I advise always playing to the best of your ability.

Spoiler: Some Terms and Abbreviations
Here's a quick non-perfect list of terms you may seen thrown around:

IC: Inexperience-Challenged player (that's me!)
SE: Semi-experienced challenged player
Scum: General term for non-town alignments, in the case of this game, the mafia players
Maf: Mafia
L-# : The number of votes before a player is lynched. (Example, "Cabd is at L-4" means I am 4 votes away from death)
LYLO: Lynch (correctly) or lose. This means that if a lynch on town occurs, the mafia immediately wins
MYLO: Lynch (correctly or nolynch) or lose. This means a no lynch is allowable to drop numbers before LYLO.
BP: Bulletproof, a role that can get shot by the mafia once and not die
Doc: Doctor, a role that can attempt to protect people from nightkills
JK: Jailkeeper, a role that both protects and blocks its target.
Scummy: An adjective for any action (or player) more likely to come from or be mafia than town
Meta: A player's past style of playing from completed games as a given role as compared to their current play.
PR: Power Role, any role that is not vanilla town or mafia goon.
BoP: Burden of Proficiency, is the flawed arguement that older players should be the best player in any given game.
OMGUS (Oh my god you suck) is where a player essentially votes a player for voting them first.
NK: Night Kill. The mafia's kill they get to use once a night.
PT: Private Topic: The hidden secret forum where the mafia may talk at night and pregame.
Crumb: A hidden message that can be revealed as needed or will be found after your death hinting on what you do with a power role, or that you are that role.
Claim: An outright claim of your role. Please note you may NOT post your role PM, paraphrase.
CC: Counter Claim. This means that your role means that the player's claimed role cannot exist, making them liar mafia. Mafia can also do this to a town claim to force a 1 for 1 trade, so be careful and think everything through.
Hammer: The vote that brings somebody from L-1 to lynched. Never hammer without a claim!

Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:20 am

Post by Cabd »

VOTE: Jasonwazza

Last to confirm, therefore most likely, in a blind sense, to be scum.
Show

copper223
copper223
Jack of All Trades
copper223
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:57 am

Post by copper223 »

@Cabd
Do you have meta of yourself as an IC in a newbie game?

I scrolled back to 14xx and only found you replacing in or modding, I was checking to see if it is usual for you to say the game should start with a RVS but then skip it by giving what some may consider a scumtell as a reason for voting, which means the vote is not random.

Also an example of you using the same reason to start your RVS would be fine if you have it, regardless of the game.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:20 am

Post by singersigner »

O_o

Wow, I think that may be the quickest a Newbie Game has ever gotten to a nitty gritty discussion point edging out of RVS.

Also, he said the game "usually" starts with RVS, not that it
should

It's also a terrible vote. You should at least explain
why
it makes him more likely to be scum. ;)
Though it should be known that this point is mute because if he didn't officially confirm because he was talking in his PT, as a mod I'd consider that a form of confirming nowadays, as a way to sidestep that kind of "confirmation" issue. Just saying.

Regardless, strong start by copper. A little aggressive but not overtly so. Asking the right questions, even if it seems as though he's trying to trap Cabd since that's pretty specific meta.
Glork and quadz08 are my favorite.

I like tomatoes.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:36 am

Post by mallowgeno »

In post 8, ++-- wrote:VOTE: Cabd for also having a 4-character name.

This is going to be interesting...I'm gonna call you plusle

copper223
copper223
Jack of All Trades
copper223
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:37 am

Post by copper223 »

@Singersinger
he said the game "usually" starts with RVS, not that it should.

Fair enough, this distinction may or may not be meaningful depending on how Cabd replies.
++--
++--
Goon
++--
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:42 am

Post by ++-- »

In post 16, copper223 wrote:@Singersinger
he said the game "usually" starts with RVS, not that it should.

Fair enough, this distinction may or may not be meaningful depending on how Cabd replies.

The bigger question, in my opinion, however, is that whether this was a poorly phrased random vote, or, what I find less likely, something that, according to Cabd, should have some sort of a meaning. My guess would be that this was an entirely random vote, with poor "reasoning" as "last to confirm" seems too weak for me, especially from an IC.
copper223
copper223
Jack of All Trades
copper223
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 am

Post by copper223 »

@++--
The best way to find out is ask him directly and speculate later, if we want to.
paulw556
paulw556
Goon
paulw556
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:49 am

Post by paulw556 »

I wouldn't say "last to confirm" was particularly weak but more the "easy option" for a random vote!!
++--
++--
Goon
++--
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:52 am

Post by ++-- »

I don't really see how that, if, indeed was a random vote, is any different from basically any other random vote. But, so far, this is only a speculation without Cabd's answer, just as copper223 said.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 am

Post by Cabd »

To the first, I've been an IC twice before. I'll find the games later, as evidenced by the cake icon next to my name, today's (as in IRL day) not gonna contain much solid "meat" to it.

As for the second, I can dig meta up on that later, but I will say that as far as vote reasons go on page one, "last to confirm" is fun. Oh and also, singer, he said they're using QTs not PTs.
Show

copper223
copper223
Jack of All Trades
copper223
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:57 am

Post by copper223 »

@Paul
I wouldn't say "last to confirm" was particularly weak but more the "easy option" for a random vote!!

Why do you consider that option in particular, assuming he chose it as a method to randomize and not because he believes it may be a scumtell, to be "the easy option"? For instance I picked the first name on the list.

@++--
I don't really see how that, if, indeed was a random vote, is any different from basically any other random vote. But, so far, this is only a speculation without Cabd's answer, just as copper223 said.

Because Cabd said so himself:
Last to confirm, therefore
most likely
, in a blind sense,
to be scum.

@Cabd
Have fun then!
++--
++--
Goon
++--
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 am

Post by ++-- »

Whatever, apparently, I keep overthinking stuff, because I considered the case if it was an entirely random vote with badly phrased reasoning. I think I shouldn't go so far ahead while trying to get the "meaning" of a vote in RVS.
paulw556
paulw556
Goon
paulw556
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:04 am

Post by paulw556 »

In post 22, copper223 wrote:Why do you consider that option in particular, assuming he chose it as a method to randomize and not because he believes it may be a scumtell, to be "the easy option"? For instance I picked the first name on the list.

To be honest I was just saying what I think, Personally my vote was also an "easy option" by voting you for being the first to comment in the game. But I suppose that is what the RVS is for.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”