Verbally abusing your fellow mafia player is not okay

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 146, Vi wrote:"fuck you" ... "with a toilet scrubber" ... I would actually mean I want you to shove a foreign object into one of your orifices so hard that it punches your kidney, with the implication that if you're having trouble doing so I would be standing by to help.
Thanks, I'm going to use this sometime.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Post by Katsuki »

In post 149, Nero Cain wrote:not really interested in reading everything in this thread but there is a huge difference between going out of your way to insult a player for no reason and getting in an argument and trading jabs.

Abusive players should be site punished me thinks.
Yes please ban Nero he is always abusive to me!

Also fuck you with a V!
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Maybe I see it as different settings.

I see MS as basically playing a game with people in your office. Not all high up bosses or anything, but mostly people who are within five years of you either way. Making some "really you did that?" type comments are fine, as well as some mild joking/swearing over certain moves is acceptable. Going off on someone with a profanity laced tirade because things aren't going your way isn't

I think we all just have different levels. People who have a high tolerance for abuse and like to be abusive just need to be respectful of players who would prefer not to be involved in that type of a game. Especially when you have people like me that already try to go out of their way to avoid playing in games with certain people, showing a little bit of push back just seems the right thing to do.

Again going back to the whole "Things used to be better" part... its interesting that those who are arguing for more restraint and respect are older players. Those who don't are newer.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Post by Majiffy »

I'm curious where you draw this age line, because on the last page I see 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011 all basically arguing against the "swearing is omgzsuperbad!" position.

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 153, Majiffy wrote:I'm curious where you draw this age line, because on the last page I see 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011 all basically arguing against the "swearing is omgzsuperbad!" position.
Look at those arguing for. Most are 2008 or earlier.
Co-host of The USL Show
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Post by Majiffy »

So what you're really saying is there's a vocal minority from pre-2008 that get butthurt over cusswords and the fact that those post-2008 have been exposed to / desensitized to so-called "abusive behavior", you feel the need to falsely insinuate that things were better pre-2008?

Because that's what's going on, just so you know.

||
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 155, Majiffy wrote:So what you're really saying is there's a vocal minority from pre-2008 that get butthurt over cusswords and the fact that those post-2008 have been exposed to / desensitized to so-called "abusive behavior", you feel the need to falsely insinuate that things were better pre-2008?

Because that's what's going on, just so you know.
Not insinuating anything. I am outright saying I have enjoyed playing games less and less over time due to players having less respect for each other and mods being less willing to act when players complain about it. Side note if a mod isn't going to do anything, they actually need to say something. I have seen a mod continually "just warn" a player when I brought things up.

What I am asking is for when players in games say to tone it down, for people to actually do it. If you want a respectful game, you should actually be able to find one, even if it takes some selective choices of who you play with. I already have a decent sized list of players who I would immediately replace out of a game if they joined and outright refuse to play with.
Co-host of The USL Show
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Kuribo, Fate, and I are hosting an online stress relief class, everyone feel free to sign up.

Activities are going to include:

-talking about our feeling
-talking about things we do that make us happy
-identifying stress factors in our lives
-focus on better communication
-tunneling on scumfucks burn in hell die
-yoga
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

llama wrote:What I am asking is for when players in games say to tone it down, for people to actually do it.
I do this. If I'm told to stop, I stop. But I don't enter into games thinking much about the words I say, and I try not to act like a dick to anyone who I don't think is playing like a dick. IF I do something that could be construed as ruining the enjoyment of the game for someone else, it is in retaliation to them ruining my enjoyment of the game prior to that. And while an eye for an eye isn't the most mature way of dealing with things, it's more of a, "if you don't get on my bad side, I will not get on yours," thing.
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 153, Majiffy wrote:I'm curious where you draw this age line, because on the last page I see 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011 all basically arguing against the "swearing is omgzsuperbad!" position.

AHEM
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 156, LlamaFluff wrote:What I am asking is for when players in games say to tone it down, for people to actually do it.
I've been asked to tone it down a few times, and I comply

In post 157, AngryPidgeon wrote:Kuribo, Fate, and I are hosting an online stress relief class, everyone feel free to sign up.

Activities are going to include:

-talking about our feeling
-talking about things we do that make us happy
-identifying stress factors in our lives
-focus on better communication
-tunneling on scumfucks burn in hell die
-yoga
I TRIED THAT

it was called the Serene hydra

and it kinda worked for Fate.

DGB and i are still in therapy :(

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Post by Majiffy »

ITT:

Damn Kids
Rap Music
Baggy Pants

||
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 161, Majiffy wrote:ITT:

Damn Kids
Rap Music
Baggy Pants

1) i seriously don't understand music these days. dubstep? that stuff sounds like crap, back in my day we had good bands like Nirvana and the Wu Tang Clan

2) back when i was a homeowner a few years ago, i actually told some punk kids to get off my lawn and stop stealing my crabapples

3) i'm only 33 :(

Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Sucks gettin old huh

||
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 151, Katsuki wrote:Yes please ban Nero he is always abusive to me!
shooting you night 0 'cause I really don't want to deal with your play isn't being abusive me thinks.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Post by farside22 »

Admittedly I have said shitty things to people and there was a point I was so stressed I said things that were wrong. I took time away toned down a lot of the comments . I agree there are lines that should not be crossed.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Post by Katsuki »

In post 152, LlamaFluff wrote:Maybe I see it as different settings.

I see MS as basically playing a game with people in your office. Not all high up bosses or anything, but mostly people who are within five years of you either way. Making some "really you did that?" type comments are fine, as well as some mild joking/swearing over certain moves is acceptable. Going off on someone with a profanity laced tirade because things aren't going your way isn't

I think we all just have different levels. People who have a high tolerance for abuse and like to be abusive just need to be respectful of players who would prefer not to be involved in that type of a game. Especially when you have people like me that already try to go out of their way to avoid playing in games with certain people, showing a little bit of push back just seems the right thing to do.

Again going back to the whole "Things used to be better" part... its interesting that those who are arguing for more restraint and respect are older players. Those who don't are newer.
The people in my office would totally be calling each other scumfucks and all sorts of FUCK YOU.

I guess I've been playing right all this time then.

Somehow I feel I'm one of the few who laughs when I call someone a scumfuck, and others laugh too when they're accusing you of being a scumfuck (CES and Fate come to mind when pointing, screaming and laughing as they yell out YOU FUCKING CHEEKY SCUMFUCK (CES less loud)).
WELP
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

hi guyz!

whats going on

this is an interesting discussion about temperate control.

words only have the power that you give them.

can we all agree on this mebbe?

I personally prefer a "fuck you" in a game than "I am never going to play with you again and I am going to show this by replacing out in games with you in it".

the latter is a "fuck you" on an epic site wide scale and the former is simply a "fuck you" which can happen in a game.

the difference lies in the consequences that follow; 1 results in a global stigmatization and the other can happen in a game.

1 allows a person to change and grow from the feedback they are given and the other is just exclusionary.

in/be4 ridicule on that last statement.

cos it seems like some people are just wanting nicer games. <---- they need to be heard.

the hypocrisy is pretty apparent in the actions that follow. some people are hypocrites mebbe?

if some1 says, "no nasty language!" and peeps ignore this then they are crossing the line.

I did this until I realized the age group and no, some people were not tone trolling but being sincere. <---- big lesson for me.

experience dictates responses <--- amirite?

eta: also if people read my posts in my voice they wouldn't get offended.

also my son is considered retarded cos he is autistic and has expressive/language disorder. brilliant in math (not word problems but science is yesssss) I am pretty freaking offended when people consider "retarded" as an insult cos it means "stunted growth" and I think most people are stunted in their thinking sometimes. to treat it as an insult is to indulge in exclusionary elitist behaviour IMO.

altho if you are called that enough times I can see where you would get genuinely offended! no1 likes their progress/efforts made to be ignored.
whew!
tosser
tosser
Goon
tosser
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Post by tosser »

i think verbal abuse is OK if it is not with malicious IRL intentions. :D
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 167, pirate mollie wrote:eta: also if people read my posts in my voice they wouldn't get offended.
Or, alternatively, like Louise from Bob's Burgers.

:wink:

||
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2014 12:58 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

In post 8, LlamaFluff wrote:How much people can get away with depends on the mod. Some mods allow it, some lock down hard on it. Telling the mod a player is breaking the "be courteous/respectful/etc" rule may be enough to possibly have them shut it down. I have had varying luck with those complaints to mods.

I actually found there is far less of it in game I have ran because I had a "Excessive all caps posting is grounds for immediate replacement" rule, which when advertised as a rule causes most of those players to just skip joining because the "anger" descends to that quickly.
Most mods don't do anything to stop it actually.

1. Personal insults are bad.
2. Cursing isn't
3. People who get offended by cursing really should get thicker skin cause cursing & anger/frustration usually go hand in hand.

I curse a lot, im sure I offended some people but I try not to be hurtful. Calling somebody a bad player isn't hurtful. Calling somebody a fucking retard who sucks at life and should go kill themselves on the other hand is a tad far.
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
tosser
tosser
Goon
tosser
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2014 4:33 am

Post by tosser »

personal insults are good and add an extra dimension to gameplay IMO (in my opinion).
tosser
tosser
Goon
tosser
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2014 4:36 am

Post by tosser »

i should really stick to posting in even numbered posts to prevent my avatar background from being visible.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2014 4:45 am

Post by Majiffy »

You should try making it a png with an actual transparent background because on other skins (I'm using dark, for example), it's visible anyway.

||
tosser
tosser
Goon
tosser
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2014 5:03 am

Post by tosser »

good thinking majiffy! if i could rep users on this forum i'd rep you without a fragment of doubt since you've saved me from the ignominy of solely posting even numbered posts. :)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”