Newbie 1838: Pirates vs Ninjas: GAME OVER!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (isolation #0) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:39 am

Post by smilefires »

Sup nerds

VOTE: acidphoenix
In post 7, Bellaphant wrote:VOTE: acid p

Why a naked vote?
He knows me. Only time will tell whether I eat another Night 1 kill from him though.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 13, mozamis wrote:
In post 11, smilefires wrote:He knows me. Only time will tell whether I eat another Night 1 kill from him though.
how many games have you played on this site?
Only one (Newbie 1824) before this one.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (isolation #2) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Post by smilefires »

In post 17, TheGoldenParadox wrote:Why all the random votes? We should at least have some sort of reason before we start lynching people.
On that happy note, VOTE: Blooper
:)
lol

They do call it the "random voting stage" for a reason.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:50 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 28, Blooper wrote:
In post 26, Nauci wrote:Hmm that's a good point.

I'm just glad acid changed avatars so I can stop continuously confusing their gender.

So, is this anyone's first game on the site?
:left:

Do you still prefer to not vote for a wagon?
Nauci is voting though?
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 am

Post by smilefires »

mozamis' strategy is fine. It's not like he'll never revisit those reads if he expects he's mis-clearing someone.

I suppose the bit that bugs me is that it's super easy to make a lynch order that way, or at least be "fine" with exactly the number of lynches that wins the game for scum. Fine place to start though; it can be easier to find town than scum.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (isolation #5) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:09 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 62, Nauci wrote:Alonzo, give us your reads on people and explain your reasoning, so we can determine if you're lazy scum or if you have legit town motivations.
Yeah this. Alonzo, most of your posts are self-centered.

To me it feels like you're on edge and trying to counter that with forced awkwardness and appeals to meta.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #71 (isolation #6) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:56 am

Post by smilefires »

Blooper, still wanna know where you were going with your question to Nauci about voting for a wagon in 28.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #105 (isolation #7) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 74, Blooper wrote:
In post 71, smilefires wrote:Blooper, still wanna know where you were going with your question to Nauci about voting for a wagon in 28.
Nauci mentioned in her second post that she doesn't want to vote a player due to RVS being too early for a wagon. Wilky mentions later on that a wagon in RVS can lead to a more serious game state. Nauci agrees that this is a good point. So I wanted to know what her opinion became of wagons in RVS.
I especially want to know now with her mentioning looking into what Bellaphant is going to post. It seems to hint that she didn't like one of Bellaphants first three posts.
Okay. Thought you were saying you were expecting Nauci to jump onto the forming wagon.
In post 77, wilky wrote:
In post 73, Nauci wrote:
In post 72, mozamis wrote:sorry been a bbad day, prod doge
how we doing lynching alonzo
Why the rush?

You've barely got 1 page of posts to catch up on there.

VOTE: mozamis

I personally wouldn't look too much into that post as it was a self proclaimed prod dodge
I personally
would
look into the part that isn't the prod dodge. It's still content.
In post 91, Alonzo wrote:Smilefires... Not sure of their style is intended or just trying to look busy
Confused by this. "Intended" seems to connote there's something you don't like either way.

Also, "observer's paradox" probably isn't as big of an effect as you think this early on. If you see Bella doing something you don't like, she really has no reason right now to change what she's doing. Sharing is fine.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #122 (isolation #8) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Post by smilefires »

In post 106, Alonzo wrote:@smile

elaborate on#68 so i can understand better
Most of your posts up to that point were about people discussing you, or voting you. (See: #48, #49, #51.)
In post 59, Alonzo wrote:
In post 58, mozamis wrote:yeah this is nervous, "jovial" scum.
Why would I be nervous as scum? Im amazing as scum!

Nauci on the otherhand knew im awkward as Heck Town when he asked about it....
This post is an appeal to meta, since it says that awkwardness should be a town tell from you, but I have no reason to take that as definitive.

I think your most awkward post is #29, because Nauci's question is basically loaded by design and you didn't seem to respond to it with ease. That's why I'm calling it forced awkwardness.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #123 (isolation #9) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Post by smilefires »

In post 109, Nauci wrote:I know town doesn't lie but apparently I lied and will actually post some of my thoughts now because insomnia.
R I P. I was stuck awake late last night but thought staring at a screen would just be worse for me since I already had a headache.
In post 109, Nauci wrote:Yes. See my earlier post. And apparently Acid also saw him get D1 lynched.
It's why I'm hesitant to bus him.
He's like dunkerdoodle; posts so scummy as town that he gets away with it because I'm tired of mislynching.
...bus?
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #124 (isolation #10) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Post by smilefires »

In post 111, wilky wrote:I may be wrong here but for a prod dodge to count doesn't it have to have some sort of game related content included. So just saying "prod dodge" wouldn't actually reset your post timer as such. That's why I wasn't looking too much into the post as I had seen it as a get-around as such of the prod rules. If that isn't the case then I would look into the post.
Yeah, what I mean is it's still content, so you can read it for the content. I realize now it has nothing to do with why you made your post, though.

I didn't like the "how we doing lynching alonzo", to the extent it denies like...basic people/gameplay respect. Treats him like he's dead already.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #125 (isolation #11) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Post by smilefires »

In post 121, TheGoldenParadox wrote:Okay. Scanning over the forums I can see the scum reads in Alonzo and Nauci- however, I don't have enough knowledge yet to throw myself into a wagon.
\
What are you thinking about though?

Do you mean you agree with those reads, or just see that they exist?
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #155 (isolation #12) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 am

Post by smilefires »

Wow, that blew up. Not hammering though.

Also, wanting to lynch Alonzo to figure out whether the word "bus" is a slip seems stretchy. It's basically impossible for Nauci's post to be "oops wrong thread" in a newbie game. I don't think it definitively links the two of them.

Some part of me likes that Nauci explained the terminology difference instead of trying to play it off like a joke. Like imagine if instead the reply was "Well obviously I'm lock scum"

That said, @Nauci, where'd you find the definition that readily?
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #157 (isolation #13) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:34 am

Post by smilefires »

Well, my thought is currently "it's not real".
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #164 (isolation #14) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:45 am

Post by smilefires »

@Alonzo

I elaborated on #68 as you asked, in #122.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #165 (isolation #15) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 162, Nauci wrote:I'm saying he's probably town because he's not doing the thing that would make sense if he were scum. I'm explaining my town read on him...

Like, because he cares which of us gets lynched first, but scum wouldn't, I'm giving him town credit.
I'm not going to give him any points for that one, if only because I have a sense of how easy it is for him to care about that as scum - including as fake-peeked, about-to-be-shot scum. Difference between this game and the last newbie I played was I've since gotten to see him play a (rather good) scum game.

Also he's admitted to having to reread at some point, so whatever caring is colored by what he's seen or not seen of the thread.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #166 (isolation #16) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 139, TheGoldenParadox wrote:What about mozamis? He might be scum. He acts very pro-town but he may be an extremely smart mafia trying to throw Nauci and Alonzo under suspicion.
What do you see as pro-town from him in particular?
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #183 (isolation #17) » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 177, Nauci wrote:
In post 155, smilefires wrote:That said, @Nauci, where'd you find the definition that readily?
I'm sorry I'm not sure if I understand your question.

Find which definition readily?
About how the word "bus" is used here.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #218 (isolation #18) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Post by smilefires »

In post 185, Nauci wrote:I've played, uh, technically 5 games here (one was a no post 5 person game I replaced into) so I know what things mean here.

I just slip into other forum meanings sometimes.
Okay, this checks out. Makes me wonder whether SA has its own terminology actually, but I've never played there to know.
In post 193, Alonzo wrote:Moz. Straining to townread this guy. Smiles you are the psychologist... does he have little man syndrome?
Well, I'm not a professional or anything, but I've played with a few people like him before. I think he and I disagree on whether Nauci's post is a scum slip, obviously. Besides that, he has actually brought some points against you. For instance, I'm not sure what advantage town is supposed to get from you "showing early weakness" if you're town.

He's the one going for forming an early town core to lynch outside, which I think is what's making him seem rather set in his reads.
In post 199, Nauci wrote:My willingness to vote Alonzo is mostly because even if he's town he's going to be distracting lynchbait with so many posts that it doesn't really matter, IMO.

I'm not shy about policy lynching.
This isn't a policy I like to follow though. I'd rather you vote him if you believe he's scum.
In post 201, Bellaphant wrote:ugh, alonzo claimed? Seriously, guys, don't do this.
Is that not a thing? From my last game here I thought the "proper" or "encouraged" play was to look for claims at L-1 which is why I just let that roll. Not that it helped us not lynch the cop with an all-town wagon though.
In post 207, mozamis wrote:smiles, yiu're town i think - why no hammer for alonzo?
Basically this:
In post 187, Nauci wrote:I'm willing to hammer once we've heard more from golden, blooper, and Bella.
Plus, I believe "dead air, dead villager" can be a thing. While there was a bit of a rush after I pointed out that one post from Nauci, we settled into an uncomfortable lull after that, which suggests to me that mafia are fine with this if Alonzo's town. Some of that can be attributed to waiting for Alonzo to respond, but not all.

Like, acidphoenix still hasn't caught up. I get real-life stuff, but when we're verging on a possible lynch here I'd budget some time to take in the game and make sure the early lynch is a good idea.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #305 (isolation #19) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:55 am

Post by smilefires »

Hey, that worked out pretty well!

I...uh, actually haven't done much to catch back up yet because I thought there was a chance I'd be in the death rand. I think mafia choosing to kill off the lynch wagon is curious, but sure does make it easier to figure out what people were doing at the end of yesterday.

I don't think I ever lynch wilky today for coming in with the hammer. I also think Jo is pretty towny, and the wagon movement yesterday and acid's actions make Alonzo more likely town. So that's where I'm starting from. More later.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #360 (isolation #20) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by smilefires »

Here.

I think I get it.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #361 (isolation #21) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Post by smilefires »

I mean, I have to get around to believing it because that'd be amazing.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #362 (isolation #22) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Post by smilefires »

Okay, I'm not hammering or anything (I got confused by how many times Jo voted :P)

VOTE: TheGoldenParadox
putting him at 2.

I believe you.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #367 (isolation #23) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Post by smilefires »

In post 364, TheGoldenParadox wrote:
In post 362, smilefires wrote:Okay, I'm not hammering or anything (I got confused by how many times Jo voted :P)

VOTE: TheGoldenParadox
putting him at 2.

I believe you.
Smiles;
What makes you change your mind that quickly? Can you please quote specific posts that show that I am guilty?
It's not really about what
you've
posted. But I might as well run down the player list.

You're voting Alonzo; see, I think he's town because a flipped wolf wanted him to die for most of yesterday after moving to you for a bit.

Jo had been suspecting the more experienced players in the game from near the moment she replaced in and got caught up, and lynching acidphoenix is consistent with that:
In post 197, Jodaxq wrote:Coincidentally all the experienced slots in this game are the most concerning so far.

Bellaphant is probably the weakest scum read of them, but I really feel like a town IC should have way more to comment on and should be way more engaging than she has currently been. The fact that I feel like a scum IC should also have more to comment on makes me think that she could be having RL obstacles.

Mozamis whole game has felt a little bit strange. I really don't like his pushing for a "rushed" lynch as well as asking for a claim and then being impatient about receiving it. I also don't like how he defends his tunneling or post 35 where it feels like he's trying to garner early town reads.

AcidPhoenix has been the worst though and I have a bad feeling about him. He's generated basically no content except for post 101 which I don't like at all. It seems like very low-hanging fruit to comment on a list of names with no reads. I also don't like that he jumped on Nauci's slip with a vote for Alonzo, especially after he somewhat admitted that Alonzo could be lynch bait in post 89.
VOTE: acidphoenix
Bella endorsed an acid lynch as well before we went through with it:
In post 240, Bellaphant wrote:Acid still didn't really back up his readslist with anything concrete, like Jo said. There's been a ton of content from jo, wilky is obv!town, and there isn't any pressure towardss moz from this slot at all: in fact, I had no idea acid was scum reading moz, as previously they seemed to be agreeing. i'd Like to hear a bit more from paradox and smiles, but I'd be happy to vote here.
In post 270, Bellaphant wrote:acid, you need to claim.

p-edit,

ugh.

I hate that you can't back up your townreads, and as much as i don't wanna rush the day, I'm kinda okay with this.
and wilky came in with the hammer. If either wilky or Nauci happened to be busing with their posts toward the end of the day to acid, I'd probably still give them a day pass. Especially for wilky - the interactions that produced these posts:
In post 266, acidphoenix wrote:
In post 260, Izuru Kamukura wrote:I strongly don't give a shit about whether you want to hammer if it's based on, mostly, pedantic wording, especially in a world where
the same post
clearly indicates the order within the tier

I can't tell whether that's an actual intent to hammer or a i-want-your-reaction, if it's the former please repeat it and I'll claim
In post 262, Izuru Kamukura wrote:fucking I switched to phone and forgot this account was on an alt

obviously this is acidphoenix
zzz
would be serious scum theater if that's the world we live in, so I don't consider it a very likely world.

So that leaves you.

Jo, are you having fun?
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #396 (isolation #24) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:56 am

Post by smilefires »

So pirates > ninjas?

Thanks for running, ffery.

I had a lot of fun with my last post. :P TheGoldenParadox, good hustle but unfortunately the cop had the game locked up. I guess now we can ask for real why you killed mozamis?

Overall, rather pleasant game to play and I'd readily play with anyone in it again. Jo MVP probably, taking us home to a perfect town win.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #397 (isolation #25) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:01 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 371, Jodaxq wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on who the doctor could be in this game. Bellaphant and Alonzo claimed VT so I doubt they are it. I think Smilefires was legitimately worried about being the NK so I don't think he's it because he likely would have protected himself. It's between Nauci and Wilky but I really can't get a read on either of them. Maybe there's no doctor and everyone's vanilla townie?
I come from lands where doctors can't save themselves, so it's not usually something I think about. If that's different for this game, then my mistake.
smilefires
smilefires
Townie
smilefires
Townie
Townie

Post Post #405 (isolation #26) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 am

Post by smilefires »

In post 401, Jodaxq wrote:@Smiles, when did it click for you? I was trying to see what crumbs I could leave behind and what people might pick up on. Same question to others assuming you read those posts before my essential hard claim.
I got a little thrown off when you said TGP might accuse you of tunneling on him, but then #329 convinced me.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”