Newbie 1920: North America [Endgame]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Newbie 1920: North America [Endgame]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Newbie 1920 :
North America

CURRENT STATUS:
Game over!

PHASE DEADLINE:
N/A

PLAYERLIST:

1. chennisden
  2. Skellen
  3. u r a person 2 replaced Sekaedy **
  4. scum reading replaced Robb Stark replaced ajmeri1232
  5. Zeito *
  6. TheASC
  7. GrandWazoo (SE)
  8. Persivul (SE) *
  9. teacher (SE)
Asterisks (*) indicate a prod. Subscript indicates replacement.

ALIVE :

Spoiler: (2/9)
Skellen,
Mafia Goon
, survived and won
Persivul,
Vanilla Townie
, endgamed

DEAD :

Spoiler: (7/9)
GrandWazoo,
Town Jailkeeper
, lynched Day 1
teacher,
Vanilla Townie
, killed Night 1
TheASC,
Mafia Goon
, lynched Day 2
u r a person 2,
Vanilla Townie
, killed Night 2
Zeito,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day 3
chennisden,
Vanilla Townie
, killed Night 3
scum reading,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day 4

EVENTS :

Last edited by northsidegal on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:41 am, edited 18 times in total.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by northsidegal »

GAME RULES

GENERAL
  1. Adhere to all site rules.
  2. Always play to win.
  3. Remember that this is a game - heated discussion is allowed, but personal attacks are not. Comment on play, not player.
  4. Pretending to break the rules will be treated similarly as actually breaking the rules.
  5. Do not quote any private communication regarding this game—this includes your role PM, other mod communication, posts from private threads, etc. Paraphrasing is acceptable. If you're unsure, ask me first.
  6. If you need to get my attention, please include "
    @mod
    " in your post or PM me.
  7. This
    (#ff8c15) is my color. You can use it, if you want, but please don't try to impersonate me.
  8. Do not use encryption, hidden text or excessively small text in your posts.
  9. Do not use any form of provable randomness. This includes dice tags, screenshots of random.org, etc. Saying you flipped a coin is okay, providing some sort of proof that you did isn’t.
  10. Day 1 will last for 10 days, with all further days lasting for 7 days. Any day will end when a majority is reached.
  11. Do not post in the game thread or any private topics following your death, with the exception of the dead thread.
  12. If you have the ability to edit your posts, do not do so.
  13. My decisions are final. If I feel you are violating any of the rules, I will take the appropriate action.
  14. Have fun!
VOTING
  1. All votes and unvotes must be in
    bold
    or in VOTE: tags, with vote tags being preferable.
  2. Votes in spoilers will not be counted.
  3. Abbreviations and nicknames are acceptable, as long as I can understand them.
  4. Lynches will occur when a majority (>50%) is reached. If no majority is reached before deadline, the day will end in a no-lynch.
  5. Voting to end the day in a no-lynch requires only 50% of players rather than >50%.
  6. Once a hammer has occurred, the game is in "twilight". Discussion may continue until I lock the thread but no further votes or unvotes will be counted.
ACTIVITY
  1. You are expected to make at least one game-relevant post every 36 hours. Players who go 36 hours without posting will be prodded.
  2. If you are prodded, you have 24 hours to post in-thread. If you do not respond within 24 hours, you will be replaced. Additionally, if I have to prod you 3 or more times, I reserve the right to replace you at my own discretion.
  3. If you are going to be V/LA (Vacation / Limited Access), please bold it in thread or PM me.
ADVICE:

Spoiler: Introductory Mod Post
Introduction and Tips
Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, L-x, and Hammers

L-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from a lynch. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at L-1 (1 vote away from a lynch) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that players lynch. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to lynch (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see L-2 and L-3 (2 votes away from a lynch and 3 votes away from a lynch, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being lynched, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at L-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting lynched, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counter claiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get lynched for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

LyLo

LyLo is the shortened representation of “lynch or lose.” LyLo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to lynch (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Remember: this is a game. Enjoy it! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by northsidegal on Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:06 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Setup Information

2d3 (as designed by Cabd):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Neapolitan
Town Cop and Town Tracker
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Doctor
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Neapolitan and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Doctor

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goons
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia have access to their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Neapolitan, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Neapolitan, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Doctor, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town NeapolitanWelcome!

You are a
Town Neapolitan

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Vanilla Townie
or
Not Vanilla Townie
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is
PLAYERNAME
who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker/Rolecop
. Together you share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Your partner is
PLAYERNAME
who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker
. Together you share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

Your partner is
PLAYERNAME
who is a
Mafia Goon/Rolecop
. Together you share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Role PMs have gone out, and the game will begin when 7/9 players have confirmed.

Current: 7/7
Last edited by northsidegal on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Post by northsidegal »

With 7 confirmations, Day 1 begins.

VC 1.00

votes
[9] Not Voting
:
chennisden, Skellen, Sekaedy, ajmeri1232, Zeito, TheASC, GrandWazoo, Persivul, teacher

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

The Day 1 deadline is in
: (expired on 2019-03-12 17:37:59)

Mod Notes
: I always like to provide pictures along with votecounts. This game, I'll be finding pictures of North American landscapes and fauna. I hope you enjoy!

things fall apart
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:45 pm

Post by Persivul »

Here.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:06 pm

Post by teacher »

VOTE: persivul. Only scum show up that fast.
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Post by GrandWazoo »

VOTE: chennisden

First on the list can't be town
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Post by teacher »

So this is my first non-IC newbie game. Welcome everyone, and skellen especially from our history. I had a custom of posing some introductory questions to get the game started:

1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Post by teacher »

My own answers are below, with the caveat that my real life sucks right now so Im not going to be as effortful as I have been othertimes:

1. RL years ago; appr 14 forum games in the last year.
2. I effort obv!town (but have a lot less time during the school year)
3. I effort obv!town (see above).
4. Motivations, probabilities, and associations. For each post, I try to ascertain the motive behind it. Does it seem town-motivated or scum-motivated. To be sure, both town and scum have similar objectives, but they arent overlapping. Town is not as afraid of being lynched, because there will be a mislynch at some point; scum knows that their death is 50% of a loss. Town wants to out real analysis to advance the game; scum wants to repeat information that everybody knows so they can appear to be helping without actually doing it. Another key area of difference is in probabilities. Here, I cant say it much better than a strategy article from the Wiki (link). I'll speak more on associations tomorrow if Im still kicking.
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Post by GrandWazoo »

1. Played a lot on another site before RL and burnout prompted a sabbatical.
2 Aggressive, impatient, occasionally obnoxious in probing for reads
3. Pretending to do all of the above.
4. For town, active scumhunting (even if it's objectively silly or wrongheaded). For scum, inconsistency/hypocrisy, information without analysis and postcount-padding, too-obvious attempts at buddying or bussing.
TheASC
TheASC
Goon
TheASC
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:46 pm

Post by TheASC »

Hello, everyone. This is my first game on here, so I'm hoping for something good :)

While I'm here, might as well answer teacher's questions. They seem a good way for us to get to know each other.
1. Over the last couple of months, I've hosted and played quite frequently in real life and in chat rooms.
2. Usually, slowly. I have a tendency to overthink things and am not keen to rush into things unless absolutely necessary.
3. Mostly the same as 2, but with the lowered tension that comes from having someone to fall back on/ditch at the last second.
4. The strongest townreads I get from people are usually from people actively trying to forward the game and generally help out, although I often struggle with telling the difference between town doing it to advance their win con and scum doing it to look towny.

Teacher, you mentioned history with Skellen. Anything worth mentioning from past experience with them?

Oh, and hello to Zeito, who is following me from one of the chat rooms I mentioned earlier. Nice to see you here.
No Setup:
Here are numerous abilities allowing you to deduce the numerous mafia members hidden among you and protect others.

TheASC:
hehe love <3
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:40 am

Post by chennisden »

1. A newbie game and a Micro with 3 people that lasted around an hour, everything else is ongoing.
2. I push people hard early on and am not afraid to move my vote around.
3. My scum game was similar to above, I am still developing it.
4. Lurking
Zeito
Zeito
Townie
Zeito
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am

Post by Zeito »

In post 6, teacher wrote:VOTE: persivul. Only scum show up that fast.
Yo o/ This is also my first game on forums, so I'm not really used to having to post proper responses rather than hitting enter after typing three words, but hopefully it still turns out well :P

I like the questions, it seems nice to have some substance on day 1 other than just rvs.
1. I've been mainly playing a lot of short-deadline games in a chatroom (usually about 7 minutes, allowing actual read games rather than just info games), but have played a few longer-deadline games in other places, just not on forums.
2. An actual chance to pmeta myself :P I cant say how this will change on a chatroom, but I play aggressively, without being scared to joke around here and there.
3. In my better games, I act similarly to how I would in #2. In worse games, like when I play as solo scum, I'm too nervous to replicate the level of activity I get in 2.
4. I tend to rely on the scumtells I've built up from my small amount of experience, including scumhunting, townleading, etc, and (after a scum flip) how players interact. Looking at the motivations behind their lynches and kills is also a fairly strong way to figure out where exactly people want to place themselves.

I'll be placing my vote on VOTE: Skellen to start with (I think that's how you do vote tags...?)
Zeito
Zeito
Townie
Zeito
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:18 am

Post by Zeito »

I didn't mean to quote teacher, I was just trying to see if I could figure out how to do vote tags ^^;
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:40 am

Post by teacher »

So with two full bewbs, feel free to ask anything. It looks like you’ve already figured out how to snip quotes out of longer posts and how to vote. I will recommend you read the spoiled “advice” or “mod post” in post

This low amount of activity at the start is unusual, but weekends tend to be slower than in the week.
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:21 am

Post by Skellen »

teacher! That's my first time playing with a familiar face again. What happened to the IC thing?

Also VOTE: TheASC
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:25 am

Post by Skellen »

In post 8, teacher wrote:So this is my first non-IC newbie game. Welcome everyone, and skellen especially from our history. I had a custom of posing some introductory questions to get the game started:

1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
Mostly shameless copy & paste from last game:

1. Played only offline games, have now played two newbie games here which were both quite opposite experiences.
2. Eh, I just play. I like figuring things out and as town you have nothing to lose so no point in holding back, thus I like this more. I try to gather as many informations as I can and see where it leads to.
3. Never rolled scum, so no idea. Offline I am terrible as I am no good at lying and can't even keep a poker face for ten seconds. People say I tend to be more passive and unmotivated which probably fits given the lack on necessity to figure things out.
4. I look for consistencies and inconsistencies, at one point scum is bound to make mistakes if they get engaged enough. Normally. Of course looking for obvious scumtells like rolefishing etc. With each played game here always adding up some other points to look out for. What gives town away to me depends on how comprehensible their play is to me and if I can see where their thoughts are coming from, even if I should disagree with some thoughts.
TheASC
TheASC
Goon
TheASC
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 am

Post by TheASC »

Just noticed most of you have done an RVS vote and I feel like I probably should too.

VOTE: Sekaedy
No Setup:
Here are numerous abilities allowing you to deduce the numerous mafia members hidden among you and protect others.

TheASC:
hehe love <3
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 16, Skellen wrote:What happened to the IC thing?
Ours was actually the last game with it. I think some combination of low numbers desiring to serve as an IC and it being 78% of the time a town leader and lightening rod (newb!town would sheep, newb!docs would protect, and newb!scum would kill) led to the consensus being to ditch the formal IC and have three SEs. I still intend to the ICish asides, but feel less obligation to drive a game than I did before, which is good because Im doing two games and busy with work atm.
In post 11, TheASC wrote:Teacher, you mentioned history with Skellen. Anything worth mentioning from past experience with them?

Oh, and hello to Zeito, who is following me from one of the chat rooms I mentioned earlier. Nice to see you here
1. Out of curiousity, what chatroom? I found my way here from a different site focused on a different game, so figured I should ask especially with two of you.

2. On Skellen, her self-meta is pretty accurate. She was the most WIM of her second newb-game, driving conversation and with good thoughts and pushes. I mindmelded on like 80%, and disagreed with 20 but could see where she was coming from. I will be impressed if she can scum like that, but would give her a day 1 pass pretty much no matter what.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 18, TheASC wrote:Just noticed most of you have done an RVS vote and I feel like I probably should too.

this degree of lampshadeyness about an RVS, and then selecting a nonappearing player, seemed a bit forced. Why not make a joke? Why not pick a poster? How did you pick Sekaedy of the rest of the list?
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Post by chennisden »

for the lulz

VOTE: No Lynch
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Post by chennisden »

In post 18, TheASC wrote:Just noticed most of you have done an RVS vote and I feel like I probably should too.

this feels scummy but like id rather jokevote for now
TheASC
TheASC
Goon
TheASC
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:54 pm

Post by TheASC »

In post 19, teacher wrote:
In post 11, TheASC wrote:Oh, and hello to Zeito, who is following me from one of the chat rooms I mentioned earlier. Nice to see you here
1. Out of curiousity, what chatroom? I found my way here from a different site focused on a different game, so figured I should ask especially with two of you.
Pokémon Showdown's mafia room. There's a surprising amount of non-Pokémon content on there, one of which being a reasonably popular mafia room.
In post 20, teacher wrote:

this degree of lampshadeyness about an RVS, and then selecting a nonappearing player, seemed a bit forced. Why not make a joke? Why not pick a poster? How did you pick Sekaedy of the rest of the list?
From what I can tell, RVS votes are intended to generate discussion early on, so I thought the best way to do that would be to vote for someone that had (at that point) neither posted nor been voted by anyone else. Sekaedy was essentially random from the two people that fit that criteria (him and ajmeri1232).

I'd say it worked though - the vote definitely generated discussion.

In regards to not making a joke, I wasn't aware that was a requirement. At a quick glance, it looks like almost half of the other votes here (Zeito's and Skellen's) are just votes added onto the end of their posts with no explanation.
No Setup:

TheASC:
hehe love <3
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Post by Skellen »

In post 12, chennisden wrote: 4. Lurking
Is this a thing of experience from your games here? I kind of learned that lurking looks rather NAI to me or like a double-edged sword considering that alone in my last game at least a third of the player line-up were for a good part of the game town lurkers. Although it might depend on
how
they are lurking.
In post 22, chennisden wrote: this feels scummy but like id rather jokevote for now
I agree that his post with the vote looks scummy as if he just threw it in after realizing everyone else is doing it to meld with the others. However when this feels scummy to you, why beating around the bush and not going straight for the second vote on him instead of a jokevote? Especially if you say yourself that you like to go for early pushes and the game has a slow start.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”